• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Hi !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_p3tPPhwmY
please ,help me , i have a big tourney soon.
(In this MM i tried a more defensive style and i try new things because i won without any difficulties in freeplay.)

If you want more serious MMs in tournament:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpyTGtCP5k4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ji7YuRuEs
Hi LucarioMaster!

Congratulations on continued improvement! I've seen your lucario grow for a while now and it continues to impress. Also, I had the pleasure of meeting your fellow countryman Nives at a NY tournament. Its nice to see Europe train lucarios!

As far as your play, I agree mostly with what Hichez said. I assume the set with LLS you treated as practice. You didn't seem to be reading/paying attention to the falco player for the majority of the set. On multiple occasions you didn't edgehog him when you had the opportunity (and I believe you were aware of this but simply chose not to edge hog him).

I'm not going to comment on your set with Nives. You played well obviously.

VS Hoejja, I compliment you on your optimal use of the landing force palm (both from front and back). Your mobility is on full display and I believe this is your best playing from a technical as well as intellectual level. However, I have to disagree with Hichez on that you are doing better than Trela. I think your opponent is still not a very skilled DDD and in the least is not aware of the matchup. The most glaring thing is that he doesn't powershield. Against a ddd that does powershield a lot of options you are choosing would simply not be safe if they expect those options. Furthermore a DDD that knows the matchup will break out of FP chain grabs so be careful with those.

Here are some specific comments:

1:05 really nice wavebounce and smart choice as an option. Be careful you don't do this too frequently because if DDD reads it you put yourself in a really bad position (You have to up B and you can get edge hogged easily). I don't think you do this too much though.

Thus far I'm noticing that you have some habits. For one I think you tend to have bursts of trying to use one specific move over and over again. For example at the beginning of the match you went twice in a row for the air dodge to landing grab option. Be careful that you don't announce your intent by repeating the same option multiple times in close succession.

1:57 Again you start out at low percent fishing for the same option (force palm landing grab after crossup). I think you have a habit of going for this. ITS A GREAT OPTION but don't be predictable (against this player that is not a problem.)

I also notice that this DDD player likes to roll from the ledge a lot.... bad option for ddd

3:07 see you're going for the same thing again at low percents. ddd's sidestep is broken so you won't be able to land that option if he reads you (or just randomly sidesteps because he feels like it)

4:14 this is really good as a mix up since he probably expects you to try to cross him up. Great job

5:11 risky, but on this stage its not so bad since you can cling. Nice read.

5 :17 see how you did the same thing 5 times in a row? - against a player that can read better this will get punished really hard.

5:48 I don't think this is worth commenting from this point. When DDD is trying to swallowcide you over and over again its pretty obvious you've won =D

7:05 I've noticed this a couple times - you don't wait for his invincibility to end =D be careful of that.

8:45 habit again (still works against this guy though)

I wanted to mention here some options that I think you could consider adding to your game that I don't see you using. 1 sh Fair to footstool to dair (if the footstool doesn't connect you can usually escape safely with a wavebounce from the second jump if you think your opponent is following your momentum)
2) try to catch DDD in the ASC if he is shielding a lot or sidesteping or if you manage to catch him in a combo with fair when he is at mid percent.
3) try to fair to crossup Bair as a mix up to nair since the timing changes and its less punishable on landing (you push DDD away if he shields it)

These are just some mixups to consider! good stuff!

Honestly at your level of tech skill the thing that's holding you back is your ability to read/make intelligent plays and not have habits. I think, like me, you're really infatuated with the flashyness of Trela's combos and you're trying to emulate them as much as possible. The problem that I see is that you make a decision in your head of what combo you want to get and then you start fishing for it (against these players it works!) Try thinking more about what options your opponent may want to use to get to a better position, or how they might try to kill you, or how they might try to get damage on you at low percent and try to figure out the best way to punish the options that are best for your opponent.

I look forward to seeing further improvement in your game!

