• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Did you beat Cutman yet? If I'm right, Cutman's weapon should be Elecman's weakness. If you didn't beat Cutman, using just the Mega-buster should be enough to beat Cutman.
Yes, I beat Cutman. I didn't think about that being his weakness.....

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I think it could go either way in regards to which Mega Man character gets in.

Classic has the advantage of being the most popular and iconic sub-series of Mega Man as well as the one most people think about in regards to appearing in Smash. However, X is not to be ruled out because he has more to work with and could integrate into a fighting game better. Fans have also wanted X to be in a fighting game for a very long time and Smash would be a great way to give him a shot.
DASH (Legends) is very popular in Japan though. I wouldn't rule it out either. I know Volnutt got his time in TvC, but I could honestly see them throwing him in for how many possibilities he has. All of those weapon change shenanigans would work well for a fighter like Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, I beat Cutman. I didn't think about that being his weakness.....
Cut Man: Use Super Arm (You cannot use Super Arm against him on Wily Stage 2 due to the lack of Arm Blocks.)
Elec Man: Use Rolling Cutter
Ice Man: Use Thunder Beam
Fire Man: Use Ice Slasher
Bomb Man: Use Fire Storm
Guts Man: Use Hyper Bomb
Rock Monster: Use Thunder Beam (Use NES pause glitch to defeat him for a nice quick knock out.)
Clone: Use Fire Storm/Thunder Beam (NES pause glitch can help you if you had trouble fighting him.)
Bubbles: Use Arm Cannon and Super Arm (Super Arm covers the last 4 Bubbles.)
Wily Form 1: Use Fire Storm
Wily Form 2: Use Thunder Beam/Rolling Cutter (Use NES pause glitch if you have a little health left.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Which voice actor would you rather have for him. His Marvel vs. Capcom voice or his Mega Man 8 voice?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd prefer a new one that doesn't sound like Dr. Light permanently installed tight underwear.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Which voice actor would you rather have for him. His Marvel vs. Capcom voice or his Mega Man 8 voice?
They both suck, just get the guy from Powered Up.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Cut Man: Use Super Arm (You cannot use Super Arm against him on Wily Stage 2 due to the lack of Arm Blocks.)
Rock Monster: Use Thunder Beam (Use NES pause glitch to defeat him for a nice quick knock out.)
Clone: Use Fire Storm/Thunder Beam (NES pause glitch can help you if you had trouble fighting him.)
Wily Form 2: Use Thunder Beam/Rolling Cutter (Use NES pause glitch if you have a little health left.)
Thanks. I'll finish the game soon now.

PressStart

Smash Cadet
Electrical Communication? Was that the Anime theme in Megaman 8?
Yeah! They used it in Super Adventure Rockman too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF6l0d1-39A
I think the song is way rad and would be just as rocking as "Live and Learn" was for Sonic's debut, but since it's not as well known it'd probably be a bad idea (really unlikely it would get used anyways...)

About Mega Man's voice actor... here's a terrible video I made awhile back showing off some of Classic Rockman/Mega Man's voices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2RZ2gLHj14

Concerning an English voice actor, I don't think they should fret over getting anyone from the past. Ian James Corlett honestly sounds the best out of the English speaking ones to me, but of course that's for an older Mega Man. Maybe I should try synching some voice actor audio to Mega Man clips...

With the Japanese voices though, I would want Hekiru Shiina hands down. It's a very distinct voice that handled the majority of Rockman's early career, most notably the arcade games, the OVAs, and MM7's commercial. They could probably even get away with just using old audio (but new recordings would be cool).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah! They used it in Super Adventure Rockman too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF6l0d1-39A
I think the song is way rad and would be just as rocking as "Live and Learn" was for Sonic's debut, but since it's not as well known it'd probably be a bad idea (really unlikely it would get used anyways...)

