• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' Video Thread

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Both of those links lead to the same video lol. I'm guessing the 2nd one was supposed to link to a singles match.

Don't use smashes so much (especially usmash) since they're more punishable than other, safer moves. Think about saving them for when you know they'll hit and probably when they can KO. There was also a part where Marth was charging an fsmash and you jumped right into it. Sometimes it's best to take the safe route and just hit them with a projectile (in this case probably PK Thunder for most damage).

Don't roll towards your opponent if you can avoid it.

Find other ways to recover than PKT2/magnet pull. Use the rope snake and zap jump as well to avoid being predictable.

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
Both of those links lead to the same video lol. I'm guessing the 2nd one was supposed to link to a singles match.

Don't use smashes so much (especially usmash) since they're more punishable than other, safer moves. Think about saving them for when you know they'll hit and probably when they can KO. There was also a part where Marth was charging an fsmash and you jumped right into it. Sometimes it's best to take the safe route and just hit them with a projectile (in this case probably PK Thunder for most damage).

Don't roll towards your opponent if you can avoid it.

Find other ways to recover than PKT2/magnet pull. Use the rope snake and zap jump as well to avoid being predictable.
*Face palm*

Yeah, I've noticed that smashes have gotten me punished more than anything, I'm trying to cut down on that but I can't really think of anything else to do when I need to create space between my opponent and I. I usually use Marth and he's a bit faster and safer that Lucas imo so I'm kind of used to just smashing for space since I think his moves are a bit safer.
ROFL, yeah. That was kind of stupid of me, I know I should have used either PK Fire or PK thunder.

Does Lucas have a punishable roll? Or is it just.. a bad roll in general?

I'm not fond of the rope snake since it's so short and I always have trouble using it and zap jumping is kind of hard for me to do because I don't like using the b-stick. s: Is there an easier way to do it with the normal controls? Or is changing the controls the only way to do it with ease?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
When you want to create space on the ground, ftilt is reeaaally good. It's incredibly fast and normally pretty safe on block. PK Fire definitely works to create space as well at the right distance.

Actually some characters like Lucario have better than average rolls, but I still say rolling is a bad habit in general, and it's something you want to get rid of as soon as possible. Too much rolling pretty much puts you at the mercy of your opponent if they pick up on it (especially since we're talking about Lucas here, whose roll is not good). You can get smashed or grabbed pretty easily. And a grab can be lethal from certain characters like Marth. There's just better ways to move around than rolling.

Rope snake actually reaches ledges from pretty far away in my opinion, try it out a bit more to get a feel for how far it can go. As for zapjumping, yeah, there are ways of doing it without b-stick. I personally don't b-stick, so when I zap jump I have to quickly move my middle finger to Y and my index finger to B. But that might be too much trouble for some people, so I dunno, you might want to just learn b-stick and sacrifice smashes/DI or learn how to move your fingers quickly to other buttons. And there are other control setups that work too. I guess it depends on your definition of "with ease".

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Man, that sucks FAE.

First thing I'd like to say is, don't go under the stage after stocks against D3. He can really **** us if we're trying to get off the ledge. The next thing is, if you're getting D-throw CG, don't always side-step to avoid the next dash grab. He could easily just bait it and DA for a free kill. Also, don't try for Dash Grabs unless they're in lag. Man I know we all think we're going to get that dash grab. But it never works :( Anways, also try replacing those standing grabs with dash grabs. Standing grabs should really only be used for shield grabbing.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Yeah this was before my tourney where I learned after playing 2 D3's in a row that spotdodging in the cg was bad :p Me and MMM just started testing stuff and I realized it'd be better to jab just in case. It was just a bbad habit I had, like my current bad habit up getting up straight after being hit by a naner. And lol yeah, I rarely ever go for the dash grab unless they're caught in ending lag, it's usually just shieldgrab and pivot grab. Don't know why I did it so much there.

Crimson Child

Smash Cadet
NNID
crimchild

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
oh wow that is so cool to have people posting from the Dominican Republic! Have fun uploading! Any questions feel free to ask around or me or rPSI can answer anything you need help with around here!

prOAPC

Smash Lord
those little kids are scary lol
i liked the way you find to heal each other in the middle of the battle
i tried that team before, didn't work, maybe because my partner didn't main Ness and i suck at doubles

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Alright guys, here's my Lucas:

Auspher (Lucas) vs. Silhouette (ICs)

Any and all tips are appreciated. :3

I really liked that you didn't approach once you had the lead. Keep that up. You got very lucky at the end when they got desynched and everyone died. I lol'd.

Also Uair works nicely when you are starting to seperate them.

And I would also recommend not trying to come down on top of them with Dair when they are coming up at you in the air. IC's Uair beat your Dair every time in the beginning of that much.. you took a bunch of unnecessary damage there.

Other than those things, i'd say you played it pretty well but not approaching.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Someone look up me and Galeon's videos. Eww except my ****ty ones. Which are plentiful.

Someone get Pink Fresh's up too. He has some recent ones.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Here's another vid of my Lucas:

Auspher (Lucas) vs. Solecalibur (Marth)

Critique is much appreciated.
You're playing the Marth MU super aggro, when it's really not one you can do that with. In my experience, that just leads to a lot of pain. I'm not going to say you have to start short hopping your PK Fires, but its a super good idea, ESPECIALLY against Marth. Standing = dash in, powershield PK Fire, and then they have their way with you. At least with short hopping it, you keep momentum with in its endlag. If any MU has you using it the most, it's this, because when its short hopped, you cover his standing height, his short hop height, and you're also moving away from him.

It also looks like you're hesitating in response to certain things. Don't hesitate. If all else fails, just jab it out.

Not really relevant, but you got SUPER lucky a bunch in this match :p One point where you should've died at the end, but he decided to platform cancel @5:41, which I think I counted like 10 Platform Cancels overall by him, and he missed like 5 more, wtf was with that? lol

And to your ICs video... never be afraid to abuse the **** out of Brinstar's gimmicky bull****. Especially down smash against ICs. Once they're apart, Nana is incapable of air dodging, meaning uair city. or fair. Or bair spike. Anything, really :p IMO, the ICs MU is much different once Nana's dead, because Popo will be focusing on one thing, widdling down as much of your stock as possible, and he doesn't have bad tools for that.

I think I'll make a demonstrational video of all the **** you can abuse on Brinstar, actually. Kind of amazed no one else has yet.

D

Deleted member

He was practicing platform cancelling a lot in that match. He likes to do it with Marth because it's pretty easy, but he actually mains ZSS.

Chuee

Smash Hero
1. When you use PKF always do aerial PKF. Grounded is punishable.
2. Camp more.
3. Mix up your approaches more. You approached with Fair a lot.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
You don't always have to do Aerial PKF. And it depends on what kind of aerial PKF. =/

Chuee

Smash Hero
Its mostly better to do aerial PKF.
Aerial gives you more pushback, which is really important.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Camping-wise, yes, I wouldn't do grounded PKF. Punishment wise, doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member

rPSI, what do you mean by "different kinds" of aerial PKF?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Like Wavebounce, B-Reverasal, Forward Momentum, No Momentum, Backward Momentum, etc. Not all of those are safe.

D

Deleted member

Forward momentum? Doesn't PKF always push you back, though? Or are you just doing it out of a dash?

I should work on a b-reversed PKF. Haven't really toyed with that, yet.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Basically, only time I find PK Fire to be worth it on the ground is when you want to **** Sheik's needles. It just goes right through em. "Free 15%? DWAM!"

Top Bottom