• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metagame Discussion Thread

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
ZOMG SCARF DUGTRIO

every team should run a scarfed dugtrio, it's just funny to see running around.

Imagine if Heracross and those ****ing ducks had gone down to UU at the same time...

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ducks and bugs pillowfighting everywhere.

I definitely saw a comment on how Moltres could switch-in on Heracross.

Needless to say, I lol'd.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
That's funny. Everyone said that about Gallade.

Prove it.

Heracross will be sent to BL almost as quickly as Cresselia and Porygon2 were.
Look I'm not denying that he'll be sent, but you don't send a Pokemon before they get play time. Arcanine and Houndoom are good checks. They can't be OHKOed by the choice scarf set, and outruns every other set possible. Weezing is a great counter, taking very little damage off of even the choice band set using just its standard physical wall. Offensive Miltoc is another possible Check. Running a Choice however could leave you open to a Mismagius set up, not something I'd want to see.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Since when can Houndoom take a Close Combat.

Or Weezing do anything but Pain Split off damage.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Houndoom doesn't need to take a Close Combat. He's a check not a counter. He comes in and threatends a OHKO. I didn't do the calc so maybe I'm off on Houndoom OHKOing him.

Weezing regularly carries Flamethrower, and easily suck up his attacks, as well as recover with Plain spit.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
And so running Heracross with Flash Fire Arcanine becomes a staple where Arcanine absorbs the Fire-type moves bar Will-o-Wisp and Heracross takes the Earthquake for Arcanine.

If you're running Choice Scarf just hit Mismagius with Stone Edge on the predicted switch-in. If not then switch-out immediately into Registeel.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I like Heracross in UU just because...everybody will overprepare for it, leaving their teams weak to other more fun things.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Just thinking about it, Heracross would be a monster if it packed U-Turn. Like, insanely good. But that's probably already been discussed here. It's a **** shame...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh god, CB U-Turn would ****ing ****, especially with a decent speed stat and non-****ty other moves

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
While we're wishing I also wish *insert attacker here* had instant recovery so it could also run a bulkier *insert set here*.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Heracross just needs Earthquake for fire pokemon and Grass Knot for bulky waters, but those moves are already waaaaay over distributed. Sadly though, nothing else works, and even then, he's got a preeety big 4 movepool syndrome.

Well wait maybe it doesn't. I'd have to do some Calcs.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Heracross already has Earthquake, and Grass Knot isn't going to accomplish anything on that base 40 SAtk.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't see why Heracross would use Earthquake. Close Combat and Megahorn are great STAB, and something like Stone Edge and Pursuit would be other move selections. Earthquake at best hits something like Arcanine harder.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Wait, crap, for a second I thought Heatran resisted fire XD No idea why.

And I was talking about OU

EDIT Resisted Fighting, not Fire, he's immune to that o_O maybe I should get some sleep.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The only reason Heracross sucks in OU is because he is weak to too many common types.

Either way, SubSD Hera seems like a great set on paper once you get rid of Rotom.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The only reason Heracross sucks in OU is because he is weak to too many common types.

Either way, SubSD Hera seems like a great set on paper once you get rid of Rotom.
Not true. He's weak to Fire as the only commonly used type. In terms of things like Flying and Psychic outside of maybe Lead Elf and Bounce Gyara/Togekiss you're not gonna see a lot of those particular types. Heracross is bad in OU due to his middling speed and general lack of an ability to be unpredictable. If you're going to use something that's slow, hits hard and is weak to fire you might as well go with Luke who at least gets Extremespeed and has a higher Base Speed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The funny thing is that just about all of Heracross's checks and counters reside in OU.

Wrath`

Smash Master
You can't transfer items over from Black and White, which means Rotom figures will be GONE.
That's a change in the metagame I like.
No, not necessarily, All they have to do is have a room in some town with the same 5 Appliances. Why would gamefreak get rid of pokemon formes?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Gamefreak carried over Deoxys forms from Gen III.

They're going to carry over Rotom's, Shaymin's, and Giratina's from Gen IV.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
No.

Besides, why do you hate the Rotom forms so much?

Top Bottom