• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Volition is album of the year.

saw BTBAM on their recent tour as well, was hoping for a better encore but meh.
Volition is really good, i doubt its gonna make my AOTY list though, i lose interest a bit towards the end. it's definitely the second best PTH album.

i love White Walls, but i'm getting really irritated that i've seen BTBAM 4 times now and have yet to see them play Selkies which is the song that got me into them and prog metal to begin with.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
The problem is they hate the song, and hate playing it, because it's all people ever want from them. They know the song is amazing, but they got sick of playing it all the time.

At least that's what I can remember from an interview I saw with them a few years ago.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Dustie was really outspoken about how much he hated Selkies (this was around when Colors was just out) but more recently i remember him saying that he liked playing it again because he started harmonizing with the leads in the end instead of just doing the rhythm chords the whole time. I'm sure they are a little sick of it, but they always encored with Mordecai whenever i saw them except the last time

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I watched a more recent interview where they said White Walls is becoming Selkies in how much they hate playing it. I've seen White Walls 3 times now and I would gladly switch that out for Ad a Dglgmut/Selkies/Backwards Marathon

their best setlist was when they did the medley of old songs so i'm happy with that.

i know they aren't metal but i'm seeing coheed and cambria on monday. stoked

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
yea that post was right after a seeing them at a show
the high was still there lol

but anyway yea what is metal even anymore???????????????????????
like i listen to B4MV, Avenged, and Killswitch
which i thought were modern metal
but im told they're not, and it goes back and forth that they are....
i hear the former more so idk metal i guess

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141

They are what would be described as, well, radio metal or Nu-metal at times. Boring, unoriginal, and uninspired for the most part (some of Killswitch's work has been pretty decent and original, but not much). To say one wants to hear modern metal is a very broad term, considering the genre has expanded far beyond the simple variety that most people recognized back in the 80's. Now, bands can be anywhere from artsy and ambient to heavy, brutal and fast, sometimes within the same song! If you would like some suggestions, I'm pretty sure several people on here could help you a bit.

Also, DGD is pretty decent now with their new singer, I was rather impressed. Still doesn't make up for a lot of modern metalcore though (which a friend of mine has dubbed Nu-hardcore, instead of scenecore). :/

Morbi

Scavenger

I think they most closely resemble Metalcore. In a way they are modern metal, that is the direction that mainstream metal has been taken.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
the radio is so fail nowadays they don't even play those bands anymore

anyone have a couple recommendations for some good metal that keeps some roots??

i just went back and listened to Kill Em All -Metallica
damn what an album

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

anyone have a couple recommendations for some good metal that keeps some roots??

damn what an album
It's hard to say. like the melon! said, metal is extremely fragmented and full of variety now. i don't know of many bands that are really comparable to the 80s thrash era groups like Metallica nowadays.

I'll go out on a limb and recommend Meshuggah to you, as even though they've been active since the early 90s, their sound has gotten really popular in the past few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UISjgLu8zBA

Morbi

Scavenger

damn what an album
Slayer is probably one of the best Metal bands of all time. A lot of people make the mistake of just listening to Angel of Death/Rain in Blood. Some people actually listen to the full Reign in Blood album. However, a lot of their gems are in other albums. If you like "Kill Em All" you should also enjoy "Show no Mercy". It is really over-looked because it isn't as mainstream as Metallica or some of Slayer's later stuff.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Slayer is probably one of the best Metal bands of all time. A lot of people make the mistake of just listening to Angel of Death/Rain in Blood. Some people actually listen to the full Reign in Blood album. However, a lot of their gems are in other albums. If you like "Kill Em All" you should also enjoy "Show no Mercy". It is really over-looked because it isn't as mainstream as Metallica or some of Slayer's later stuff.
i love slayer man
the 1st album i heard from them was South of heaven
i haven't listened to show no mercy ill check it out

It's hard to say. like the melon! said, metal is extremely fragmented and full of variety now. i don't know of many bands that are really comparable to the 80s thrash era groups like Metallica nowadays.
I'll go out on a limb and recommend Meshuggah to you, as even though they've been active since the early 90s, their sound has gotten really popular in the past few years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UISjgLu8zBA
thanks let me check it out

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
A Lot Like Birds > Dance Gavin Dance in every single way. If anyone is a fan of The Fall of Troy I recommend checking out. Their first album Plan B has so many different styles on it (progressive, post-hardcore, hell even post-rock).

I like new A Lot Like Birds with Kurt Travis but it just isn't the same as the days of Plan B

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie
A Lot Like Birds > Dance Gavin Dance in every single way. If anyone is a fan of The Fall of Troy I recommend checking out. Their first album Plan B has so many different styles on it (progressive, post-hardcore, hell even post-rock).

I like new A Lot Like Birds with Kurt Travis but it just isn't the same as the days of Plan B
Back this hard.

Except that Jon Mess has the filthiest scream.
New Dance Gavin is solid though, Carve is such a standout, and Will Swan has always shredded.

As far as Metal, or more so Metalcore, I've been rocking the **** out of The Chariot after seeing them on their farewell tour.

