• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
@ Pi-Nerd, do you have a video? That sounds odd. I wonder if the stage/some sort of wind (Pokemon Stadium 2, G&W's uair) had anything to do with it.
I do not have a video of this, but the stage was Spear Pillar before any legendary showed up.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to gain horizontal momentum while zapjumping without using the bstick

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
Is there any way to gain horizontal momentum while zapjumping without using the bstick
Dont think so, Youd have to Zap jump and wavebounce and I dont think theres a way to do the 2 simultaneously . You can either do it Z Bouncing or B stcking I think.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Yes, you have to hit jump, forward - special, and c-stick backwards all at the same time.. it can get really confusing and difficult at the same time so i suggest setting L or R to jump, Z to special, and Y or X to grab... this set-up will allow u to perform anything a b-sticker can do while keeping your smashes set t c-stick.

ClausBound

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've done it a different way than that, I'm not sure how to do it, but I'll put some more time into studying it. Just cause I feel like I'm the only lucas main who doesn't change a single thing on the controls.

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
Yes, you have to hit jump, forward - special, and c-stick backwards all at the same time.. it can get really confusing and difficult at the same time so i suggest setting L or R to jump, Z to special, and Y or X to grab... this set-up will allow u to perform anything a b-sticker can do while keeping your smashes set t c-stick.

Isnt that Z Sticking or whatever its called?o.O and to do a Wavebounced Zapjump on those controls is just way too annoying to bother doing it unless you really have it down >.<

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Isnt that Z Sticking or whatever its called?o.O and to do a Wavebounced Zapjump on those controls is just way too annoying to bother doing it unless you really have it down >.<
yeah i believe it was dubbed "C-bouncing" and it's really not that difficult, just practice.

@Everyone... I swear every one of you lucas mains are too d*mn lazy to practice, no wonder why everyone thinks this character sucks and he hasn't moved anywhere on the tier list! Don't get me wrong, lucas does suck, maybe what i mean to say is "No wonder why all you Lucas mains suck!" People need to step up their game. If you want to place well in tournies w/out a secondary, then i suggest you practice every AT this character has. Learn them and master them. Be able to do them on command. Learn the MU's and know what to do in certain situations. I'm tired of hearing you guys say "Zap jumping is too difficult" or "C-bouncing is too hard to learn" or "Wavebouncing a zap jump isn't that important so i'm not gonna learn it." These are the same guys that b*tch when they: get gimped, don't know certain MU's, or get eliminated from tourney after two games.

Seriously my fellow Lucas mains, stop complaining that things are too difficult and just practice. All it takes is a little muscle memory, the timing isn't anywhere near impossible to learn.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Lol who's complaining.

Though I agree with what you're saying. Nothing's really too hard to learn except dustersliding if you take some time to practice the stuff.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
^ lol, thanks neon ness.. but i don't just mean the posts on this page.. i'm talking about posts i've been saying all over the lucas boards the past month or so.

It was just my 2cents and i hope it motivates you guys.

ClausBound

Smash Apprentice
Lol the rare occasions that I do, Its a bair spike. but since it sucks, i dont really resort to spiking

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble timing the Zap Jump. I see everywhere that I need to use PK Fire immediately after double-jumping, but I still can't get it to work.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Try at the exact same time. There's no way that you can time it at 1/60 of a second apart. Then you'll develop muscle memory.

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
B sticking is pretty beast with Lucas, easy to control most of his AT's and @ Takers , Im just saying go try a wave bounced zap jump with c Bounce lol, I mean I can do it most of the time ,its just Loads easier with B sticking.Not worth the hassle IMO xD. C bouncing is like doing everything you do with B stick just 3 times harder with the timing and the correct inputs, But like they said everything Lucas really has is easy to learn if you just take a few minutes and practice it :3

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
B sticking is pretty beast with Lucas, easy to control most of his AT's and @ Takers , Im just saying go try a wave bounced zap jump with c Bounce lol, I mean I can do it most of the time ,its just Loads easier with B sticking.Not worth the hassle IMO xD. C bouncing is like doing everything you do with B stick just 3 times harder with the timing and the correct inputs, But like they said everything Lucas really has is easy to learn if you just take a few minutes and practice it :3
I go by Nasty.. thanks.

And go try C-bouncing? Lol, that's what i use. That is my control set-up. I don't **** up. I just think some people have a harder time realizing it's actually the same thing, but can't apply it to their finger inputs. I've put time into it and now it's all muscle memory to me. I used to use c-sticking, then i used b-sticking, went back to c-sticking, and now i am sticking w/ c-bouncing. It's the most comfortable thing to me. Everybody is different.

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've done it a different way than that, I'm not sure how to do it, but I'll put some more time into studying it. Just cause I feel like I'm the only lucas main who doesn't change a single thing on the controls.
I usually play at an afterschool club and the person who owns the Wii doesn't let people make new names. It would be more effort than I'm willing to put in to change the controls. At home, I try out some different button layouts, but I'm mostly trying to get myself to not tap jump or c-stick. I find that Norfair with smart bombs and containers is a good way to teach myself how to jump.

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
I go by Nasty.. thanks.

And go try C-bouncing? Lol, that's what i use. That is my control set-up. I don't **** up. I just think some people have a harder time realizing it's actually the same thing, but can't apply it to their finger inputs. I've put time into it and now it's all muscle memory to me. I used to use c-sticking, then i used b-sticking, went back to c-sticking, and now i am sticking w/ c-bouncing. It's the most comfortable thing to me. Everybody is different.
Eh sorry about that, I was a little.....Zooted that day >.< didnt know you C bounced though nasty, Very nice xD How long did it take you to perfect that? Been at it myself for 6 months >.< Still abit hard to do the more complicated Reverses and pulls for me.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It hurts my fingers too much. I'd rather just take the time to learn manual wavebounce, which is applicable with every character.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Eh sorry about that, I was a little.....Zooted that day >.< didnt know you C bounced though nasty, Very nice xD How long did it take you to perfect that? Been at it myself for 6 months >.< Still abit hard to do the more complicated Reverses and pulls for me.
No worries.. and I already had zap jumping, wavebouncing, and reverse magnet pulls (in every direction) almost down perfectly when i just c-sticked... i then carried that over to c-bouncing. I've been using that control scheme since November, 2009. I watched a few vids of you that sade put up recently (against G&W/MK).. i enjoyed them.. and in your older vids it looked like you b-sticked? am i right?

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
No worries.. and I already had zap jumping, wavebouncing, and reverse magnet pulls (in every direction) almost down perfectly when i just c-sticked... i then carried that over to c-bouncing. I've been using that control scheme since November, 2009. I watched a few vids of you that sade put up recently (against G&W/MK).. i enjoyed them.. and in your older vids it looked like you b-sticked? am i right?
Ohhh haha thanks , been trying to work with my Lucas combos and MUs lately >.< And yea lol old videos were when I b sticked, man did I enjoy those days where I did Reverse magnets all the time, Wanna start heading to tourneys when I head back to NY though, try to get out there :p

ClausBound

Smash Apprentice
Mmmm new question for the lovely Lucas boards. So, recently, I've been fighting some good people. They still give me advice such as "Don't be so predictable" "You're good, but I punished your every move" So, lately, I have been wondering some good ways to at least change up my playstyle in game. Just because people get used to it and punish before the set is even over. So I need some help. How do I not be so predictable, like less pkfs? Or how can I change up my playstyle mid game so people dont predict me and punish. I'll have some videos up of ladder matches and stuff later. But in the meantime, someone give me some advice please.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Learn your mix-ups. But you also have to remember that, that is one of the disadvantages of using a low-tier is that there are less mix-ups.

