• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Actually it would probably be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judGOHdE0bM

Edit: Even though I posted the TRUE victory theme

THIS one is much better, even if it's not a victory theme. It just feels so victorious
Oh, trust me I'm not denying the glory of the Classic Megaman victory theme, but I just happen to really like the Megaman X one that's all. It just sounds so....triumphant.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
X and Mega Man are brothers with sibling rivalry. He wouldn't like it if his less advanced, but older brother stole his theme.

D

Deleted member

Here's my template for the Mega Man for SSB4 select screen:

Not sure what to do with pictures or how to make the text more 8-bit. Some advice would be helpful here.

Thanks.

And before anyone ask:
Mega Man: Who Is Mega Man?
Chance Man: What Are Mega Man's Chances?
Stage Man: Stage/Assist Trophies/Etc.
Music Man: Music
Movesets Man: Move Sets
Support Man: Supporters
Fan Woman: Fan Contribution
Link Man: Other Places Support Mega Man As Well
Info Man: Information Regarding Mega Man and Smash

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's my template for the Mega Man for SSB4 select screen:

Not sure what to do with pictures or how to make the text more 8-bit. Some advice would be helpful here.

Thanks.

And before anyone ask:
Mega Man: Who Is Mega Man?
Chance Man: What Are Mega Man's Chances?
Stage Man: Stage/Assist Trophies/Etc.
Music Man: Music
Movesets Man: Move Sets
Support Man: Supporters
Fan Woman: Fan Contribution
Link Man: Other Places Support Mega Man As Well
Info Man: Information Regarding Mega Man and Smash
Will they have faces? If so, it'd be awesome. Anyway, are you taking more music request? I still got a few suggestions.

D

Deleted member

Will they have faces? If so, it'd be awesome. Anyway, are you taking more music request? I still got a few suggestions.
I want to do faces, but the thing is, I can barely draw anything, even with just a computer. And yes, I'm really, really bad at drawing.

As for music requests, send them out. I'm all ears as long as they're Mega Man musics. We can't deny any of them a spot.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Then there's Mega Man x Street Fighter, though that game was originally fanmade and isn't canon.
There's also the fact that Kirby gets powers from enemies on the spot.
MM doesn't get it until after beating the boss. It could even be inferred from MM2 and MM7 that Dr Light has to build the weapon for him first.

MM unlike Kirby brings a fixated repertoire to battle. He never gains or loses abilities in the middle of the action.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We will also have all six NES Mega Man games on the 3DS Virtual Console by E3 2013. I myself downloaded Mega Man 3 (which is my favorite game in the classic Mega Man series).

I asked this in the Ridley topic, but how are all you Mega Man fans going to to celebrate if he ends up being confirmed in six weeks time?

D

Deleted member

We will also have all six NES Mega Man games on the 3DS Virtual Console by E3 2013. I myself downloaded Mega Man 3 (which is my favorite game in the classic Mega Man series).

I asked this in the Ridley topic, but how are all you Mega Man fans going to to celebrate if he ends up being confirmed in six weeks time?
Scream to the top of my lungs all over Smashboards, GameFAQs, Capcom-Unity, etc.

Afterwards, call out Mega Man detractors on GameFAQs for highly undercutting his odds (because you know that dedekong and MrSpacelySlate will try to deny they ever considered Mega Man to have next to no chance of ever getting in) and hope that dedekong will leave the forum after knowing that his only source of respect goes down the drain or otherwise people ignore him (detracting from Mega Man).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I'll most likely will play a Megaman game in celebration. Either that or play a couple rounds of Melee. Better yet, I could do both.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Probably the same thing I did when Sonic was revealed, check all the websites to see if it was a hoax, then stare at the screen in disbelief and spend the next 2 years in a daze.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic had a big fan support thread and I remember us all commenting in that thread (I think it actually became the Sonic character thread on Brawl) and it was like one big party. This thread is a lot weaker (Sonic's thread had almost 1000 pages of posts) but hopefully we can have a party like that when Megaman joins.

D

Deleted member

Sonic had a big fan support thread and I remember us all commenting in that thread (I think it actually became the Sonic character thread on Brawl) and it was like one big party. This thread is a lot weaker (Sonic's thread had almost 1000 pages of posts) but hopefully we can have a party like that when Megaman joins.
Mostly has to do with the fact that the thread had a weak OP before I stepped in and the fact that this is the calm before the storm.

We've got to find a way where everyone can celebrate together if Mega Man gets in. Maybe we can all play our Mega Man game of choice and communicate our experience?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well to be fair, Sonic had 1.5 years to reach that amount, and secondly, with the site revision a page of posts is now 40 posts, not 15 as it used to be.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, give the thread some time. As of this moment its still one of the bigger threads in the Character Discussion section. And we haven't even seen a trailer for the game yet.

D

Deleted member

Eh, give the thread some time. As of this moment its still one of the bigger threads in the Character Discussion section. And we haven't even seen a trailer for the game yet.
Right now, it's the third-biggest thread for character discussion, which is no doubt helped by my takeover of this thread. I feel as had I been the OP from the start, this could have been the biggest one around, but I'm happy with the fact that there's more discussion going around.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

volbound1700

Smash Master
Agreed, none of the character threads match the support threads leading up to Brawl. In fact the hype right now is not as big. Perhaps when the trailer comes out it will increase. I really think the heavy amount of modding on here has turned off a lot of posters. In the Brawl era, you had like 100 different threads about the same topic because people would post new threads often rather than go dig up the previous. The Sonic was one of a few that actually just kept bumping up and support (It wasn't the only Sonic thread as well).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Agreed, none of the character threads match the support threads leading up to Brawl. In fact the hype right now is not as big. Perhaps when the trailer comes out it will increase. I really think the heavy amount of modding on here has turned off a lot of posters. In the Brawl era, you had like 100 different threads about the same topic because people would post new threads often rather than go dig up the previous. The Sonic was one of a few that actually just kept bumping up and support (It wasn't the only Sonic thread as well).
I didn't join brawl hype until AFTER the trailer. I didn't even know it was being made, so I have no idea what the hype was like previous to it. Though it didn't come out until 2008, I believe I saw the trailer in 2006 - 2 years of additional development after it

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ Psycho - Yeah it was probably greater after the hype and we may see a resurgence after the trailer.

I also think though that a lot of the hype built for Brawl ended up being not just its undoing but the undoing of Smash in general. So much more was expected then received with Brawl. There is a lot of pessimism this time around, I mean look at the roster threads.

Ironically, Megaman not being in Brawl was one of the MAJOR dissappointments about the game from fans. People also expecting Geno, Krystal, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, and more.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure whenever to feel disappointed that I missed out on the pre-Brawl hype (outside of looking at news) or glad considering that sooooo much drama went around that it might as well have been the ultimate definition of lulz. I mean just look at ChronoBound's post on pre-Brawl Fire Emblem war (on the Roy thread). It's like the Smash fan base stuffed too much down their guts and can't eat anymore. On the other hand, it would have been so much fun that I would have never left the scene (and I would have expected waaaaayyyy too many characters and got even more disappointed than I did).

As for pessisism, I haven't noticed too many. A lot of the rosters range from 50-58 characters (transformations included). Though there are plenty that are below that and even below 45.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There was some more hype during the pre-unveil for Brawl than there is right now. I think there is a wide assortment of factors for this (less Nintendo fans now, less well known characters to add, Brawl being a disappointment for some, etc.).

I don't think modding has has an impact on the level of hype for Smash 4 on this site, considering GameFAQs has not acted even more hyper than it usually does.

Also, there were plenty of long-running support threads aside from the Sonic one during pre-Brawl.

@ Psycho - Yeah it was probably greater after the hype and we may see a resurgence after the trailer.

I also think though that a lot of the hype built for Brawl ended up being not just its undoing but the undoing of Smash in general. So much more was expected then received with Brawl. There is a lot of pessimism this time around, I mean look at the roster threads.

Ironically, Megaman not being in Brawl was one of the MAJOR dissappointments about the game from fans. People also expecting Geno, Krystal, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, and more.
Yes, there is going to me a massive deluge of new posters and hype once we actually get an unveil for Smash 4. We are going to be nostalgic for how things our now once we get hit with it.

I would not say the hype for Brawl was its undoing. There were tons of characters in which there LOTS of requests for that ended up getting in as playable characters:
- Wario
- Pit
- Meta Knight
- Ike
- Diddy Kong
- King Dedede
- Sonic
- Olimar
- Wolf
- Lucario
- Toon Link

There is only so many characters you can add to a game, and many people simply did not temper their expectations. Brawl's roster was great, and almost perfect in my opinion.

There is not so much pessimism this time but rather more people have learned to keep their expectations in check.

