• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, great analysis you gave me. Yeah, usually the random up-smashes are input errors. Two things I really ought not to do, and your analysis confirmed it. The first is to roll so much, I tend to do that. The second is the abuse of the fsmash. I feel like if I used tilts and stuff instead, when I do use the fsmash, it won't be stale and it should kill. Great stuff.

BTW, is there anyway we can revive the Lucario Boards? I'd like to get into the MU discussion, but everything's pretty dead around here.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Thanks man, great analysis you gave me. Yeah, usually the random up-smashes are input errors. Two things I really ought not to do, and your analysis confirmed it. The first is to roll so much, I tend to do that. The second is the abuse of the fsmash. I feel like if I used tilts and stuff instead, when I do use the fsmash, it won't be stale and it should kill. Great stuff.

BTW, is there anyway we can revive the Lucario Boards? I'd like to get into the MU discussion, but everything's pretty dead around here.
yeah too bad about the MU discussions being so lonely. i also want to improve my lucario and revive the matchup discussions as well.

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Woohoo, you've got a strong Lucario. I'm not so sure I'm qualified to comment on it, but I sure enjoyed watching it. Still, I'll make a preliminary, not in-depth comment.

You've got a great mastery of the moves and ATs, I don't really know what to say about that without watching the stream over again. However, it became clear from the set you played that you should work on varying your approach from the ledge.

I mean, you clearly know what options you have. It is just a matter of you juggling those options and predicting your opponents counters to those options. I think you need to adapt a bit better to how your opponent treats you when you are on the ledge. 2 or 3 times, the way that Wario clinched victory was with a fart when he jumped off the ledge while you were going for it. Even in between invincibility frames when you were going to regrab the ledge, he did it. After the first time, you ought to be watching out for that. He saw it worked once, thus he is liable to do it again. Capitalize on that liability.

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone.

My friend, LucarioMaster, and I have been playing in doubles for 3 months. We are the "Egypteam" and we use Anubis strategy.
Both of us really love playing that strategy, LucarioMaster is the best french Lucario so he is a beast in 2vs1.
We managed to place 5th at our first big tournament beating top players like Deimos/Le Syd.

We would like you to criticize us ( but unfortunatly, these are friendlies so they don't reflect how we can really play ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-B0CBQ6_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqvudk6MHHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x844FApFytA

We hope we will be able to upload offline games soon.

Thank you :)

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
I tried to critique I swear but I can't find much if not any mistakes:(

But I can compliment you guys even though it's not very helpful:)
I like the playstyle you guys use, even though i have never seen a team battle before

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
This has gone far enough
You want a critique? You got one. I HATE watching a friend ask for help and not recieving any.
So here is what I think of the match and my opinions about it.
You WILL get a decent critique and you WILL win that tournament, and by god those will be the BEST battles that I will ever lay eyes upon.
IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?!

This is going to be about the first match you posted and is going to be aimed at Lucario and how he preformed.

0:24 DON'T BLINDLY FAIR YOUR TEAMMATE

0:54 Grabbing out of a roll can be risky. A better option would have been a SHFair

1:28 I assume that FP Flame was an accident, because that got punished

1:37 Space that FSmash, that was way too close for confort

2:49 Self explanitory :mad:

I'll get to the rest of the matches when I have the time to do so.

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I guess we ought to help out our fellow friends in need. I'm gonna comment on your team play a little here, because I feel it is the hardest aspect of the doubles game. This is only for the first match, I'll get to the others later.

In the beginning, you guys were hitting each other a little too much. As in, you get tornadoed, MK gets Faired, and well, comboed a little. I like the anubis strategy, and you guys were playing it well. However, I feel the MK came out onto the battle field a little too much. Really, you should be fighting extremely hard and MK should be taking as little damage as possible, so he shouldn't be taking free damage by coming on to the stage like that.

Overall, it was a pretty good game. I'm actually going to a tournament next weekend, and I'll be playing lucario in singles and doubles. My partner is also MK (hopefully, if they don't ban him). The plan is to also play anubis, so seeing this really helped me. Thanks!

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
Good luck Elrelster and thanks you for help us Jesus ! We will train very hard for winning the tourney.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
This is the critique for the second match of the three that Erodote has put up.

0:15 Always keep an eye out for your surroundings, as this could have been avoided

0:23 Please please PLEASE don't hit your teammate. I know that this seems like I'm just nagging, but it actually looked like you were going for him instead of protecting him

0:35 Regular get up to sheild could have worked, but I also saw that Snake could have landed on the stage, so I see why you decided to attack upon getting up. This one is tricky...

0:40 AHHH FRIENDLY FIRE!!! This shouldn't be a battle on who can kill Snake first, but instead working together to take him out. One solution could be MK doing what he did and Lucario standing on the edge. MK can DAir Snake from the ledge, BUT if Snake manages to get around that obstacle (as he did in the video), he can get a little surprise visit from Lucario as he gets on the stage :evil:

0:54 I think you get the point

1:37 With those numbers, Snake will get UTilt happy, and you should have seen this one coming as he also tried this in 1:22 also. Basicly expect an UTilt in your near future when you reach high percents

2:13 Better watch it with that AS charge, but I'm sure that was an imput error

2:23 Dangerous to FSmash while an opponent is overhead

Overall this match was all right. Elrelster mentioned the team hitting for the previous video, but I feel that there was a lot more of this in this match. Please work on this. You two have a lot of potential as demonstrated in this video, but you need to work on communication, because most of the hitting mistakes were because of the two of you going for one opponent and end up headbutting each other like in those old cartoons. Oh and one more thing, you guys have all the basic stuff down, so I suggest working on buffing the small details, like actually imputing a move that you want to do, not accidentally doing some other move that may result in a punish. Detailing and communicating is pretty much what you need. Remember, communication is the key to a successful team.

One more video to go!
Like I said, I'll get to it when I have the time to do so.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
THE FINAL CRITIQUE

Before I begin I would like to point out that many of the mistakes here are just like the ones in the previous videos, like for example, friendly fire.
So instead of wasting your time pointing out every single little mistake of hitting your teammate, I'm just going to skip over that, granted that you got the message in the previous critique.

0:43 NAir can be pretty riskt falling off of the stage, as it is a move that takes up quite some time. If TL was to hit you, it would heve been lights out for sure, but you did make it out alive, so its all good. But that is still no excuse, so try to avoid this.

1:00 Pretty much falls into the category of working to perfect your moves, because grabbing the ledge would have benefitted you more than taking a bomb to the face which then led to you getting star KO'd.

1:29 Under 100% Lucario can't hit an opponent that is standing that close to the edge. Fortunately, this is where pushing down on the control stick then jumping to an air attack can come in handy, BUT ONLY if you wait for one second to let TL's FSmash finish. Not really something teribly and morally wrong that if you don't do this you will die, but more of something to keep in mind next time something similsr comes up.

3:31 Releasing the AS left you wide open to ZSS. In this situation I think it would have been better to shield instead of shooting because TL was going to shield that AS anyways. (I mean, who wouldn't shield a big blue ball the size of Bowser?)

4:02 DON'T JUST STAND THERE HELP ME!! XD

4:19 Okay, I know this is going to make me seem like the biggest hypocrite consitering that I said before this critique that I wouldn't point out problems that happened in the other videos, but I feel it necessary to point this out. You two were fighting to get the final blow on ZSS, not caring who gets hit. Yes I understand that it was ZSS's last stock and added up you two had three stocks, but I just didn't like the fact that you guys still aimlessly shot out attacks just to get her out of bounds reguardless if your teammate gets hit.

Overall in this match there was a lot of close up AS charging then shooting at point blank range. I'm not saying that it's bad, it's just that I think the other team got some reads on you because it was used so often. I guess that there wasn't that many things wrong with this video as in the others, but most of the other videos problems were present in this match as well. I'm also sorry that I didn't get as much things critiqued for this video as I did in the others

Well there you have it.
My opinions about how these matches were and my suggestions on how to improve. Keep in mind that I have never done a critique before and that I had no idea how to do one before this. I only did this to help out because nobody else wanted to, and I wanted to make a difference. Feel free to point out some things that are wrong with what I wrote in the critiques because after all, I'm learning too

Hope this helped!

