• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm kind of interested to see those 2008-2009 rosters. I can't even remember what mine looked like back then... :cool:

Unless they're so awful they fully distract from the purpose of the Mega Man thread. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Aww...couldn't I be Psycho Man. Incarnate means "In the flesh" and "In the Flesh Man" doesn't really sound...right

D

Deleted member

Aww...couldn't I be Psycho Man. Incarnate means "In the flesh" and "In the Flesh Man" doesn't really sound...right
Wanted to go with something a little more unexpected. But, I never said it'd be permanent.

On to a more serious subject, I am currently am trying to think of the major arguments used against Mega Man inclusions. While a lot of people here on Smashboards thinks Mega Man has a good chance for a third-party, outside of Smashboards, people are a lot more pessimistic when we step out of Smashboards (especially on GameFAQs). As such, it will take a lot of effort from our part (especially mine) to try to increase optimism about Mega Man's inclusion. This will be especially important if Mega Man is not revealed at E3 2013.

Some major arguments I can think of are:
- He'd be a clone of Samus and/or Kirby
- If another third-party gets in, Mega Man won't (my thoughts in regards to this have changed after talking with ChronoBound about this issue). This issue will be especially important if a third-party was confirmed before Mega Man.
- Third-parties won't return/we won't get a new third-party
- Sakurai and Capcom won't contact each other

And the biggest one of them all is that Capcom hates Mega Man. If you ask me, I don't think with even with how Capcom has treated the franchise that Mega Man's chances have been hurt significantly. Convincing others that Mega Man is still a realistic possibility despite the past few years, on the other hand, is going to be really difficult. With the first three, approaching them will be more straightforward, but trying to approach the elephant in the room requires dealing with quite a few topic (four game cancellations, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, 25th Anniversary, etc). Obviously it will be time consuming and trying to keep my bias transparent in my counterargument will be even harder.

In short, I got my work cut out for. While I should be able to form all of these counter arguments eventually, formulating solid ones for all major arguments and being able to use them in character discussions (especially outside of Smashboards) will be the hard part.

Are there anything else I should be aware of as potential arguments against Mega Man's inclusion? I plan on sorting these from the easiest to the hardest.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You can actually change the title to most Wanted newcomer in general. He even beats out Mewtwo and Ridley.

volbound1700

Smash Master
In most polls over here Megaman is at the top as well. I actually didn't know he was in the top in Japan.

Roy is way behind Mewtwo and Ridley in demand lol. Pretty much Megaman, Mewtwo, and Ridley have the biggest support. King K. Rool and Little Mac are in the next tier. Yikes, hate that word.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hah! I was just talking about Japanese results where Roy/Mewtwo are just below MM, very closely followed by K. Rool and Palutena. Hard to compete with Ridley in these parts, but you'd be surprised what I've seen of the 'ol croc.

So...how bout that Mega Man? I hear he...rocks. :troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, they should use that one for Smash, as its clearly the best.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
and to think this thread was once called "Megaman: Is there a chance!?"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's the power of the "Smash" or something.

Jeez, I knew about that, but it's seriously the most depressing title of all time. May as we have called it:

"Mega Man: We've hit Rock bottom" or "Mega's chances: Give up all hope!"

This one is MUCH nicer. And true.

D

Deleted member

You can actually change the title to most Wanted newcomer in general. He even beats out Mewtwo and Ridley.
I'd say that Mewtwo is still the most wanted character (and ChronoBound said that Mewtwo and Roy were the most popular characters in Japan) period. However, for newcomers, Mega Man is indeed the most wanted newcomer for the game as he is the most wanted newcomer in Japan and in the West.

So this does call for title change.
PsychoIncarnate said:
Which is really sad. Considering the things Mega Man has going for him in comparison to other third-parties, he was long overdue for a good OP. Mega Man probably would have been among the most popular character threads had that been the case.
Banjodorf said:
I'm kind of interested to see those 2008-2009 rosters. I can't even remember what mine looked like back then... :cool:

Unless they're so awful they fully distract from the purpose of the Mega Man thread.
I had one with several Mega Man characters in it back in June, 2009. It had Mega Man, Proto Man, Mega Man X and Zero (and of course way too many third-parties).

Looking for where Sven said that Capcom was going to leave the decision up to Sakurai in regards to Mega Man. He said it sometimes in July/August, 2011.

D

Deleted member

Megaman a clone of Samus, what????????
People use this argument as a reason for Mega Man to not get in, which is quite frankly, the worst argument I have ever see against Mega Man, considering how much there is to pull from his games. Another bad argument I could see people using is because another third-party character gets in, Mega Man won't, which doesn't work because a different third-party will not interfere with Mega Man's inclusion.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Megaman a clone of Samus, what????????
The thinking(I assume anyway) is that because Samus and Megaman both have laser guns, then Megaman will be a clone of Samus.

Hey, never said it made sense. Remember that these are(probably) the same people who think that Lucario is a Mewtwo clone because they have similar neutral specials.

D

Deleted member

The thinking(I assume anyway) is that because Samus and Megaman both have laser guns, then Megaman will be a clone of Samus.

Hey, never said it made sense. Remember that these are(probably) the same people who think that Lucario is a Mewtwo clone because they have similar neutral specials.
Some of them also think that Mega Man will be a clone of Kirby because both can "steal" weapons from other characters, yet they forget that Mega Man can only absorb inorganic material and that Mega Man can simply have those moves incorporated into his move sets.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never got the Megaman/Samus clone thing. Aside from the two having charge shots, they are completely different. You don't see Samus doing slide kicks and uppercuts or fuse with a robot dog. And you won't see Megaman roll into a ball and do somersaults.

D

Deleted member

Charged shots and gun/arms I suppose. They should be very different though.
One way to differentiated from Samus and Mega Man's charge shot is that Mega Man's charge shot at full power is weaker than that of Samus, but he is also able to move while charging his shot.

Also, who here prefers Rock Man over Mega Man as the name? I like both, but I especially like Rock Man because Rock and Roll fits so well together given the nature of the series to emphasize on intense music.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, who here prefers Rock Man over Mega Man as the name? I like both, but I especially like Rock Man because Rock and Roll fits so well together given the nature of the series to emphasize on intense music.
I do actually prefer Rock Man. IIRC they had to change it because there was a guitar amplifier or something that used the name in the U.S.

Though really he should be called Jump 'n' Shoot Man.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A small typo in the list of supporters: Kewl Man is written in the brackets and after his user name.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Fixed. I like mine better. :troll:
Mega Man does not beat out Mewtwo and Roy in Japan, however, he could very well be the most wanted newcomer in the West. I think Mega Man is probably the most wanted character after Mewtwo and Roy though in Japan.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Mega Man does not beat out Mewtwo and Roy in Japan, however, he could very well be the most wanted newcomer in the West. I think Mega Man is probably the most wanted character after Mewtwo and Roy though in Japan.
Really shows they shouldn't cut the cool ones. So I guess it's:

Mewtwo
Roy
Mega Man
K. Rool/Palutena

Seem about right?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pretty funny how all you have to do here is swap Roy and Palutena out with Ridley and L. Mac and you'd have our list too. (With some positional changes, but top 5 is top 5.)

D

Deleted member

Updated OP with the "Who's Mega Man?" section. Thoughts on it?
A small typo in the list of supporters: Kewl Man is written in the brackets and after his user name.
Went to check, but could only find one case of Kewl Man (even singled out the word "kewl". Unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Found the problem and fixed it. Misunderstood what you were saying.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good to see you took my suggestion about the thread name, not trying to act like a jerk or anything I just don't care for all the weird character slogans (so yes I think both this and the Ridley thread are especially awesome in that regard).

Did also notice you dug though the Directory looking at the info in the OP. ;)

Will have to dig up the moveset I made later and maybe some of the awesome artwork Hitoshi Ariga has done of the series for the heck of it.

D

Deleted member

Good to see you took my suggestion about the thread name, not trying to act like a jerk or anything I just don't care for all the weird character slogans (so yes I think both this and the Ridley thread are especially awesome in that regard).

Did also notice you dug though the Directory looking at the info in the OP. ;)

Will have to dig up the moveset I made later and maybe some of the awesome artwork Hitoshi Ariga has done of the series for the heck of it.
Not a problem. I understand that not everyone would fall in love with the idea of the Robot Master slogans, but I'm sure there are those who do.

Looking through the Directory was really helpful. I only really need to find the quote where Sven said that they were going to leave the decision in regards to Mega Man in Smash up to Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Thanks. I'll make sure to put the video in the OP.

Now I can start forming my arguments for Mega Man in Smash Bros. (mentioning eligibility, Sakurai's four criteria, pros and cons of Mega Man, and counter arguments to commonly made detraction to the Blue Bomber).

...now if only if I knew how to find a Mega Man avatar with the hair. Have to admit, looks pretty bad***.

volbound1700

Smash Master
On Shortie's poll, Megaman is #1 and it isn't even close. The same is true for other polls such as ones at Gamespy and IGN. I would say it is safe to say he is #1 most demanded newcomer in USA. Not sure about Japan, I haven't kept up with them.

D

Deleted member

On Shortie's poll, Megaman is #1 and it isn't even close. The same is true for other polls such as ones at Gamespy and IGN. I would say it is safe to say he is #1 most demanded newcomer in USA. Not sure about Japan, I haven't kept up with them.
Interested to see those Gamespy and IGN polls.

Based off what we know, Mega Man is probably the most wanted newcomer in Japan as well (from research from ChronoBound).

Anyway, updating the OP and am starting to work on arguments for his inclusion and why I feel he has a good shot of being in the next Smash Bros. Don't know why there's two collapse bars, though, especially when I only entered them one. Would be nice if someone could help me out here of if it's this forum just being a pain in the butt.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I might do a moveset for Starforce Megaman. Since it would be kinda interesting.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm telling ya'll. If Megaman gets in, prepare for Megaman X. I'd like to think people wouldn't flip out about it, but knowing the Smash Bros fanbase... That is asking too much.

D

Deleted member

I'm telling ya'll. If Megaman gets in, prepare for Megaman X. I'd like to think people wouldn't flip out about it, but knowing the Smash Bros fanbase... That is asking too much.
It'll be one of those cases where some people will complain for a short amount of time, but will grow into. In the end, Mega Man fans just want him in, myself included.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It'll be one of those cases where some people will complain for a short amount of time, but will grow into. In the end, Mega Man fans just want him in, myself included.
To be honest, I don't know how accurate this is, but it seems like most people prefer X as a character over the original Blue Boy, yet they don't want to lose out on the classic MM tunes.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be honest, I don't know how accurate this is, but it seems like most people prefer X as a character over the original Blue Boy, yet they don't want to lose out on the classic MM tunes.
Why do you think X will get in over Mega Man classic?

Most of the time people usually just refer to Mega Man classic. I know in Japan I have not seen much mention of X.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They made a life sized statue of him that will be showcased in E3, also him and Sonic are going to team up in the comics. Maybe Capcom is actually starting to learn their mistakes. We'll see when E3 comes in 1 1/2 months.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't really say that I would complain about Megaman X getting in Smash. Now that I think of it I really wouldn't complain if any of the main "Megamen" got in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom