• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Metaknight should/will be banned" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Whether or not MK is ever banned (it's highly unlikely he ever will be), for the time being, the best thing to do is to learn how to beat him. He gives my DK pains, but I put up a decent fight and am improving. You can't complain about MK if you don't bother to learn how to beat him.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Whether or not MK is ever banned (it's highly unlikely he ever will be), for the time being, the best thing to do is to learn how to beat him. He gives my DK pains, but I put up a decent fight and am improving. You can't complain about MK if you don't bother to learn how to beat him.
Um... this?

Half the people I've seen complain about MK have never even been to a tournament. He definately has some moves that are broken, but unbeatable? The Infinite Cape Glitch is banned (and even that wasn't completely unbeatable), so there aren't any unbeatable techniques.

If you guys put half the time you put into trying to make Meta-Knight seem more broken instead of finding ways to beat him, then maybe he wouldn't be so hard.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guys...its relatively simple: if your main is bad against MK, pick up a secondary for dealing with MK that doesn't have such an upwards battle. Suddenly, you can pick off the MK players and use your actual character against everyone else, pretty soon those MK players will have to use secondaries for their bad match ups, and viola, lots of variety.
But that would require them to do some, gasp, extra work to win!

Seriously, if Meta is so retardedly easy to play and win as, then why don't all the whiners just use him as a secondary for their bad matchups?

Been there, done that. I have three mains (Mario, Ness, and Wario) and three secondaries (Ice Climbers, Fox, and King Dedede). My secondaries were mainly chosen to deal with Metaknight, King Dedede, and Snake. Also, Metaknight doesn't really have any "bad matchups". He has just Snake which is probably 60/40 in Snake's favor. Sorry to be such a whiner but I don't really care for Snake's playstyle and I don't regularly play as characters I don't have fun playing as, call me crazy. .
Wario has an even or next-to-even matchup against Meta. In fact, I believe he has a better matchup against MK than all of your secondaries.

Don't forget tornado, drill, and dsmash too... God I hate his dsmash...
His Dsmash is pretty slow. Why are you whining about it?

Sky`

Smash Lord
You assume and there inlies the problem. That's like assuming that all Wolf players will just spam the lazer and fsmash, Kirby players will try to Kirby-cide you at least once during the match, and all Ike players main killing move will be ftilt. I don't think it's ever safe to assume anything unless you're really familar with the person you're playing against. Sure, you can expect things but that doesn't automatically mean they will happen. For example, I when I'm training against other people and trying to help them improve and I'm using Metaknight, I will usually use Metaknight's tornado to recover. Now, I know that definately isn't the standard when it comes to Metaknight and my opponents usually act really surprized when I do it. This is probably because a majority of people assume that I will always the shuttle loop. I can also say the same thing about Mario's FLUDD because I usually use it more to stop attacks than for gimping.

Denying the base assumption that the shuttle hoop move will be used when available to gimp is ignorant. It's harder to hit with it now, because everybody is anticipating it, but it is still used. And if you can really show me a very good Meta Knight who does not use that Tornado, I'll give you a hug. There are certian things that metaknights Have to do in order to be successful. It's mainly about prediction.

In short. WHen I'm comming back from the edge, or when a Metaknight finishes a throw to an Fair, I always assume that he/she is going to Shuttle hoop me. That assumption is what saves my life, cause I am able to think about it, and avoid it.

I still fail to see your point in that post though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As I mentioned earlier, that's not the only problem though; there's also a ton who people who switch to Metaknight because of his freakishly small learning curve when they hit a snag with their own mains. Yeah, there are people like you and me who are trying to learn how to beat Metaknight with their respective characters but there are also a ton of people who don't even want to bother with it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wario has an even or next-to-even matchup against Meta. In fact, I believe he has a better matchup against MK than all of your secondaries.

1. As I mentioned earlier, if someone with as much range as Marth has like 70/30 match up against Metaknight, how on Earth could Wario be even? He wrecks most of Wario's approaches and doesn't have that much of a problem gimping him since shuttle loop can knock him off his bike. The only thing I'd say Wario really has a leg up on is that he can kill Wario with a half charged Waft at like 60% but that isn't exactly the easiest of Wario's moves to land.

2. His Dsmash is faster than Wolf's, can easily be chained together with other attacks, and doing it right after a spot dodge is amazing... What are YOU talking about?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
But that would require them to do some, gasp, extra work to win!

Seriously, if Meta is so retardedly easy to play and win as, then why don't all the whiners just use him as a secondary for their bad matchups?

Well if everyone just used MK as a secondary then we'd have even more MKs in the tournament scene. I think the reason people are suggesting a ban in the first place is that there are too many MKs which destroys the viability of any character with a severe disadvantage against MK. Getting a secondary specifically for MK is a plan but there aren't really that many characters that do very well against him. (Which isn't to say they don't exist.)

So if you try to main a character who is weak against MK then you probably won't get a chance to use them much due to the abundance of MK players. So you'll have to main your secondary (making them your main) and if you're lucky you'll get to use your main once in a while.

Thus the only characters that are viable are going to be MK and the 6-10 characters that counter (or at least have neutral or slightly disadvantageous matches with) MK. So the cast of 35 or so characters becomes significantly diminished. This is arguably worth banning a character.

Of course this is all theory and is vastly oversimplified but I think that is the general argument in favor of such a ban. If the above scenario played out and we saw half or more of the roster drop out of the tournament scene entirely because they don't match up well against MK a ban might be considered. Right now we really haven't seen that yet though... So its a bit premature to ban him. Right now I'd suggest looking at tournament results and letting them do the talking.

GofG

Smash Champion
As we all know, Fatmanonice, range is the only factor involved when determining matchups.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
yeah, MK's Dsmash is 5 frames faster than G&W's Dsmash, and Game & Watch's downsmash is (apparently) the best in the game because of its speed and power.

Sky`

Smash Lord
I can't believe you guys are even seriously considering banning a character.
Justifying it and everything...
Come on, y so srs?
That would be a stupid choice...

GofG

Smash Champion
Sky, no-one with any power is saying that metaknight should be banned because no-one with any power is that stupid. This is just a bunch of feb2008+ scrubs, plus Yuna.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Sky, no-one with any power is saying that metaknight should be banned because no-one with any power is that stupid. This is just a bunch of feb2008+ scrubs, plus Yuna.
Why do you say that if you joined past Feb 2008, you're a scrub?
As if joining a website late defines ones skill, or diminishes ones opinion.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Well if everyone just used MK as a secondary then we'd have even more MKs in the tournament scene. I think the reason people are suggesting a ban in the first place is that there are too many MKs which destroys the viability of any character with a severe disadvantage against MK. Getting a secondary specifically for MK is a plan but there aren't really that many characters that do very well against him. (Which isn't to say they don't exist.)

So if you try to main a character who is weak against MK then you probably won't get a chance to use them much due to the abundance of MK players. So you'll have to main your secondary (making them your main) and if you're lucky you'll get to use your main once in a while.

Thus the only characters that are viable are going to be MK and the 6-10 characters that counter (or at least have neutral or slightly disadvantageous matches with) MK. So the cast of 35 or so characters becomes significantly diminished. This is arguably worth banning a character.

Of course this is all theory and is vastly oversimplified but I think that is the general argument in favor of such a ban. If the above scenario played out and we saw half or more of the roster drop out of the tournament scene entirely because they don't match up well against MK a ban might be considered. Right now we really haven't seen that yet though... So its a bit premature to ban him. Right now I'd suggest looking at tournament results and letting them do the talking.
Oh my gosh, QFT.
This is my opinion exactly, except i couldn't express it well.
MK is not Akuma, he's Old Sagat.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Denying the base assumption that the shuttle hoop move will be used when available to gimp is ignorant. It's harder to hit with it now, because everybody is anticipating it, but it is still used. And if you can really show me a very good Meta Knight who does not use that Tornado, I'll give you a hug. There are certian things that metaknights Have to do in order to be successful. It's mainly about prediction.

In short. WHen I'm comming back from the edge, or when a Metaknight finishes a throw to an Fair, I always assume that he/she is going to Shuttle hoop me. That assumption is what saves my life, cause I am able to think about it, and avoid it.

I still fail to see your point in that post though.
The point of my post is to say that you shouldn't assume that everyone who plays as a certain character will always use the same tactics in the same situations. You can expect it, perhaps, if it is commonly used but to map out your opponent entirely in your head if you've never played them before is kind of pointless unless it turns out that your opponent plays exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, by the book.

LSDX

Wah!
Wow, this debate has really boiled into something extreme, harhar.

But anyway, let me lay it down like this and I'll do it in numbers.

1. Metaknight is beatable; maybe not all characters can do it, but if you have predicting skill and you know the properties of your opponent, it's highly possible to defeat opposing Metaknights.

2. Yes, Metaknight is broken. This is probably because Masahiro S. put all his admiration into one character that he influenced the balance crew to tip the odds in his favor (but that is all me 1/2 kidding, who knows right?).

3. When you verse one Metaknight, you've versed them all (most of the time, 70% of it). They usually play in one of three manners.

a. One would be the arial beast where they dominate and gimp with fairs, countless Uairs, and sh dairs. Occasionally they like to mix some bairs in with their moves, but that is only to confuse you with their fairs. If this is the Metaknight that you deal with, keep a good distance, shield-grab occasionally, and use projectiles to get them on the ground.

b. The second Metaknight would be classified as the ground combatant. This type will wreck you with close range ftilts and throw you off with A standards and dtilts. The one move they like to abuse the most of any is the dsmash which can finish a good amount of characters off around the 110% mark. If this is the Metaknight you deal with, try short hopping your aerials and use constant shielding and shield-grabbing. If it is to your preference, pivot grab if you like to throw them off, or "try" to dashdance the best you can.

c. The last type of Metaknight is the special-move spammer. 9/10 of the time they will abuse their Mach Tornados and Shuttle Loops. If anything, they will mix this with grabs to knock you up into the air to begin using their specials. If this is the Metaknight you deal with, SHIELD-GRABBING IS A MUST! I can't stress that enough. I know the whole shield grabbing maneuver sounds repetitive, but with Metaknights, it's extremely vital that you apply this technique.

These are just my "opinions", nothing factual or anything like that, just me stating what I feel will help others at least try to achieve better status in the Vs. Metaknight match-ups. Please no flamming, these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As we all know, Fatmanonice, range is the only factor involved when determining matchups.
You know, despite Wario being disadvantaged against both Marth and Snake for having so many attacks with disjointed hitboxes while most of Metaknight's attacks are just that. Not the only factor but certainly a big one in this case.

Why do you say that if you joined past Feb 2008, you're a scrub?
As if joining a website late defines ones skill, or diminishes ones opinion.
Welcome to Smash Boards; where someone can truely be better than someone else because they know more about a video game... :laugh:

GofG

Smash Champion
Sky: I have nothing against people who joined later on rather than earlier on. it is SPECIFICALLY the crowd that showed up in february, i.e., the brawlers who have no melee tourney experience. If you can find me someone who joined in February who had Melee tourney experience, please do. I think I already found all of them, they're on my exceptions list.

LSDX

Wah!
Welcome to Smash Boards; where someone can truely be better than someone else because they know more about a video game... :laugh:
Good job Fatmanonice, at least somebody here has the kindness to accept newcomers to the boards unlike the 3/5's of members here who will shun out 80% of the community if they have a 2008 registration. I know I have a 2008 sign-up also, but I've been playing smash since the 64 era along with Melee. I don't care what any of you say like, "Uh, you newb. Go find some other forum to pester because we don't want little scrubs like you bickering in our threads." Anyone who says anything remotely close to that is just as pathetic as any other "bully". Just thought I'd share my opinion.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
In what way is it slow?
his Fsmash is slow but his Dsmash is among the fastest in the game.
I just got called a scrub for asking that question. Thanks to my join date nonetheless.

>.> I want a ****ing answer before I go punch a kitty.

Yeah not only is MK's dsmash slow, but his aerials all have huge lag, and are super easy to punish. And his b moves are like impossible to use and situational. Right.

Sky Hazuki

Smash Apprentice
Me.
Wanna see some of my RAnkings in some Melee tourneys about 2 years back? I wasn't the best, but placing 12th out of 40 my first Melee tourney at Bi weeklys where such names like ISai, Germ, and most of DBR attended, I'd say it's pretty **** good. <3
ADD MEH TO UR EXCEPTIONS LYST.
The other account. Sky`

GofG

Smash Champion
Oh, the orgasmic irony.
I cannot quite understand what you're saying here.

Metaknight's dsmash is far from slow. Also, Falconv1.0 is not a scrub.

Sky: No. Lol. You don't have a 2008 join date. You have a 2006 join date.

In any case, if you were refering to my comment about it's all scrubs and yuna, I refer to Yuna when I want to talk about the anti-brawl anti-scrub extremism that i so fervently belong to.

RDK

Smash Hero
Not seeing it since his dsmash isn't slow.

