• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Match-up Index (Updated as of 1/14/10)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The number one thing I depise in this game is the massive hom0 grabs. Olimar and ICS and D3 just make this game phail when Iplay as Mario. Why? I have to play campfest and spacing like the ****** I am.

Oli's pivot grabs ARE GODLY. Literally. Oh and oli can't camp forever, tip = you can attack the pikimin to refresh ur moves.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I really have no problems with Olimar whatsoever.

As for Ice Climbers, keep them separated, D-air is good, then juggle Nana while fighting Popo. When they're together, space well. Fireballs go through blizzard but not ice blocks, so make sure you do Short/Full Hops while spamming. FLUDD is extremely good to use, not for FIHL, but because the ICs have such low traction it can push them off the stage.

Someone call in the Olimar boards for a discussion. Mario's N-air beats a large majority of Olimar's moves except for U-air. D-air can also be used to avoid getting shield-grabbed, and Mario's aerials just outright beat Olimar's. Pikmin throw is no problem either with Cape and FLUDD.

Olimar ain't DDD. He'll need more than pivot grabs to allow this to be in his favor.

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
dair and nair get through that little bastrads defense, olimar is annoying but his not crazy hard. My bro plays with oliamr so I get a lot of practice. Fireballs are a good aproach too it break the grab of olimar. Their offense sucks compare to mario's but olimars just wait for you to approach

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Usually I just FLUDD them if their campy and I always get an opening. It also just annoys them and forces them to approach.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
something about this thread is off.....

Mario shouldn't be #27 if he has only 10 disadvantages.....saying as how fox mains say they have 14 bad matchups and they're higher on the tier list

one of those boards is lying. I dont doubt any claims in the thread that "X is beatable" or anything equivalent to "I'm good enough to beat my local Xs".

I've always thought that mario "didn't suck" and while looking for info as to WHY he could be amazing i gotta admit I'm reading this thread with a bit of a sense that i'm being lied to.

How bad is the DDD infinite (as in, can it be done at any percent) because if it can then you should change that matchup to at least 8:2 or even 9:1

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Go and read the match-up discussions for Mario in our boards and in others, then you'll have a better idea of what's going on and why. Anyway, you can always come to me if you have questions or need some help.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
i did.....thing is that the discussions were generally shallow and lacked...............content. Maybe im just used to the lucario boards, but it seems that there was a general lack of help from people that main the character you're discussing, which i feel creates a bias for the main (in this case mario). I doubt that the chart would be perfectly objective in the first place, but i feel that that should've been used more, if at all.

Plus i dislike the list of pro/cons due to it seeming pretty unorganized and there are even some characters that have nothing in the pro/con but are ranked here (lucario is the one i noticed, i bet there's more). And i wouldn't have seen the fox pro/con had i not been reading the rob one and wondering why rob has 2 pro/cons....

Maybe i'm just used to how amazingly organized and generally thorough the lucario boards were........

Matt07

Smash Master
Meh, I could see after we're done discussing all of the characters, each member could be responsible for a more 'in-depth' character summary.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Just putting my opinion to what I think is different from what you have:

vs. Lucario: 40-60 Lucario
vs. Ike: 60-40 Mario (if you wanna put 65-35 Mario be my guest)
vs. Bowser: 60-40 Mario (at least something in Mario's advantage)
vs Lucas: 60-40
vs. Ness: 60-40 Mario at least
vs. Toon Link 55-45 Toon Link
vs. Diddy Kong: 55-45 Diddy (?)
vs. Wolf: 50:50
vs. Olimar: not sure but probably something in Olimar's advantage (40-60 maybe?)
maybe switch Ivysaur to 60:40
PT overall: 60:40

I really like this layout. Where did you get this and how can I get my own version?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Just putting my opinion to what I think is different from what you have:

vs. Lucario: 40-60 Lucario
vs. Ike: 60-40 Mario (if you wanna put 65-35 Mario be my guest)
vs. Bowser: 60-40 Mario (at least something in Mario's advantage)
vs Lucas: 60-40
vs. Ness: 60-40 Mario at least
vs. Toon Link 55-45 Toon Link
vs. Diddy Kong: 55-45 Diddy (?)
vs. Wolf: 50:50
vs. Olimar: not sure but probably something in Olimar's advantage (40-60 maybe?)
maybe switch Ivysaur to 60:40
PT overall: 60:40

I really like this layout. Where did you get this and how can I get my own version?
Your opinon and your matchup ratios won't really make a difference in this chart if that's your main point; otherwise alot of it is wrong lol. I think he got the layout from Lucario or PT boards idk. But its just your opinon so meh.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm just putting out what i think is different, and some of these might make him look better when it comes to the tier list. If I'm wrong I'll accept it, but somebody tell me why Lucario vs. Mario is 50:50.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i did.....thing is that the discussions were generally shallow and lacked...............content. Maybe im just used to the lucario boards, but it seems that there was a general lack of help from people that main the character you're discussing, which i feel creates a bias for the main (in this case mario). I doubt that the chart would be perfectly objective in the first place, but i feel that that should've been used more, if at all.

Plus i dislike the list of pro/cons due to it seeming pretty unorganized and there are even some characters that have nothing in the pro/con but are ranked here (lucario is the one i noticed, i bet there's more). And i wouldn't have seen the fox pro/con had i not been reading the rob one and wondering why rob has 2 pro/cons....

Maybe i'm just used to how amazingly organized and generally thorough the lucario boards were........
You're looking for a finished product when we're not finished with discussions. There are plenty we need to do again, as Mario's metagame has advanced pretty far since alot of our initial discussions took place. I suppose we should apologize for not being the Marth boards and taking 3 discussions at a time and ending them same day on the grounds that "well...um...we have Fair. 60:40". You can't really fault us for taking our time.

I'm really glad that the Lucario boards have a nice chart too...and that their organizational skills are Godly...and that they've already completed discussions. We, however, are NOT finished, and our chart will not be totally accurate until we are.

Until then...what do you think needs to be changed? D3 isn't 80:20 because we can mash out until about 60%, and do reasonably well against him otherwise. We also have a great defensive game to deal with keeping him away, but it's still a 70:30 matchup.

Edit: ALSO, regarding the correlation between Mario's tier placement and number of bad matchups....the last tier list was fail. This is old news.

Matt07

Smash Master
Mario is the Metaknight of Low Tiers, lol.

Also Hero isn't as active as he was before O_o, Hero will be a ninja like, ???????

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
something about this thread is off.....

Mario shouldn't be #27 if he has only 10 disadvantages.....saying as how fox mains say they have 14 bad matchups and they're higher on the tier list

one of those boards is lying. I dont doubt any claims in the thread that "X is beatable" or anything equivalent to "I'm good enough to beat my local Xs".

I've always thought that mario "didn't suck" and while looking for info as to WHY he could be amazing i gotta admit I'm reading this thread with a bit of a sense that i'm being lied to.

How bad is the DDD infinite (as in, can it be done at any percent) because if it can then you should change that matchup to at least 8:2 or even 9:1
This post is sole evidence of lack of experience with Mario mains. Mario's tier placement is as it is only because of representation.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And Ness is the Snake then.
No. Samus. She can lay bombs, camp with her range and missiles, and she survives forever. And her U-tilt and F-tilt are both sorta gay with their very good range.

Yoshi is the really bad DDD with his rare chaingrabs and egg toss spam and a reasonably gay pivot grab.

Mario, Samus, and Yoshi...they could potentially be higher on the tiers as they have a few good matchups that are worth noting.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Also Hero isn't as active as he was before O_o, Hero will be a ninja like, ???????
Eh, just had a lot on my mind lately.

I still got this chart in mind though. Is Boss' match-up discussion ever gonna get off of "Pending"?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Freakin sneaky ninja lolol.

So like I'm still getting buttraped by olimar's as usual. And i dont think we're not doing the olimar debate or such are we? :/

if not, shall we do the luigi vs mario debate? The mario boards have been dead in like a month, well except with CoT4 **** but that's done. This board is dying =/

Matt07

Smash Master
Uuh Luigi vs Mario? That is like asking for a 'flame war' on these boards.

For those that remember the thread, you will know what I mean.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
yeah well, this board REALLY needs some excitement. it's been so dead lately =/ besides that thread was in the past; most of them were just scrubs who aren't real luigi mains, and for those who are the real luigi mains should be matured for the discussion. You know who you are

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
yeah well, this board REALLY needs some excitement. it's been so dead lately =/ besides that thread was in the past; most of them were just scrubs who aren't real luigi mains, and for those who are the real luigi mains should be matured for the discussion. You know who you are
It'd be nice if Boss came on here a little more often, no word on his Gimp List either.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
No. Samus. She can lay bombs, camp with her range and missiles, and she survives forever. And her U-tilt and F-tilt are both sorta gay with their very good range.

Yoshi is the really bad DDD with his rare chaingrabs and egg toss spam and a reasonably gay pivot grab.

Mario, Samus, and Yoshi...they could potentially be higher on the tiers as they have a few good matchups that are worth noting.
No way man. Samus is nowhere near Ness. Hell, Ness has consistently bested all of low tier in representation too. No way man, no way.

(besides, Samus doesn't even have an gay uptilt)

No. The power hitters of low tier are: Ness, Mario and Yoshi.

Watch out for them.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No way man. Samus is nowhere near Ness. Hell, Ness has consistently bested all of low tier in representation too. No way man, no way.

(besides, Samus doesn't even have an gay uptilt)

No. The power hitters of low tier are: Ness, Mario and Yoshi.

Watch out for them.
Sonic beats all of lowtier, technically speaking.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No doubt, Mario > all of low tier, but Sonic remains epic. If I didn't play this for Mario, it'd be for Sonic.

Top Bottom