• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' MU Thread - Discussing: Sonic

Chuee

Smash Hero
well if he whistles the first hit he's not gonna get any knockback from the first hit which means the next three will likely miss anyway

what does loli say to lucas dsmashing the ledge?

also throwing a yellow pikmin @ pk thunder during recovery = mean. hope that the loli ain't a sniper.

does loli's upB grab the ledge after it hits someone? if it doesn't lucas can just pkthunder/zapjump/doublejump/anything really to recover even if he gets hit.

alternatively, tether the ledge from far away so that you're hanging even more below the ledge. would loli be able to hit lucas at that position without dying himself?
If lucas Dsmashed the ledge Oli would probably wait for it to finish and use a getup attack.
Oli's Up-B grabs the edge as long as he's close enough and no one else is on the ledge.

YES NAME CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
If lucas Dsmashed the ledge Oli would probably wait for it to finish and use a getup attack.
Oli's Up-B grabs the edge as long as he's close enough and no one else is on the ledge.

YES NAME CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol. who're you gonna prank?

No, as in Dsmash the ledge before loli UpB's. Will it destroy his pikmin? Will it hit him as he's climbing up to the ledge like Lucas' snake?

What if someone IS on the ledge and isn't invincible? Will it hit him, then grab the ledge or hit and miss the ledge completely?

Chuee

Smash Hero
lol. who're you gonna prank?

No, as in Dsmash the ledge before loli UpB's. Will it destroy his pikmin? Will it hit him as he's climbing up to the ledge like Lucas' snake?

What if someone IS on the ledge and isn't invincible? Will it hit him, then grab the ledge or hit and miss the ledge completely?
Probably not.
If Olimar up-B's when they dont have invinc. it hits them but Olimar doesn't grab the ledge.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
ok here are some quick thoughts of mine on this MU:

- i find nair to work really well in this MU.. especially Nair > Jab combo
- Most ppl know we go from Nair > Jab combo so after the first or second jab you should grab if they are sheilding bc they will most likely grab you if you don't connect with any of those hits.
- Our Dair loses to his Uair if he has a yellow pikmin (i am almost 100% sure of this)
- His UpB is super fast so be careful when quick grabbing the ledge or you'll get stage spiked
- If you are on the ledge while olimar is trying to recover they will either:
A) look for a purple pikmin to hit you with before they use their upB or
B) wait till your invincibility frames are gone and they will use their UpB causing them to die but it may also stage spike you. (So be aware of your %age and decide if it's worth taking the hit OR have extremely good timing getting up from the ledge)
- Yellow pikmin make your Nair laaggggg so this could be a good opportunity to attempt to trick them by using Nair so they drop their shield sooner
- Yellow pikmin also laaaggg our Dsmash when one is stuck to you so you may be able to trick them by using it here as well.
- If you are at high %age and olimar spams pikmin at you, don't worry about it. You are about to die anyway so my attitude is just let it go, let him run out of pikmin and then take advantage of the situation.
- NEVER chase an olimar who is running away, you WILL get pivot grabbed
- PKF can only do so much to stop pikmin spam, you will have to approach sooner rather than later.

This MU isn't as bad as i used to think it was. No worse than 60-40.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
More about pikmin:

Reds are more likely to be plucked from carpets (e.g. luigi's mansion)
Whites and Blues are more likely to be plucked from water-based surfaces (ice, clouds, shallow water on delfino)
Yellows and Purples come up more on metallic surfaces (corneria, cars on big blue, etc etc)

Zori

Smash Champion
More about pikmin:

Reds are more likely to be plucked from carpets (e.g. luigi's mansion)
Whites and Blues are more likely to be plucked from water-based surfaces (ice, clouds, shallow water on delfino)
Yellows and Purples come up more on metallic surfaces (corneria, cars on big blue, etc etc)

o-o..........lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually I think the Pikmin are kinda like G&W's Judgement. They are somewhat based on the time you pluck them (complicated, I'll explain it one day).

Esca

Smash Champion
Some Pikmin have a higher % chance of coming out on different terrain. They may not come out 100%, however, you have double the chance of pulling blues whilst in water/on clouds, etc...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Tallman seriously, I've talked to Zac and Billy about it. We think that G&W follows the assumed rules/algorithms (Like you can't pull a hammer two times in a row, you can't pull a 1 on the first hammer, etc) with the additional "side rule" that the number you pull is based somehow on when you pull the hammer time wise. I don't know if it is based on the 60 frames, or if it's on a 1-9 frame scale that repeats over and over, or even if it's a combination of your single digit second number followed by the Milisecond, etc. But we think that the specific time you pluck the hammer affects what number you get.

heytallman

CTALL
Texas now owns this thread. lol

edit: DMG I said that because you kinda came out of nowhere, unless you've been posting in this thread and I just didn't notice. It just caught me by surprise. And then esca came in.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
DMG, probably the game uses the timer (be it in frames or milliseconds) as a seed in deciding which number to pull or which pikmin to pull in addition to the previous rules (but I swear I've seen loli pull out two of the same color in a row).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Tallman yeah I posted about Wario. Hell I basically wrote up 90% of the matchup stuff for that one lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lucas is good. I might use him at HOBO.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
DMG I'LL TEACH YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW.

nair shields
Dair just to dair
hit people with stupid attacks
???
profit

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I GOT THIS!

Lol I like the Lucas Ditto. I used to do it with Josh occasionally.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
!!!!!!

I Have Failed To Appease The Lucas Gods!!!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Am I allowed to Dair camp harder than MK?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
back on topic...

-you know was better (or as least as good) than jab? Dtilt. It stops most of Olimar's ground attacks, specially his shield grab (which is slow) and smash attacks. Use jab cancel to dtilt often
-his uair is really good, it doesn't matter which pikmin he's using, it still has good priority, if his using a yellow pikmin, you'll get hit
-when his on the ledge, his getup attack has an amazing range for such a small character, it can be tricky
-his pikmin toss is not much of a deal, a simple jab would stop them the problem is when they're tossing purple pikmins. I'm not sure, but i think attacking a pikmin will refresh your attacks
-nair is better than dair in this matchup
-i don't agree with you guys when you said to don't PKT when he's off stage, just PKT as soon as you hit him and stay in a save place (like under a platform). He can't punish you that good, the worst you can get is a purple pikmin in your face
-He doen't like to get grabbed. Everytime you land a grab, is a free way to put him in the air. When do grab? If you shield his dsmash, it is a free grab. Don't try to grab his other smash attacks, wait for the dsmash (double smash, like usmash (miss)+dsmash is pretty common)
-While his in the air, you have a BIG advantage. A well-timed Uair beats his Dair or you can just wait for him to land and jab or pivot grab (use it with the proper mindgame)
-it's hard to punish his grounded upB or sh upB, he recovers very fast, just stay away and PK fire

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lucas does good on Brinstar like Wario :)
DMG, I would love to see you time someone out with lucas.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Kinda like we can do? I love nair > utilt and I think it'd be good here since it places him above us.

DMG: You will always appease me, don't worry. :-D
yeah like we can do. instead of approaching us from the front with Nair, they'd be coming from on top of us with Nair > Utilt.. i spoke with my friend who mains olimar, he said he could also go from Nair > Usmash or Dsmash.

anyone know of a good way to get around this? my suggestion would be just shield the entire chain of attacks and punish from there. Does his Nair beat out Utilt??

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
anyone know of a good way to get around this? my suggestion would be just shield the entire chain of attacks and punish from there. Does his Nair beat out Utilt??
Can we smash DI out of the Nair? if so I'd say that.
Otherwise I would assume our Utilt beats nair, due to its disjoint. Might be a foul assumption though... lol.

I use the same mentality for MK's who glide attack to dsmash. I just shield until I think it will stop and punish with my mightiest punish option (jab).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can SDI out of his Nair and his Utilt.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
P~S and I think it's even.
that makes 3 of us =]

back on topic...

-you know was better (or as least as good) than jab? Dtilt. It stops most of Olimar's ground attacks, specially his shield grab (which is slow) and smash attacks. Use jab cancel to dtilt often
-his uair is really good, it doesn't matter which pikmin he's using, it still has good priority, if his using a yellow pikmin, you'll get hit
-when his on the ledge, his getup attack has an amazing range for such a small character, it can be tricky
-his pikmin toss is not much of a deal, a simple jab would stop them the problem is when they're tossing purple pikmins. I'm not sure, but i think attacking a pikmin will refresh your attacks
-nair is better than dair in this matchup
-i don't agree with you guys when you said to don't PKT when he's off stage, just PKT as soon as you hit him and stay in a save place (like under a platform). He can't punish you that good, the worst you can get is a purple pikmin in your face
-He doen't like to get grabbed. Everytime you land a grab, is a free way to put him in the air. When do grab? If you shield his dsmash, it is a free grab. Don't try to grab his other smash attacks, wait for the dsmash (double smash, like usmash (miss)+dsmash is pretty common)
-While his in the air, you have a BIG advantage. A well-timed Uair beats his Dair or you can just wait for him to land and jab or pivot grab (use it with the proper mindgame)
-it's hard to punish his grounded upB or sh upB, he recovers very fast, just stay away and PK fire
a lot of this is true, but be careful some of the better olis don't getup attack often from the ledge. we can also SH fair out of ur dtilt, so it's punishable if you spam it. if you are going to do it, follow up quickly or run away after.

also a common quick combo i've seen a lot is an olimar's Nair into Utilt
we can nair into pretty much anything we want, it's sooooooooooooooo good :D

You can SDI out of his Nair and his Utilt.
Yes, you can SDI out of nair, and most likely nair us back before we can do anything, or just completely out. BE CAREFUL IF YOU SDI OUT OF UTILT. we can dsmash you afterwards because you fall out near us, or follow up with a grab. if you sdi out of our utilt, grab us quick or do something before we pseudo-combo you

Top Bottom