About Mega Man's voice actor... here's a terrible video I made awhile back showing off some of Classic Rockman/Mega Man's voices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2RZ2gLHj14

Concerning an English voice actor, I don't think they should fret over getting anyone from the past. Ian James Corlett honestly sounds the best out of the English speaking ones to me, but of course that's for an older Mega Man. Maybe I should try synching some voice actor audio to Mega Man clips...

With the Japanese voices though, I would want Hekiru Shiina hands down. It's a very distinct voice that handled the majority of Rockman's early career, most notably the arcade games, the OVAs, and MM7's commercial. They could probably even get away with just using old audio (but new recordings would be cool).
About Ian, I agree because because he was actually the most decent Mega Man voice actor along with the voice actor from Powered Up!

D

Deleted member

In regards to the stage start theme, I think one way they can incorporate it is if they did a Robot Master Melody of some sort as one of the songs.
PressStart said:
It may not be as famous, but I do like the original Mega Man's stage clear music, as it is very triumphant. There's also some good "all stage clear" and "item get" themes.
I have to agree. There's more of a sense of accomplishment made when you finished a level.
PressStart said:
Only slightly related, but I'm really hoping for the impossible: Electrical Communication for his debut trailer!
This would be amazing to see. I'd be pleased if it was one of the songs you could select as part of Smash Bros. 4; it'd be a nice surprise for everyone involved (and a remix could be done even better).

As for a trailer for Mega Man, they should try to mix orchestra and rock music into a variation of Mega Man 2's intro. Would give it a very unique feel that would fit both Mega Man and Smash at the same time.
Yink said:
DASH (Legends) is very popular in Japan though. I wouldn't rule it out either. I know Volnutt got his time in TvC, but I could honestly see them throwing him in for how many possibilities he has. All of those weapon change shenanigans would work well for a fighter like Smash.
I haven't heard of Mega Man Legend's popularity. All I've heard in regards to it was that the first two games sold a paltry amount of copies, but I'd like to hear some source saying otherwise. I really wouldn't mind seeing Mega Man Legends getting in, if nothing else but to give him some more exposure overall (perhaps if he was popular enough in Smash, Capcom might just un-cancel Legends 3... but that seems to be wishful thinking).

As for voice actors, what --- said. Not like voice acting is a big deal anyway when it comes to getting Mega Man in.

You know what would be cool? During the mode where you fight until your HP is depleted, if Mega Man were to faint, he would explode like he does in the Classic and X games. Would be especially epic if it ended a match.

PressStart

Smash Cadet
You know what would be cool? During the mode where you fight until your HP is depleted, if Mega Man were to faint, he would explode like he does in the Classic and X games. Would be especially epic if it ended a match.
Haha yesss! They're usually really good at including little/amazing touches like this, so I feel like it'd for sure happen IF Mega Man got in. At the very least, it could play the noise when he gets knocked out of the stage!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
@SSBF: I dunno, I see it all over Japan if I go into game stores. They ran out of Legends 2 at Super Potato and I've asked multiple people their favorite and I usually get X or DASH.

I wouldn't mind some crazy gimmick where we get X/Volnutt. It sounds ridiculously stupid, but insanely fun. :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After listening to it on youtube a remix or instrumental version of Electrical Communication could work as the series' obscure soundtrack like Sonic Boom for the Sonic Series and The Theme of Solid Snake for Metal Gear.

D

Deleted member

Haha yesss! They're usually really good at including little/amazing touches like this, so I feel like it'd for sure happen IF Mega Man got in. At the very least, it could play the noise when he gets knocked out of the stage!
I don't think they would use the sound effect if Mega Man was KO'd of the stage, but I could easily see it being used if he loses all of his HP in Stamina Mode (along with him exploding to pieces like he does in the game).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
YES! I beat it last night. Thanks for the tips! That pause glitch is a Godsend.

D

Deleted member

The first counterargument has finally been posted. Really glad to finally get this one out of the way and I look forward to sharing the rest of my counterarguments soon. Give thanks towards nLiM8d, Starphoenix and --- for help.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You have done an amazing job with the opening post. Truly fitting for the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. :)

D

Deleted member

You have done an amazing job with the opening post. Truly fitting for the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. :)
Thanks ChronoBound, I really appreciate it. It'd be even better once I figure out how to deal with the collapse system once and for all and get all of my counterarguments in (along with an eventual comparison to other third-parties).

Also, Johnknight needs to visit this place.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A little food for thought. Apparently, Capcom has been uploading all of the NES Mega Man games to the 3DS Virtual Console. Mega Man 5 is scheduled to be uploaded some time in May, while Mega Man 6 is going to be uploaded in June.

In June we could very well have a Mega Man confirmation for Smash 4, and the news/hype for Mega Man in Smash Bros. could lead to a boom of interest in Mega Man's games (most of which will be made available for the 3DS Virtual Console by the time this happens).

Its probably a coincidence.

That being said I am curious how many Mega Man fans here expect him to be confirmed at E3 2013.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I don't think that Mega Man's inclusion will directly affect his future in video games.

Regardless of what happens to Mega Man in Smash, it wouldn't wipe away the ultimate issue with the franchise; the identity crisis the franchise has (with the amount of spin-offs it has) and the oversaturated that had built up over the past two decades. These things will take time to fix before Capcom start making solid Mega Man games again and they will have to prevent the same issue that brought the franchise down (such as not releasing way too many games and not changing the franchise enough). However, you are right about the fact that Mega Man would receive a lot more interest in his franchise if he were confirmed at E3 2013.

As for me, I don't expect third-parties in general given that they are the most expendable characters on the roster, but I am leaning towards third-parties returning with at least one new third-party. As for Mega Man being at E3, I'm not sure, but I do think that there's a good enough chance to where I could see him as my risky choice for a new character reveal at E3 (my safe choices are Ridley, Takamaru, Palutena and Little Mac). That and anyone that isn't a third-party or one of my safe choice I doubt will be in the trailer.

Mega Man being at E3, assuming he's in the game, depends on if we get one or two third-parties. If we get two and say, Pac-Man is one of them, Pac-Man will be shown before Mega Man whereas Mega Man would be saved for later (like Sonic). However, if we're only going to get one and that third-party is Mega Man, then I fully expect him to be at E3.

As for how many fans expect Mega Man at E3, it's less than what you would think. Most people on GameFAQs doubt Mega Man's inclusion for one and that's the largest forum for Smash Bros. discussion. Even those who think Mega Man will be in also generally expect Pac-Man and most of these people expect Pac-Man to be shown at E3.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if Sonic could pull himself out of his rut Megs can with enough luck. But let's get back to Megaman in Smash Bros.

My, very basic, idea for a Moveset is based off the idea of juggling Megaman's Powers on the fly

B-Side: Rush Jet: Megaman rides Rush who's front does damage but can also be ridden as a platform by others. Can be steered up and down
B-Up: Beat Rescue: Beat pulls Megaman up. Megaman can shoot while beign carried but once it runs out he's helpless
B-Down: Power Select: Megaman cycles through a list of powers. Changing powers changes the colour of his Helmet and forearms (so that changing pallets still does something)

List of Powers (Fire with B)
Mega Buster (Blue): Press b to fire lemons. Hold to charge.
Elec-Beam (Yellow): Fires three electric attacks, one up, one down and one straight ahead
Leaf Shield (Brown/green): Press B once to summon, press again to fire.
Shadow Blade (Purple): Press B and then a direction for Megman to throw a shrikun.

Any more or is that enoguh powers to go on?

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
I also made a moveset for Mega Man...uh, it's probably not the best but I wanted to incorporate at least one weapon from every game without relying on a power swapping move? Anyway, here it is:

Mega Man SSB4 moveset

SPECIALS:

Up B: Rush Coil (Rush bounces Mega Man up, and remains for a few seconds before teleporting out, functions similarly to Sonic's spring)

B: Mega Buster (Uncharged: Fires quick pellets that do minor damage and don't cause flinching. Charge: Fires a large burst that deals decent damage and knockback. Mega Man can move while charging.)

Side B: Ice Wave (Sends a wave of ice across the ground of the stage, climbing over obstacles and dealing minor damage. Goes straight down when used in mid-air until it hits the ground, is long range.)

Down B: Leaf Shield (Brings up a shield, absorbs all projectiles fired at it but does not deflect them. If Mega Man moves, the shield is thrown in the direction pressed doing decent damage. Shield does damage on contact to any opponents who touch it, but it disappears immediately upon direct contact with another character. Melee attacks nullify it and make it dissapear without damaging the attacker.)

GROUND ATTACKS:

A-A-A: Jab-Jab-Rapidfire Burstshot (fires several shots from his buster that burst in front of him, lasts as long as the button is held)

Side A: Hard Punch (hand increases in size and lets loose a punch with the Hard Knuckle, doesn't detach though)

Forward Smash: Dust Crusher (Shoots a Dust Crusher shot a few feet in front of him, where it explodes.)

Up A: Metal Blade Slash (Slashes above himself with two Metal Blades)

Up Smash: Knight Crush (Fires a spiked ball up into the air a few feet before it returns to him)

Down A: Leg Cutter (Produces a Rolling Cutter and uses it to cut at an opponent's legs)

Down Smash: Commando Bomb (Fires at the ground to create a short-range shockwave around him)

Dash A: Charge Kick (Slide kicks through enemies)

GRAB:

Grab A: Buster Shot (Fires pellets into the held foe)

Grab+Forward: Super Arm (Lifts foe over head, can move around while holding the foe, and tosses them straight forward when throwing)

Grab+Up: Screw Crusher (Throws two Screw Crushers into the air and then throws the foe up into them as they arc down)

Grab+Back: Concrete Shot (Creates a block of concrete behind him before slamming the foe into it, crushing it)

Grab+Down: Deep Digger (Slams foe on the ground, scoops up a chunk of earth and slams that down on the foe)

AERIALS:

Neutral A: Top Spin (Spins in the air)

Forward A: Slash Claw (slashes in front of himself)

Back A: Wave Burner (Shoots a short range wave of fire behind him)

Down A: Laser Trident (Produces a trident from his buster and stabs downward, does electrical damage)

Up A: Mega Uppercut (Aerial uppercut, hits hard above him)

FINAL SMASH: Time Stopper

Everything on-screen stops (this includes timers for timed battles and stage backgrounds and hazards, as well as item spawns) and a weapon energy gauge appears and begins ticking down. Mega Man remains unaffected and can run around attacking his frozen foes without any worries for several seconds.

Damage and knockback do not show up until the weapon gauge runs out of energy, at which point all of it is put in effect simultaneously.

D

Deleted member

I'll just post this here as well:

When it comes to characters I'm very passionate about, the only one I can say this to is Mega Man himself.

Unlike Starphoenix or ChronoBound, I never really had wants for characters until Brawl came out (I didn't even follow the speculation scene or posted, just looked at the news for the game). Once I started to figure out what I wanted for Smash 4, the character that came immediately on my mind for what I wanted was Mega Man and he's been my most wanted ever since (not counting the period where I supported Victini out of the illogical fear that Zoroark would replace Lucario and keep Mewtwo out). It wasn't until E3 2011 came around that I began to support his inclusion (which is when I went full-on into the speculation scene). Mega Man is the only character I can say that, if in, I would guarantee buy Smash 4 for.

Heck, Mega Man the main reason why I'm even bothering with the Smash 4 scene in the first place. Otherwise, I would just be casually looking forward to the next game and not really caring who gets in and who doesn't. I'd say that while my desire for Mega Man has thrown me into some of the craziest moments the Internet has ever seen, that I've learned a lot of things about myself that I otherwise wouldn't have. In other words, the possibility of Mega Man getting in has made Smash 4 more than just a game for me to look forward to, it has made it into a true experience.

While I'm not expecting Mega Man in the next Smash (then again, I don't expect third-parties in general to avoid disappointment; I would honestly be more disappointed to see a Namco rep get in), it doesn't change the fact that I plan on supporting him until the bitter end. And if he were to not get in this game, yet remained a viable contender for Smash 5, I could see myself following the scene just for the hope that he gets in and pretty much become what ChronoBound is to Ridley (except not treat him as a mandatory addition).

Like I said, there are plenty of characters I want to see and I'm sure I'm going to get a few I want (I already expect Mewtwo and King K. Rool to show up). But there's no one that I'm nearly as passionate about as Mega Man at this point. And if he's in, it is very possible that my wait could be over in 1.5 months. As for other characters, I also really want Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Roy, but the first two are among some of the most likely additions and Roy is someone I can live without (but will heavily support if Mega Man is confirmed at E3 2013).

PressStart

Smash Cadet
Awesome moveset, Dudemaster47! I like the idea of a slide attacking being his dashing A, as well as some of the other interesting implementation of weapons for his normals. A lot of my speculation on how his moves would work are based on the idea of having the special weapons be reserved as specials, but I feel like the way you describe him using his weapons would make him a much more interesting character overall to play as (and impressive to see).

Haha frik, Super Smash Bros. Fan, it's really nice to see another person be so passionate about this! I try not to get TOO carried away with talking about how much I want Mega Man in Smash Bros. but... I look forward to it more than most things. At the very least, he is definitely the character I want to see most, more than any other addition by a long shot. Even though there -are- some other characters that I would be happy to see, I only ever list Mega Man, just to stress how much more important his appearance would be to me (I feel like if you list off a bunch of characters, it just makes it seem like you're asking for everyone...). Thanks for giving so much support, and I hope that for your sake and every other Mega Man and Smash Bros. fan that Mega Man gets to fight alongside the Smash Bros. all-star cast!

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Haha, thanks. I wanted to try and represent every game in the series, so I was worried it'd come off a little contrived in the long run. Good to see the concept was well-recieved at least!
And yeah, I'm on the same boat that I don't especially expect anyone, but I've been hoping for Mega Man to get in ever since it was mentioned that there could be two or three third-party characters in Brawl...while it was a little disappointing when he didn't get in, I wasn't crushed, and I could still enjoy the game. One character won't make or break the game for me overall...

But heck if I don't want this one character more than anything else!

D

Deleted member

I honestly doubt that Mega Man is going to have a power swapping move nor would he gain abilities from other opponents. It'd be too much like Kirby and I think Sakurai wants to avoid having third-parties share too much similarities with Nintendo characters. Incorporating Mega Man's Robot Master powers into him ready to be used seems a lot more likely. Even a heavy modification of his Marvel Vs. Capcom move set would be a more realistic because it would allow for easier programming of him into the game (and he's already going to have to struggle hard enough to fit in).

As for the Time Bomb, not really a fan of it being Mega Man's Final Smash as it resembles too much to Peach's Final Smash for my liking.
Dudemaster47 said:
And yeah, I'm on the same boat that I don't especially expect anyone, but I've been hoping for Mega Man to get in ever since it was mentioned that there could be two or three third-party characters in Brawl...while it was a little disappointing when he didn't get in, I wasn't crushed, and I could still enjoy the game.
I won't lie, I was really disappointed that Mega Man didn't show up for Brawl. However, when we look back on the fact that Mega Man's popularity was outdone by quite a few Nintendo characters, Sonic and Geno, along with the fact that Sakurai had an incredibly difficult time fitting two third-parties in, he didn't really have a chance.
---
IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Did Sega approach Sakurai with Sonic or did Sakurai go after Sonic himself? I've heard the latter, but I'd like to hear something concrete just to make sure.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I honestly doubt that Mega Man is going to have a power swapping move nor would he gain abilities from other opponents.
Agreed. I really don't think it would make any sense. Mega Man's ability is to copy any tool... most characters are not mechanical and don't use weapons.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Agreed. I really don't think it would make any sense. Mega Man's ability is to copy any tool... most characters are not mechanical and don't use weapons.
Then there's Mega Man x Street Fighter, though that game was originally fanmade and isn't canon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom