• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

About Mega Man fitting in the style of Smash Bros, would it be a good argument that he is present in the fan made games like Super Smash Flash 2 and Crusade?
No. The problem with using such arguments is that you could use the same argument to include Goku and we all know Sakurai would never include him (along with that, it would be even harder to fit in him in, let alone deal with legal issues). Plus Super Smash Flash 2 and Crusade, while they try to emulate Smash's play, have completely different engines, so they're a poor indication of what can fit in and what can't.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Why can't they have SNES games in the 3DS eShop?
I ask myself that all the time. I want Mario World, Super Metroid, and Megaman X the most.

About Mega Man fitting in the style of Smash Bros, would it be a good argument that he is present in the fan made games like Super Smash Flash 2 and Crusade?

Ehhhh.....Maybe. I haven't played Crusade, but I have played SSF2 a good bit. Megaman's moves in SSF2 work for the most part. One of my favorite characters in SSF2. The only things I would have changed in his moveset is his Side-B and Maaaaaybe his Down-B. I would have made his Sid-B the Mega-Ball or the Metal Blade. I think his Down-B should've been the Leaf Shield/Skull Shield/Some kind of Shield.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought Mega Man in Super Smash Flash 2 felt clunky, though it does have an interesting concept with the idea of switching between 5 different weapons.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mind you I did a rush job with coloring and the lines aren't the best I could make it...

But here's Psycho Man

Apparently the JPEG compression messed up the colors. There is some REALLY bad noise thing

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I thought Mega Man in Super Smash Flash 2 felt clunky, though it does have an interesting concept with the idea of switching between 5 different weapons.
Really? For me, he was quite fun to use in a fight. I can kinda see what you when it comes to his Up-B. I think that the concept of that move is fine,but needs a bit of fixing up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well add me to the supporters list. It seems Capcom doesn't want to make a new Megaman game but given that they still release the Archie comics and are still cranking out merchandising there's still interest in the Blue Bomber yet.

D

Deleted member

Mind you I did a rush job with coloring and the lines aren't the best I could make it...

But here's Psycho Man

Apparently the JPEG compression messed up the colors. There is some REALLY bad noise thing
That's why I hate it when I can't use PNG. It's the best color compression system I've ever use and I try to use it whenever possible. Nevertheless, it is pretty good and I do think it fits you pretty well.
Well add me to the supporters list. It seems Capcom doesn't want to make a new Megaman game but given that they still release the Archie comics and are still cranking out merchandising there's still interest in the Blue Bomber yet.
You're already on it. :)

This also reminded me to bring up another point; Capcom doesn't seem to mind Mega Man being in other companies cross-overs. I mean, after all, we are going to be seeing Mega Man X in Project Zone (even if Namco had to go ask Capcom for them, the fact is that they accepted X notes that they don't hate Mega Man).

I honestly think that if Capcom truly loathe Mega Man, we'd be seeing absolutely nothing out of him. No 25th anniversaries, no comic books, no fan games supported by them officially, nothing. Not that it excuse their current treatment of the franchise, but honestly, I've seen other fan bases be hit with worse. The fact that Capcom still acknowledge the franchise is why I haven't given up hope on him for Smash 4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Capcom doesn't hate Mega Man, they just don't see the games making much profit at the moment, which is probably true and is a problem effecting the whole industry. Ex. Tomb Raider makes a couple million on retail sales alone and is still deemed a failure by SE.

Honestly there's no real reason as to why they'd be against Mega Man in Smash, it's obvious that they know there's demand for it too (anyone else remember Pre-Brawl when they made that statement about their characters in Smash?).

• Mega Man Legends 3, based on the previous Legend games it would have probably sold bad. 100,000 doesn't really cut it anymore either.
  • Mega Man Universe, never really had much hype going for it and possibly Powered Up's sales.
  • Mega Man Online, had many delays, slow development, and was Korea only. The development team was also under re-organization.
  • Mega Man Xover I think was a success, it's just that people hate the game with a passion that it hasn't been released here yet.
  • Maverick Hunter: There's probably some easy assumptions here but who knows, but thankfully it wasn't released anyway.

D

Deleted member

Just added the Mega Man for Super Smash Bros. website. Currently trying to see if I can get Press Start back here because I'd like to see him contribute more to the thread. I also plan on mentioning this thread on other websites (one of them being Capcom-Unity, not sure where I would need to go).

Also half way towards finishing my counter arguments.

D

Deleted member

Just finished five of the counter arguments. Only one left to cover is the "there are better choices than Mega Man" argument and I already have listed the pros and cons to the third-parties I plan on talking about and know what I'm going to say with them. I am also receiving some feedback from nLiM8d (told him about the pros and cons for the third-parties I'm using along with Mega Man). Once the counter arguments are posted for everyone to see, I will make sure to give him credit (and anyone else that wants to help out).

