• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Why bother with a mixture of japanese names when 'Lucario' combines both english names fine? :3

But nah, that's pretty cool, so is the keldeo avatar.

@Jam: It's ok, I know what you mean! ^^

Yeah the expo was in Brisbane last year, but this year... it's open to the general public! :D

EDIT: OOOOH WOW! Guys, I've been trying and trying and FINALLY i'm getting the hang of Dtilt locking! Weeeeee! It's situational atm, it's annoying because they don't seem to land on the floor in the right position with Dair until about 80-100%. Any other good ways of getting them down on the floor?

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Yea thats when i start trying to pull off the dtilt lock. The best way to get them in the % is dairing them while theyre in the air near the floor. Or try knocking them off a platform to the floor

:phone:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
At around 45-55% (im not sure) you can SH FAir an opponent just about to land, and they will most likely do that fall down animation and be viable for a DTilt lock, you just have to run abit. takes some time getting used to, as each character has different weights.
pretty sure theres a video by Hyutter on youtube showing this, called lucas techniques

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hey guys.

I don't usually stick my head around these parts, and I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the Q&A or the Social, but I'd rather just grab a few opinions on the matter over getting some flat answer of some sort.

What is the general feel of the Lucas vs. Lucario match up for you guys?
I've been considering picking Lucas up as a secondary of some sort for that match up, and I've heard several different claims about that match being close to even or slight disadvantage, so I thought I'd take a peak.

Plus, I love the hell out of the Mother series, and I just finished Mother 3 again recently, so I'm riding a Lucas-high, so to speak. :applejack:

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Hey guys.

I don't usually stick my head around these parts, and I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the Q&A or the Social, but I'd rather just grab a few opinions on the matter over getting some flat answer of some sort.

I've been considering picking Lucas up as a secondary of some sort for that match up, and I've heard several different claims about that match being close to even or slight disadvantage, so I thought I'd take a peak.

Plus, I love the hell out of the Mother series, and I just finished Mother 3 again recently, so I'm riding a Lucas-high, so to speak. :applejack:
I think I said something about this match up a few pages back.
glad that you love the mother series :p...and Mother 3 is mad fun x3.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Hey guys.

Lucas does not bad against Lucario,I must say even.

You can force Lucario´s approach with your Pk stuff,also,pivot grab is extremely useful in this MU,any error of Lucario's approach and you have the chance to do it.

He almost can´t use his projectile because of the beloved PSI Magnet.
We can force an edgeguard really easily on him,just use Pk thunder correctly and you'll see.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
If it weren't for Mother 3 I would have never chosen to secondary Lucas.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If it weren't for Mother 3 I would have never chosen to secondary Lucas.
Actually,most people choose his main/secondary because he is from a serie that he/she likes.

So this is not a surprise.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I usually choose my main because he's fun to use and he *****

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I love Lucas dittos,it's my favorite MU.

I will be happy if we play some friendlies on wi-fi next week.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
It's funny because you always said that Lucas is hopeless,but it doesn't matter,yay for good argentinian Lucases :lucas:,but knowing you,I think you'll never use him in a tourney lol
Maybe in mid/low tourneys :awesome:

D

Deleted member 189823

Don't worry, Lukini, here in Argentina we lack good variety of characters, and not to mention good players of them. There are no good DK/Sheik players here, so it's alright. And it's funny because there are tons of Lucases here, apparently.

Who knows? Maybe someday I might pull a DK and start using the ape. He sucks, but I kind of like him.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The problem with the DK MU is that infinite,without that this MU is not bad.

Also,call me Lukin.

I envy you,here in Brazil is almost impossible to use Lucas unless if it is a low tier tourney,because everyone use high tier characters...

I get critiqued a lot for using Yoshi in tourneys,but that's the life...

D

Deleted member 189823

ok sorry. 8[
Fortunate for us here, there's a major lack of MU knowledge and Top/High tiers, so it's mostly alright. No problems going in with a low tier character like Lucas if you're mostly going to face Mid tier characters...though there are alot of MKs and maybe Lucarios. Wish there were more Top/High tiers here.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Lucas v pit isnt that easy haha, pit has some gimmicks i believe like
-@ 0% fgrab>fgrab>dgrab>uair (i dunno, probably not true combo but can catch you off-guard)
-he can reflect ur PKT as you recovery, or PKT2 when you launch yo'self with his shield
-spike you with his dtilt if hes lucky as you pull up from the tether
-shoot you as you recover.
-if u are in the middle of recovering, he can use the windbox from his Up-B to push your body and mess ur recovery up.
i only know gimmicks, not spacing/moves to use. not well versed, so not sure about priority and our ground/air game verse his

also epic question, when King dedede swallows us and spits us out, can we cancel the star animation with a DJ and wavebounce a PK Magnet to hit him back?

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Yes ^ It's not reliable at all and you shouldn't try to go for it a lot. You need to time it perfectly, as in as soon as they spit you out you have to input the B-Reversed Magnet. You won't be able to react to when they spit you out fast enough, it's just too quick to react to. You have to try and predict when he'll spit you out because of course he can hold you for different amounts of time. OR you could look at their controller and see when they press B (or whatever their special button is).

But yeah if you mess up the timing it's a free followup for the DeDeDe. You'll be caught in PSI Magnet endlag and close enough for him to walking/dash grab or ftilt. So yeah, it's not really reliable because of the risk v. reward, and the risk greatly outweighs the risk because there's so little room for error. You can PSI Magnet at any time after he spits you out however, so you can use it to cancel the momentum at a safe distance.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Oh hey Mekos, got a question for you :3

Is it just me or is the Lucas vs Pit MU easy and fun, do you find it easy and fun?
haha the opposite. I find it not hard but annoying. Not fun at all. Imo the least fun matches are against opponents that are hard for us to catch or that we have to chase constantly.

The matchup isn't that bad, probably even because they have gimmicks that can mess us up off the stage.

How to beat Pit:
1. learn their shooting arrow habits. Alot of them will shoot arrows if the spacing is right. For example, many of them camp the edge and hop up and shoot an arrow. Bait this(act like you are gonna run toward them but really be ready to absorb it). This will do alot of things for the match. It will give you health and mess with the Pit players mentality. They will be off there arrow game and this is a major part of most of the pit players' strategy.

2. Make sure you master recovering against them. If you see them jump to a certain space aim your recovery around them. This requires mastery of your pk thunder.

3. When you are in kill % watch out for their kill moves. They like to use back air alot. If you see their back is turned to u, u know what they are aiming for. Adjust accordingly. This is just one example of reading your opponent. Learn character general habits and then of course also focus on the player's specific habits. Watch out for fair too, but most of the time if you have survived to a high % this is stale. They like to use this move alot (see number 4).

4. Master how to beat them once u get inside. Pit has some quick moves. His down smash or forward smash are very fast. They like to spam these moves right when they land and are close to u. Bait this and punish accordingly. They also like their uptilt. This move baited can lead to a free dair. Dair gives heavy % and can lead to a potential jab lock.

Top Bottom