• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Video Collection

steep

Smash Lord
Good advice there A2! I will definitely have to try those things out as well! Wolf's bair was the only thing giving me a hard time once i learned to shield, and not cape, his lasers, and to play really smart.

Also, if I don't have a capture card, how would you guys suggest I get my videos out there?

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
adding to vids
Good advice there A2! I will definitely have to try those things out as well! Wolf's bair was the only thing giving me a hard time once i learned to shield, and not cape, his lasers, and to play really smart.

Also, if I don't have a capture card, how would you guys suggest I get my videos out there?
PM fire! (profile is in the OP) and see if you guys can work something out.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So guys, i got some matches saved at an overnight smashfest last night, and imma upload them later tonight/tomorrow morning, and would love some critique. Remember, I generally new to Mario, so dont be too rough lol. :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That cool whip one against snake on Pokemon Stadium lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

You'd probably have to remind me a few times, but I think I can probably upload videos for you. I just need to go look for my equipment since I haven't used it in a while.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First match: Spotdodge less. More F-tilt. When you're under someone and they're on a platform, SH D-air is the best option.

Learn to recover without using Up-B when possible. When you have to, learn to ledgehop B-air to bypass RCO lag.

2:10 Whiffed grab. Why didn't you U-smash? Even B-throw might have killed at around that range.

2:18, if you simply just shielded, you could have U-smashed out of shield for a kill. Again, spotdodging is not something to rely on.

Don't try to Jab cancel D-smash ZSS. It's too difficult. Just Jab cancel grab in most matchups. The easiest matchups to Jab cancel D-smash in are against Pit, Marth, and Peach imo.

Actually in general just spotdodge less. Also mix in SH D-airs into approach instead of N-air. More F-tilt. Also get comfortable with fireball approaches.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Green is the best Mario color.

And thanks A2, i do know I spotdodge a lot, it's a yoshi habit (godly spot dodge + no OoS options = lots of spotdodge lol). And I'll work on the other stuff :)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No wai!

Definitely Classic or FireMario, imo. Green Mario has those shoes...ick

I watched the vs Pit match so far (will watch the rest later tonight) and one think I like is that you're abusing the jab1 jab2 dsmash combo. Just get a little better at hit confirming it, cuz a few times he'd shield the first hit or something but you'd continue the combo anyway. Once he shields the first, just try to cancel into something else from there (jab1 -> grab, jab1 ->spotdodge...) to keep your momentum.

It's difficult to jab cancel on your toes like that, but it's a huge benefit to your close range game if you're great at jab-cancels. So far, I think you're off to a good start.

:phone:

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, Classic Mario is beast.

Zero Suit Samus: You approached with n-airs a lot...interesting as usually most don't usually n-air, good, but try to mix it up with other aerials. Also when Zero Suit Samus whiffs a grab, she's asking for a Pivot Forward Smash lol. Don't use f-air unless you know it's going to hit offstage, or else you'll just get punished for using it. If you don't feel comfortable about using her suit pieces chuck them offstage. Also never use d-tilt :p.

vs Ike: Way too many spotdoges, try to use them a lot less, approach more with Fireball's, and lastly keep a charged FLUDD for when Ike is offstage. If he tries to recover low, just FLUDD him and he's done majority of the time.

That's all I had time, will do the rest later. Anyways good job in general, keep it up :).

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I only watched the ZSS so far.I lol'd when you punished her whiffed grabs with both of Mario's worst attacks xD dtilt and dash attack.
Also, MORE CAPE, less F-AIR.

You missed a jablock against Ike at 1:25 :x

steep

Smash Lord
Heeey mario boards here are some matches of my mario. You could call these seriouslies. Critique please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4wjUnR_Sw&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWOwWSAYAY&feature=feedu

More to come!
You have a nice Mario, with a good knowledge of choosing good options most of the time and of what works when. Also, you are good at not committing too often, and you seem to play smart! That being said, here are my comments:

Match 1:

Good job using your mixups and grab game, and nice use of nair for gimps and approaches, and bair OoS. When your opponent is hitting you with multi-hit jabs (i.e. @0:11) you can generally use Mario's up b to not only interrupt their attack and do some damage, but also reset to a neutral position.

@0:22, When you were fireballing him, you probably should have just kept doing that, forcing him to either approach or run away, as it was working effectively, and approaching with a nair just led to you getting punished.

@0:30, it would have been much more Mario-like to cape him. just sayin'. :D

@0:37, when he was trying to pressure you with projectiles, fludd would have worked great. and it would have pushed Link away, giving you room to get back to the stage.

@0:46, a stutter-stepped fsmash would have worked nicely. :D Or, since he was at low %, a grab -> dthrow, etc. would have been even better.

@1:06 you could have caped his boomerang and really messed with his spacing. ;)

You might have been able to not fast fall after your up b and make it to the moving platform when he killed you that first time but oh well you lived for quite a while anyway. Ha Ha

Nice nair gimp @1:36.

Match 2:

@0:32, OoS up b, nair, uair, or usmash would have worked well, instead of bair. Or even jab or grab OoS.

Try not to air dodge into your opponent's attacks so much. It generally doesn't work well for Mario. Just run away and fireball camp. And fludd/cape when Link tries to use projectiles of his own.

Around 2:26 and before, when you were trying to get back to the stage, use more fireballs. It keeps your opponent from being able to edge guard you like that.

@2:32, when your opponent is above you on a platform, your dair is better than uair for pressuring them. Dair prevents your opponent from spotdodging incesantly, and also applies quite a bit of shield pressure.

In general, the reason you probably lost this game is because you play very aggressively with Mario and got punished for approaching when you probably should have retreated.

General comments:

Don't be afraid to cape sometimes. There were times where a good cape could have helped you out greatly. It's a good option for stalling, reflecting projectiles, and just messing with your opponent. Don't spam it, obviously, but it's not bad if used once in a while.

Also, with Link especially, fludd is your friend. Fludd stops all of Link's projectiles. And it can be a viable gimping option, especially if it can push them just out of range of tethering the ledge.

One last thing. Although being aggressive works in some MUs, Mario is generally a defensive character. He thrives on pokes and punishes, and forcing approaches, against most of the cast. While being aggressive on this Link player worked most of the time, you have to be careful if you are planning on using Mario in the future against other characters.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but here are a couple friendlies between me and Rogue Blades.... I'm not playing my best here, since it's not a tourney match and we were just having fun. But still, you can usually tell when I step it up and when I slack off in these two games so if you wanna critique me, feel free to!

steep (Mario) vs Rogue Blades (Snake)

steep (Mario) vs Rogue Blades (Marth)
Watched the Snake match
Only advise I'd wanna give you is that when the Snake hang on the ledge and was trying to get back, you could charge a F-Smash and lots of Snakes fall right in and get an easy KO.
Furthermore, when the Snake recovered from above, charge a Up-Smash (if they don't B-Pivot), you'll get them for sure.
For the rest you played pretty well.

steep

Smash Lord
Watched the Snake match
Only advise I'd wanna give you is that when the Snake hang on the ledge and was trying to get back, you could charge a F-Smash and lots of Snakes fall right in and get an easy KO.
Furthermore, when the Snake recovered from above, charge a Up-Smash (if they don't B-Pivot), you'll get them for sure.
For the rest you played pretty well.
Thanks for the advice! How'd you like that grenade recovery? lol

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@steep
ok, thanks for the critique! I didn't even know mario was supposed to be more of a defensive character, I'll work on it.
I'll come back for more critiques in a little while :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, only characters with safe pressure (Marth, MK) can really be played aggressively.

It can be done with Mario, but it's not easy. Lots of mindgaming and prediction involved to make up for what Mario lacks.

steep

Smash Lord
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I just had the best game ever!!!!! I took a Marth player to Brinstar and cape ***** him at 91 after the hit for the kill off the acid first stock..... and then i proceeded to thoroughly outplay him and i was gonna save it but it was a 3 MINUTE 1 SECOND MATCH!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I just had the best game ever!!!!! I took a Marth player to Brinstar and cape ***** him at 91 after the hit for the kill off the acid first stock..... and then i proceeded to thoroughly outplay him and i was gonna save it but it was a 3 MINUTE 1 SECOND MATCH!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Get that homebrew, son.
Replay hack is g-tier.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwrqkLP8lE

Here's a match vs me and Cezz...

Wi-fi match but I loved the ending so I just had to record it. Sorry Coolwhip I didn't get to yours though by the time I had it it was too late but I can do it when I come back from sure or you can ask someone else but I PROMISE Ill do it when I come back. Keep the boards running guys!

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwrqkLP8lE

Here's a match vs me and Cezz...

Wi-fi match but I loved the ending so I just had to record it. Sorry Coolwhip I didn't get to yours though by the time I had it it was too late but I can do it when I come back from sure or you can ask someone else but I PROMISE Ill do it when I come back. Keep the boards running guys!
I did horrible at that match (STUPID BOMBS, I'll get you back for that TEB!), your good at mindgames btw, keep it up!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
That's one of the reasons why i hate that stage. LOL
Cool mario cezz, keep it up.

@Teb: I can wait brah.

Top Bottom