I also wanted to post this message I received from Trela that talks about choosing options at certain percents and avoiding a situation where a combo is broken by short hitstun:

Trela wrote:

I used to have the same exact problem that you are having right now, as well. You'll get the Fair on them and then be like, "Wait wtf? How did they just shield my Nair/Dair in the middle of my combo?" I Learned that it's all based on you and your opponents percentages.
You see, if you try and go for a Fair to Nair/Dair combo on someone while they're at a low percentage (0 to about 20%), there won't be enough hitstun in the Fair for your combo to work. Even when you've got a lot of aura going and you're at a high percentage like you said, it's still not enough to finish the combo. This is why you see me go for the Force Palm mix-ups instead. They're expecting you to go for another hit after the Fair so they can shield it and punish you, but if you grab their shield from behind with a Force Palm.......now we're talk'n!
As for the use of the Aura Sphere charge, it also depends on percentages. If they're at a high enough percentage to where my Nair will knock them too far back for me to string another combo together, then I pull out the ASC on them in order to continue the combo for a little extra damage. I also gotta make sure that I have one semi-charged up and if I have enough aura going so the ASC will be big enough to catch my opponent in it.
And that's basically how I work my combos lol. Hoped I helped any

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
General Comments vs. LLS

- On smashville just because the platform is above you doesn't mean you should jump and platform cancel. Seriously you wasted so much emery and potential pressure doing this.

On a similar note chill on tech skill. Your opponet doesn't care if you can do a bunch of fancy stuff it they can read/punish they will.

-Great tech skill. You inspire me to get back into training mode, sort of, I don't like the technical side of fighting games. :(

- If you are hanging on the ledge and and spacie is under you recovering with UP-B just drop down and fair. It is a free stock. You did this at the very end. I have no idea why you didn't do this ealier.

- @ 12:25 you could have just kept fairing. He would have died and you could have up-B and survided longer then he would have. But very nice kill at the end.

-I can tell the falco isn't experienced. Generally lucario doesn't beat falco at all close range. Pretty much falco's frame 2 jab beat all of our options. So it requires us to use out juggle game. You did a good job with the juggling. Just be aware that top level falco player will play a lot more campier and use jab mixup a lot more.

General Comments vs. Hoejja
- OMG you playstyle is so much different than mine. Holy crap. I just play a extremely campy lucario in this MU. The options you choose were appropriate.

-I think this is the definitive video on how to play aggressive in the DDD MU. Defiantly better showing than trela.

But really you get the award for the most technical lucario. When are you going to come to the states? Apex 2014? I would love to see you at a large tournament. You have inspired my spirit. Keep up the great work.

Thank you already have criticized my videos, I would try to take into account everything you've told me, I understand what you say a little, so I will ask my friend Aivie to translate (he is very good in English) and thank you to Konrad too. If someone else wants to help me still critical, he can do.
And sorry if I do not punish all against LLS, I mostly thought of fun because it's one of my best friend IRL.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
VS Hoejja, I compliment you on your optimal use of the landing force palm (both from front and back). Your mobility is on full display and I believe this is your best playing from a technical as well as intellectual level. However, I have to disagree with Hichez on that you are doing better than Trela. I think your opponent is still not a very skilled DDD and in the least is not aware of the matchup. The most glaring thing is that he doesn't powershield. Against a ddd that does powershield a lot of options you are choosing would simply not be safe if they expect those options. Furthermore a DDD that knows the matchup will break out of FP chain grabs so be careful with those.

Trela wrote:

I used to have the same exact problem that you are having right now, as well. You'll get the Fair on them and then be like, "Wait wtf? How did they just shield my Nair/Dair in the middle of my combo?" I Learned that it's all based on you and your opponents percentages.
You see, if you try and go for a Fair to Nair/Dair combo on someone while they're at a low percentage (0 to about 20%), there won't be enough hitstun in the Fair for your combo to work. Even when you've got a lot of aura going and you're at a high percentage like you said, it's still not enough to finish the combo. This is why you see me go for the Force Palm mix-ups instead. They're expecting you to go for another hit after the Fair so they can shield it and punish you, but if you grab their shield from behind with a Force Palm.......now we're talk'n!
As for the use of the Aura Sphere charge, it also depends on percentages. If they're at a high enough percentage to where my Nair will knock them too far back for me to string another combo together, then I pull out the ASC on them in order to continue the combo for a little extra damage. I also gotta make sure that I have one semi-charged up and if I have enough aura going so the ASC will be big enough to catch my opponent in it.
And that's basically how I work my combos lol. Hoped I helped any
Well the only instance where a top level lucario beat a respected DDD is Trela vs. Vex. In that game Vex was playing awful, he was dropping chain grabs etc.. Hoejja seemed to have enough of a foundation in the game to be taken seriously. Sure, he didn't know the lucario MU, but high level lucario play is defiantly rare. Of course there were more mix-ups he could have done(you could make that comment on pretty much every match ever), but he consistently executed things he needed to do.

