• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Video Collection

SKidd

Smash Master
How many *****es do I have to slap posts do I have to make to get some critique around here?

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-@Dr.Yogi: you played overall good, using what Mario has to overcome a battle against a Ltier, i would like to see you in action against a Mtier next time, so, lvlup your game, that's the only thing that you have to do for now...learn, practice, execute, profit...-

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
@SKidd:

You should've been more defensive against that peach after getting a lead in stocks.
You were a bit aggressive to the point where you was read like a book.

You did really good offensively imo....
Use more....

-Fluud (For spacing/separation & kill setup)
-Fake outs/empty jumps
-Mindgames/Setups/baits

EDIT: When peach approaches with flowing dair. Shield>Up-b oos....works every time. :awesome:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
From one fellow anime avatar to another:

I'd have to rewatch it for a more thorough analysis, but I'm typing this in school and my classes start in like 20 minutes. :glare: Anyway.

Coolwhip brings up a good point. At the beginning you were doing very well, but your aggression was too obvious and you were easily read. In later matches you began to be more defensive but all you really did was fireball, which is not to be discouraged but fireballs alone doesn't make a good defense. B-air and OOS options should be applied more, and controlling the middle of the stage is important vs Peach because it limits her control options while it gives Mario a stronger position.

Peach is not really... gimpable by conventional means. Cape and FLUDD aren't the best options. You're better off edgeguarding her and applying more damage. If you can see an edgehog opportunity then do so. Otherwise don't go out of your way to -force- a gimp. That's actually the main reason why Peach continued to gain a lead while you were ahead.

Being passively aggressive is the best way to combat Peach. Always stay on her as if she promised you cake and didn't give any. Constantly nag her to do something. If you're too passive she'll continously dance around you, and if you're too aggressive she'll get the police on you.

Dr.Yogi

Smash Rookie
Heyyyyy if ya'll got the time i was wondering if i could get more input on dese matches so I can go **** face and such!

steep

Smash Lord
I'm going to a tourney tomorrow and will be recording as many friendlies/MM's/pools/tourney matches of my :mario2: and I will post them here asap. :) Also, when I have more time, I will critique some of these matches.

Just real quick KMF, something I noticed just from quickly watching your match - a few times you approached luigi in the air while he was trying to get back to the ground. And every time he air dodged through your attacks. After the first time, you could have done a few different things:

1. Jump towards him, then wait to see if he air dodges. Since you attacked him right away before and he air dodged then and didn't get hit, he will most likely air dodge again. If that is the case, then just attack him as his air dodge is ending (nair/dair is a good option if you are unsure of the exact timing of how long his air dodge lasts).

-or-

2. STAY ON THE GROUND. In most cases, you have more of an advantage when you are on the ground and they are in the air than if you approach them in the air. You have tons of punishment options on the ground, many more options than your opponent has to avoid being punished while in the air. In my experience, staying on the ground is your best option when your opponent is trying to land safely. Against luigi you DO have to be careful not to be too close to him as he lands, because he could punish you by air dodging your punish -> up b as he lands. Get used to either spacing your punish or shielding as they land and then punishing with an OoS option.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtFI2z-E0k&feature=feedu

Wifi friendlies but eh, one of the only times my gameplay has been posted. Even though its wifi, I'm open to any critique. Thank you.
Its been a while since I posted anything in here. Here's an online match between me and a Wolf player by the name of BBW. Enjoy and critique if you wish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRCCw0KQJn4
Hey I have a match from like a couple days ago. Thought i did alright. SOooo i linked it... below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P56-vSXWLM&feature=channel_video_title

Critique MEh. Trying to get on the lvl
Hey guys, I have a friendly for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P0PU2g6I_k
I learned I need to look out for Up-B's xd
I updated all of this in the OP (also the doubles matches of Dr. Yogi and 313 in the second post) and put DTM4 in the 2nd post in the "combo video" section

steep

Smash Lord
I played a MM and some friendlies with seagull man yesterday, and he said he would post them this week sometime. They went pretty well overall. He said I've got some serious Mario skills. Ha Ha So I'll post them here later this week and hopefully get some critiques.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to a tourney tomorrow and will be recording as many friendlies/MM's/pools/tourney matches of my :mario2: and I will post them here asap. :) Also, when I have more time, I will critique some of these matches.

Just real quick KMF, something I noticed just from quickly watching your match - a few times you approached luigi in the air while he was trying to get back to the ground. And every time he air dodged through your attacks. After the first time, you could have done a few different things:

1. Jump towards him, then wait to see if he air dodges. Since you attacked him right away before and he air dodged then and didn't get hit, he will most likely air dodge again. If that is the case, then just attack him as his air dodge is ending (nair/dair is a good option if you are unsure of the exact timing of how long his air dodge lasts).

-or-

2. STAY ON THE GROUND. In most cases, you have more of an advantage when you are on the ground and they are in the air than if you approach them in the air. You have tons of punishment options on the ground, many more options than your opponent has to avoid being punished while in the air. In my experience, staying on the ground is your best option when your opponent is trying to land safely. Against luigi you DO have to be careful not to be too close to him as he lands, because he could punish you by air dodging your punish -> up b as he lands. Get used to either spacing your punish or shielding as they land and then punishing with an OoS option.
Thanks for the feedback man.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'll critique in full later on.

For now, you hit his shield waaaay too much. Its good that you used Dair sometimes when you did it, but overall, you hit his shield far too many times when you didnt need to. This gives him a free punish which usually led to a string because he was reading you well.

When you can, land away from wolf or mix it up by cape stalling or caping the top of his shield and landing behind him or simply fastfalling and grabbing him. Keep him guessing as far as how to defend himself. If you watch the vids again, especially the friendly, you'll see what I mean...he's able to throw up his shield every time and count on you hitting it as you land.

steep

Smash Lord

For now, you hit his shield waaaay too much. Its good that you used Dair sometimes when you did it, but overall, you hit his shield far too many times when you didnt need to. This gives him a free punish which usually led to a string because he was reading you well.

When you can, land away from wolf or mix it up by cape stalling or caping the top of his shield and landing behind him or simply fastfalling and grabbing him. Keep him guessing as far as how to defend himself. If you watch the vids again, especially the friendly, you'll see what I mean...he's able to throw up his shield every time and count on you hitting it as you land.
Thanks for the advice and I look forward to your full critique as well! I will work on hitting the opponents shield every time… I think that is one of my big weaknesses right now. It's something I need to get over.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just don't do it if you have another option, lol. If we were Marth or MK, we could get away with hitting a shield and remaining safe. Mario doesnt have that luxury against most characters.

If you MUST, then Dair into their shield like you were doing in the vids.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

You definitely dont wanna do that against Wolf, his full hop bair AND fair OoS will eat you alive, not to mention he can also shine, nair, or even utilt it all on reaction before your lag on cape is over.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mix-up options aren't supposed to be 100% safe...they're supposed to catch the opponent offguard. There's no character in the game that can't punish caping the top of their shield, but the window of punishment isn't large and the options afforded if they shield it aren't bad.

Steep actually opens up one match this way and Seagull doesn't punish it.

We don't have any one great option for landing vs Wolf...that's actually one of the negative things about this match-up...his mobility + our vulnerability from below makes it hard to land in general vs Wolf. We don't have anything to make that easy for us.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I thought you were actually talking about a different situation, sorry, I misread you.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No need to apologize, I should've been clearer from the get go.

Steep, would you be down to meet in the Xat to talk about the vids?

steep

Smash Lord
Sure man just let me know when you want to meet. Afternoon would be better for me but not too late because I'm going to play brawl with some of my hometown friends tonight. It's going to be a good night for Mario. lol So maybe at 4:30?

BTW Fluttershy what you said about his bair and OoS fair punishing the cape stall, that's often better than having your landing be read and getting dsmashed or usmashed. lol I think the best option against Wolf is to try to land away from him and cover your landing with a fireball towards him, which will prevent Wolf from dacus'ing into your landing. If he reflects the fireball you can shield or cape it. Just gotta be careful because caping and fireballing randomly will lead to you being punished hard during the ending lag of these moves…

Also, I see you lurking Seagull… haha sorry for invoking your name so much and namesearch summoning you…

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm in the Xat now, Steep. I know we have another hour (I think), but incase you're free already...

steep

Smash Lord
It was good talking with you in the Xat Matador! We covered a lot of good territory about that MU and Mario play in general.

steep

Smash Lord
I'll critique these later today! ^^

EDIT: Procrastination + Classes = Incorrect statement above… lol I'll get to it eventually though...

Top Bottom