:lucario: EGYPTEAM :metaknight:

*results may vary

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Man you're amazing ! *_* Of course you helped us a lot !
We won't disappoint you :D

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
That would be very much appreciated. I look forward to it.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
The Hichez Critique

Diddy is an overall hard matchup between Lucario in general. Diddy's air attacks being able to challenge Lucario's, him being quite fast and hard to catch, and those BANANAS! But this is not an impossible task and it can be done. If there is a will, there is a way.

0:33 Doing an FSmash is generally a good idea to put some pressure on an opponent on a ledge. However in this Diddy match I noticed that he would punish some FSmashing by dodging, then grabbing, like in 2:09. A solution might be to FSmash>DTilt because jabbing kind of worked in 2:09, but there wasn't enough time to jab or grab again, and since DTilt's hitbox comes out in 9 frames as opposed to jab's 6 frames, it could serve as a good replacement for jabbing to push Diddy away and get some space.

1:24 You started to feel pressured and backed up into the corner. Getting cornered by a Diddy is very bad and must be avoided at all costs. I have tried to come up with a way of trying to avoid this, but I can't think of any except for FTilting or SHFAir.

2:10 I noticed that you tried to do many jab>grabs. Diddy would usually spot dodge the first jab then grab you. In this match I think that jab>jab>jab or jab>jab>DTilt would be more effective.

2:37 Watch where your opponent goes and don't just have a set way of attacking. That AS would have worked if Diddy was still on the stage, but he ran off the stage before you did the AS and was behind you when you shot it.

4:02 Okay, this is your final stock. You have over 100% in damage and your opponent has just spawned. In a situation like this I like to let out my inner beast. What I mean by this is that you are basically a one hit KO, so why not just go all out and start attacking like a madman?This tends to work if you do this at the very end or so because let's face it, nobody here wants to be predictable.

4:36 Grabbing the ledge could help out more than landing an ES on the ground while Diddy was below you. Luckily you didn't get hit, but Diddy being the fast little monkey that he has the ability to punish this easily.

5:00 Pivot grab?

7:25 Always remember about slopes so you don't have to waste a perfectly good AS. Could have been used for what was about to happen next, not saying that there will be a 100% chance that this will work if you were to save that AS.

8:32 You really shouldn't throw bananas back at Diddy, no matter how much you think he deserves it. Just throw them off the stage or on the opposite side of where Diddy is. Of course the occasional banana to Diddy won't be too bad, but don't over do it.

10:48 After finally being able to launch Diddy to the side, you over-confidently jumped after him to "finish the job". Another option would have been to stay on the stage and shoot multiple BAS to pressure and wait for him to get back on the stage.

11:01 If the ledge it clear, then aim straight for it, especially if your opponent is no where near you. I tried to ES that corner that you looked like you were aiming for to see if it was possible in training mode, but I couldn't seem to cling to the side, or even hop off as soon as I touch it. I was only able to do this after a jump. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right:ohwell:

12:14 You were playing too defensively in the final part of the match. In the part where you were shielding, you could have SHFAired to get a chance to back up at least. Pretty much ties into what I said about 4:02.

In conclusion, try your best to avoid being cornered when you are fighting Diddy, and to FSmash less up close(FTilt maybe?). I think that Diddy could be approached by FTilts because of him being a short character and because he likes to jump a lot(faster that FSmash, longish range, attacks twice, can be tilted upwards for a good ground-to-air move). Good for a second option, but must be spaced properly.

PS: In this match between you and Player-1, I noticed that he tends to spot dodge a lot when approaching. Just a nice little heads up.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that we play a lot. He is my main training partner, so some of our reads come from just knowing the other players tendencies.

I think I will jab jab jab/dilt more. Anything else you think would work even if it is more situation. As you know, lucario is a pretty slow character, so having close range mix-up options is on a plus.

I was aware that he loves to spot dodge. He knows I am bad a punishing them, so he does it on purpose. I can't ever seem to get the timing right.

I defiantly agree with your judgement at 10:48. I was too caught in to moment to realize that I should have just slowed down.

@ 11:01 I wasn't aiming for the wall it was just a mis-input.

I'm going to have to disagree with your offensive theory for high percent lucario. There is no reason to not play safe unless you are worried about time. I can go into more detail if you want, but generally it isn't that good of an idea. I can agree though that staying in my shield wasn't the best option.

You analysis of the corning stuff was spot on.

I honestly appreciate it.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
I think I ended up learning much more about what you said than what I wrote down about the video.

So for that I would also like to thank you

Oh and one more thing!

I was thinking and MAYBE one solution to you getting cornered by Diddy is a SHAD, but now that you mentioned Lucario being a slow character, maybe not such a good idea.
I just thought so because Diddy was using is so effectively against you.

So now that I got that off my chest, can you explain the whole defensive thing because I'm starting to realize that what I said really wasn't very good advise to give now that I have thought about it.
And good thing you pointed that out or else I would have been giving out bad advise to the rest of the people in future critiques.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Cool. You seemed to be pretty familar with lucario's frame data. Jab is frame 6 and that is practically his fastest moves on the ground unless you want to send them 90 degrees. Sadly, this makes lucario a tad bit over rated.

There aren't many benefits from going aggressive at high percent.

Any worthwhile opponent will know that as lucario takes more damage the will only get stronger.
This type of thinking means that the opponent will only want to use kill moves/ potential kill setups. If you know the kill set-ups you should be able to navigate through them only taking more damage and being put into a disadvantageous position.

So you decide to play defensive lucario and just try to chip damage off. You know your opponet will be playing just as safe as you, if not safer so that is all you need to do. Now we have the advantage of our moves doing extraordinary percent and knock-back. I have done some crazy 5 hit kills from a fresh opponent's stock.

If you go aggressive lucario you are at greater risk of dying. You also won't kill your opponent at 0-50% even with max aura with anything close to good DI. I have seen some deaths of lighter characters past ~60% at max aura due to poor DI. If we die no comeback will be made right?

So knowing the following information if you just play a tad more defensive you should be fine. Your opponent knows that any move that doesn't kill you puts them at a great risk of a loss. And as long as we aren't dead we are free to chip off damage and at high aura we have access to more kill moves. We gain dtilt, nair, uptilit, and side-B as super viable kill moves in addition to dair, upair, and all smashes.

On related note lets say that you are in the middle of huge 3 stock comeback. Even if you are near max aura your moves are getting stale. From watching my videos you can probably see my fsmash/ Dair getting stale pretty quickly. If we just take our time and play patiently we have the opportunity to freshen up some of our more reliable kill moves.

Feel free to pick away at my argument. I will probably refute, but there might be something I am not thinking of and I am only here to get better.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
It all sounds good to me. Reasonable and logical. Can't really argue about something I know less of, so I guess we're done here.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone! I will try to make a detailed review of some of the matches above, but it will take me a bit of time.

In the meantime, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to comment three matches between me and Ally. I am in the middle of uploading them to youtube - I apologize in advance for the poor quality. I would be most appreciative if you could comment based on habits, options I don't take advantage of, and most importantly excercises/ways to practice in order to develop a skill you believe I am lacking. I am aware of mistakes that I do so it will be less helpful if you simply point out that I made X mistake at time t = Y. It would be better if you could say "hey you tend to roll every time you are put in X situation" or "you seem to not fastfall in Z situation, try practicing in the following manner" etcet.

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNbbwIpPV4

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Critique

From the description that you made, you sound like you just want a critique. So I'm just going to drop the funny and anything unnecessary, and get straight to the point.

Habits:

When Snake spawns, you tend to run up to him, then wave-bounce away.
Mix things up with jumping backwards, walking off stage to grab the ledge, firing an AS, and/or MAYBE walking up to block then grab.

Options to take advantage of:

Snake can be punished while in the air and upon landing.
Jumping after him as he is landing like what you do is good, but you might also want to consider staying on stage and waiting for him to fall and get him on his landing. Most if not all his moves are slow, so try to bait him to do something and counter that.

Other:

You don't seem to abuse rolling and you use it at the right times, so it's not really something to change.

I don't think you lack fast-falling in any situation.

Reading around, I found out that DTilt is good to "pop" Snake off of the ground.