That being said further knowledge of mix-ups can only help. Trela insight on why he chooses the options he does is very insightful. I will defiantly reread and put into practice his ideas until I have them internalized.

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
I dont think i played agressive, i remember that MM was scheduled way before the tourney so i could take a look at his play style in doubles and freeplay (that MM was played just before the simples pools were revealed ), and i saw him punishing a LOT of MKs or Marths that were trying to hit him offstage using DDD-cides and my friend Gantz said to me "be careful with his DDDcide", so when i saw this, i tried to keep my distances, to not approach offstage (this is why i didnt use bair tho), after i played the MU like i always do, i got experience vs DDD since my best friend (Nerathim) plays him, so, if you look on YI when i lost my first stock, i focused a lot and tried to camp and to not to approach too much because i could get DDDcide, but im the kind of lucario that isnt scared to go offstage againts anybody (unless MK of course) so, i dont think i played agressive but if you guys think so ! lol

Another set , I tried to avoid what had reproached me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSbg_t0Kzo

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
You know I like the idea of saying what you did in a certain situation and why you did it.

I had no idea that you were being campy against D3 in YI and after seeing the match again, it all made sense. I know about the DDDcide, but didn't fear it as much as I should, and now I know better and how to avoid it.

We should all take the time to explain what was done in every situation and explain why it was done and not just plop a video and request a critique.

This will help with communication and as we all know, this is the key to success.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I'm not sure still. I just rewatched lucariomaster's set vs. Hoejja, and it seemed to me that LM took the initiative a lot more. A lot of it was LM punishing Hoejja bad shield habits which is found often in DDD players.

One thing I saw interesting this time around was the amount of shield pokes LM was able to get. I fear the DDD that angles his shield.

Browny

Smash Hater
Hi !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_p3tPPhwmY
please ,help me , i have a big tourney soon.
(In this MM i tried a more defensive style and i try new things because i won without any difficulties in freeplay.)

If you want more serious MMs in tournament:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpyTGtCP5k4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ji7YuRuEs
I dont normally post here, but im going to say this. I'm not being mean, but if you ask for help, I think this is important.

As soon as I saw you being all flashy with the platform cancels, I started counting.

8 tries. It took 8 separate instances of platform cancelling until you actually landed a hit out of it. 3 of them got you punished while 4 resulted in nothing at all. So youre operating at a 12.5% success rate and a 37.5% fail rate. Its not a fair trade. My general philosophy with smash is make EVERY move count. Every bit of mental energy you expend doing flashy tricks which dont result in the enemy being hit is that much more tired you will become over the course of a set, and the entire tournament.

You should only use platform cancels when NO OTHER OPTION is better. Funnily enough that applies to the entire game in general with option selecting, but its especially bad with platform cancels since people have a habit of going 'oh there's the platform! I've only got once chance to make this work' and as if its a magnet, run to it, do the tech, achieve nothing and repeat as it comes back. This isnt just you or anything, countless people are the same

You need to take an objective look at your playstyle and figure out, is it honestly worth it? All the damage you take (from lasers etc), all the buttons you press, all the timing you need to be perfect, was it worth it to land that one single hit when it did work? You could either attempt to improve your platform cancelling game to increase how often it actually works, or you could stop going for it all the time and use countless other options instead.

Basically what I'm saying is you go for the platform cancel so often and most of the time it was utterly unnecessary. Be more careful when you use it, and if you can't guarantee a punish out of it, maybe try another option?

Please allow me to demonstrate my point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBGffJfBkd0
Game 1 here (9:51) you have 2 of the trickiest, most flashy players in the history of smash.
In the entire 5 minute match there were a grand total of 2 platform cancels by each player, 3 of which were done for absolutely no reason at all as the enemy was not anywhere near them and one which was deliberate, however didnt result in anything. Please observe how as the platform passed over the dozens of times but neither player went for it, they just completely ignored it. They knew each and every time, there was a better way to use their time and moveset.

Thats the difference, and what stuck out to me so much in your smashville matches. Your play was constantly broken up every 10-15 seconds for no reason at all. Try to be more like those players. Just... ignore the platform. If you see a legitimate punish you can land with a platform cancel, go for it. But please please please, do not go for a platform cancel and THEN hope something will come from it. Because it just wont.

- Edit

Everything I said also applies to your ledge techs.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Hi Alex,

Can you choose a specific match that you want feedback on? I don't have time to watch all of the matches, maybe one ore two =)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hi some match against a friend
Pikachu lucario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMCB_yfcEjM
Game 1~
0:13 Around here you FF AD towards your opponent, punishing you for a grab setup but then you get a Downward momentum D-air to re-punish pika :)
0:22 - 0:28 Liking your strings and taking stage control here good stuff :)
0:40 From the way pika DI'd all you needed was a stationary grab or FP
1:19 Crawling too good~:cool:
1:31 Getting vertical launch like like that always expect to time AD over F-air, that or DI harder to the right/left :(
1:50 I like the F-tilt "feeling" pika out
1:55 Here you jabbed a bit too much and didn't crouch cancel any of them to follow-up with Grab/FP/tilts/Fsmash :(
2:20 Getting hit by Thunder due to AD'ing towards Pika, could of spaced away a bit or DT into the thunder if you're too committed. But np only 10% :)
3:12 Really sexy RDT there, almost punished Pika's Tjolt but still got the Fsmash kill good stuff right there :pimp:
3:36 Committed too much for that dash grab getting you punished by D-smash :(
4:22 Amazing FCAS catching Pika's falling AD animation :pikachu:

Overall, gg game 1 Nives, I liked your poking with F-tilt that match and saw potential DT there to finish that stock but still cleaned up Pika's stocks good

Game 2~
4:52 Enjoyed the pivot grab to mindgaming setup with your dashwalking :)
4:56 You performed an AD here pretty early, if you would of followed-up with a N-air right after your AD, it would of connected :p
5:02 Watched you F-air to a ASC landing grab, Niiiiice :grin:
5:37 Good FCAS kill
6:03 Liked that you waited during your ASC to shoot it right at the stage's ground level to make the AS travel faster/longer, too bad Tjolt nullified it :(
6:24 - 6:30 Liked your aggression here pressuring Pika off-stage with your edge-guarding
6:38 - 6:40 Liked your shield > OoS U-tilt to punish Pika's D-air :)
6:42 Really enjoying your DT option there punishing Pika's own Tjolt almost snagging a kill :estatic:
7:12 Nice try on DT punishing :(
7:15 - 7:20 Lol.......EdgeNonsense XD idk what to say other than good N-air to finish it :confused:
7:25 Good double Doudge roll, gtfo of there XD
7:52 In that particular scenario where you jabbed twice, a dash grab was needed over a stationary grab due to Pika's DI'ing away from you
8:37 Shooting a FCAS like that at such close range is too ballsy especially when you stringed F-air that close to pika
8:41 Depressed that you lost :urg:

Overall, still a gg game 2 Nives, this match you had some fairly good reads here and there, kudos but some of your spacing wasn't safe and most times you'd land with F-airs that don't auto cancel the ground leaving you vulnerable to being punished with U-smash or Grab.

Game 3~
9:05 Nice try on your Jab>Jab>DashDance grab, was a good mixup but Pika might of dodged it anyways with his spotdodge regardless
9:08 - 9:12 Wonderful follow-ups with your grabs, I liked the U-Throw then D-throw :)
9:15 - 9:25 You're doing really well here spacing all your moves and reading Pika's dodge rolls, good stuff man :pimp:
9:57 O_o holy snap that insta-F-throw to a quick wallcling to that dirt mound follow-up looked smexy, only D-air ruined it:( I think that F-air looked like it would of connected
10:09 Good Edgehog to a punishing N-air :)
10:20 Almost a solid D-smash read for a kill good try
10:26 Here seeing you bend ES safely back and then edge-guard with Wiffed 2nd Hitbox D-air to a follow-up of solid N-air connect.:smirk:
10:36 Lol That Dashdance grab F-throw :smirk: Didn't know if you almost missed out on punish, or just styled a bit
10:44 Good late AS. Did 16%, broken :glare:
10:49 Nice AD there, dodging Thunder to the max~ :)
11:25 - 11:30 D:!!!!!! Nives no teching on Windmill you scare me~ but good thing you DI'd upward on the last hit bringing you on top of the windmill safely
11:52 - 11:54 Really nice shield poke with D-smash and F-smash pushing pika back fishing for your kill
11:57 Really awesome trading with an off-screen angle, however you unfortunately died with lack of vertical DI and possibly could of helped if you used DJ + D-air instead of F-air on the horizontal momentum launch. Still nonetheless that evens up the stock GJ
12:07 Like your choice of moveset used with D-tilt to a back jump D-air
12:09 - 12:12 Liking your F-tilt poke to WOAH FP? Nice. Nice~ Nice! Enjoyed your follow-up of F-tilt>FP>sourspot Dash attack > U-tilt! 28% damage combo rack up:pimp:
12:34 Giving Pika props for that combo, tripping you with Jab and Dtilt to a Usmash, but that U-smash seemed shieldable somewhat, and you float away at first but then start to float towards the first thunder which sets you up to get thundered another time for an early Star KO :( Other than that, sometimes Pika clutches like that~ Owell

Overall, you had some really good follow-ups in this match great stuff, and you improved your spacing in this match too. But that last kill was just unfortunate for you, great finish for your friend.
GGs Thanks for Playing~

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
I've only watched your set against Snake because it's hard to judge wifi games, I don't know how laggy it was. You have to do more Bairs and Dthrows and try to play safe when you're at high percents ( mainly on FD ). You should also try to feint your opponent when you're spacing, and to do less Full hop to Fair car it will take time to land so this is not good.

Btw, if you want, There are videos of my last tournament when I got 13th in singles and 4th in double.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEhFmQos8i8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LoOVHJqaCQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdoCmp6ZQ0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWKTW3kFaco

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Thanks lm! Please look at the other two matches if you get a chance because the connection was pretty good and I think they show me at my best (flashiest)

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
Ok , i will try to look that and I will give my opinion when I have time, and you can still criticize the videos of my last tournament too :)

tekkie

Smash Master
  • never upB if you don't have to; the BSL is lame as hell
  • be quick and accurate on punishes. there were a ton of times where he/you sat in shield right in front of each other and instead of a grab/tilt/anything oos you just ran away
  • if you're in an advantageous position, use it. if ness is recovering and lands on the SV platform and sits in shield, pressure it.
  • don't roll towards your opponent
i think in general there are two things you should really work on: your movement, and knowing what to do when you're in a good position. there were a lot of times where you should have been putting more pressure on and times when you should have been more careful getting away. knowing when you're in either situation needs to be relatively instinctive.

also, i'd recommend messing around in training mode. not fighting CPUs or anything. just open training mode and run around. practice sh fair, pivot grabs, fast falling, everything you need to make your movement fluid and quick.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
thanks tekkie! That was helpful advice.

any chance I could ask you to elaborate on what it means to have "good movement?" I like practicing wavebouncing and pivot grabs but what else would you recommend?

tekkie

Smash Master
just learning how to move fluidly and quickly. sh, fair, fast fall. sh, bair, fast fall to autocancel. sh rising fair > fast falling nair. stuff like that. b-reversing an aura sphere out of a dash. quick RARs. things like that.

it's a mix between having complete control of your character at all times and being able to throw out the attacks you need as soon as you need them

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMP6i7ZFbEv-ds-n89aEsj804ymXOcY1

There are a bunch of matches here from an online tournament I played. Unfortunately the matches vs mario were extremely laggy. nonetheless I still think I could use advice. I noticed he was rolling spotdodging and dsmashing a lot. I tried to focus on reading these habits but I think the combination of lag and my inexperience caused me to play worse when I was trying to read these habits than when I was playing normally. Any tips are appreciated =D

Tiger Shark

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I am a newish player and I wonder if anyone can help me improve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKs4n6wI8Q

This is the first time I've watched myself play so I've noticed some things. I think I should probably:
- stop rolling away reflexively when I could attack, and stop rolling so much in general
- stop side-stepping reflexively
- take better advantage of u-tilt opportunities
- recover more creatively/less predictably
- practice tech so I don't make so many tech errors and so I can improve my movement and expand my options

Does this sound reasonable? General advice and also advice on the Toon Link matchup would me much appreciated :)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hello, I am a newish player and I wonder if anyone can help me improve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKs4n6wI8Q

This is the first time I've watched myself play so I've noticed some things. I think I should probably:
- stop rolling away reflexively when I could attack, and stop rolling so much in general
- stop side-stepping reflexively
- take better advantage of u-tilt opportunities
- recover more creatively/less predictably
- practice tech so I don't make so many tech errors and so I can improve my movement and expand my options

Does this sound reasonable? General advice and also advice on the Toon Link matchup would me much appreciated :)

Fear not shark I can assist you on this let me watch and comment here~
Game 1~
0:00 Woah Nice Yoshi's Island right off the bat good stuff Yoshi's is a great stage for lucario for several reasons moving on
0:13 You have a good start nothing too fancy and you have basic fundamentals down for approaching and projectile poking
0:14 Here you sit and spot-dodge but whiff a grab opportunity doing a turn-around grab on accident so try and space yourself with a pivot grab as an option or just a grab
0:19 Sitting in spot-dodge animation you miss an opportunity to U-tilt while Toon Link fakes you out with a spaced Z-air
0:21 This isn't a big deal but practice not landing with F-airs especially like that one. If you have to land with an aerial in this kind of situation use N-air since auto-cancels
0:22-0:23 You roll here and throw out a jab and whiff it which is unsafe and could lead you to being punished. Space better to run forward then rolling behind or something
0:29-0:30 You rolled behind a aggressive Z-air approach nice :) But then you just jab and roll back away which is safe yes but you could of approached with almost anything and challenged
0:31 You roll towards him and get hit by Boomerang so lesson learned don't roll towards your opponent :grin:
0:35 you both are well spaced away and this doesn't mean much but every input counts and you had a chance to ASC (aura sphere charge)
0:40 Here you oddly landed with a lag landed F-air work on using either N-air AD (Air-Dodge)
0:41- 0:42 You straight up Rolled twice away and usually that's safe but he read you doing that and just ran towards you to grab with chain and punished so mix up your movement and prevent prediction
0:48 Glad you respected his B-air onslaught and your OoS (out of shield) Full hop B-air was okay but it wasn't the right option to use for that situation practice OoS SH N-airs they're really helpful
1:01 - 1:03 That Uthrow setup was nice and you almost had the read but he avoided combo damage here but after that you powershield his Usmash which was nice but you didn't follow up with it so react faster and punish with Utilt.
1:05 You don't have to use up your double jump so early just to be above him and a lot of lucario's make the mistake of using up their jumps and D-airing on top of people too close to footjump off them to keep D-airing or get away
1:28 Nice try on get-up attack to FCAS (Fully Charged Aura Sphere) too bad he DI'd too high :(
1:31 the combo string was nice until you used F-air to land. N-air FF'd (Fast Falled) would of finished a good combo
1:39 Nice on barely making it back but practice your UpB recovery to make it bend some so at least you don't get the bad landing of ExtremeSpeed
1:45 Random Usmash Dx Got killed bummer =(
2:30 Don't roll towards him because of that you got pressured and put up shield and rolled back away where you began so take it easy Rollcario :grin:
2:55 - 2:57 Here Toon Link got launched off screen and you decided to stay safe and wait on stage but actually Lucario has great gimp ability to string F-airs and recover back while Toon Link wouldn't of made it but for now that's alright since you got the D-air Kill at 3:04
3:20 you quickly use your second jump out of fear/desperation and get punished for it being in a bad spot. Take it slow and easy and back away some to bait him off stage for you. On the other note you Di'd well against all his F-airs so well done :cool:
3:30 Now here's where I wanna help most. Firstly you DI'd not that great and is now in a bad spot to recover. In this dire situation of recovering with Lucario against someone who is edge-hogging you with good reasons it's wise to take advantage of Yoshi's Island and Extreme Speed to the wall under Toon Link where you can cling and Walljump up in safety. Can't stress this enough to practice practice practice your Extreme Speed to cling and walljump on stages like this. Really makes Lucario a better character than what he seems off stage getting edge-guarded
3:51 Landed with F-air but it landed and pushed him back preventing your habit being punished Good Stuff:shades:
4:12 Rolling towards him not spaced well to be behind him putting you in a bad place
4:49 as close as the game was you didn't bend the ES to grab ledge and got KO'd but still good game
Game 2~
5:50 Interesting Force Palm option nice try but a little unsafe
6:28 You did a full jabjabjab combo on shield which isn't safe. Jab cancel and follow up with anything like Forcepalm, grab, SH F-air etc.
6:32 A Dsmash read is okay but on a floaty character like TL don't eggspect him to be hit from that :yoshi2:
6:45 Misses UpB and you use U-air and miss barely, but in the airspace between you two F-air strings looked better to use especially since his 0% is very prone to F-air strings
7:41 Rolled toward him bad spacing but you're doing better on reducing the times doing this
7:47 That situation screamed danger danger! You had a choice of diagonally ESing to the platform or just ledge grab with ES be more careful
8:09 I like your effort to Force Palm more but the bad spacing on it dealt a minor punish but nothing big
9:14 starting from here your DI suffers putting you in not-so-great places on screen where it gets you behind on stage control
9:21 Sakurai!!!!!! That trip put him in a bad place but you chose to roll away :( You might of had a chance to Fsmash or stutterstep your Fsmash to hit. Even a baby aura sphere shot would of been safe
9:23 Got hit but your DI makes you suffer putting you in a bad place practice your DI launches
9:24 DI higher from N-air to prevent this. He took advantage of it edge-guarding you and Edge-hogged last stock. This scenario is slightly debatable because when you get launched horizontally it's wise to second jump asap but you weren't launched too hard to KO so it varies on when to use second jump depending how the opponent approaches this and free-falls down to meet you halfway and knock you away. But for this conclusion analyze the situation more and know timing of when and when not to jump. Ggs

