• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You still don't quite understand. I'm not talking about tech death. Emotion doesn't necessarily imply introversion or the cliche idea. Rather I simply mean meaning behind the music; an idea or motive. Not just pretty guitar work because it's hard to play.
I'm confused. Are you saying that there aren't metal bands that are guilty of this?

anyhow, here's a couple modern metalcore/post-hardcore songs that are about passion and atmosphere before technicality.

HORSE- Big Business (especially the last half) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHo4aYOt6M

Darkest Hour- Ethereal Drain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEaSsmGioU there's some crazy shredding here but again, it totally works and is not shredding for the sake of shredding.

Alexisonfire- A Dagger Through the Heart of St. Angeles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyQZocCAzo

Cephalic Carnage- Hybrid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2eg6gfEipw has one of the strangest, most nauseating atmosphere around

There are plenty of valid criticisms for metalcore, I just don't think "mindless technicality" is one of them.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I'm saying the majority of metalcore is guilty of it and has far more punk influence than metal. If a bunch of indie bands added heavy bass and breakdowns, would you call them metal? You said yourself that 80% of the genre is garbage. And some bands aren't metalcore, but they classify themselves as metal and don't know anything.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I didn't think a band like Alexisonfire counted in that group, but I guess that song does (def their heaviest one).

Sadly, Red is right on this, most of the genre does take from more punk influences, but that's mostly because the genre is also a branch off of hardcore, which, as you know, is heavily influenced by punk. You can't expect everybody to just go one way with it though, so that's why we have a few good bands that break from that track, like the ones LuigiToilet listed. That's just how it goes usually. I personally think that most bands that are supposedly metalcore should be called hardcore because of that heaver punk influence. BUT, genres are just random groups. I mostly just go by good music, not bad music, and bad music.

:036:

BrutalXSpawn

Smash Apprentice
I know right,to me Metal is Metal,the sub genre labels dont mean anything to me,If I listen to a metal band that happends to sound good to me Ill like em.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I know right,to me Metal is Metal,the sub genre labels dont mean anything to me,If I listen to a metal band that happends to sound good to me Ill like em.
If I listen to anything that sounds good to me, I listen to it. But if I happen to find out later on, at some point in time, that the band went on a murder frenzy or supported a load of bs that I'm against; that are against my beliefs, I'll stop supporting them. Basically where I stand.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I think of it like this:

If you see a cop doing drugs (which there are in some cases), it's kind of hypocritical for a cop to be doing that sort of thing, considering that they enforce the law yet break it. Why would you support someone like that?

Just my example... Not a good one, but I tried off the top of my head.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That's not a good example at all actually. Music making has absolutely nothing to do with something like enforcing the law. It would only be hypocritical of a metal band to do immoral things if the band spouted religious/moral themes in their music.

gm jack

Smash Lord
That's not a good example at all actually. Music making has absolutely nothing to do with something like enforcing the law. It would only be hypocritical of a metal band to do immoral things if the band spouted religious/moral themes in their music.
Exactly. Bands like Behemoth make it well known they aren't fans of religion, so when they sing anti-religious songs, it's hardly hypocritical or hurting anyone.

Besides, a band has no power unless you let it. It's just a collection of sounds in the end. Lyrics with typically taboo themes can either be absolutely horrific and against everything you stand for, or they just sound pretty good with the music. Not many Cannibal Corpse fans want to go around killing people in the most horrific ways possible. Not all Deicide fans are deistic satanists. However, people listen to them because they like what they here.

TL;DR What is the difference between a piece of music singing about murder and you average horror film?

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
And if you listen to a metal song and get insulted by it, you're basically doing what they wanted in the first place.

TL;DR What is the difference between a piece of music singing about murder and you average horror film?
That's it right there. Horror movies are also one of the things that inspired the genre anyway.

@ Luigitoilet: Perhaps there are just too many scenesters in my classes. Glad I'm graduating in a month. Also, find me a cephalic carnage link that doesn't have so much static, it was interesting.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
And if you listen to a metal song and get insulted by it, you're basically doing what they wanted in the first place.

That's it right there. Horror movies are also one of the things that inspired the genre anyway.

@ Luigitoilet: Perhaps there are just too many scenesters in my classes. Glad I'm graduating in a month. Also, find me a cephalic carnage link that doesn't have so much static, it was interesting.
Yea youtube quality sucks.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.aspx?ArtistID=10021

They have two songs on their label site.

My personal favorite one is "Lucid Interval" . that's on their myspace (as is a slightly higher quality version of "Hybrids"

http://www.myspace.com/cephaliccarnage

BrutalXSpawn

Smash Apprentice
But not all black metal bands are against religion,look at Amon Amarth their musics about viking folktales and stuff relavent to that matter.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
But not all black metal bands are against religion,look at Amon Amarth their musics about viking folktales and stuff relavent to that matter.
I said nothing of that; there's the share of both good and bad metal bands. It's just a matter of what they support and how their actions indicate their beliefs.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Amon Amarth are not black metal lol. An example of non-religious black metal would be Graveworm.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Umm, Amon Amarth are melodic death metal. Behemoth are blackened death (more to the death side of things recently).

The biggest example of non-religious black metal I can think of would be Immortal.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I saw Lordi at ozzfest they put on a good theatrical act and I used to like the musically but yeah they arent very good.

gm jack

Smash Lord
They got "fame" from winning a European song contest, which is classically hilariously bad. I would question respecting them, or what your definition of a classical sound is.

Top Bottom