• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Marth Question and Answer Thread

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Am I the only one who has serious issues killing with Marth? I can bring a Pit up to 175% because I couldn't sweetspot him.

Besides FSmash at proper spacing, what are his other kill options?

DiscoSpider

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who has serious issues killing with Marth? I can bring a Pit up to 175% because I couldn't sweetspot him.

Marth's kill options are mostly achievable by baiting or reads. Based on experience, with tipper, Marth's tilts can kill at 100 with rage or even earlier depending where on the stage. You can also jab 1 into smash or mix it up with a SH DB cancel into Nair 1 into up smash.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Marth's kill options are mostly achievable by baiting or reads. Based on experience, with tipper, Marth's tilts can kill at 100 with rage or even earlier depending where on the stage. You can also jab 1 into smash or mix it up with a SH DB cancel into Nair 1 into up smash.
My friend is good at jab1 into FSmash, but I can't do it. > <

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
My friend is good at jab1 into FSmash, but I can't do it. > <
It because jab 1 into fsmash is not a true combo. it can be air dodged and jumped out of. If they air dodge, charge and hold the fsmash or run up and up smash. if they jump, follow up with an aerial. For me when it comes to getting kills, I get 75 percent of my kills from edge guarding, I would use counters, ledge trumps into tipper bair, and etc. on the ground, i go for jab 1 or nair 1 into fsmash or up smash. I also use tippered tilts with good spacing to finish them off. If i really cant finish my opponent off, if just rack up more percent until I can kill with up throw. And always look for those punishes, they can lead to free kills. If you find your opponent air dodging alot before landing on the ground, run under them and up smash, if u see an opponent use a move with alot of end lag, punish them for it.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The rising fair isn't the tricky part, it's timing the ff, too early and you get the heavy landing lag.
I never said it was but your timing has to assume that the rising fair was frame perfect.

Rango the Mercenary Rango the Mercenary If you're feeling confident, try spacing fast fall tipper Nair. Just another option

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace

Short hop, slight pause, Nair, fastfall.

That is a way to use just nair1. You can use it to set up fsmash, jab, grab, up b or usmash.

It takes practice. It works like short hop air dodge to nair1, only this way is faster.

Not many marths use it, to their detriment.
It really is a great option.

Also, short hop db to nair1 to usmash or Fsmash is most reliable just above 100% on characters of sheik or falcon's weight.

And sh Nair itself connects more reliably at higher percents, where at lower percents it might not connect at all.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
And if all else fails - your opponent is past 150-160ish and you can't find any other way to get rid of them, just use up-throw. According to this list, it starts killing Pit at 168% with no DI or (presumably) rage - rage brings it down to high 150s-low 160s.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Max rage brings it down to the lower 100s actually. Probably would kill Pit/another Marth at 130.

superthatdudeguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hike_w
Im a half decent player and im really trying to improve but i find that everytime i go onto for glory i end up fighting a campy link/falco or some crap like that. its not that i cant see what they are going to do next, its that i cannot seem to really be able to handle them, especially with there stupid lag that some of these people have! anybody else have this problem?because it has it has almost ruined for glory for me! also any advice on how to deal with this?

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Just a random comment. I would rather play against a shiek or zss than a greninja, ddd, or even MK sometimes. Can anyone tell me why marth absolutely sucks against those three seemingly more than zss and shiek??

Also, you should airdodge nair1, I'm willing to bet you aren't very much. Great setup move for smashes or anything else.

Also, grab more.

Learn to walk while perfect shielding if you haven't yet. Bait the grab, spotdodge (or airdodge, or roll), and punish.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Im a half decent player and im really trying to improve but i find that everytime i go onto for glory i end up fighting a campy link/falco or some crap like that. its not that i cant see what they are going to do next, its that i cannot seem to really be able to handle them, especially with there stupid lag that some of these people have! anybody else have this problem?because it has it has almost ruined for glory for me! also any advice on how to deal with this?
Locuan said:
Depending on the projectile, you may be able to clash/cancel them out with your jab, or Fair. For example, projectiles such as Link's boomerang and arrows fall under this category. Marth also has the nifty ability to auto cancel his air dodge if you input it as soon as you short hop. This can be used to evade projectiles and in some cases approach your opponent. You can also spot-dodge, shield, or roll to evade or block projectiles. A good opponent will mix up how he/she uses their projectile arsenal. You will respond to projectiles with one of the options above depending on the situation.

I recommend reading the section "Dealing with projectiles" from Emblem Lord's thread. Click here to access the thread.

Folt

Smash Ace
So, with the 1.1.1. patch, does Lucina finally stand as an equal to Marth? Did she become any better with the changes on shieldstun modifiers and what-not? I know Marth's untipped attacks are less safe than Lucina's now (compensated by making tipper attacks safer than they've been before), but does that finally give me a reason to play as her over Marth?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So, with the 1.1.1. patch, does Lucina finally stand as an equal to Marth? Did she become any better with the changes on shieldstun modifiers and what-not? I know Marth's untipped attacks are less safe than Lucina's now (compensated by making tipper attacks safer than they've been before), but does that finally give me a reason to play as her over Marth?
No, it doesn't. Marth gets more safety and reward for playing correctly (Lucina has to space the same way Marth does). Lucina also still can't kill with her aerials.

Folt

Smash Ace
No, it doesn't. Marth gets more safety and reward for playing correctly (Lucina has to space the same way Marth does). Lucina also still can't kill with her aerials.
I see. That is a shame.

Did Lucina get closer to being more viable competitively at least?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I see. That is a shame.

Did Lucina get closer to being more viable competitively at least?
Neither characters are truly viable competively. And neither character benefited more than average from the shield patch.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Absolutely not. I almost always get punished when I decide to throw out a Dair even when I think it's in a safe way.

DiscoSpider

Smash Rookie
How is Marth's neutral game? How to deal with an opponent just waiting for you to make a move then spot dodges or perfect shields accordingly then punishes?

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
For both MarthCIna/Roy, would be SH/SHFF dtilt(spaced) be a good approach option/mixup in the neutral?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
For both MarthCIna/Roy, would be SH/SHFF dtilt(spaced) be a good approach option/mixup in the neutral?
It's a mix up but at the same time you could be landing with a grab, jab, dancing blade (right before you land), Nair 1 (also right before), spot dodge, roll, shield. Dtilt is frame 7 so there are some of these other options that are just as fast if not faster. Usually walking Dtilt (with c stick attack) is more useful than SH dtilt. This makes it easier to watch their movement and bait something.

Last edited:

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely not. I almost always get punished when I decide to throw out a Dair even when I think it's in a safe way.
Yes, this is very true. The only place I find room for it is going for the spike. Which is ridiculously hard to get anyway...

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
I'm not the only one who uses up throw with rage as a kill option on high percents, right? it kills arround 150% on characters with average weight, and looks badass as hell when I do it.

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
You could also watch this here:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
So is Ken Combo a reliable option from 55-80% in Smash 4?
The Ken Combo is nearly impossible to do in Smash 4 due to how easy it is to escape the combo because the necessary moves, which are Double Fair and easy spike with Dair, is not in Smash 4. Even then, its not really a combo. Its just a string. A really easy to escape combo string.

You are much better of gimping and fishing for kills with F/U-Smash, Dolphin Slash or with Jab 1 shenanigans.

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
What is a decent practice or strategy to space with Marth? I'm used to his range in Melee and it seems that when I play Marth in Smash 4, I end up looking like an idiot who's just throwing out attacks. I really wanna make Marth work but his tools seem to not be there. I just want to know how to use the tools he DOES have to make the most out of Marth's skill.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
What is a decent practice or strategy to space with Marth? I'm used to his range in Melee and it seems that when I play Marth in Smash 4, I end up looking like an idiot who's just throwing out attacks. I really wanna make Marth work but his tools seem to not be there. I just want to know how to use the tools he DOES have to make the most out of Marth's skill.
I don't have any other tips of spacing with Marth other than "get used to Marth's new sword size". Also, Marth still has good aerials except dair, tilts and a pretty great Jab. His specials are pretty decent. Dolphin Slash still being good while Dancing blade... has issues.. His Forward Smash does allow Marth to kill ridiculously early whenever it is tippered but F-Smash has some.. hitbox issues, Up Smash is still good imo. I'm not one of the greatest Marth players in this board so my knowledge about Marth is very limited. The other Marths may even disagree about what I'm saying about him.

Last edited:

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Just keep playing and you will get used to his range. I play both smash 4 and melee back n forth, so im used to both and adjust easily to what game im playing. If you really need to, go to training mode and space yourself and try to land your tippers.

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Just keep playing and you will get used to his range. I play both smash 4 and melee back n forth, so im used to both and adjust easily to what game im playing. If you really need to, go to training mode and space yourself and try to land your tippers.
Ken combo is also very hard to land due to the new dair spike hitbox, but if you are confident, go for it. But a better option to kill if you able to fair them off stage is, fair >up b which kills starting around 60% imo, that been working alot for me. I also suggest joining the marth discord group and train with other marth players.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's pretty much Fsmash that has different range from Melee guys. Otherwise it's pretty similar. It's the fact that every non-sword character from Melee now has better range that makes Marth look like he has less.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty much Fsmash that has different range from Melee guys. Otherwise it's pretty similar. It's the fact that every non-sword character from Melee now has better range that makes Marth look like he has less.
Are you sure fair isn't shorter?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Are you sure fair isn't shorter?
I know Dtilt is definitely longer in Melee. I don't know about Fair, that's why I said pretty similar. For the most part, it's the same-ish. The sword is definitely the same size. Hitboxes and Marth's body (extending limbs and such) is what otherwise determines range.

Speaking of sword length, anyone care to explain how Marth's sword gets so big during Heavy Blade?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Is there an organized document out there at how Marth kills each character at what percent, depending on DI, rage and stage? Cause if not, I'd be willing to do so...

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Last edited:

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Is there an organized document out there at how Marth kills each character at what percent, depending on DI, rage and stage? Cause if not, I'd be willing to do so...
I actually have a spreadsheet in progress

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I have a question. Does each hit of Dancing Blade refresh the stale move queue? And if so, would it refresh if I was to not hit an opponent.

Take it like this. When I KO an opponent, I will do all 4 strikes of dancing blade, thus not hitting anybody. Will this refresh the stale move queue 4 times?

Halfminded

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Does each hit of Dancing Blade refresh the stale move queue? And if so, would it refresh if I was to not hit an opponent.

Take it like this. When I KO an opponent, I will do all 4 strikes of dancing blade, thus not hitting anybody. Will this refresh the stale move queue 4 times?
Not sure about the first question, but I do know that a move has to connect in order to register in the queue. So the answer to the second question is a no.

Top Bottom