• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Just had it click. Setting L to jump would let my right hand be able to use Z and the c-stick while jumping with my left hand. Now I just gotta learn the timing

edit: omg it works. we can wavebounce zap jump with the c-stick. i FINALLY get my c-stick back.
I just tried this. I was debating whether or not to b stick and this solves everything!

I used to c stick and just manual wavebounce, with jumping set to L.
This is glorious.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I've been a Lucas main for some time now, and I'm wondering how I can really improve my Lucas.
I already know how to magnet pull, reverse magnet pull, dtilt lock, and zap jump.(Though not always with the best results... I'm still working on that one)

What habits should I be forming? Everyone tells me my Lucas is doing great, I just need to cut back on all the PKF. I adopted the name Mars, after Sailor Mars online after realizing how much I overruse that move.

tl;dr: How can I kick my Lucas up a notch? How did all you experienced Lucas players get better?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I've been a Lucas main for some time now, and I'm wondering how I can really improve my Lucas.
I already know how to magnet pull, reverse magnet pull, dtilt lock, and zap jump.(Though not always with the best results... I'm still working on that one)

What habits should I be forming? Everyone tells me my Lucas is doing great, I just need to cut back on all the PKF. I adopted the name Mars, after Sailor Mars online after realizing how much I overruse that move.

tl;dr: How can I kick my Lucas up a notch? How did all you experienced Lucas players get better?
*Wild Yink Appears*

I shouldn't be posting in this probably seeing as I don't MAIN Lucas, but I like to help.

To be honest...using PKF a lot isn't terrible. For some characters you NEED to use it a lot against. I'm not a Lucas board god but I'd say a lot of them got better with practice.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about overusing PK Fire. If you are getting consistently punished for it, then that's a different story. Being able to consistently wavebounce it helps to avoid being punished.

For me, a lot of my knowledge comes from doing, failing, and then doing better. By just playing against different characters you learn to use more of your options. If you have the capability, then you should post videos of yourself playing. I'd love to offer any advice I can give.

tl;dr Don't worry about overusing PKF unless it's getting you punished
Learn by fighting a variety of characters.
Posting vids is a good way to get feedback.

Good luck with your Lucas

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man. I don't have the capability to upload videos though...
The variety of characters isn't a problem. I'm in this Brawl clan, (many use a variety of characters) and it's really helping me improve.
I just thought I'd come here for character-specific tips.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
Happy Thanksgiving Lucas boards. : )
Hey, you're not a Lucas main... :mad:

Jk, Ness mains are cool.

*sigh*
My family's having thanksgiving tomorrow since that's the only way we can get everyone together.
But it'll still be nice.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey, you're not a Lucas main... :mad:

Jk, Ness mains are cool.

*sigh*
My family's having thanksgiving tomorrow since that's the only way we can get everyone together.
But it'll still be nice.
DON'T YOU TALK TO ME THAT WAY.

Yeah, I like to use Lucas too. So it's all good dude. ;)

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Sigh. I only have three friends to practice with who own Brawl and there aren't any tournaments here.

At all.

RPSI, I could've sworn you were living in 99 Decision Street yesterday. Move back already? Scenic view not satisfactory? :p

Same thing goes with your title.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey, rPSI.

I like your sig. ;) Also that song is awesome, there's so many versions of it though.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Double Post =)

So I've been messing around with my friends and stuff and was doing DASC stuff. So I decided to try Hyphen Smash. It ended up killing him at the edge. I knew about it for a while (from practicing with DASC on comps) , but he was like "WTF that sheild poked!?!" and I said "look where you were standing."

So I've been wondering if we can consider this to be an AT for Lucas (Because most people don't have the range and power on their up-smash to do this). What would you guys think about Hyphen Smash Sheild Canceling (HSSC) or for the vowel Hypen Edge Sheild Cancle (HESC)?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, much like the way DASC works, but then they get hit by the later hit of U-smash

lil cj

Smash Lord
Me either lol...i just made mine in paint...but i think Rocket made most of the others hats for their avatar
Rocket can u make me and Hailcrest a santa hat avatar please?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i want to hear your experience with the new configuration, it is not really working for me...

if DMG comes here: learn all variations of wavebouncing and magnet pull, double dair and play Lucas with random air movement, just like Wario

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, I already switched back to B-sticking... it's just too radical to my game.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
I LOVE the new configuration. It's really not that hard. Maybe the reason i like it so much is bc i'm an original C-sticker so barely using the Zspecial feels natural and when i do use it, it works to my advantage. idk, i guess i'm all for the new control scheme.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I already switched back to b-sticking lol. It's too much of a change to get used to, and because I use a classic controller the R button (my specials) is just hard to time with the c-stick so that they register together, because the R button is kind of, um, "thick", unlike the abxy buttons.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm thinking about using default for people that can outcamp Lucas and B-stick against people that WB is necessary for.

Galeon

Smash Ace
There's so many different effects that come from trying to b-stick a pk fire with the layout. I'm guessing its just a timing thing but is there any way to completely avoid the turn around pk fire? I'm hoping that I'm letting go of a direction by accident and that's what turning me around and not that a slight mistiming is what's spinning me right round

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
There's so many different effects that come from trying to b-stick a pk fire with the layout. I'm guessing its just a timing thing but is there any way to completely avoid the turn around pk fire? I'm hoping that I'm letting go of a direction by accident and that's what turning me around and not that a slight mistiming is what's spinning me right round
I'm having the same problem. It seems like if I put more "emphasis" on Z when I wavebounce that it works almost all the time. Not sure if that makes sense, but I've had some weird things happen when I do this. When I get too aggressive with it, I end up doing a full hop approaching bair. It's so weird, and more importantly, so so bad...

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i got the timing to wavebounce pk fire with the new configuration, the problem is when i try to wavebounce+magnet pull for recovery, if i fail, it puts me in a bad position

I'm thinking about using default for people that can outcamp Lucas and B-stick against people that WB is necessary for.
i'm thinking it too, but right now, for me, is more important wavezap and wavebounce for recovery, more than spaced ok fires

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I prefer zap jumping to wavezapping. Wavezapping is so much easier to screw up with, and if you DO screw up, you'd be placed in a position difficult to recover by PK Thunder, because you'd be under the stage. This control scheme makes it all the more difficult, because it's pressing two buttons and tilting two control sticks at once. I don't have enough control of my hands to be able to do all that consistently. If I had started out playing with this configuration, it's likely that I would have adapted to it by now. But I'm too used to b-sticking now...

Also, anyone notice that it's easier to shoot wavebounced PK fires to the left than to the right with this config?

Top Bottom