Also to the dudes friend who dubbed the new scene style nu-metalcore, he nailed it with that one.

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
Some of my favorite bands:
August Burns Red
Of Mice And Men
Killswitch
BTBAM
Amon Amarth
Amon Amarth! Yesssssssssss! I remember when I saw them, think it was two years ago, at the Starland Ballroom in NJ. Went there with my dad, and it was one of those A Night With shows, so they played their entire new album, which was Surtur Rising at that point, and then did a second setlist of songs from the rest of their career. Probably one of my favorite concerts that I've been too.

On the subject of favorite bands, if I were to pick out five they'd probably be these:
Sigh
Gorguts
Sear Bliss
King Diamond
Boris

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Slayer (Thrash)
2. In Flames (Melodeth/Metalcore)
3. Death (Death)
4. Born of Osiris (Deathcore)
5. Iron Maiden (Heavy/Power)

Now here's a band I constantly forget and mean to check out. Only thing I had ever heard from them was Thy Mighty Contract. What other albums should I check out from them?
I am in the same boat, I am not sure which albums are good. I always want to get into them, but then I forget. :awesome:

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
1. Slayer (Thrash)
2. In Flames (Melodeth/Metalcore)
3. Death (Death)
4. Born of Osiris (Deathcore)
5. Iron Maiden (Heavy/Power)

I am in the same boat, I am not sure which albums are good. I always want to get into them, but then I forget. :awesome:
Hahahahahahaha guess I'll just have to do some research of my own then. Heard some good word of mouth about the album they put out this year, so I'll probably just start there and see how that goes. Incase you wanna check it out too, I'll leave this here for easy access:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A metal thread! Excellent. :grin:

My "niche", as it were, is Melodic Death Metal, though I dabble across various other genres as well. In recent months, I've been getting into post-rock/post-metal. Kind of mellow in comparison to my usual metal fare, but I'm slowly increasing my palette.

I suppose I'll do a list myself, in alphabetical order:

Agalloch
Alcest
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Behemoth
Be'lakor
Dimmu Borgir
Gojira
Insomnium
Kalmah
Meshuggah
Mors Principium Est
Ominum Gatherum
Septic Flesh
Scar Symmetry

A nice, round 15. And I've placed song links for each, in case anyone is interested and/or is unfamiliar with these groups. :)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
playing a show this month opening for Arsonists Get All the Girls, The Last Ten Seconds of Life, Seeker and Beyond the Shore (never heard of the last one). Arsonist's album from last year made my personal top ten of the year and they are one of the first heavy bands i got into as a teen and play a noticeable influence on my band. i don't really listen to any of the other bands, but i'm still so excited. it's going to be in my seriously tiny hometown venue and it's gonna be so fun.

anywayz, stuff i've been diggin lately:

Gridlink's new album longhena is unbelievably beautiful grind. yes i said beautiful. its like 20 minutes long, just listen to the whole album

new Architects is okay...hasn't grabbed me like the last two have but it's good i guess.

chiptune idm/screamo/gabber project Watabou also just put out an album called Plasticity. I think it is gorgeous personally. this album is even shorter than Gridlink's, so you can easily make time to listen to the whole thing

oh yeah, my band's also opening for Gigan in May. unbelievably stoked for this, because our music is very similar in some ways to Gigan's. crazy band, but mostly really bad production so i can't wait to hear them unhindered and in person

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
kinda grown out of my metal phase. been listening to a lot of Rings of Saturn though and I can't wait to hear their 3rd album with Infant Annihilator's drummer.

any fans of La Dispute? haven't really gotten into their new album but Vega and Altair is still a damn masterpiece

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Rings of 75% Speed Recording

I like a couple of RoS riffs but they all seem like major douchers so i kinda hate them.

anyways, played a really fun show with Arsonists Get All the Girls earlier this week. my band killed it, and AGATG got most of the crowd to take clothes off. one dude got butt-ass naked and moshed. it was so weird it was awesome. such a positive experience. much better than the hate mosh bull**** that happens with most modern 'heavy' deathcore bands i see most of the time.

my fav heavy release so far this year is Gridlink's Longhena. grindcore that can make you cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wQ10KTTgg

T

Trick or Treat

Only like 3 more weeks until Miss May I's new album drops. I can't ****ing wait!

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Rings of 75% Speed Recording

I like a couple of RoS riffs but they all seem like major douchers so i kinda hate them.

anyways, played a really fun show with Arsonists Get All the Girls earlier this week. my band killed it, and AGATG got most of the crowd to take clothes off. one dude got butt-*** naked and moshed. it was so weird it was awesome. such a positive experience. much better than the hate mosh bull**** that happens with most modern 'heavy' deathcore bands i see most of the time.

my fav heavy release so far this year is Gridlink's Longhena. grindcore that can make you cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wQ10KTTgg
gonna put this lame rumor to rest. yes on their first album they recorded at half speed and sped it up, but that was because their drummer at the time sucked ass and couldn't play it.

so they got rid of him and got a drummer that could play it so now if you watch them live they are spot on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom