• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metagame Discussion Thread

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I played competition at my school and when I started bringing along Stealth Rock people thought I was stupid. Haha, that was funny. It might kind of over-centralize the game, "forcing" you to have a rapid spinner or what not. But anyways, all in all it's an excellent move to have. You **** the **** out of bug, fire and flying type and hm ice too I think. I made one person I played with go mad, and I mean freaking crazy pissed off at me for having brought stealth rock. Ah good times

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Timssu, that set's terrible for a number of reasons. Vaporeon is one of the best defensive pokemon, maxing it's speed is useless. Secondly, if you wanted to baton pass to Blissey it needs to be modest. Third, if you're baton passing to a pokemon that's supposed to sweep it needs to be able to sweep. Swampert will roar that *expletive* out in a second.
The set was more or less for moveset, not EVs. And for the record, I've never used either of them. Also note that I said I just got it off the top of my head, meaning that I never bothered to look up base stats. Mix that together and you get a bit of a misguided overall set. But meh, whatevs. Although also note something not quite right on your end. I said 'if they don't have a phazer', which basically means RAWR KILL THE PHAZER. I only mentioned two Pokemon together on a team. There's another four slots to prepare for the likes of phazers and wall-breakers. Just something to note.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Hm... Question, how could I get a good competitive Gardevoir? I've got a scarfed one which seems to do good on Wifi, but then thats Wifi.
Gardevoir is a pretty good alternative to Alakazam. I've picked her just because she's way more sexy.

A scarf can be a good plan. I've never been fond of scarfs or whatnot but I guess it compensates for her lack of speed.

Thing is, she tanks WAY better than special. Heck even the physical is better.
Just go something like this (if you want to keep the scarf)
Gardevoir@Scarf
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 Spd (Go more speed if you don't feel as confident, lower the HP)

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

You get a pretty solid sweeper right there. Play with the moves. Energy Ball isn't that bad (I wiped a Rhyperior in a tourney by guessing a swap, it was awesome)

But if you don't go scarf. Tank, status etc. is wicked sick

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Gardevoir is know for its expansive support movepool, with Hypnosis, Light Screen, Reflect, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Wish, Memento, and Trick. Its excellent base 125 SpDef makes it a decent special wall if you don't want to go the offensive route.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The set was more or less for moveset, not EVs. And for the record, I've never used either of them. Also note that I said I just got it off the top of my head, meaning that I never bothered to look up base stats. Mix that together and you get a bit of a misguided overall set. But meh, whatevs. Although also note something not quite right on your end. I said 'if they don't have a phazer', which basically means RAWR KILL THE PHAZER. I only mentioned two Pokemon together on a team. There's another four slots to prepare for the likes of phazers and wall-breakers. Just something to note.
I mean, once Blissey was "set up" there's nothing stopping Swampert (or some other pokemon) from coming in and making sure that you just wasted two turns. Your Blissey didn't have any moves that could hurt Swampert. That's what I was saying, she can't sweep with two attacking moves. It's far too easy to wall her.

If you're not even going to bother to look up base stat's or at least be familar then you shouldn't be giving advice. I'm not trying to a jerk I'm just trying to stop the spread of bad advice.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
wckd, your mention of the fact that Stealth Rocks
**** the **** out of bug, fire and flying type and hm ice too I think
is exactly why they are not worth having. Fire-types were already on strings from Rock-Ground combinations and the sheer number of Water-types; Stealth Rocks wiped most of them off entirely. Almost no Bug-types are viable in OU because they can seldom prevent Skarmory from whipping them into the pointy stones. Most importantly, I can't use Jumpluff because it needs the Focus Sash to work properly...
Jumpluff...O
held on. O:crying:O

Rose

Smash Journeyman
I played RSE a lot back in the day with a bug mono team. I enjoyed myself, developing ways to get around LOL I STALL U teams. In DP, running a bug mono seems impossible because of SR. I dunno, I haven't played much DP, I should probably try harder before calling it quits. SR is pretty ridiculous on bugs though.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I was crunching some numbers last night, and I was amazed that Quagsire did so well against Metagross.
With Damp, Metagross can't really do anything against Quagsire.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
I was crunching some numbers last night, and I was amazed that Quagsire did so well against Metagross.
With Damp, Metagross can't really do anything against Quagsire.
Unfortunately, if it's the Mixgross type (still out there, just not as common as the other sets), then it can nab an OHKO on Quagsire with Grass Knot..

Bulky water set:
257 Atk vs 166 Def & 394 HP (80 Base Power): 464 - 548 (117.77% - 139.09%)
Curse set:
257 Atk vs 214 Def & 394 HP (80 Base Power): 360 - 424 (91.37% - 107.61%), which is a 41.03% of OHKOing without SR and a 79.49% of OHKO with SR up.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
...Mixgross?

Stats:
Code:
| Metagross  | Move         | Earthquake       |    80.8 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Meteor Mash      |    67.3 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Explosion        |    61.1 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Bullet Punch     |    52.7 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Stealth Rock     |    40.2 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Thunderpunch     |    28.1 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Agility          |    17.4 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Ice Punch        |    12.6 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Zen Headbutt     |     7.0 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Trick            |     5.4 |
| Metagross  | Move         | Other (9)        | <   5.0 |

| Metagross  | SpAttack EV  | None             |    96.4 |
| Metagross  | SpAttack EV  | Other (2)        | <   2.2 |
Source

supermarth64

Smash Ace
It's in the analysis, but no one uses it. Just trying to right a wrong statement.

He can learn it, but almost no one uses it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
****, I forgot Metagross can learn grass knot.
Wait, can he not? Now I'm confused.
He can learn it, but it's very rare to see one that has it. Basically what he gave you is a list of the moves most used for Metagross' moveset. Grass knot would fall under the 'other' category along with 8 other moves, meaning that your chances of running into a MixGross with Grass Knot are about 1.11% if you also consider that your standard MixGross is set to run HP Fire (which also falls under 'other') with Grass Knot.

This does make me wonder though. Why don't more people use the MixGross set? Metagross isn't exactly lacking in the SpA area (even if it does pail in comparison to his Atk), and it does make a lot of his usual counters rethink their switch-in.

Hmmm...I might have to try this on my Sandstorm team. Never really thought about using it before, and now I'm not sure why I didn't. :ohwell:

EDIT: Ninja'd by supermarth. D:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ah I see, that list he provided was of the most used moves, not the list Metagross can use. I see.

copy pasta from Smogon
Mixed Attacker
Life Orb / Expert Belt Naughty
252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Grass Knot
a mixed Metagross would be scary, and greatly limit his counters down to essentially Rotom.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Of course he could run Pursuit on that set instead of Hidden Power Fire, but then loses coverage against Skarm. =\

-Terywj
Somewhere in the description of the set it mentions Shadow Ball, which I'm guessing is meant to replace HP Fire (I don't believe it specified in this description though). I think that part just comes down to what your team has a weakness against.

ss118

Smash Master
That it does. Breloom ***** scarftar, though, and breloom is a scary thing to give free turns to.

I've had fun that takes advantage of this very simple fact: get SR, a bunch of pokemon scarftar comes in on(latias, starmie, etc), and breloom and you are good. randomly focus punch **** ftw

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
nobody likes dugtrio anymore :(

keep a scarfer in the wings after you revenge their dumb scarftar and then you **** with all those fun base 115s

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I've been pondering HP Fighting Latias as a ScarfTar lure. Thoughts?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Latias is being considered because of Specs ripping **** apart.

A really bad reason, IMO.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Necro.

Latias isn't going to be banned. It's not that versatile and it's not that centralizing.

The only thing I really took out of that podcast was that AgiLucario can be not too bad. I still liked it though.

ss118

Smash Master
I'm about to post a big RMT soon about a whole new team arch-type that has been thought of very little(if at all).

Get pumped.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
AgiLucario sounds like a weaker, frailer, faster AgiliGross.
Yeah, only thing AgiLucario has going for it is STAB CC.
I guess I'll play around with it though, it looks fun to use.

The podcast got me interested in LO Sceptile, SpD Skarm and Leadchamp w/ BP as well.

Riddle

Smash Lord
The team was mostly a joke but Jirachi was meant to sweep.

I think the team was:

Sub/WoW/roar/Roost Moltres
Sub/Twave/roar/Roost Zapdos
SR/Spikes/Roost/WW Skarmory
Scarf Starmie with Recover
Wish/Iron Defense/CM/Flash Cannon Jirachi
annnnnnd Idk what the last one was

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol