• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metagame Discussion Thread

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Jirachi has so many viable and semi-viable sets, it's ridiculous.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Jirachi running Wish / Cosmic Power / Charge Beam / Water Pulse are pretty boss.

Anyways, are we going to merge the two threads or what...?

-Terywj

ss118

Smash Master
90% accuracy is a *****, though.

I used Wide Lens on mine. Helped with Doom Desire, as well. I suggest starting with Dual Screens, though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I dunno if it's worth the loss of Leftovers recovery.

Doom Desire's 8 max PP is disappointing.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Zapdos could just stall jirachi out of PP if it were a subroosting set. :)

12 charge beams and 4 doom desires away from making jirachi totally useless.

ss118

Smash Master
not actually.

get +6 SpA, then use doom desire. on the 3rd turn use charge beam to break the sub and kill with doom desire.

Now I want to make a team based around Doom Desire Jirachi. I guess it would be possible to use on the defensive Jirachi CM sets. Hell, even without CM it'd be a *****.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ur speakin my language ss118

that thing is the cutest thing ive ever used

i love killing even ttars and latis when they switch in on a doom desire that was used on something else

i feel like it needs to be supported by stuff that can beat heatran, earthquakers (which is like everything), and pp stallers

but once those are gone

doom jirachi literally tears through everything

lol

and i like when slow earthquakes do less than 37% after a cosmic power, rare but it happens sometimes

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
i love killing even ttars and latis when they switch in on a doom desire that was used on something else
Well that's why it can be so effective, right? Doom Desire targets the Sp. Def. stat of the Pokemon you used it on, not on the one it hits.

Kill a Blissey with it, and then party. XD

-Terywj

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
There's a lot of confusion between Battle Tower and Poke Lab right now, mostly because Poke Lab use to be the place for the best competitive pokemon people only.

But yeah, this should be in Pokecenter.
So, SHOULD Latias be banned, if she is, what do you expect to come of it? What drastic changes to the Metagame would you expect to occur? I imagine TTar's useage would drop largely, but that's rather obvious. Perhaps Sczior too? he's still a beast without or without Latias running around, but with Latias and ChoiceTars he gets to have even more fun.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't know about Infernape usage, but with Latias gone perhaps it will become more favored, and as a result Tentacruel usage would also rise along with it.

ss118

Smash Master
I don't think Latias needs to go, personally. It's usage does have a tremendous effect on what is being used, as does Salamence. Scarfed Tyranitar(what would have been considered a gimmick) is now rising tremendously in usage, and is the current metagame's most overwhelming set because of how much it can force into a pure "dead" scenario. Scarfed Scizor can do it, too, but isn't used enough because everyone relishes it's STAB, Tech'd Bullet Punch too much so it won't gain popularity until the smogon analysis is finished. And I used it on my "purely gimmick" team that got an amazing amount of wins.

It went Scarfed Scizor Starter, Expert Belt Latias(Gimmick at the time), WishMence(still gimmick but worked well with the team), Special Attacking Tyranitar(Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Superpower: nothing T-Tar does is gimmick), Specially Defensive+Trapping Heatran(Magma Storm, Stealth Rock, Taunt, Explosion: best for clearing Blissey and letting Latias sweep), and a "wall-breaker" gyarados(Waterfall, Earthquake, Taunt, and filler[usually Stone Edge]).

As you can see it was top 6 pokemon with random sets, in order.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I prefer Crunch > Dark Pulse on that ttar. Lures in scizor better. and mukking up scizor is the best thing ever.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Haha I totally forgot this was OU. Need to stop thinking everybody plays ubers. However, I still see the merit of crunch since Latias <3's scizor dead and can handle the other three.

ss118

Smash Master
Nope. Latias is gone. I don't really care, but meh w/e.

I don't think Mence is uber and I'll fight to ensure his stay in OU.

ss118

Smash Master
Pretty much.

Just go CC/Overheat/ThunderPunch/Filler with max attack + speed. With SR up, you pretty much 2HKO everything by CCing first. If you don't, either have a lure/ check for it or use the filler space to specifically design this infernape to finish it. Suicune gets annoying, well use Grass Knot. Plain and simple.

Note: this is to be used in the metagame WITHOUT Salamence. Even with mence, you could use this to take off a huge chunk if it ever shows its face.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Infernape needs to run swords dance more with latias gone.

SD/FB/CC/Stone Edge(U-turn)

Scouts, can sweep late-game, has great power, nice speed, and will destroy things once everything faster is trapped and killed off.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I wonder if Tentacruel usage will go up. That'll probably save it from UU, lol

Swords Dance Nape gets worn down by Flare Blitz recoil, something I don't really like all that much. I'm still a big fan of the good ol' four-attack Infernape.

I'm guessing most teams will be carrying Gyarados, Infernape, Lucario, xor Gliscor. CroCune and Empoleon might be more popular.

Starmie might be a nice Latias replacement.

Top Bottom