I also want to bring this one up: http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-discussion-thread.324219/page-692#post-15437631

ChronoBound mentioned that before E3 2006, Sonic was not even within the Top 10 of the most wanted (and back then, third-party suggestions were generally frowned upon). One argument that gets brought up against Mega Man is that Sakurai won't go after Mega Man because he's not as popular as Sonic (who barely got in), yet we have to remember that Sonic only became as popular as he did after E3 2006. I do think that had Sonic been among the Top 3 most wanted characters (like Mega Man is now) before E3 2006, he would have a good chance of appearing in Brawl even if he wasn't the most wanted character since he wouldn't have had to fight a closing window for adding late characters.

I've been thinking about mentioning as part of the counter arguments against Mega Man inclusion and would like to see what people think (especially ChronoBound) before I do.
---
On to another topic in regards to Mega Man, how would people like to see a taunt where Mega Man removes his helmet by pressing one of the taunt button? He would be able to fight without his helmet on as normal (this is shown in Mega Man 9 & 10) and if they want Mega Man to put back his helmet, they can press the same taunt button.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd wish Capcom and Nintendo would try to release Mega Man 7 on the Virtual Console. Seriously, it has one of my favorite OSTs in the entire series. Used to be one of my most wanted until I gave up on the Virtual Console (thankfully, I have hopes again thank to Nintendo finally getting off their butts and release Earthbound outside of Japan).
Yeah, Earthbound VC was just added to my reasons to get a Wii U.

D

Deleted member

So.... why is this in the Megaman thread?
I brought up as a counter to Super Smash Flash being an argument for a character's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. 4.

But yeah, the less Goku discussion, the better. Beside, Mega Man doesn't need a Super Saiyan transformation to kick *** anyway.

Also still want to see what people think of my taunt idea (Mega Man removing his helmet and being able to fight as normal without it).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because Goku is a mega man

Uh... He's a Super Sayian, not a super fighting robot.

On a different Topic, who'd be the Assist Trophy? If we're sticking to the classic series I'd say Either Rush (If not part of Meg's moveset or final smash) or Protoman. Part of me wants Roll to dump a bucket over opponent's heads but I'm aware of model limitations.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

On a different Topic, who'd be the Assist Trophy? If we're sticking to the classic series I'd say Either Rush (If not part of Meg's moveset or final smash) or Protoman. Part of me wants Roll to dump a bucket over opponent's heads but I'm aware of model limitations.
If I said he was a super man you'd think I was saying Goku was an alien sent from a dying world as a baby with with powers beyond man?

-on second thought...

Edit: I skipped a few words when posting that the first time

D

Deleted member

I think Proto Man will end up being the Assist Trophy. Rush will probably be incorporated into Mega Man's move set one way or another. Bass is another possibility, but I doubt it since Proto Man is more well-known than Bass.

If we were to get X instead, Zero would definitely be the Assist Trophy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bass would make a better choice for a character than Proto man, because Proto Man is basically just Mega Man's prototype with a shield. His moves would be too similar, whereas Bass is made by Wily and acts different

As for assist trophy, what about beat or eddy?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah I would think Proto Man would end up as an AT. Teleports down and starts blasting everyone with his Proto Strike in a similar pattern to his MM3 boss fights. Also dat whistle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah I would think Proto Man would end up as an AT. Teleports down and starts blasting everyone with his Proto Strike in a similar pattern to his MM3 boss fights. Also dat whistle.
Yeah, you get the trophy and you're like "WTF, there's nothing?" but then badass whistle and Protoman teleports in and Starts blasting everyone.

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
I kinda think it'd be awesome if Proto Man was an alternate costume of Mega Man, since they're similar enough in most regards for that to be possible. I mean, the only major difference that might be a problem in that regard would be the shield, right?

D

Deleted member

I kinda think it'd be awesome if Proto Man was an alternate costume of Mega Man, since they're similar enough in most regards for that to be possible. I mean, the only major difference that might be a problem in that regard would be the shield, right?
I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of another character being an alt costume of a playable character. Would find it kind of depriving to see Proto Man reduced to a costume of Mega Man.

I only support alternate characters if they are modification of the same character. I would say one of the variations instead, but considering that each counterpartner is considerably different from Mega Man, even that is a long stretch.

the_savior21

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong I want megaman in SSB4 as much as the next guy but i kinda feel like he would be to Samus what Ganondorf is to C. Falcon. Anyone else? Or is it just me?

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Um, as far as I can tell, they would likely have only one or two similar moves total and that's about it. I can't really think of a bomb weapon that he has that would function remotely similarly to Samus's bombs or anything at all that'd work like her screw attack, and that's just the B moves.

D

Deleted member

Don't get me wrong I want megaman in SSB4 as much as the next guy but i kinda feel like he would be to Samus what Ganondorf is to C. Falcon. Anyone else? Or is it just me?
I highly doubt that. Mega Man is significantly different from Samus (for one, he can't roll into a ball) and/or Kirby. The only reason this is considered a possibility is because of the Mega Buster, which even then can be handled differently from Samus.

the_savior21

Smash Rookie
I didn't actually think about up b or down b considering I never use them with samus but I think a lot of the a moves, neutral b and side b could be the same. Key word being could I'm not huge on megaman so idk exactly what he's got

Edit* again part of the reason I asked is because idk megaman all that well

D

Deleted member

I didn't actually think about up b or down b considering I never use them with samus but I think a lot of the a moves, neutral b and side b could be the same. Key word being could I'm not huge on megaman so idk exactly what he's got
There are plenty of things that Mega Man could use to make himself unique. The majority of his move set can be made based off of Robot Master's move sets (ChronoBound made one for example). A decent move set can also be made without it and with heavy modification from Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On a Different Topic what do you think the Normal Trophies will be?

My Guess
Obligatory Megaman Trophies
Rock (Pre-armour Megaman)
Roll
Rush
Beat
Dr. Light
Eddie Fliptop
Protoman
Dr. Light
Dr. Wily
Bass & Treble
Some Robot Masters
(and if he's the assist trophy) ZERO

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I could see Protoman, Bass, Duo, or even Wily as an Assist Trophy. Roll could work too now that I think about it. Now that if we're talking about Alt Costumes there's a few ideas/predictions I could see happening.

1) Protoman: If he's not an AT he'll probably Megaman's alt costume. Given that they have the a similar body type. Though some understandably don't like that idea.

2) Bass: The same reasons as Protoman.

3) Normal clothes Megaman: In some of the Megaman games(such as MM: Powered Up), Megaman is seen in normal clothes before putting on his armor to fight Wily. Granted while he should be weaker, like he was in MM: Powered up where he could only kick, he should obviously act the same gameplay-wise in Smash Bros.

4) One of the other Megamen: This would be one of the cooler choices but hard to pull off. Given that the other Megamen are taller than Classic Megaman. But a little re-sizing couldn't hurt too much, namely if Megaman EXE, or Starforce Megaman are chosen. Given that they are the closest to classic's size.(I think)

D

Deleted member

Here's some trophies that I'd like to see:
- Mega Man/Rock Man (obvious)
- Rock (pre-conversion to Mega Man)
- Roll
- Proto Man/Blues
- Dr. Light
- Dr. Wily
- Rush
- Eddie
- Beat
- Bass/Forte
- Treble/Gospel
- Mega Man X
- Zero
- Sigma
- Mega Man Legends
- Tron Bonne
- Megaman.exe
- Lan Hikari
- Zero (Mega Man Zero)
- Characters from Mega Man ZX
- Star Force Mega Man
- Geo Stelar

More idealistic than anything, but this is assuming Classic Mega Man is in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's some trophies that I'd like to see:
- Mega Man/Rock Man (obvious)
- Rock (pre-conversion to Mega Man)
- Roll
- Proto Man/Blues
- Dr. Light
- Dr. Wily
- Rush
- Eddie
- Beat
- Bass/Forte
- Treble/Gospel
- Mega Man X
- Zero
- Sigma
- Mega Man Legends
- Tron Bonne
- Megaman.exe
- Lan Hikari
- Zero (Mega Man Zero)
- Characters from Mega Man ZX
- Star Force Mega Man
- Geo Stelar

More idealistic than anything, but this is assuming Classic Mega Man is in.
No servebot trophy. I am dissapoint.

They're really important. They definitely deserve a trophy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People probably haven't said servebot because he's from the legends series

D

Deleted member

No servebot trophy. I am dissapoint.

They're really important. They definitely deserve a trophy.
Completely forgot about him. He should be at trophy as well.
---
Anyway, finished my rough draft of all of my arguments, but totaling it, it's nearly 6,000 words. I plan on compressing the argument to a more manageable size for people to read and once I get some quality check on it, finally post it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Protoman with the whistling is the only AT I'll accept for Classic Mega. Rush is move set or nothing at all. For X, Zero with some awesome laser sword slashing. But it's going to be Classic people, come on.

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Proto Man would be awesome as an AT, but Eddie would definitely make a lot of sense as one as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For a Theoretical Eddie assist he drops one of the following items. Opponents can still gran them if you aren't fast

Power Pellet: Restores 20%
Weapon Power: Gives a brief damage boost
E-Tank: Heals 100%
Extra Life (Super Rare): Gives an extra Stock or +1 point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom