• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
As it stands, Roy in Melee is as much of a clone as Dark Pit. Dr. Mario and Wolf are more differentiated from Mario and Fox, respectively. This is a fact, I'm afraid. That doesn't mean he deserves the hate though, of course.

:231:
Woah, no, i can't agree to that. Roy is nowhere near a clone to Marth as Lucina and Dark Pit are. I'd compare Roy to Dr.Mario in terms of cloneness.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Woah, no, i can't agree to that. Roy is nowhere near a clone to Marth as Lucina and Dark Pit are. I'd compare Roy to Dr.Mario in terms of cloneness.
I was comparing :marthmelee: to :roymelee:. Yeah, if you comapre :4marth: and :roypm:, then he's closer to :4drmario: on the scale of clone-ness.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I was comparing :marthmelee: to :roymelee:. Yeah, if you comapre :4marth: and :roypm:, then he's closer to :4drmario: on the scale of clone-ness.

Imo the comparison still stands for :marthmelee: to :roymelee: . Melee Roy has t3h ph1r3 and about all of his moves have different hitboxes, sourspots, sweetspots, etc. as well as other stuff like different fall speed and weight whereas only some of Dark Pit's moves are different from Pit's, and the only aesthetic changes are Silver Bow and Electroshock Arm.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
you know I Would be fine if he was in if he was a semi-clone I played as him in melee if he was a heavy fighter and still retained his fire multi hit box in some of his moves that would be cool also if they would just change his side B in to something else I would be cool with it

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
One thing that occurs to me is as far as trailers are concerned, they already used the Melee FE theme for Robin/Lucina's reveal. I don't think they have ever reused music for same-series reveal trailers, so I am left wondering what theme they would go with for our boy Roy.

Winning Road/Roy's Hope seems like an obvious choice, but I can't help feeling that the Melee FE theme would be more fitting.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
One thing that occurs to me is as far as trailers are concerned, they already used the Melee FE theme for Robin/Lucina's reveal. I don't think they have ever reused music for same-series reveal trailers, so I am left wondering what theme they would go with for our boy Roy.

Winning Road/Roy's Hope seems like an obvious choice, but I can't help feeling that the Melee FE theme would be more fitting.
Seems like a reallly arbitrary criteria to decide from on what theme should be played in reveal trailers.
But I guess the Fire Emblem Meeting Theme medley would be an alright substitute, it contains a remixed Melee FE theme in it and would be appropriate given the theme is after all a medley of when you recruit new characters in Fire Emblem.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mewtwo used the Gen III Victory Road remix from Brawl. It's rather unrelated to him, although it did fit his trailer. My guess would be Waluigi Pinball Attack! from Brawl.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Mewtwo used the Gen II Victory Road remix from Brawl. It's rather unrelated to him, although it did fit his trailer. My guess would be Waluigi Pinball Attack! from Brawl.

That's actually a good song to since both the song and Roy are from same system. (Unless Attack was in 7 and 8)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd still like Winning Road, for it's triumphant tone and throwing back to Roy's adventures overall. Lucas had his tunes from Mother 3 used as well, so yeah.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
The Melee tiers at least are fairly decisive on how Roy isn't much of a clone/

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would be great if they played Together we Ride as the first theme song and then towards the end it plays Roy's Hope. They used 2 themes with Lucas so it can defiantly happen.

More specifically, Roy's Hope would play at 0:38 to 1:05 (after Together we Ride) to end the trailer. Would be extremely hype.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Hey guys want a fun fact?
Roy has had 2 game appearances he obviously has his Fire Emblem Binding Blade (FE6) appearance, as well as cameo in a secret scene in (FE7)/Fire Emblem the Blazing Sword's ending

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Or a new remix. Kongo Jungle already has no less than 400 remixes in Smash, why can't the classic FE recruit theme?

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Hey guys want a fun fact?
Roy has had 2 game appearances he obviously has his Fire Emblem Binding Blade (FE6) appearance, as well as cameo in a secret scene in (FE7)/Fire Emblem the Blazing Sword's ending
4 actually...
There's Melee and Awakening as well.
Would be 5 if you count his Brawl sticker. Potentially 7 with Sm4sh DLC.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why this thread doesn't give me alerts... I would be more active if I got them ;-; But even though predicting trailer theme songs is getting a little too far ahead of ourselves, Winning Road or even the Melee theme would fit it I think (the epic remix that Smash 4 did. I kind of envision Roy's trailer being him coming back from oblivion to assist his old friends). The Melee theme because it was Roy's first appearance in a video game after all. But I can't tell clearly, there are too many great options. but I really want Winning Road

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Since I am getting attacked so much, allow me to state my case.

You took my points extremely out of context. I am not saying that I don't want K.Rool in smash, I just think that his inclusion would be a terrible idea overall.

K.Rool is a terrible choice for a myriad of reasons. I'll try to list them out so that you can understand:

• They will never make K. Rool a fast character. Believe it or not, that would be what is known as "overpowered." As such, we will have yet another large, power character to go along with the likes of :
  • ROB (Who fills the "heavy with projectiles" niche),
  • Bowser (who fills the "heavy with tons of killing power" niche),
  • Ganondorf(Who fills the "heavy with grapples" niche),
  • DeDeDe (Who fills the niche of having melee range + a neat projectile,)
  • DK (Who fills the "heavy with melee range" niche),
  • and Charizard, (Who at this point is a heavy character simply because he can be.)
Notice the overlap already?

To summarize real quick, K. Rool would be yet another heavy character among six others. As you can see by my lovely chart, there are no other niches for K. Rool to fit as a character. Any attempt to create a move set for him would result in him overlapping with an already made, preset character.

Oh how I can already hear you scream:

Mid-weight characters are abundant because they are the middle between light and heavy. Therefore it makes sense for the cast to overall be based towards mid-sized characters like Mario and Luigi. As such, Overlap is to be expected. Overlap is OK for Middle weight characters because unlike Heavy Weights, Most middle weight characters have some diversity outside of the obvious clones.

And the whole point I bring up series representation is this:

Why should we have yet another character, who at this point shows no potential outside of replacing the role of a pre-existing character, for no other reason but "i liek Dankey kAng".

What I would MUCH rather Nintendo do is something that they did with Melee.

Any of you remember Roy? Any of you remember how Marth and Roy showed up in Smash Bros before they even had their own game in English? Do you remember how much you liked Roy because he looked so cool then you wanted to know what game he was from?

Do you remember Shulk? And how only a few people knew who he was before Smash Bros?

How about instead of rehashing a character who, by the way, hasn't seen a main series game since 1999, we get someone new to promote a new game? Perhaps a character from Zelda U, StarFox U, Splatoon, or something we haven't even heard of yet?

Finally, this is for all you trolls out there, gonna try to rip me to shreds over my own character choices, the characters I want in Smash have no series representation yet. If you're gonna try and rip me apart by saying:

Then you simply have no argument.

TL:DR

K.Rool would have to take the role of an existing character to be included in smash.
I would much rather see some characters from games that haven't been released yet.
This reads like a K. Rool support post with how much of a self parody it is. Being heavy in of itself isn't exactly a huge benefit when it just makes them more vulnerable for characters like Sheik to destroy, it's a rather unimportant part of the balancing process compared to balancing the moves ignoring the weight. Regardless, yes, many people prefer this playstyle, and many of the existing newcomers have overlap with the main roster due to how overwhelmingly generic they are.

I'm not shocked anymore by out of left field characters that nobody requested and people go out of their way to defend regardless of who they are upon release. They are the norm at this point after SSB4's roster. I don't want to be "surprised", I want to play as Nintendo all-stars.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't understand why this thread doesn't give me alerts... I would be more active if I got them ;-; But even though predicting trailer theme songs is getting a little too far ahead of ourselves, Winning Road or even the Melee theme would fit it I think (the epic remix that Smash 4 did. I kind of envision Roy's trailer being him coming back from oblivion to assist his old friends). The Melee theme because it was Roy's first appearance in a video game after all. But I can't tell clearly, there are too many great options. but I really want Winning Road
Have you got notifications turned off? If not, once you're in a thread, near the top, click on "Watch thread' and you'll receive a notification if someone posted

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Have you got notifications turned off? If not, once you're in a thread, near the top, click on "Watch thread' and you'll receive a notification if someone posted
I don't have them turned off, every single other thread I watch gives me notifications. But I think I fixed it, I got one for your post.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm seriously hyped for Roy. I always found the guy loads more fun than Marth ever was.
...plus I'm sort of a clone-addict...

Here's hoping he keeps the Flare Blade as it was in Melee. (downward strike) That alone would differentiate him from Marth and Lucina. <3

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm seriously hyped for Roy. I always found the guy loads more fun than Marth ever was.

Here's hoping he keeps the Flare Blade as it was in Melee. (downward strike) That alone would differentiate him from Marth and Lucina. <3
I was hoping for a revamped Flare Blade where Roy charges his blade by holding the sword above him and lunges his sword similar to his FE6 animation though the old Melee neutral B works. I made a custom revamped moveset for him.

Idle Animation: Retains his Melee idle Animation.

:GCA:Jab, Same as Marth/Lucina's.

:GCR:/:GCL::GCA:Altered forward-tilt, Would lunge his sword at his opponent horizontally.

:GCR:/:GCL::GCA:Altered dash attack, keeping the sword near his chest as opposed to swinging lower to the ground.

:GCU::GCA:Altered up-tilt attack, keeping it close and dangerous but covering more towards his body. Would be a bit more weaker in the game.

:GCD::GCA:Altered down-tilt attack, Similar to Shulk's down tilt but with the same effect it had in Melee.

:GCR:/:GCL::GCA:New Forward Smash; Similar to the Mii Swordfighter Forward Smash, Roy brings his sword towards him and then lunges his sword at his opponent.

:GCU::GCA:New Up Smash; Roy thrusts his sword skyward, nudging his opponent above him, and after a small delay, the tip of the sword explodes

:GCD::GCA:New Down Smash, Since Roy's going to have a new Side B, he can have this move as his down Smash instead only it would need to be a bit nerfed from what you see in the above picture.

:GCA: Neutral Air: Same as Marth and Lucina's Neutral Air only with a fire effect.

:GCL:/:GCR::GCA:Forward Air: Same as Marth and Lucina's.

:GCR:/:GCL::GCA:Back Air: Similar to his PM Back Air.

:GCU::GCA:Up Air: Same as Marth and Lucina's

:GCD::GCA:Down Air: Same as Marth and Lucina's

:GCB:Revamped Flare Blade: The move would have the same effect it had in Melee only the animation would be similar to the one he had in Fire Emblem 6. He would hold his sword upwards (while the sword is on fire) instead of holding it near his shoulder and would lunge his sword at his opponent instead of slamming his sword on the ground.

:GCR:/:GCL::GCB:Flare Charge: A brand new Side B for Roy that lets him charge and shoot a fireball from his sword. His start up animation would be similar to Ike's Side B and he would be able to charge up his fireball for higher damage and knockback.

:GCU::GCB:Revamped Blazer: Similar to the Blazer he had in Melee only he moves in a 360 degree angle that gives him great horizontal recovery and good vertical recovery.

:GCD::GCB:Double-Edged Counter: Roy's counter from Melee combined with his Double-Edged Dance from Melee since he uses a different Side B (at least with this moveset). He would counter like normal as he does in Melee only he would be able to use his Double-Edged dance upon countering. A great defensive tool for Roy to use.

:GCB:Ultimate Flare (Final Smash): Similar to Marth and Lucina's animation for their Final Smash's, Roy goes from one side of the stage to the other and unleashes a massive eruption that deals 70% damage to anyone that comes in to contact with the eruption.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

I hope he gets something better than that wimpy-ass Dancing Blade they gave Marth and Lucina. I want something with substance and formidable kill power; something where each step and variation thereof of the dance has meaning, and there's actually a degree of finesse in its execution.

A true dance of blades. Something legitimately worthy of the name "double-edge" should it return in that form.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I revised Roy's Down B for my custom moveset. I changed it so he would combine his Counter with his Double-Edged dance.

Double-Edged Counter:
Roy's counter from Melee combined with his Double-Edged Dance from Melee since he uses a different Side B (at least with this moveset). He would counter like normal as he does in Melee only he would be able to use his Double-Edged dance upon countering. A great defensive tool for Roy to use.

Check out my complete move list above.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have a different theory then the common "Roy will be announced at the FE concert" one.

What if they have Roy's reveal trailer at E3 right after they show off SMT X FE or FE14 (announcing him for the Summer season) and then at the FE concert, they not only reveal the final date for Roy but also announce a remake of FE7 and FE6 on the 3DS that combines both games in to one story?

It's better than waiting for July to have the first official conformation for Roy and also a lot better.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Whilst it would suffice for being visually different, people will still find reasons to complain for being another Fire Emblem sword wielder with chargeable neutral B/counter down B.

Hell, there's still people out there complaining that Ike is a semi-clone/inherent Roy clone since he can hurt himself with neutral B (worse, it took the fire from Eruption being blue now to convince them otherwise).

At least it's not as bad as the "blue-haired swordwielder/10" crowd.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I have a different theory then the common "Roy will be announced at the FE concert" one.

What if they have Roy's reveal trailer at E3 right after they show off SMT X FE or FE14 (announcing him for the Summer season) and then at the FE concert, they not only reveal the final date for Roy but also announce a remake of FE7 and FE6 on the 3DS that combines both games in to one story?

It's better than waiting for July to have the first official conformation for Roy and also a lot better.
Don't tease with my emotions.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959

...You've successfully broken down my wall of "not having too much hope lest I be painfully disappointed."
I really need that double-game remake in my life. I don't remotely know how likely a remake of FE6 and 7 would be, but man I'd love it if it happened.

In regards to Roy, that would be an excellent set up for announcement, as far as him being in smash goes. It would line up well with the whole Smash Ballot finishing up not too far later. I just hope that the DLC isn't as spread out as Mario Kart 8 has been... The waits have been painful.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...You've successfully broken down my wall of "not having too much hope lest I be painfully disappointed."
I really need that double-game remake in my life. I don't remotely know how likely a remake of FE6 and 7 would be, but man I'd love it if it happened.

In regards to Roy, that would be an excellent set up for announcement, as far as him being in smash goes. It would line up well with the whole Smash Ballot finishing up not too far later. I just hope that the DLC isn't as spread out as Mario Kart 8 has been... The waits have been painful.
I've been thinking about this for some time. If Marth's game was able to get remade, then certainly the game that was responsible for getting western fans in to the series would follow suit. Not only that but this would be the perfect opportunity to not only remake an old classic but to give Western fans the sequel that they never got to play (as far as official releases are concerned lol). Also a great chance to fix Roy's stats seeing as people complain endlessly about that and maybe flesh out his personality a bit more. Would be the perfect way to coincide with Roy being released as DLC for Smash 4.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman

I could have sworn at some point I said that I thought Roy might be shown off after the SMTxFE trailer. However, I might not have ever voiced this idea too. Regardless, @ Ura Ura , you and I often share the same thougths, or at least thats what I can gather. Great minds think alike.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, some time ago a higher-up at IS did state he'd like to see Roy's game remade, especially since Roy would properly get introduced in the West. The interest is out there... I feel like if we do get Roy, a FE6 remake (maybe combined with FE7 as well) has a good chance of being green-lit down the road (assuming no such game is already in the works).

Last edited:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Well, some time ago a higher-up at IS did state he'd like to see Roy's game remade, especially since Roy would properly get introduced in the West. The interest is out there... I feel like if we do get Roy, a FE6 remake (maybe combined with FE7 as well) has a good chance of being green-lit down the road (assuming no such game is already in the works).
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Roy originally introduced in smash prior to the release of his actual game as a marketing move? If they released Roy for smash as a set up for a FE6 remake just as they did with the original title, it would be amazingly ironic...

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Roy originally introduced in smash prior to the release of his actual game as a marketing move? If they released Roy for smash as a set up for a FE6 remake just as they did with the original title, it would be amazingly ironic...
I'd call it appropriate, not ironic.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well if they declone him well enough in this game, I think it would be fair to say that he would have his spot secured in future Smash games. More so than characters like Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina.

As for him "promoting his game like he did in Melee", his reveal would be before the game and it wouldn't only focus on him so detractors can't use that as their argument again.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
FE6 would really benefit from a remake, there are a lot of changes the game could benefit from. Mostly to actually make Roy a decent unit...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
And then watch Sakurai & team get a special thanks in the FE6 remake credits (again)...

except "Smash Bros. Melee" would be "Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom