• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Medic Man: A Doctor Mario Combo Vid. by SmashMac ($Mac)

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Hello all. Long time since I've uploaded a video. Since a lot of Doc. players were insisting and I've been wanting to make a combo video for a long time (and since it's been about a year since my "Checkup" tutorial), I figured I'd make a combo video and put it up (or atleast a video of consecutive hits ;)). I'm not sure about it but I'm thinking of possibly making a series of combo videos starting with this one. Anyways, this video is about 9 minutes long. Enjoy.

For a link to my Doctor Mario tutorial, "The Doctor's Checkup", click the
previous link above for the thread.

For a link to the Doctor Mario character matchup thread, go here:
"Doc. vs. the World (of Nintendo)"

Video information:
Duration - 8:57
Comboes done by - SmashMac
Opponents - Crew Mates

Credits:

DaShizWiz - Helping me with footage and the first song in the combo vid., as well as advice.
KeepSpeedN - Helping me with footage and advice.
QueenDVS - Helping me with footage.

Youtube streaming link:
Link: The Medic Man
P.S. - You can watch it quick but you don't get to keep it =\.

Google video link:
Link: - Coming out soon
P.S. - You can watch it quick but you don't get to keep it =\.

filesfront file hosting link:
Link: - The Medic Man
P.S. - It may take a while but you get to keep the download ;).

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
1st post and 1st to see via sneak peek ;)

beautiful stuff $Mac. Great length, combos, and...well stuff. =)
My favorite things are the pill combos and the D.air to B.air edgeguard. I deffinately need to use that, and the reverse Cape more often.
Those last-minute clips are awesome. i'm stealing some ideas from this...

Everyone notice at 3:22, Doc beats the oponent to the rhythm of the beat, and at 6:55 the haxiest grab i've ever seen Doc do, lol.

I knew the FF track 3 seconds into it, i religously listen to my favorite OCRemix songs..but i'm not the biggest fan of the first song, lol.

Anyway...this combo vid pretty much goes up with some of the best footage we have so thanx alot SmashMac for the combo vid.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Good video - blahblahblah, i left my comment in the video discussion forum and im too lazy to go copy paste it.

Lotta stuff you can learn in this. (or i did, atleast)

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Noob question: When you jumped up from the edge, were those all edge hops? or were some of those full jumps? When I look at it, it seems that they were too fast for a full jump but too high for an edge hop. I watched it several times to see if I could figure it out but all to no avail T__T.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol. I saw this thread and the first thing to come to mind was, "9 minutes of Smashmac pwnage? Life doesn't get better than this!"

Very ownageful. I'm stealing your Dair > Bair edge guarding technique, bwahahaha.

No, really. That was beautiful. I played Melee after watching that and I think merely watching it made my Doc better. Heh.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Wondefully done, $mac. I must admit I didnt believe some of the stuff you pulled off to be possible; it was really impressive! The speed was the most astonishing part in my opinion. Really incredible, man.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ya know, i've been tryin to figure this out since i watched the video.

What the hell is the point of reverse caping?

I think I may have a use for it (i have to sit down and try it in a bit), but i have no clue why you'd use it for edge guarding.

Care to inform us $mac, or is that a secret that only the depths of FL will know? D:

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

I think I may have a use for it (i have to sit down and try it in a bit), but i have no clue why you'd use it for edge guarding.

Care to inform us $mac, or is that a secret that only the depths of FL will know? D:
I agree dogy. I don't see the point of reverse caping when you can do it the right way around. Very good stuff though smashmac. The tech chasing and wavelanding were brilliant.

Change the music though!!!! That first track was terrible

SmashMac

Smash Lord

Personally, reverse-caping feels a whole lot smoother to me than just regular caping. I'm still studying it, but I think the hitbox comes out a bit faster in the back of the cape. Not to mention, when you cape regularly, I don't like that first period of lag before the hitbox finally comes out. I just enjoy the timing when you reverse it more so than just regular. Oh, and I guess during the process, reverse-caping just happens to look a bit more flashy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
actually, i just sat down and messed with it for something i need it for and i figured out a use for it.

Caping link/y.link's bombs.

If you cape them facing front, the bombs explode in your face unless you cape early so that actual cape doesnt hit them (i think it has something to do with them being multihit bombs - so you actually cape them, and then the cape itself hits it and explodes)

but if you cape backwards, you can cape any time, and the bombs wont explode.

I gotta y.link player ima **** up next time i see him. :-D

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol. That one Young Link player you fought in your videos? He had a mean Link. I'm gonna stick to normal caping because I'm too noob for reverse caping, however sexy it may be. To each his own.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Lol. That one Young Link player you fought in your videos? He had a mean Link. I'm gonna stick to normal caping because I'm too noob for reverse caping, however sexy it may be. To each his own.
see, that's what'll make you switch.

it's hard as hell to cape bombs facing forward, because you have to cape early so that the actual cape doesnt hit the bomb.

So basically, you normally have to cape BEFORE he throws the bomb.

Where as, i think if you do it backwards, you can cape whenever you want, and you'll be fine.

I dunno - ill find out soon enough. >.<

SmashMac

Smash Lord
see, that's what'll make you switch.

it's hard as hell to cape bombs facing forward, because you have to cape early so that the actual cape doesnt hit the bomb.

So basically, you normally have to cape BEFORE he throws the bomb.

Where as, i think if you do it backwards, you can cape whenever you want, and you'll be fine.

I dunno - ill find out soon enough. >.<
Once I get a copy of AR or find my lost (but hopefully found) AR, I'll be sure to study it along with a bunch of other things for Doc. I'm pretty sure reverse caping is safer than caping normally. It's a smoother way to cape, and it seems as though the result usually comes out faster when you reverse it, opposed to regular. In reality, I don't reverse cape to be flashy (even though it does look flashy), I reverse cape because it's better in my opinion than regular caping. Not to mention, when you reverse-cape, you can catch the opponent if he's infront of you as well. There are also plenty of mindgames that could be utilized as well, they just haven't been exploited yet (even though I've used some before, those matches weren't recorded).

Also, thanks everyone for the comments :).

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Hmm. A question about the reverse cape... again, sorry.

I know with the cape the hitbox of it extends slightly vertically, that's why you can sometimes cape under the stage and even get sweetspotted ledge grabs... does the reverse b still have that vertical extension? Or is that vertical hitbox only there on forward capes? I guess we need AR for that... seems to me it would only be there for forward capes.

EDIT: This is Kashakunaki.

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
What the heck, I can't believe I missed this. That reverse caping was tight man, good stuff. Sick combos dude, for real and LMAO at your pic in end, the expression on your face is awesome. We seriously need to smash soon man, it's been awhile since I've had some good practice. You've definitely inspired me to practice my doc more. Good **** man.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Worst music for a combo vid ever, if youtube didnt have an option to turn off the sound I would closed that **** at the beginning.

Good combo vid though, I was pretty impressed through out the whole movie. It looked like you were just showing off with those reverse capes, but turns out you have a legitimate reason for doing it. I knew you were black, just thought Id say that. Dont worry I have luv for black people.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Once I get a copy of AR or find my lost (but hopefully found) AR, I'll be sure to study it along with a bunch of other things for Doc. I'm pretty sure reverse caping is safer than caping normally. It's a smoother way to cape, and it seems as though the result usually comes out faster when you reverse it, opposed to regular. In reality, I don't reverse cape to be flashy (even though it does look flashy), I reverse cape because it's better in my opinion than regular caping. Not to mention, when you reverse-cape, you can catch the opponent if he's infront of you as well. There are also plenty of mindgames that could be utilized as well, they just haven't been exploited yet (even though I've used some before, those matches weren't recorded).

Also, thanks everyone for the comments :).
Not questioning your ability with Dr or anything smac but what about the range? Isn't it really small for the reverse cape. the forward one may be slightly slower but doesn't it's fairly descent horizontal range make up for it?

Armoredfish

Smash Rookie
I like it but I hate the song. I mean when the lady chorus comes on it makes me want to ripp my ears of her voice it soo annoying. But I like the video. Also try using Sony Vegas 7 thats what I use to edit

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Not questioning your ability with Dr or anything smac but what about the range? Isn't it really small for the reverse cape. the forward one may be slightly slower but doesn't it's fairly descent horizontal range make up for it?
If you can perfect the reverse cape, the end-result overall will be better than forward caping. The reverse cape is quicker towards his back (or so it may seem), and it seems to extend towards his front from his back. Sure, the range for forward caping may be better than reverse caping in the beginning, but as you get used to it you'll see that reverse caping is just overall better because you get your end-result a lot quicker. Not to mention, but in some predicaments it's just better to reverse cape period. Revere caping is overall better than forward caping, trust me. Once I get AR I'll be sure to study it and explain it to everybody.

Top Bottom