Excellent use of B-reversals!

Can't really find anything else wrong with these videos.
Can someone help me out?

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Jesus! Picking up on my habit was very helpful! I need to explore more options during resets. Can you explain use of ftilt vs dtilt? I find it hard to distinguish when to use these moves.

My first critique coming in a moment!

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Hi, lucario fellows, i got 2nd in the biggest tournament in Mexico city held last Saturday, here is the stream. Enjoy!!
http://es-es.twitch.tv/ligasmashdf/b/370677607
WB1 55.20 - 1.06.50
WB2 2.45.55 - 2.59.25
WSF 5.35.55 - 5.54.10
WF 7.14.45 - 7.38.15
LF 7.39.55 - 8.05.10
GF 8.06.10 - 8.38.40

Hi Richi! This is my first critique and please bear with me as, I am sure you know, you are a much more seasoned lucario than me and therefore I am not quite qualified to critique your level of play. I struggle with the GW matchup so I decided to analyze your first match and give you feedback as well as think over the matchup for my own benefit. Here are my thoughts:

Richi Lucario analysis:
Match 1 vs game and watch
Landings in the first 50 seconds if the match I noticed you tend to nair on landing in a situation where GW could shield and punish. I think this may be somewhat of a habit that the gw picked up on leading to:
56 28 A landing punished with down smash – leads to kill for gw
Richi reads trip for first kill 57:27
I mentioned the gw might have picked up on your habit of attacking the gw during your landing as opposed to air dodging or b reversing or some other option. So, at 57:53 gw expects that pattern but you see the smash coming so you don’t nair on landing as you normally do
Beautiful combo after the gw sd
59:20 – nair again risky
1:00:38 – you could have footstooldaired on gw on platform – useful to put this to use in general since it guarantees hit on a shielding opponent. I don't think you have used that at all in the match so far and that was a definite moment where you could have used it instead of jump-fair as you did.
1:04:06, had you read the fact that hit stun would allow gw to shield your combo, you could have landing force palmed him to continue your combo. In this matchup that’s not a common thing you can do but it is still useful as a mixup on gw. 1:04:29 same deal- a better gw would have been able to shield all of the dair. At 1:05:13 this is why gw scored the kill. Again the same issue with 1:06:22 I think in all of those last moments I mentioned a landing force palm read would have scored a hit on gw. I understand that is a risky read to do but I think you could do it more often at least in this match.

I hope to do a review of your next match as well, Please let me know if you think I am wrong about something or if you would like me to elaborate.

Nau

Smash Rookie
I haven't posted any video since 6 months ago or even a year, you probably don't remember me. Anyway I would like to get criticized once again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_RLuIY2KE
the beginning was kind of a warm up (it starts kinda slowly lol) but after 1 min or so we move a little bit better
some time ago I posted a video against this same person, so I thought it would be fun to upload a video of him again xD so i could see my improvements or even if i have become worse
also take into account these are friendlies
and finally i read this thread like once a week or so, but i never criticize because i don't really know if i'm good enough as for doing so. anyway if someone wants me to criticize feel free to tell me!

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Hey Nau! I think your Lucario is excellent! I would love for you to critique mine as well but I intend to critique yours later tonight.

Nau

Smash Rookie
I like how you reverse B to hit ally with the AS charge, and you don't spam it.
I wouldn't do these many uthrows and do some d-throws instead at low percentage. We want snake to be in the air (i think the whole MU goes around that lol) and uthrow can only be followed by an utilt or a not guaranteed follow up (maybe another grab or fair or idk). when you dthrow snake at 0, you can full hop uair and if he airdodges, you can dair, it is (i think) a guaranteed frame trap. he can also jump or take a grenade out or whatever, but anyway you have some more time to punish his landing or try some other options in the air. I'm not telling you to stop uthrowing, just alternate it a little bit!
your side-B landings were nice, you didn't connect some of them not because they were wrong but because you mispaced them. That's not really a problem since you can improve it easily with some practice. anyway, even though you connected most of them, i hope you don't use them that much in other sets. ally seemed like he didn't want to spot dodge or roll behind you, maybe because he doesn't care that much about friendlies, but i feel that if those matches had happened in tournament he would have punished more sideBs. So i hope you were using them that much because they were connecting and not because it's a habit.
Also try not to hit snake's shield with fair, it's sooo punishable. Sometimes it's not that bad, i mean, you don't have to stop doing it completely, but you have to take into account that he can uptilt you after shielddroping even if you buffer dair (or i think so). So use fair when you are sure he won't PS you or you might face death sooner than expected xD.
Maybe you're thinking now something like "what else can I do if I can't hit safely his shield with my fair!". Well, i noticed that you didn't use f-tilt a single time in the matches (and if you used it i didn't see it lol), so use it a little bit more. Snake can't punish ftilt's second hit even on a PS (you should also watch lucario's hitbubbles, that one is enormous). He can punish lucario's first f-tilt hit with his f-tilt even is perfectly spaced, and you will almost always hit with the first hit, but anyway it's not that easy to PS it since it's frame 12. So use f-tilt sometimes (it's just another option, don't spam it, but take it into account). Also, as we can't really approach snake all we can do is put him in the air and try to destroy him there. So don't be eager to hit him, be calm and safe and try to connect a hit and after that hit, you should be pulling a combo or putting him in a bad position or something.
Also you can bair him when he is falling to the stage, if you position yourself correctly you should be hitting his airdodge (i think bair lasts for 14 frames or so and snake's airdodge for 20 or so; bair should hit him most of the times)
I like the fact that you didn't roll too often. Most lucarios roll randomly and it's annoying, you seem to know when to roll. I just found a roll which was punishable and i think ally ftilted you because of that. But it's a normal fault, that isn't important at all.
Finally, I don't know what to say about spotdodges. Personally I haven't used them for 3 or 4 years, but Trela or other top lucarios use them so they can't be that bad. I prefer to roll instead of spotdodging, i believe that rolling is like spotdodging and moving at the same time, so i find it less punishable. Anyway don't listen to me too much and do whatever you feel you have to!

#How to practice:

well i can tell you what i do. My first two years i didn't do a single roll so i could find more options with my character. I'm not telling you to do so, just, if you feel that you have already mastered something, try finding more options for the same situation and it might help you in the future.
I like training with bots. Their reaction time is good enough as for noticing if something you do is safe or a lucky/experienced guy would punish you for it. For example, you will know that you aren't doing a grab correctly if they roll behind you. Don't play to win the matches, play to improve your way of moving and acting.
Also go to tournaments and smashfests
and that's all, i hope i helped and i hope i didn't commit many mistakes as english isn't my first language. I also hope you don't think i'm stupid because of the things i said lol
overall nice lucario, continue practicing!

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Nau! Your comments were extremely well worded and reasoned! Your english is first-class! Question - would a spot dodge punish the landing- side b? I was under the impression that the side b covered that option since the flames came out at a time that would punish the spot dodge?

You're totally right as far as the ftilt-dtilt goes. I have issues using those moves because I feel uncomfortable sitting on the ground in front of snake (or any character like marth, mk, even maybe king ddd) since in general his options are better. How do you set up a situation where that is a useful option? dash + shield potentially covers ftilt or jab by snake but the knockback from ftilt would cause my own ftilt/dtilt to be out of range right? Air dodging in is kind of like rolling imo - maybe a little better since its less expect-able and has more mix ups that are a possibility.

In general I would love some advice on how to get in close range with my ftilt/dtilt/jab game other than rolling.

Nau

Smash Rookie
I don't really remember if snake can punish sideB with spotdodge, it depends on the character actually. If i'm correct he can dodge the whole sideB if he spotdodges as soon as your fair hits his shield, and he will be dodging the grab and powershielding the flames. I can try it later and PM you if you want xD. Or just look at the frame data.
(Some time later): Well just tried it and i think he can spotdodge the grab and powershield the flames. Anyway it's not easy so if he takes that option he will mostly get hit.
and for the ftilt thing, i try to use it whenever he has a grenade and he is looking towards me, so i don't make it explode. If he doesn't have a grenade, as you said, he can dash shield and punish. If he is looking back with the grenade pulled, you will probably make it explode and get hit. Also I use it for punishing at the ledge. snake's ledge options are limited and you can take advantage of that; a well-spaced ftilt covers ledge attack, normal getting up (don't know the real name of that lol) and idk if it can cover jump, but you will have time to punish a roll if he didn't take one of the options previously mentioned (for example with a pivot grab or whatever). You can also use f-smash in the ledge but the advantage of the ftilt is that even if they PS the first hit the second one will send them offstage again, thus giving you stage control again. But use fsmash sometimes, if you time it well it will cover almost everything. Also, f-tilt punishes air-dodge landings.
And for d-tilt, the only two uses i've found for it in this MU are the following: first, punishing landings with grenade when you don't have time for doing aerials (uair for example won't hit the grenade but you must have space for using it), it won't make the grenade explode and it puts snake back in the air at a certain percentage. Second, when you jab-jab snake near the ledge, your only option to continue the combo before he grabs the ledge is dtilt. I know you were asking for approaches with d-tilt but i'm sorry, i don't think you can really approach with that move.
And for jab, I only use it when i've commited some fault before and i need a quick move. Like for example, i roll behind the enemy and i notice that he can punish it, i jab and do a follow up (if you watched my videos vs the peach you might have noticed it). I don't think jab's hitbox can be big enough as for using it for approaching. But it's frame 6, so it can be useful sometimes! When you feel you're getting punished, you can use it sometimes, instead of spotdodge or holding shield. Take it as another option.
Finally, i believe i haven't helped you really with approaching. So i'll try to tell you some options. For example, try doing full hop fair sometimes instead of short hop fair. Experiment with your possibilities. Full hop fair to dair is not a bad idea, you have another jump for escaping. This doesn't really work on FD for example because the lack of platforms makes lucario's full jump very punishable. But try it in other stages. And also try, for example, short hop fair to reverse B, cancel it before touching the ground, do something else, idk, not be predictable, even if you're not completely safe, speed is a factor which can help you not getting punished.
hope i helped again. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Analysis Nau Lucario
Vs Marcs (Peach)
I noticed in the first 48 seconds that you like using your second jump a lot in a particular way – right before you might land you go for a spaced fair on second jump. It’s a nice spacing tool, but because you’re using the second jump so frequently it may be something you could consider doing less/more carefully. It leaves you with less options, hence is punishable by peach.
1:09, very nice gutsy edge guard – the bair afterwards is risky but I understand that it’s a risk you could take on occasion
1:35 excellent KO setup
1:44 Not sure if another fair to Nair would have worked, I think it would though because I’ve seen it done in other matchs. The percents/hitstun should be studied. Watch Richi first match first set last stock of gw to see what I’m talking about.
1:50 Nice b reversal+wavebounce! But you don’t bounce as much as you could if you timed this better. Because you’re inputting the opposite direction first you’re slowing your horizontal momentum. You have to flick it slightly so that doesn’t happen. You also do a full jump which I think you didn’t mean to do. You are committed to the aura sphere so you can only air dodge on landing you have to be careful how you space that. 1:56 very nice nair out of shield! I’m stealing that although I need to learn the use for that.
2:11 much better b reversal+wave bounce! This is what I’m talking about at 1:50. 2:15 again excellent. 2:24 lol at the balloon – good use of the glide toss though.
2:36 another example of unnecessary usage of the second jump in my opinion- feel free to disagree with this! Just wanted to bring it to your attention because it looks like a habit to me.
2:45 –Rollfest leads to KO - J but be careful with the rolling. You haven’t done it too much up until this point so I understand that this was an effective mindgame.
2:50 – bad airdodge – you should try hard not to get hit when the opponent respawns! This is lucario’s time to shine! Focus! 2:53 – roll habit – you rolled after the item was thrown which means if you were reacting to it you wouldn’t have rolled straight into it. Rolling away is safe in general except when your opponent can throw something to cover the distance faster.
3:20 – consider fair to nair to fair to nair in order to extend your combo. Dair doesn’t really allow much follow ups.
3:45 – nice grab! Didn’t see that coming so I’m sure your opponent didn’t either.
3:52 nice edge guarding!
4:14 – again nice!
So far the biggest strength I see in your play is your spacing, movement, and edge guarding. I think the rolling is a tad bit overdone because you don’t seem to be rolling in reaction to things but rather instinctively. Logic, a really great olimar player, told me when I was just picking up this game that every roll and/or sidestep should be thought of as a read and not as a defense mechanism. Lucario’s roll is great so I don’t think you should use it less, just more thoughtfully. You should also work on some way of staying alive when your opponent respawns – I like to use lots of wave bouncing to get away or just go straight to the ledge to wait out my opponent’s invincibility.
Game 2:
5:33 – this dair was not good- I imagine it was a mistake. Take a look though to see if it is at all related to any habits you might have.
5:37 To me this roll was predictable, although your opponent did not predict it.
6:23 this was a bad wave bounce – you bounced after you saw the opponent charging a smash which means this was not thought out. You were forced to air dodge straight away to avoid the up smash but had you not bounced you could have shot that aura sphere straight at peaches’ face and punish her for attempting to read you.
6:33 – again predictable roll – it’s still working however so I can’t argue.
I noticed that at several points a turnip would fall on your head after you dair. Perhaps this is something to be mindful of since it tended to swing the momentum in Peach’s favor when it happened.
8:34 – you get off the ledge with a fair – you like this option a lot and have used it before. Be careful you don’t get baited into using it like here.
Tough loss- I’m sure you were expecting the second hit of dair to connect.
9:12 – nice instant toss
9:35 – I felt like this was a good roll because I didn’t see it coming. You are moving very well this match in general so I am having a harder time reading your motions. Your item control is impressive!
10:10 this should have been a landing force palm – I use this in situations where I fair and my opponent continues to shield because they are afraid of dair. You can actually landing force palm on reaction when you see this- you don’t have to go into the situation planning to do the landing force palm as you did earlier in this match. It’s a great option to look out for at kill percents because opponents will be more likely to shield excessively.
11:03 – now this is how to use your aura! You could have double hop faired to extend the combo more instead of nairing right away. 11:30 – like this!
Item play – you are very technically proficient- but you always throw items away right away! Try holding them – your opponent will tend to shield expecting a throw which enables you to use force palm or ASC to punish their shield. This is a great option vs diddy.
13:10 – good roll – here you’re reading! 13:18 – think how to live longer! Make your opponent work for that KO!
14:15 I like the dash attack option because I didn’t see it coming but you’re faking an aura sphere which means your opponent is already shielding – that covers the dash attack already- maybe you can dash grab instead?
14:28 that was silly of peach to do

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Conclusion – Excellent fast lucario! Technically very proficient! Great spacing! I think you should take a look at:
1- Rolling more carefully
2- Surviving longer and doing more damage when you take the opponent’s stalk. Maybe practice setting yourself to 120 percent and see what you can do from there!
3- Using the second jump carefully
4- LANDING FORCE PALM GRAB! – I saw you go for this once in the third match albeit unsuccessfully – this move is so good though! I recommend you put this into your game more because its really a good option cover – full hop to dair to landing force palm grab instead of a second dair or nair.

Btw can you take a look at my spacing? I always feel there is something I'm missing about how I space my fairs because I'm always outprioritized by characters like ness or marth when I try spacing my fairs. Any tips in that regard?

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Conclusion – Excellent fast lucario! Technically very proficient! Great spacing! I think you should take a look at:
1- Rolling more carefully
2- Surviving longer and doing more damage when you take the opponent’s stalk. Maybe practice setting yourself to 120 percent and see what you can do from there!
3- Using the second jump carefully
4- LANDING FORCE PALM GRAB! – I saw you go for this once in the third match albeit unsuccessfully – this move is so good though! I recommend you put this into your game more because its really a good option cover – full hop to dair to landing force palm grab instead of a second dair or nair. You mentioned that Snake can sidestep to punish side b- but you can actually punish the side step on reaction with dair since the second hit will connect.

Btw can you take a look at my spacing? I always feel there is something I'm missing about how I space my fairs because I'm always outprioritized by characters like ness or marth when I try spacing my fairs. Any tips in that regard?

Top Bottom