I'm not sure whenever to feel disappointed that I missed out on the pre-Brawl hype (outside of looking at news) or glad considering that sooooo much drama went around that it might as well have been the ultimate definition of lulz. I mean just look at ChronoBound's post on pre-Brawl Fire Emblem war (on the Roy thread). It's like the Smash fan base stuffed too much down their guts and can't eat anymore. On the other hand, it would have been so much fun that I would have never left the scene (and I would have expected waaaaayyyy too many characters and got even more disappointed than I did).

As for pessisism, I haven't noticed too many. A lot of the rosters range from 50-58 characters (transformations included). Though there are plenty that are below that and even below 45.
Pre-Brawl's post-unveil period was absolutely insane. I think there is a decent shot we may end up getting that crazy this time again too, especially with the unveil likely confirming the few obvious newcomers that there are this time.

As for the Smash Bros. fanbase, getting too much stuffed down their gut and can't eat anymore, I think that describes myself but not so much the rest of the fanbase.

For those that actually want to see idiotgeddon and massive fanboy armies and wars, well be careful what you wish for, because it could very well come true in just six weeks time.

That is why I am hoping Ridley and Mega Man get confirmed when Smash 4 is unveiled. The idiot mob will mindlessly parrot the various detractor points against them.

The introduction to third-party characters in Smash Bros. made a lot of the fanbase absolutely looney for several months, and a lot of people stuffed their rosters with a ton of third-party characters until Sakurai clarified that there would only be another 1 or 2 third-party newcomers added for Brawl.

However, who knows, for all I know, things could simply remain as how they are now except with much, much more activity.

I do think at the very least we are going to be seeing a lot of craziness during the first three months after the unveil.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Brawl's biggest failure was online play, in my opinion. Had Brawl had just a decent online system, it would likely have been a far bigger hit.

The dissappointment for the roster was really more about size for Brawl fans then the actual inclusions. Many people expected more and they expected a big name surprise (some thought this would be Megaman). Most of the biggest names were already known to us ahead of time. ROB, Wolf, and Lucario really didn't surprise or excite anyone. Wolf was the most recent addition because logically he is the best option for Star Fox outside of Fox and Falco but yet many people were not happy with his inclusion for some reason and he never got a lot of hype. I think having Landmaster times 3 as a Final Smash was not very popular and led to the Krystal should have been in backlash.

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
Yes, there is going to me a massive deluge of new posters and hype once we actually get an unveil for Smash 4. We are going to be nostalgic for how things our now once we get hit with it.
There wasn't really ever a great time to be in the Smash 4 speculation scene ever since Smash 4 got announced, but in a way, this is true. The one thing I can appreciate is that we became a tight-knitted community from people all over the world discussing their love for the series. We've learned a lot from each other and I have even seen things in this community that changed the way I viewed myself. Smash 4 is more than just a game for me, it's an experience I won't ever get again.

When post-Smash 4 unveils period start, the tight-knitted community will no longer exist or at least be moved to the social groups. I know that ToiseofChoice won't be posting back here again when we get the group back.
ChronoBound said:
That is why I am hoping Ridley and Mega Man get confirmed when Smash 4 is unveiled. The idiot mob will mindlessly parrot the various detractor points against them.
This, especially on Mega Man. With Ridley, if he weren't confirmed, at least detractors only have "he's too big!" on their size and can easily be laughed at. However, the same can't be said for Mega Man. Detractors have a lot more knives and bombs to throw on the fan base (especially on the "Capcom hates Mega Man!" argument) and these have already worked well on other sites. It's really only this site where I haven't seen a ton of pessimism for Mega Man.

Plus Mega Man, if not confirmed at E3 this year, could very well be thrown into a big third-party war similar to the one for Fire Emblem pre-Brawl. Ridley is pretty much just alone when it comes to a Metroid rep, but there are going to be quite a few third-parties with a relatively decent-sized fan base. Bayonetta for one I feel will end up being the Geno of SSB4 and I do expect her fan base to be rabid due to Bayonetta 2 being a Nintendo exclusive, the misinterpretation that because Kamiya doesn't mind Bayonetta in Smash that he'll push for her and teh bewbs. Either way, just like Ike required your effort to survive pre-Brawl, Mega Man will require mine to keep the fan base from collapsing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Brawl's biggest failure was online play, in my opinion. Had Brawl had just a decent online system, it would likely have been a far bigger hit.