That said, you should also try to not approach and not always PKF. Simply just jumping around and figuring out what your opponent does might help.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, basically don't get into a rut with your thinking.

"This person's a small distance from me, now I'll try PK Fire!"

"This person's on the ground and I'm falling from above, I'll try dair!"

"This person is at kill % and above me, I'll KO with usmash!"

Always be on the lookout for alternate solutions, try running away, try unusual moves, heck even try doing nothing sometimes and see if you can punish their reaction. Being unpredictable throughout the entire match is really difficult but really important.

And every move should have a reason, never throw out an attack 'just because'. You should be able to go back on your videos and old matches and see why you did certain moves and why you thought they would work.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Like rPSI briefly stated, try some empty full hops. throw out a Zair for mindgames. SH air dodge for mindgames. stuff like that.

Also when u run away, try to pivot a pkf (turn around and shoot pkf while still grounded) rather than SH PKF. It comes out kinda fast imo and is kinda surprising bc most ppl look for the pkf after you leave the ground.

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
Claus you got this :3 Just mix up the moves abit with something you wouldnt really use at all like they said, need to start doing the same actually myself lol

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Also when u run away, try to pivot a pkf (turn around and shoot pkf while still grounded) rather than SH PKF. It comes out kinda fast imo and is kinda surprising bc most ppl look for the pkf after you leave the ground.
Or if you're going to do that, you can mix it up with pivot grabs or RAR f-air.

Bomboleriot

Smash Cadet
Nantes, Loire-Atlantique (France, Bretagne)

Since it was "Lucas General discussion" i assumed it was a Lucas-only topic (well, regarding the content i kinda doubted of it)

By the way Nasty, could you consider my demand about textually explaining the tricks in your new vid? Actually, i don't know how to perform some of them, like dustersliding for example, so it would be of great help (plus i didn't find any video about this on YT). Thanks!

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Since it was "Lucas General discussion" i assumed it was a Lucas-only topic (well, regarding the content i kinda doubted of it)

By the way Nasty, could you consider my demand about textually explaining the tricks in your new vid? Actually, i don't know how to perform some of them, like dustersliding for example, so it would be of great help (plus i didn't find any video about this on YT). Thanks!
It's a general discussion, i'm sure it can be about anything.

And i am actually working on adding that text in there now. haha. I just hope the next time i upload it, it'll have the music playing.

Bomboleriot

Smash Cadet
Nantes, Loire-Atlantique (France, Bretagne)
Tips : Add this to your video

DON´T MUTE IT YOUTUBE BECAUSE:
"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
I was playing Lucas against a computer-controlled Sonic, and I was messing around because it was in training mode. I was on Pokemon Stadium (maybe 2), and at an edge. I used a psi-magnet, and Sonic used f-special to attack me. I got pushed off the edge without taking damage. I'm currently at camp for four weeks, but I'll try to get a video up once I get back, if I remember.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
Is Lucas Underated?

My brother is convinced that Lucas is way too underated. Jokingly, I say, "that's why you lose to my Falcon." But this doesn't phaze his belief. Then he goes on about how a skillful player could probably bring Lucas to atleast A tier if they intergrated what he calls "ghosting" into their playstyle.

This "ghosting," you see, is a move my brother made up that is basically: short hop to air dodge, repeat. He says the frames of vulnerabilty are much too small, and, if used correctly, can give someone a big advantage for getting a kill (with a smash) or commencing a combo.

My brother is just bad at the game, so I don't oppose this, but I'd like to know other peoples' thoughts.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That is called SHAD (Short Hop Air Dodge). If the opponent reads your SHAD correctly they can punish with something like a charged Smash Attack. There are also certain advantages to SHAD, such as the invincibility. It can be done with any character, so it in no way affects only Lucas.

Also welcome to the Lucas boards. ^_^

Please ask any more questions you have like this in the QnA thread. Have a fun time asking away
n.n/

Top Bottom