• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

WIGI

Smash Champion
yes. i do it all the time. ask chic. i do it too much after a dthrow. worked for the first few matches. then he DI-ed it and fsmashed me. i need to mix it up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, what I'm asking is if Luigi slides further depending on the timing of his Hyphen Smash.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
What? If we had to pick three, the only viable ones are passive-aggresive, amaterish aggresive (a la SHADANAUT), and a defensive style. The first one is aggressive spacing essentially, the second one is just running in there thinking that Luigi can combo anyone, and the third one is hit and run, fireball and retreat, jab grab to quick throw than reset.

those are like the only general styles I can think off, based on how I play, used to play, and how I see others play. I suppose you have "streetfighter" and all those shenanigans but didn't you write the thread on that Hippie?
It doesn't have to be 3, but like it's straight up obvious aggressive and camping are 2 already lol. But l'm just assuming 1 more because, idk special properties to luigi? LOL idk.

Also there's 2 kinds of aggressive, just like you stated, but like the passive-aggressive is basically M2K aggressive ( lol real name? ) is basically what you just said, just aggro but safe at same time. and idk with amaterish, i dont think in high level play that'll survive unless the person is dumb and doesn't DI at all lmfao.

But other then that, since u said defensive style is hit and run somewhat, will that mean fireball to tornado will be hit and run as in like you just poke the opponent with tornado and end up like other side of the stage or no? >_>

And yeah l do have a thread on that but like, it's pretty hella old, and our meta-game pretty much changed to very least and l don't like referring to my own threads/work because l like to hear the voices of others then listen to my dumb theorycrafting >_>

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
im getting my braces off tomorrow, im literally boning every chick in my school.

i'll give sloppy seconds to anyone who wants 'em, just post here.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
and us Australians will lol because everyone will be fighting each other, but no one gives a **** about us so we'll be left alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

Australia is just chillin.

France was just unlucky enough to be pretty much next to Germany when they unveiled the new war tactic blitzkrieg when we were all still thinking of trench warfare
JOHNS! France has been surrendering to the germans as far back as the franco-prussian war.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Firstly, I started the whole Texas is seceding because it was on my mind. And this whole Texan smashers being the best started because I said Texas is only seceding so they can call themselves the best smashers in the country. >_> Share the blame, Hippie.

A2ZOMG, I clicked on the video first and was like, "WTFudge? That's just a DACUS. This ain't no new AT." Then I read the video poster was you and was like, "WTFudge? A2ZOMG already knows the DACUS isn't a new AT and he should know that's a DACUS and not a Hyphen Smash." Then I read the post where you posted the link and realized the discovery you were talking about was about the timing of the "hyphen smash" and it all made more sense. A2ZOMG... what you have in that video appears to be a DACUS, not a Hyphen Smash. Any character with a faster (horizontal speed) dash attack than his horizontal running speed will have a longer DACUS distance than Hyphen Smash distance. Luigi's dash attack is the suck, and so his DACUS isn't that great to begin with... so I imagine this doesn't apply well to Luigi.

But you should test it to be sure (with a Hyphen Smash this time).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, it's definitely a Hyphen Smash.

The input I had was Dash, C stick UP, Z (charge U-smash).

Mario slides really far on his Hyphen Smash when timed right. So my question is if there is any noteable discrepancy on Luigi's sliding depending on what point in his dash you charge U-smash.

From my testing I did just recently however, I really can't tell much difference. He slides too far as it is anyway lmao.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Jeez, you're one C-stick tilt down from doing a DACUS. Anyway, I Hyphen Smash like no other (in that I spam it consistently) so I consider myself an authority when it comes to the Hyphen Smash. Now I haven't played in a good long while, but I remember the HS from a stand-still will make Luigi travel the length of Final D in 4.2 hyphen smashes (from a stand-still). Since we have no other way of measuring, I'll call this this distance 0.24FD (a bit less than a fourth of the length of FD).

If your version's Hyphen Smash travels farther than 0.24FD then you have successfully shown that the end of the initial dash is the best time to Hyphen Smash. With that said, I believe it's more often more important to start the HS quicker than it is to get more distance. It's why the Reverse Hyphen Smash hasn't replaced the regular HS even thought it has more reach.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Heyyyyy
Start pivot walking to get a slide boost, then start boosting that slide boost with the crawl run thing.
Seriously, you guys have more control over your pivot walk than anyone because you can instantly crawl out of it an change your sliding momentum.
Its like Luigi got his wavedash back.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Well I'm not even sure if I understand your instructions. I wouldn't even know if I'm doing it right unless I see how it looks when it's done correctly. Not only that, you're asking for a pretty complex set of ATs. I mean, I have to set my C-Stick to Tilts to pivot walk, then pull off a crawldash in the middle of a pivot walk. How much of a boost can you get anyway if Luigi's pivot walk isn't faster than his regular walk?

I wouldn't want to spend all that work on just a mediocre slide that I expect. You say you can slide nearly 0.5FD with an fSmash but that sounds dubious.

Now, if you said pivotwalk-crawldashing could allow you to crawldash in the direction you were walking in, then you might be on to something. But videos or it never happened.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You don't have to set it to tilts, it can still be on smash.
What makes Luigi's pivot walk good isn't the speed, but the slide he gets, and this slide can be further boosted and direction changed by craw dashing and from there you can perform any attack with a large amount of slide, increasing the range of your smashes by making them moving hitboxes.
Without the boost from crawl dashing, you can still do a forward smash, either retreating or approaching, sliding for about 1/4th of FD.
Also, I can't make videos.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Yeah, but I find that doubtful. I mean .25FD is some serious distance for walking speed. The amount of slide Luigi gets from a crawldash is dependent on the horizontal speed he had at the time he started the crawldash. So to say he gets more crawldash distance from a pivot walk than from a regular walk sounds dubious to me.

I never liked the Crawldash to begin with, for various reasons. But if you're pivot walking right and do a crawldash as you're saying, do you mean crawldash to the right or crawldash backward to the left?

TreK

Is "that guy"
interesting, to say the least.
I'm a tricky ******* and will pick up everything possible if it makes me approach better.

edit : haha, ******* is censored

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I've been using the word bastage since 2003... I don't know why. I just felt dirty using the other word that got censored in your post, even though oddly enough I have no problem dropping f-bombs left and right.

That ****ing **** eating **** mongering ***** ***** *******. I just wanted to know what would get censored.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
OK CRASHiC, explains? I really don't know how to pivot walk, at least properly, but I can see how the momentum from the crawldash might stack with other weird sliding techs. Tell me exactly how to pivot walk and I'll go test this right now :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
Pivot walk if I recall 1) hold A during a random move (good setups are ie after a dair-ffad or a fireball I guess) 2) walk 3) c stick up and back

idk if it's boosting us, I'll test stuff in 20mn but I got work atm...

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Yars, you have to claw the controller. Or you can change one of the shoulder buttons to Attack, but pivot walking isn't worth it.... unless, of course, this Pivot Walk Crawldash AT is the bee's knees. And if it is the shiznitz, then he's gotta name it.

He still has to explain if we're supposed to crawldash in the direction of the pivot walk or not.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Either.
If you do it the opposite direction, you can completly change your momentum to make you go the other way.
The timing is so odd though, that you might cancel the slide all together.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Well I tested around with it for a while, and you can't use crawldashing to stack with the forward momentum from the pivot walk. Basically all its good for is letting you accelerate your walk slightly faster so you can get the full slide from the crawldash.

Meh.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I use the b reversal out of run.
Or just go Atomsk style, as in WAH! WAH! WAH! WAH!
Combine Atomsk with slide out of pivot walk and crawl dash, and you got a pretty great field coverage.
Down B is also good for get aways.

Oh, and guys, I'm pretty sure you can use the slide out of pivot walk to make luigi's fireballs to lock all the way across the field.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I've actually given two non-premium friends name changes. All you hafta do is use one of your own name changes, PM Azua with whose name you want changed and what to, and show her proof that the person wants a name change. :D
CRRAAAAAASH did you know I loved you ? /random

I still can't pay with US$, and still hate being called Teneban instead of ¤TreK ._.
Heeeeelp meeee pleeeease .___.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok guys bare with me for a bit here but its noob question time, and although this really should belong in the Q&A thread, I thought I'd post it here since we're on the topic but

1. what exactly is a hyphen smash, and how is it different from a running smash or a DACUS?
2. how do you preform a hyphen smash, and how do you do a reverse hyphen smash?
Seriously, you guys get a forward smash that slides almost half of final destination.
can you really do this?

im getting my braces off tomorrow, im literally boning every chick in my school.

even the ugly ones? now thats commitment my friend.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
To answer the simple questions.

1. what exactly is a hyphen smash, and how is it different from a running smash or a DACUS?

Hyphen smash is just a charged running smash. Cstick up, hold z. You slide.

2. how do you preform a hyphen smash, and how do you do a reverse hyphen smash?

To reverse hyphen smash you have to pivot your run then jump cancel (hit jump) before you cstick up then z. Timing is similar to a snakedash. You have to do this from a full dash.

For future reference we have an "official q&a thread", so questions like this really should be asked there.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Questons...
  1. Hyphen Smash = Dash -> Up + Hold A
    NOTE: The Hyphen Smash can be done from a stand-still without the need to actually dash.
  2. Reverse Hyphen Smash with Tap-Jump On = Dash -> Pivot -> Up + Hold A
    Reverse Hyphen Smash with Tap-Jump Off = Dash -> Pivot -> Jump + Up + Hold A
    NOTE: The RHS cannot be done from a standstill, you must be in a full dash to perform it.
  3. I highly doubt that. I'm requesting video proof because it sounds far-fetched.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
so nice and quick then? thanks guys and crash I know about the Q&A thread (I even said so in my post) so I dont really have any excuse other then we were currently talking about hyphen smashing, so I'm sorry :(

anyways, weegie boards are great I love you guys.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
Shocking News!!!!! :(

Hey Guys, I hope you guys are still Loving Luigi still. But I need to say something. I quit SMASHBROS!!!!!! The Reason for this is because that I am not really interested about the game anymore :(. That is also the reason why that I dont update my tourney thread everyday or something. BUT, I will intend to update my tourney thread seeing how I make the thread or can someone take over it??? Sorry to let you down guys. :(

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol no worries Rev.. l call shots Elheber will do it because he makes formats so pretty colorful looking =DD

@ luke, l'm pretty sure we had a thread on that SOMEWHERe l think elheber made taht one too with the 2 differences.. gotta dig that up..

in other news.. aggressive camping luigi is sick combined with being calm and being lulzy with mindgames.

man i love using jab then seeing the nervousness of a player and seeing their habit pattern <3 (m4ge<333)

Top Bottom