The dissappointment for the roster was really more about size for Brawl fans then the actual inclusions. Many people expected more and they expected a big name surprise (some thought this would be Megaman). Most of the biggest names were already known to us ahead of time. ROB, Wolf, and Lucario really didn't surprise or excite anyone. Wolf was the most recent addition because logically he is the best option for Star Fox outside of Fox and Falco but yet many people were not happy with his inclusion for some reason and he never got a lot of hype. I think having Landmaster times 3 as a Final Smash was not very popular and led to the Krystal should have been in backlash.
Wolf was just as highly requested as Krystal was in the West. Lucario was the most wanted Pokemon newcomer. They excited A LOT of people.

Also, most people realized Wolf getting in over Krystal was the right decision a year after Brawl's release.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The biggest things that Sakurai, Nintendo, and now NAMCO can take away from Brawl backlash and improve on in the next game are the following:

1. Keep the fighting style fast and fun like Melee. Do not slow it down and do not make it defensive. Also balancing is a must.

2. No cuts - The backlash over Mewtwo and Roy should have taught Sakurai that

3. Online - The future of video gaming is online. See World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Halo, etc. Seems that most video game companies have figured that out and Smash should not be an exception. Make online fun, easy to meet fighters, and most importantly allow the games to be customized and have a host.

4. Don't reveal everything before release. Perhaps reveal third parties for hype but hold back some big 1st party surprises for the final release. I felt that keeping us in the dark on Pokemon Trainer, Customize stages, and perhaps Diddy Kong or Wario would have been a great idea for Sakurai.

Biggests success of Brawl

1. Dojo
2. Sonic - Trailer and announcement was excellent, in fact all the trailers for Brawl were great.
3. Great roster selection
4. Music was amazing as was the settings
5. Modes, size, scope all great
6. Keeping gamecube controllers

volbound1700

Smash Master
Wolf was just as highly requested as Krystal was in the West. Lucario was the most wanted Pokemon newcomer. They excited A LOT of people.

Also, most people realized Wolf getting in over Krystal was the right decision a year after Brawl's release.
I didn't see that excitement on here. Most people complained about Wolf and ROB as well as Toon Link. Lucario was just not discussed a lot for some reason. Most people were upset Mewtwo was cut.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I didn't see that excitement on here. Most people complained about Wolf and ROB as well as Toon Link. Lucario was just not discussed a lot for some reason. Most people were upset Mewtwo was cut.
You are forgetting just how loud the Krystal fanbase was during pre-Brawl, of course they would put up a big stink about their rival character getting in while their own did not. Not to mention the Krystal fans thought she was a shoe-in due to a voice actress leak in which Krystal's voice actress confirmed that she was reprising the role of Krystal for Brawl.

As for whining about Toon Link, it was the same deal. Midna fans were very loud and aggressive, and they were very angry that their rival character got in while their character did not.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You are forgetting just how loud the Krystal fanbase was during pre-Brawl, of course they would put up a big stink about their rival character getting in while their own did not. Not to mention the Krystal fans thought she was a shoe-in due to a voice actress leak in which Krystal's voice actress confirmed that she was reprising the role of Krystal for Brawl.

As for whining about Toon Link, it was the same deal. Midna fans were very loud and aggressive, and they were very angry that their rival character got in while their character did not.
I supported Midna but I was glad Toon Link made it. I was a no cuts fan back then and still am for Smash 4. I don't want any cuts more than anything haha.

1. No Cuts
2. Megaman
3. Pac-Man
4. Skull Kid - will not happen
5. Prince Fluff

My top five desires. I also like all the popular picks like Ridley, King K Rool, Little Mac, etc. Not wild about them but would make me smile to see all of those in the game as well.

Also Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario return would excite me.

Megaman is my number 1 newcomer just like Sonic was real popular for me pre-Brawl. I also supported Megaman pre-Brawl and had his name listed in my avatar. Megaman didn't get the hype he is getting now unfortunately.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Really Chrono, you should write a book on the Brawl Speculation scene. :)

I'll miss you when you leave. :(

D

Deleted member

Just remembered this question and it's pretty important:

Did Sakurai go after Sega to get Sonic or was it Sega that got Sonic into Brawl? I just want to make sure here, preferably with a link.
--
volbound1000 said:
Megaman is my number 1 newcomer just like Sonic was real popular for me pre-Brawl. I also supported Megaman pre-Brawl and had his name listed in my avatar. Megaman didn't get the hype he is getting now unfortunately.
Interested to see what your avatar was.