Seriously, wtf, it's one of his 2 main kill moves, and it's spammed like crazy by some people.
The fact that it's "spammed like crazy" means people shouldn't even be whining about it in the first place. If it's that predictable, then predict. If it's spammed as much as you say, the move deterioration shouldn't make it as big as a problem as it would be when preserved.

In what way is it slow?
his Fsmash is slow but his Dsmash is among the fastest in the game.
Among D-smashes it's definetely not the fastest. When compared to G&W's or Wolf's D-smash (and, ironically, the rest of MK's moves excluding his F-smash) it's rather slow.

LSDX

Wah!
I just got called a scrub for asking that question. Thanks to my join date nonetheless.
Sorry man, that's exactly what i was trying to stress above. For some reason, I feel the Smash Community is declining in the way we treat each other determined by how much knowledge one has of the smash universe and tournament settings. Plus on top of that determined by the date of registration makes people thing you are inferior to the rest of the boards. It just makes me sad sometimes that we treat each other like this.

GofG

Smash Champion
Among D-smashes it's definetely not the fastest. When compared to G&W's or Wolf's D-smash (and, ironically, the rest of MK's moves excluding his F-smash) it's rather slow.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185726

It comes out on frame 5 (that's 1/12th of a second) and is a solid KO move that hits both sides of him that is spammable out of shield.

Ike's fsmash is slow. Metaknight's dsmash is fast.

McSnapple: Falconv1.0 is one of three exceptions on my list. >.<. He is not a scrub and should not be looked down upon by anyone. That does not change the fact that people who joined this forum for brawl and have no experience with Melee have a different mindset than people who joined long ago for Melee; this new mindset comes with the scrubbiness of playing a children's party game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

This was tested repeatedly.
G&W's Dsmash is slower by about 3-5 frames. During the bit where he raises his hammer.

Wolf's I am unsure about but I am quite sure the difference is roughly the same.

Its not slow.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The fact that it's "spammed like crazy" means people shouldn't even be whining about it in the first place. If it's that predictable, then predict. If it's spammed as much as you say, the move deterioration shouldn't make it as big as a problem as it would be when preserved.

1.)Not whining about it, it's not even that smart to spam it anyways, but people still do.

2.)It seemed more like MK's dsmash was just being called slow, not slow compared to his other moves.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
The fact that it's "spammed like crazy" means people shouldn't even be whining about it in the first place. If it's that predictable, then predict.

I don't think its the fastest. (I could be wrong but I think Zelda's may be... I heard that somewhere...) but its still pretty fast. And while its slower than the rest of his attacks isn't that to be expected since its one of his more poweful moves? I think its a bit quicker than it should be based on its power. Not like... broken fast but still fast enough to be annoying.

GofG

Smash Champion
Metaknight's dsmash comes out on frame five, or 1/12th of a second after pressing the button.

No more talking about how it's slow.

LSDX

Wah!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185726
McSnapple: Falconv1.0 is one of three exceptions on my list. >.<. He is not a scrub and should not be looked down upon by anyone. That does not change the fact that people who joined this forum for brawl and have no experience with Melee have a different mindset than people who joined long ago for Melee; this new mindset comes with the scrubbiness of playing a children's party game.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I just also receive this flack every now and then because of my registration date. I did have another account on here (Dekuknight950) which was made in 07', but I wanted a fresh start in any fact. Sorry for the inconvinience, but I just wanted to get my point across in general to the community because it really bugs me to no end when people look down on others just because of that reason even though I know of many who have recent sign-ups and have many valid arguments to back up their cases here on SWF. I really wish people would agree with my logic here.

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
I dunno, I guess I just haven't been playing high-level players, but all of the guys I know that use MK suck with him.

Except that one guy who just seems to kick *** with everyone. I think we all know "that guy".

RDK

Smash Hero
The point being made was that MK's D-smash was ridiculously fast in relation to everyone's D-smash, or even other moves. That's just not true. Although I do admit I was wrong on it being faster than G&W's.

Sorry man, that's exactly what i was trying to stress above. For some reason, I feel the Smash Community is declining in the way we treat each other determined by how much knowledge one has of the smash universe and tournament settings. Plus on top of that determined by the date of registration makes people thing you are inferior to the rest of the boards. It just makes me sad sometimes that we treat each other like this.
It's not that everyone who has forum or community experience thinks allpeople with new join dates are stupid or scrubby. It's just a default position that we take, because that's overwhelmingly the case. Those who prove to be against the grain quickly make a name for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom