• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Lets change up the discussion here a little bit. Who is everyone's Fire Emblem crush in this thread? For me, it's Eirika from Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones by a longshot. Lyn is a runner up though.
I married Nowi in my first play through of Awakening (Cause dragons are awesome and I like the Eliwood/Ninian pairing which makes Roy quarter-Manakete.) I really need to play Awakening again...

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Don't forget how fabulous Marth is!

Gotta love smash bros. canon

But yeah, wonder how'd they portray Roy. The fighters seem more expressive this time around, which is a nice detail. I'd honestly be fine if Roy's given an English VA (though I'm not really expecting it), as long in the Japanese version Jun Fukuyama still voices Roy.
I think Roy would have a cocky and daring attitude, fitting for a rushdown character, as well as a contrast to Marth's cool and collected (and gracefully fabulous) way of being.

I can imagine him having one heck of a sassy smirk on his face.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I think Roy would have a cocky and daring attitude, fitting for a rushdown character, as well as a contrast to Marth's cool and collected (and gracefully fabulous) way of being.

I can imagine him having one heck of a sassy smirk on his face.
Which is funny since it contrasts Roy's actual character.

Roy's a young, kind, pure-hearted and gentle soul, and his fighting style is one of the most aggressive and unsafe ones I've seen.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Which is funny since it contrast's Roy's actual character.

Roy's a young, kind, pure-hearted and gentle soul, and his fighting style is one of the most aggressive and unsafe ones I've seen.
I still view Roy as being somewhat arrogant, though.

I blame Awkward Zombie for that.

Troykv

Smash Master

Is curious... Nice Boy, aggresive warrior.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Na, Roy Koopa doesn't have jack on Roy-sama-sensei-senpai.

Lets change up the discussion here a little bit. Who is everyone's Fire Emblem crush in this thread? For me, it's Eirika from Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones by a longshot. Lyn is a runner up though.

:231:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
If we're talking crushes (Well, I guess for me it'd be a squish and not a crush), hands down all of my feels go to Lucina. I don't even care how stupid it sounds, rofl.
But if not Lucina, then Seth from FE8. I dunno why. It's probably the hair.

When I was like 10 I had the biggest thing for Roy, I thought he was the cutest thing since Rockman EXE. Lmfao. But I'm not 10 anymore.
He's still super adorable though-- I want to squish his face. His Awakening redesign made him look like 18 or something, though....... ghhhghhhahh I don't know what to feel anymore!

On the topic of Roy's personality, though, I wouldn't like him to be an arrogant hothead. I like that he's a kind, thoughtful young man.
But we could always add a little bit of t3h ph1r3 into his battle personality. I could see himself getting lost in the fun of smashing with other bros.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
"Roy's our Boy" seems to just fit better with Roy if he's a kind, young man rather than a hotheaded one. And I'd take "Roy's our Boy" over everything...
As for FE crushes, I have none. I mean, I like the characters but not that much :p

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

It's always the nice, gentle ones that can be the most aggressive and combative, huh?

Seriously though, I remember I made a joke post sometime ago about what kind of personality Roy could have in Smash. It was something along the lines of giving him a deadpan portrayal with a monotone voice because everyone's always like "OMG Roy's so boring and he has no personality!!". Hue.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
It's always the nice, gentle ones that can be the most aggressive and combative, huh?

Seriously though, I remember I made a joke post sometime ago about what kind of personality Roy could have in Smash. It was something along the lines of giving him a deadpan portrayal with a monotone voice because everyone's always like "OMG Roy's so boring and he has no personality!!". Hue.
Found the post
Y'know, Smash does give some characters different personas than what's seen in their source games. They can easily do whatever they want with Roy's character. Really, Roy can become anything...anything...anything...

ib4he'sboring

To which Sakurai's mentality would probably be something like...

Sakurai: We wanted to give the players a more rich and familiar experience with the fighters. So, we've given some of the characters personalities that is prominent in their games. As you can see, we've made Roy dull and boring! *laughs*

To further emphasize, Roy is given a monotone voice. Sound effects such as pain grunts, like "ouch!", and phrases, like battle cries, all sound monotonous. For example, a victory should be a happy and triumphant moment. However, during Roy's victory animation, he says generic lines, all in a lifeless voice. As such, you cannot tell if he's really happy or just bored!

Roy's appearance has changed as well. His facial expression is an emotionless, straight look that is stays throughout the whole game. Even when hurt or taunting, Roy still keeps an emotionless expression. Roy also has more "droopy" looking eyes, and doesn't smile, not even once.

To get an example of the expression:

However, with more "tired" or "droopy" looking eyes.

Roy also has a costume that reflects in his character very well:

Don't you think Roy looks ready to conquer all of Elibe and turn it into a dull, boring corporate city? *laughs*

We've felt that if we gave Roy a spunky personality (due to his child-like looks), or gave him a more hot-headed personality, it wouldn't have been be a good representation for Roy. We feel that a dull personality creates a more intriguing experience, don't you think so as well?

In other words, we made Roy essentially a deadpan. *laughs*

Iwata: Please understand.

Ironically, being a deadpan might make Roy stand out among the rest of the cast, if it's that extreme, though.

Idk...boredom...

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I do hate Roy's character in Fire Emblem 6, but I admit there is a character. Roy can be pretty smart especially since he was able to peg the identity of Elphin. Roy can be pretty levelheaded in the face of dangerous situations and he's more down-to-earth than his dad. However, Roy is still 15 and his Smash fighting style is very flashy.

So, I think of Roy as a bit childish, relaxed, appears carefree, but is competent and knows when to be serious.

And I don't really consider Roy to be pure-hearted. That is not to say he isn't a good person (after all Ike isn't pure-hearted), but there's something about Roy that doesn't give me the same vibe as Eliwood, Lilina, and Mist (Tellius, but I think it's an appropriate comparison).

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Found the post
Lol I remember making that post when I was fed-up with people using the "Roy's too boring/bland!" argument against his inclusion. I mean if you've played the game and read the support convos and such, Roy does have something

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I do hate Roy's character in Fire Emblem 6, but I admit there is a character. Roy can be pretty smart especially since he was able to peg the identity of Elphin. Roy can be pretty levelheaded in the face of dangerous situations and he's more down-to-earth than his dad. However, Roy is still 15 and his Smash fighting style is very flashy.

So, I think of Roy as a bit childish, relaxed, appears carefree, but is competent and knows when to be serious.

And I don't really consider Roy to be pure-hearted. That is not to say he isn't a good person (after all Ike isn't pure-hearted), but there's something about Roy that doesn't give me the same vibe as Eliwood, Lilina, and Mist (Tellius, but I think it's an appropriate comparison).
Could the fact that the translation was done by amateurs (no offense to them, they did a great job) play a part in it?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
i said this elsewhere but roy's emoticon tag must be :4feroy: since :4roy: stole the original

he will have revengeance

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
i said this elsewhere but roy's emoticon tag must be :4feroy: since :4roy: stole the original

he will have revengeance
Better yet, replace :4roy:'s emoticon code to Roy's and make Roy Koopa :4koopa: or something.
That way, every post made so far with :4roy: will be changed to FE Roy's. Sweet sweet karma:roypm:

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Better yet, replace :4roy:'s emoticon code to Roy's and make Roy Koopa :4koopa: or something.
That way, every post made so far with :4roy: will be changed to FE Roy's. Sweet sweet karma:roypm:
Maybe :4rkoopa: for the impostor while we do make Roy's icon replace... Roy's icon. Mwahahah.

And, it's nice to see us all so delightfully delightful and conversating.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Shame on you, the only one who's worthy of that post is none other than King Harkinian. At least he forces you to scrub all the floors in Hyrule or used the powerful Dinner Blaster. :troll:
Morshu should be in too. His moveset would utilize all the lamp oil, rope, and BOMBS that he provides. Just be sure you have rupees on you though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On Roy's personality portrayal in Sm4sh, I think what they went with Melee is still really cool, though they could use polishing it up. He seemed quite vigorous and even if brash, which might make him easily labeled as a hotheaded guy. (Because hotheaded isn't what you'd describe him)

Maybe as to reflect his age and intellect at the same time, make him again vigorous and serious in his fights, but sprinkle more "youth" on his expressions than other FE-characters. He'd have more distress that'd make you go "aww, poor bby" and when he unleashes more stronger moves, it's like he puts everything to it in more vivid expressions that Marth or Ike would.

Shortly, go for him looking like he's burning in vigor, but in a way that it's in his control, like what you'd expect from most Fire Emblem's lords - but make it more pronounced than other FE-characters It just makes him look absolutely badass. Embarrass

Add in some expressions reflecting his youth and there's the Roy we know and what many kids might grow to love due being the same cool phier swordsman like we did in Melee's glory days. That being his youth bringing in his big heart and soul brimming in vitality from those days.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
I actually wouldn't mind Roy coming back. I think he's definitely an awesome addition to the roster and i'm hoping that the leak is real. I've always preferred him to Marth in melee and i hope he makes a return with an entirely new move set!

I would say Roy is my second "more preferred character" after Isaac. Add me in as a supporter =D

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Na, Roy Koopa doesn't have jack on Roy-sama-sensei-senpai.

Crush? Uhh...can I have a harem? No? Ugh...

My first Awakening play through as a female(I am a female irl after all), I married Chrom, so I guess you could say him...HOWEVER. As I played through as a male, I married Olivia, Lissa, and Cordelia...
In my current play though as a female, I married Henry, but then there is also Gaius, Lon'qu and Stahl...

In terms of proper OMGIWUVHIMHESOHAWT...I'mma go with Marth. Like jeez. Dem eyes.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Crush? Uhh...can I have a harem? No? Ugh...

My first Awakening play through as a female(I am a female irl after all), I married Chrom, so I guess you could say him...HOWEVER. As I played through as a male, I married Olivia, Lissa, and Cordelia...
In my current play though as a female, I married Henry, but then there is also Gaius, Lon'qu and Stahl...

In terms of proper OMGIWUVHIMHESOHAWT...I'mma go with Marth. Like jeez. Dem eyes.
One cannot resist the fabulousness of Marth...

I cannot really answer the whole "crush" question because I have no idea. : D

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget, you're not just playing as Roy, you're playing as Roy with the sword of seals. That means Roy has been promoted to Great Lord, and has to get as much experience as possible to make the most of his new levels before the end game. Roy's just doing what most players do during the end game- experience farming.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Wait, wasn't Marth's only difference between his Shadow Dragon design just the sword?
Come to think of it, one thing we know for sure is that Roy would have the sword of seals. If he goes with his Awakening design which originally had no SoS but this time in Smash he would, that would perfectly mirror Marth's design mentality.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Wait, wasn't Marth's only difference between his Shadow Dragon design just the sword?
Come to think of it, one thing we know for sure is that Roy would have the sword of seals. If he goes with his Awakening design which originally had no SoS but this time in Smash he would, that would perfectly mirror Marth's design mentality.
Yep. They changed his design to reflect that game, but still kept the classic Falchion design that he's had since Melee (going by his appearances in Smash Bros of course)...

I hope that is what they do with Royster... Awakening design + SoS would be glooooorious... Especially with a blue costume...

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman

Does anyone else think that red haired guy on the right could be Roy and to his left is Marth?

For those unfamiliar, this is art for Shin Megami Tensai X Fire Emblem

MewKwota

Smash Rookie

Does anyone else think that red haired guy on the right could be Roy and to his left is Marth?

For those unfamiliar, this is art for Shin Megami Tensai X Fire Emblem
From what I've come across reading from what other sites have uncovered, those guys are completely new characters with competely different names. (They're Japanese, like Itsuki Ao the blue-haired and then the other guy, but I'm too lazy to go look 'em up to say, eheh!) But whatever case, I've heard some rumors/speculation that maybe SMTxFE may utilize some sort of costume-bearing thing where maybe the main characters could don the attire of some FE character and gain their powers or something. Possibly then, the blue-haired guy could have some Marth-based thing while the redhead's got Roy?

Though I'm not sure of the latter, some shots show him demonstrating a fighting style like a cavalier.
We could probably hope to see Roy somewhere, hm?

On note of the thread, since I'm new here, I'd gladly lend my manifestation of support to having dear Roy back.
Hopefully, as many have already stated, they can somehow declone or at least Luigify him a teense.
I'm here for his character, not for the talk of "his stats/gimmicks/cloneliness is ewwy".

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I think the guy is a reference to Cain the Cavalier
Now that you mention it, there are some physical similarities
(picture of Cain for comparison)

But honestly this can also be chalked up to anime characters looking so similar.

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
@ ferioku ferioku -- hey it's nice to see you here! It's been a while... I need to go check the Isaac thread. I haven't gotten any notifications for it in a long time. ;-;

I think the redhead in SMT x FE, if he IS a FE character, is Cain. He looks so much like Cain. But I think they're all original characters? That's what I read, anyway.
The main character looks like Marth and Jude (from Tales of Xillia) did a FUUUSION HAH. Which is cool and I have 0 problems with that, rofl.

I vote for this option. Can we have this option? We should have this option. t3h ph1r3 would take over all of Smashboards, one Koopa face at a time.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On note of the thread, since I'm new here, I'd gladly lend my manifestation of support to having dear Roy back.
Hopefully, as many have already stated, they can somehow declone or at least Luigify him a teense.
I'm here for his character, not for the talk of "his stats/gimmicks/cloneliness is ewwy".
Yoo!

So are all of we here- I think I established it before that Roy is easily dismissed due all the above you mentioned and is still talked that way in other threads. I can see into what they mean, except the stats-argument which is nonsensical and very ignorant of what truly constitutes as choices for Smash Bros to have it's characters chosen- even then most could be possibly remedied by semi-cloning and like.
Nevertheless, welcome!

I vote for this option. Can we have this option? We should have this option. t3h ph1r3 would take over all of Smashboards, one Koopa face at a time.

L3t t3h ph1r3 c0n5um3 3v3ry7h1ng

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

he will have revengeance
I like :4feroy:

And also, I think there was some discussion before about Roy's picture at the top of this site. Its based on his PM self, but if he gets in, would they upgrade it to his official Smash 4 render? I mean, Sheik, Falcon, etc., are all based on their Smash 4 artworks, I wonder.

I do believe that redhead in SMT x FE is an original character, potentially referencing Cain and the Cavalier class based on what he is riding (modern interpretation of Cavaliers). Check out GameXplain's analysis of the trailer if you haven't already:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Could the fact that the translation was done by amateurs (no offense to them, they did a great job) play a part in it?
I don't they played a significant part in distorting what Roy's character is. It's fact that Roy is able to peg the identity of a missing prince by himself. It's also fact that he reacts to sudden news calmly and responds with his own tactics. Roy has to appear calm and collected. He's a 15 year old, inexperienced boy leading the Etruian Army which is composed of many, many generals and other soldiers who have more experience and proven leadership capabilities. Roy's authority as a leader would not be respected if he wasn't calm and collected as Fire Emblem 6 depicted him.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And yet all people can think about is "stats this stats that".

I honestly despise those kind of FE fans. They can't bother to think strategically and want their OHKO monsters to clear the map for them and yet they claim to be the "true FE fans". True FE fans my a**

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Boy, i do hope Roy gets some new moves to make him stand out more, to think of it, the surviving former clones from Melee, Falco and Ganondorf can be considered semi-clones now. (well, except Dr Mario, but he's the same person as Mario)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As much as DLC as possible? I think we might end up getting the 8-9 characters that people thought wouldn't happen before...

- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Ryu
- Roy
- Wolf
- Isaac
- Ice Climbers (granted theirs a solution to their problem)
- Solid Snake
- K. Rool

All aboard the hype train ladies and gents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom