• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metagame Discussion Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think you need to play better people. You know, the ones who don't try to outrun Jolteon with a base 90 speeder (unless it's a Scarf lead, which it clearly isn't).
If he switched, I would have gotten my Sub still... Roserade loses.

And I'll post my stuff in the Jolteon thread. No need to post it here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A pHazer switch-in wouldn't lose to Substitute. Again, though, Roserade attempted a status on something that outspeeds and has a known Substitute set that is actually identical to yours. I'm not even going to comment on the Dragonite switch-in into Extremespeed.

Riddle

Smash Lord
TRG, you are obviously very confident in your sets (Bronzong and Jolteon mainly), so here is what I suggest:

Go on Shoddy Battles ladder using a team with both of them and ladder for awhile. Once you get above say...1350 CRE. Then tell us about your innovative sets. Anecdotal evidence against bad people isn't going to convince anybody. Try to get higher so you beat decent people and then maybe we will believe that your sets are actually good.

There's no hope in you just arguing with us.

ss118

Smash Master
1350? Isn't that a bit low? I think getting on the leaderboard itself would be much more sufficient. I'll test it out, in any case.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think 1350 is a pretty good point for finding decent people.

ss118

Smash Master
I'm currently seeing a lot of Machamp starters.....

what do you do versus them? Run Slowbro/ Spiritomb?

Edit: btw I'm using the Jolteon starter if that helps.

ss118

Smash Master
Doesn't exactly help Jolteon take down Machamp.....

So what I'm thinking is using stuff like Gyarados who need Electric attacks to take down(might even go as far as to make it super-bulky with rest[might go chesto or rest-talk]), as it has good synergy with Jolteon. Afterwards I want a REALLY good response to Machamp because dat ***** be annoying as hell. I might go Dusknoir for cool points(steal my friend's pressure stalling one lol), but more likely I'll go either Slowbro or Spiritomb, both of which are.... underused, but can't be considered non-usable.

Edit: Actually I'm currently going Jolteon/Gyarados/Dusknoir/Gengar/Heatran/Skarmory. Seems strange but.... we'll see.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Conservative Rating Estimate: 1303
Rating: 1395-1457
Volatility: 0.049037673178038

I dunno, unless the logs you've been posting are a couple days old, I don't see how your rating could've dropped by over 50 from what you claim unless you've been losing more than you've been winning.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I swear I've been dropping out of matches left and right these past few days testing stuff out. I stopped caring about my rank after a while. I never took my rank as seriosuly as some of you might.

I've been close to the 1400's I can't prove that with a pic or anything but all I can give is my word. I'll build my rank back up though since people seem to actually care about it.

Oh and I'm still going to post the stuff in the Jolteon thread. Can't now I'm currently in an airport.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What I care about is you showing a legitimate battle involving lead Jolteon gaining momentum against proper choices. Not only is Roserade an uncommon lead (seen less than lead Blissey), but from what I've seen, you've typically ended up with strings of bad decisions giving you something like a 5 turn lead.

ss118

Smash Master
stop using that thread. if you want to talk about your lead, post in the OU lead thread. hell, continue posting in THIS thread. we don't need things to be more muddy'd up than they are.

The jolteon is OK: usually I found myself just switching out early and never bringing it back in till late game, where it wrecks. Occassionally it helped out early game: at the moment I would use HP Ice. With Mence gone, it seems that more Flygon and Gliscor are showing up than Swampert. I also use HP Grass on Heatran, so that helps out a lot against it I guess.

But I'll tell you one thing: this Gengar set wrecks in the current metagame:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate: Timid
4 HP, 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Pain Split
Taunt

I know the only special move is Pain Split: and even then, the only thing that seperates it then is Taunt over Substitute. I feel with Mence gone, taunt has turned into such a devestating move(well, more devestating lol). Stall teams can't do anything against its power as you wear them down. My heatran in the back LOVES Blissey out of the way, so that works as well. Gengar is also my answer to Machamp starters after Jolteon loses to them(sac Jolteon, go to Machamp).

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Physical LeadZelf 0HKO's LeadChamp, easily.

Kirbyraeg is the first person to bring it to light here, so he gets all the credit.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Jolly / Levitate
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Zen Headbutt
U-Turn
Explosion
Stealth Rock

LO is needed to get the 0HKO on Machamp with Zen Headbutt.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you make Azelf Adamant and give it an Expert Belt, it can still guaranteed OHKO Machamp while bluffing a Sash or Choice item.

Incidentally, a Modest Azelf with Sash has around a 50% chance to OHKO Machamp with Psychic. Stick an Expert Belt on him and you can even run Naive.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Max SpAtk Timid Alakazam: 88.7% - 105.5%
Modest: 97.6% - 115.5%

Max Attack Life Orb Azelf: 104.5% - 123.4%
Adamant + Expert Belt: 106.3% - 125.2%

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes (Modest, 97.6%-115.5%) but it loses that surprise factor, since it's pretty obvious what an Alakazam is going to do.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Adamant Metagross with any boosting item OHKOs with Zen Headbutt.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Adamant Metagross with any boosting item OHKOs with Zen Headbutt.

And here I thought this was fixed.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The last post was TODAY chill, this didnt need a bump >__>

Anyways im debating on whether or not to quit pokemon. Stall has become absurd at this point, i cant take it any more. I played 22 matches today, 18 were stall, 1 was Baton Pass, 1 was Rain Dance, 1 was Trick Room, 1 quit because my Slowbro killed his lead Elf when he tricked specs on me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Like I was told, just wait a bit until people realize that stall is easily broken through.

This is why I still see a rise in Nape usage

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Trick Room Rampardose, that's who. lol at the rage quiter though.
Also, Chill is bumping because of all the new threads that were made, he's bumping the threads that were there before.

ss118

Smash Master
Try using a combination of pokemon to break stall.

Example: Some sp. attacker with Toxic. Use it on Blissey as it comes in. Switch to CB Tyranitar. Sure aromatherapy versions get by it, but they still get worn down quite easily if they don't aromatherapy as soon as it gets Toxic'd.

I like using:

Infernape @ Expert Belt
Blaze: Lonely/ Hasty/ Naughty/ Naive
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Attack
Close Combat
Overheat
ThunderPunch
U-Turn

It does a good job into tricking people that it's a choice user. Basically try to get down SR and 1 layer of Toxic Spikes and you are golden: simply spam U-Turn initially(bringing it into Celebi works) and get ahold of how they check you. With stall teams on the rise you need more power behind your attacks, which is why I use a +Attack nature. Though if opposing offensive teams get popular, then max speed+LO would be better. Another thing that breaks stall pretty hard is the Gengar set I mentioned a bit ago.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm going to bump this just because tons of threads that aren't supposed to be getting this kind of competitive discussion ARE getting it.

Post it in here. >.>

Dr. Riddler

macman|Riddle
Good idea, Tentacruel can't counter Infernape, discuss

Edit: I do this a lot don't I.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
apparently it happens a lot.

if twice is a lot.

tentacruel can counter infernapes that aren't dumb and run swords dance.

Dr. Riddler

macman|Riddle
Ive done it 7 times (now 8) actually. Look at the postcount >.>

My point is that there is no Tentacruel set that can counter every Infernape set.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Ive done it 7 times (now 8) actually. Look at the postcount >.>

My point is that there is no Tentacruel set that can counter every Infernape set.
I kind of assumed that part of that post count was for whatever game it was you made the acc. for (i don't know whether they track post count in those rooms or not though :p).

Also that set sounds like a *****.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Forum D-Games don't get post-count because you're expected to regularly make lots and lots of posts, some of them rather short.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
so who here has actually played shoddy in the last month or so?

tell me the 3 most common pokemon besides heatran that you saw.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Eh, I don't really keep track, but Machamp, Ttar, and Blissey just seem to be everywhere =)

Top Bottom