It's true that Mega Man won't be able to reach the same level as Sonic (although no one can ever hope to beat Sonic). Still, the fact that Shortie poll has him placed as the most wanted character in the West, even over juggernauts such as Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo, is impressive in itself and is encouraging.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can probably find some info about it in the Directory thread, I'd help but that's one bit of info that I don't know off the top of my head. Not sure if it really matters anyway, either Sakurai or Capcom can make the attempt it's just that Sakurai has the final say (wasn't it Kojima who went to Sakurai not the other way around?).

BTW, out of curiosity, is anyone else currently subscribed to Worlds Collide? Just got part 4 in the mail today, good stuff.

D

Deleted member

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/04/30/snazzy-mega-man-3ds-case-coming-to-capcom-store

New Mega Man 3DS case for it's 25th anniversary that can be ordered through Capcom's store. It doesn't make up for it's very shoddy 25th anniversary overall, but it does show at least some effort from Capcom's part to show that they don't hate Mega Man.

Plus the case does look good. Still crossing my fingers for an E3 confirmation in six weeks.
How long do you bet it will take for them to cancel releasing the case? :troll:

D

Deleted member

How long do you bet it will take for them to cancel releasing the case? :troll:
They'll cancel it eventuallly... only after the case gets into some people's hands. :troll:
--- said:
Can probably find some info about it in the Directory thread, I'd help but that's one bit of info that I don't know off the top of my head. Not sure if it really matters anyway, either Sakurai or Capcom can make the attempt it's just that Sakurai has the final say (wasn't it Kojima who went to Sakurai not the other way around?).

BTW, out of curiosity, is anyone else currently subscribed to Worlds Collide? Just got part 4 in the mail today, good stuff.
I asked because Sven has told people numerous times on Capcom-Unity to ask Nintendo about game and that it's not up to them to decide who gets in. I have a feeling that this means they're not going to push for Mega Man and that if Mega Man gets in, Sakurai has to come after him. At least we can say that from what we know, Capcom wouldn't object to having Mega Man in Smash.

As for the comic books, I do plan on hitting up the Archie Mega Man comics. Glad you can read them on my iPad too.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I hope Mega Man gets into Smash 4. I was disappointed he wasn't in Brawl. Classic or X, I don't care which (as long as it's not Battle Network). He just deserves a spot; if Capcom isn't gonna do **** for him, someone should. The Blue Bomber and a Castlevania rep are the only third parties I'm really interested in, and Mega Man more so. Here's hoping for an E3 reveal!

D

Deleted member

I hope Mega Man gets into Smash 4. I was disappointed he wasn't in Brawl. Classic or X, I don't care which (as long as it's not Battle Network). He just deserves a spot; if Capcom isn't gonna do **** for him, someone should. The Blue Bomber and a Castlevania rep are the only third parties I'm really interested in, and Mega Man more so. Here's hoping for an E3 reveal!
Mega Man being in Smash 4 is pretty much the best thing I see coming out of this anniversary since I don't imagine Capcom will be making a good game for a few years.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Just remembered this question and it's pretty important:

Did Sakurai go after Sega to get Sonic or was it Sega that got Sonic into Brawl? I just want to make sure here, preferably with a link.
--
Interested to see what your avatar was.

It's true that Mega Man won't be able to reach the same level as Sonic (although no one can ever hope to beat Sonic). Still, the fact that Shortie poll has him placed as the most wanted character in the West, even over juggernauts such as Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo, is impressive in itself and is encouraging.
My screenshot was what it was now. My Avatar/signature simply stated "Sonic and Megaman for Brawl." LOL.

Also as for level of popularity, no character right now is as big as the poll support for some of the characters for Brawl. Sonic, Diddy Kong, Krystal, Geno, and even Ridley at that time had large support bases then anything I have seen pre-Smash 4.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My screenshot was what it was now. My Avatar/signature simply stated "Sonic and Megaman for Brawl." LOL.

Also as for level of popularity, no character right now is as big as the poll support for some of the characters for Brawl. Sonic, Diddy Kong, Krystal, Geno, and even Ridley at that time had large support bases then anything I have seen pre-Smash 4.
I think people realize that SSB4 will be their last chance to get Ridley, Geno, K. Rool..... or at least for a long time, that's why there is some fierce debate. Though if it isn't as bad as the Brawl hype..... I'm not sure what holding it back.

D

Deleted member

Counterargument #2 has been posted for everyone to read. Only three more to go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom