• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

jd00824

Smash Rookie
As soon as I quit playing horrendously, I'll be there.......I need a lot of practice.......I just need to go to tourneys period

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
But...your not a Lucas main Dx...
it says so on your icon thingy :o.
I mean, I would but I am going to try to get my crew into this.
I do main Lucas D:
I use Lucario only a little more then Lucas :3

Well I did only use Lucario but I was inspired from a friend and I just started looking up Lucas.
Look at me sig :3

I also went Lucas more then Lucario at my 1st major :D

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
I do main Lucas D:
I use Lucario only a little more then Lucas :3

Well I did only use Lucario but I was inspired from a friend and I just started looking up Lucas.
Look at me sig :3

I also went Lucas more then Lucario at my 1st major :D
hmmm...alright, fair enough.

jd00824

Smash Rookie
So I don't mean to sound totally dumb, but.......I have three style of controllers (wii+nunchuk, gamecube, and classic) .....and I kinda prefer the nunchuk......IDK just grown fond of it. I really don't C-stick that much on the gamecube cause I can just as easily wavebounce my pk fire on default........is that bad or what lol?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
i think u need the c-stick for proper SDI, due to its input being: direction + 'a'
and there are certain things you cant do without B-sticking or C-bouncing im pretty sure.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
I tried going on wifi today and there was like a full second of input lag. I don't know how people do it. :C

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
I've been playing wifi since late 08, so I'm used to the input delay as long as there's no actual lag in the match. All of my button inputs are precise so when there's lag there's usually some of my inputs that get skipped and I wind up just sitting there with nothing coming out then I get punished. But yeah if you've never played wifi before just the small bit of input delay even without the lag will throw you off a ton

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably try it out a bit more over the summer, since the only people I play regularly are currently a few hundred miles away, but I don't know if I have the patience to stick with it. My gameplay isn't that technical since I haven't been playing for very long, but I wasn't even able to buffer dashing, so there's a lot I have to get used to. D:

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I've never played a legit lucario but the matchup can't be too bad from my experience; i've played a few bad ones.

Sonic? Hard to say. Probably +1 for sonic.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
I find Sonic annoying at times...as for lucario eh.
these are the only two match up that I am not familiar with quite honestly :/.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
OKAY guys i'm really tired so i'll post a link to what I said on the ness boards BUUUUT basically I got those videos uploaded! the ness post has them and i'll link you to that in a sec. Basically just remember that some videos are ness videos, feel free to watch them if you want. I know i have those bad rolling habits but yeah... The ness post explains the rest and oh man I am so tired. Here you all go ^_^

Ness post with links to videos

Have fun! ^^

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Against Sonic you have to play extremely patiently. Fall into any habits and Sonics will pick up on that faster than you could believe. Sonic players generally play him by manuevering around you and picking up on how you react to his movements. If there's a noticeable hole in your playstyle that Sonic can tear away at, he'll do it. That's why it's best not to use any attacks unless you know they'll hit against Sonic (not saying it's not a bad idea against everyone else, but Sonic is the most important). Sonic can't really get kills onstage except for Fsmash and Bair. Bair might be a little stale and Fsmash will be either telegraphed or relatively easy to react to. On the other hand, you can't really kill Sonic unless he messes up. So like I said before, stay patient and play on reaction. Don't get frustrated because he's hard to hit or because you fell into a habit that you barely even notice but that he notices right off the bat and starts punishing accordingly. Getting frustrated and picking up habits while playing a Sonic is like feeding a troll; it makes you look stupid while he just kinda dances around you with his trollish grin.

Offstage, Sonic has the tools to gimp Lucas relatively well, or at least the tools do some kind of damage to him that puts him in an even worse position. If you try to Zap Jump to recover, Sonic can use his Spring to gain your vertical height and might be able to punish if the Zap Jump was predicted. Don't try to Magnet Pull after your Zap Jump against him because he'll definately be able to punish you because Magnet itself is pretty laggy and he can easily use an aerial to hit you out of it after his Spring. If you have to Zair or PKT to recover, he can Dair and it'll push you farther away from the stage, or it'll push you up a bit. He can use homing attack to push you back farther away from the stage if you're stuck trying to aim PKT at yourself. He can even Bair your PKT before it hits you and cancel it, and that's not a hard job at all for Sonic to manage.

Gimping him, on the other hand, is really, really hard for us. We could shoot a PK Fire at him while he's falling offstage or Spin Dashing back onstage. PKT is generally useless against Sonic offstage unless he's forced to Spring to recover, and even then there's better punishing options than PKT. Spin Dash eats PKT and leaves you wide open for a punish. He can jump out of Spin Dash if he's using it while he still has his double jump (which is when most Sonics recover with it) so he'll be too high for us to punish when he's above the stage. Then he still has his Spring and another Spin Dash, airdodge, fastfall aerial, just a whole bunch of options. Generally what I do is if I hit their Spin Dash after double Jump with a PK Fire, they lose that double jump and are forced to recover with Spring. If they Spring recover kinda far away from the stage and have to grab the ledge, throw out a grab. They HAVE to grab the ledge or else they'll die, and if you grab them and air release them out of spring they die. If they airdodge they die too. If they recover close to the stage, like right next to the ledge, they'll most likely airdodge so they don't get grabbed. That's when you charge Up Smash so it'll come out at the end of their airdodge. This works on a lot of Sonics the very first time you do it, but then they pick up on that and they find different recovery options out of Spring (wall jumping from the ledge to the stage on FD, throwing out an aerial while you're by the ledge, etc.) You could also Bair spike his Spring recovery, but again that's generally a first-time-only kind of deal.

So yeah, stay patient. Don't fall into habits and he won't have anything to pick up on. Punish on reaction and not throwing out moves. Powershield spin dash approaches. That's about it.

Oh yeah, and I don't believe in matchup ratios so you'll never see me give any

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, for me it will be hard to time when I need to use Bair if a sonic uses his spring. If they use the spring far away from the stage, couldn't you jump off, use snake to grab ledge and as they get close just pull yourself in so they can't hit you while you're in invincibility frames? Or are we assuming they'll get back on stage? My mind keeps conjuring up Smashville here...

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
It's frustrating when every argument on these boards boils down to people thinking I keep yelling at them, but they still don't agree with me!

I'm sort of a total scrub, so I can't really put forth any reliable claims about the game.... so I tend to just stick to pointing out where I think someone's reasoning is flawed. To try and make the actual conversation that's happening.... be a conversation.

But that usually doesn't happen. I guess most of you in here that have been around for a while probably know that, though. D:

But that won't stop me from lurking those Metagame discussion threads, I guess....

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well the thing is, some people get very defensive about their beliefs and it transfers in to their argument. You usually just end up waiting to see whether the stick snaps or not for one of them, but unfortunately it usually doesn't so I just wait it out and/or put forward a different topic for people to follow if they so wish, and the people who want to discuss the current argument can do so too.

I guess I just want to be a peacekeeper :laugh: *scratches back of head embarrassingly*

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Idunno Jimmy, I think you've been making some pretty valid arguments from what I've seen so far, so you keep doing what you're doing! I'm all for a good debate about something I'm really passionate about; I usually stick to my opinion throughout the argument but about 75% of the time the other person gives me a different perspective on the topic which is always good. So yeah for an "inexperienced" person, you've been making very thorough and solid points.

@Luco You can time a Bair spike with Sonic's spring if he's doing it right next to the stage. But yeah I was assuming they would make it back to the stage. If they won't make it back but could hit the ledge, yeah you could always just edgehog them or grab them, either one works.

jd00824

Smash Rookie
Luco:

Just wanted to say good stuff on the vids my friend........next time beat the stuffing out of that Pit cause he was starting to tick me off with all those arrows lol

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
lol if you can't beat him anytime soon Luco I'll take him out of brackets with my lucas for you :)

or maybe Lucario, whoever I feel like using aaaajajajajaajjjajajaajajaja

Do you Bstick Luco?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hang on, is Bsticking when you use one of the controllers for your specials? In that case, no, the wiichuck doesn't really allow it haha.

As for pit, invisi is one of my old rivals. I beat him the first time i met him, but I haven't won against his pit with my lucas since then. I'm practicing though, and i'm hoping to take the win next time. :-D

Btw, he also uses Ice climbers and does chain grabs as well, so no luck there. I can beat his secondaries (ICs, jiggs) but as I said I can't get pit yet. He's very mind-gamey with his arrows but he has been since I first met him, it's the rest of it that makes him tough. :-)

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hang on, is Bsticking when you use one of the controllers for your specials? In that case, no, the wiichuck doesn't really allow it haha.

As for pit, invisi is one of my old rivals. I beat him the first time i met him, but I haven't won against his pit with my lucas since then. I'm practicing though, and i'm hoping to take the win next time. :-D

Btw, he also uses Ice climbers and does chain grabs as well, so no luck there. I can beat his secondaries (ICs, jiggs) but as I said I can't get pit yet. He's very mind-gamey with his arrows but he has been since I first met him, it's the rest of it that makes him tough. :-)
lol IC's I NEVER face them with Lucas, I just use Lucario and spam the **** out of Fsmash/DSmash and aura's sphere try to not get grabbed, I will always try to counter pick RC because it is a scrolling stage and it always keeps you moving so even if I do get chain grabed it will not last for long, and as for the ship I will camp until you go on the platforms. The stage hurts Lucario but hurts the IC's even more I'm pretty sure.

If RC gets banned then I try to counter pick a stage with Platforms.

And yes Luco you change the C-stick to specials.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
So at the tournament this past weekend I had m2k in my pools/qualifier round. Lost to him but beat the two other guys. Then in bracket first round I played dabuz, had two close matches with him but ultimately lost. Then I faced Problem (snake main) and lost to him. He 2-0'd me but that set was extremely close. Both games came down to last hit, me around 200% and him around 180%. But I should probably tell u guys I went wario against dabuz and problem.. but I used Lucas against everyone else and won with him. Lolz. Placed 25th of 58.. not bad for a year long break.

Btw, I played m2k on the livestream.. did any of u guys catch it by chance? I kinda wanna watch the set.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
I would've watched it but I was at a local so I couldn'ttt, was Ghost there too? He asked if I saw him play on the tourney stream so I'm wondering if that was the same tourney you were at

Also tough getting M2K and dabuz so early

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
Idunno Jimmy, I think you've been making some pretty valid arguments from what I've seen so far, so you keep doing what you're doing! I'm all for a good debate about something I'm really passionate about; I usually stick to my opinion throughout the argument but about 75% of the time the other person gives me a different perspective on the topic which is always good. So yeah for an "inexperienced" person, you've been making very thorough and solid points.

Anyway, played more wifi today with a friend. One on one is a lot easier to get used to, but recovering with PKT2 is, like, absurdly difficult on wifi. :C

I think I'll try going to the AiB ladder sometime soon. Even if I can't get too used to wifi, I can at least get practice trying to read and stuff. I really only know one person's habits since I only play one person regularly, so anything helps, I suppose.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Yeah 1v1's a lot faster to get used to than 2v2 online because 2v2s generally naturally tend to carry with them more lag due to there being 4 different connections. There's also like a really bad lag that lasts for about 15 seconds of most 2v2s to I guess control the lag for the rest of the match. But yeah AiB ladder sounds like a good idea to start off with as far as playing more people, just expect to have to adjust to different connections every 2-3 games.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
Last stock game two was pretty ****ing cool, not gonna lie. I also like how everyone goes crazy for magnet pulling and zap jumping. .-.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
You started both off really really solidly. Game 1 the sd sucked so badly, you were keeping up with M2K really well but once he got the stock lead it was just difficult for you to catch up. Same with Game 2, it was just really hard for you to come back. Both were still really good efforts though, and I liked how well you were punishing him for approaching with Nado.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, I have a question about how to do some stuff. ._.

I can't get my magnet pulls to get too much distance or speed. I've seen a lot of the higher level players here in videos that can just shoot forward with seemingly very little momentum (specifically FAE, those combo videos are friggin' cray cray), so I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for that?

Top Bottom