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
looks like mason covered all the details :) I can try to give you some general tips however. The list of things you want to improve is pretty much right on the money. You seem to not utilize certain options lucario has such as running and b reversing ASC on the ground. If you observe your first 50 seconds of match one you will notice you tend to roll away + ASC a lot. This is not a terrible option because it is relatively safe, but when you overuse an option it lets your opponent get used to punishing it. the TL quickly started to dash in and power shield punishing you for habitually shooting aura spheres in that situation. In reality toon link doesn't even have to approach in that situation because he can outcamp you with his multiple projectiles. Most toon links will rely on this to accumulate percentage on you and not take risky options in approaching you.

Anyway if you tried b reversing on the ground it would make you much less predictable because you could do that at any distance to toon link while rolling always makes you move a certain distance. Furthermore, try anticipating that when your opponent sees you sitting on the ground charging your aura sphere, they will want to dash in and shield. You can punish this by waiting a little bit longer with the ASC and catch them when they jump or roll. Alternatively you can cancel the ASC and approach while they are in their shield waiting for you to approach. While on the topic of b reversals, I'd recommend utilizing wavebounces, b reversals and b pivots as great options for getting around the stage in unpredictable ways especially in the air. Try looking through the lucario options thread that covers a lot of things you're not doing at the moment.

Looking at a later part of the video... yeah you overuse rolls a lot. I'd recommend playing for a while focusing on not using rolls at all. Try jumping backwards, pivot grabing etcet. Every time TL got close to you you ended up rolling. Just look for other options you can do.

3:34 DEFINITELY wall cling here. What Mason said :)

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
looks like mason covered all the details :) I can try to give you some general tips however. The list of things you want to improve is pretty much right on the money. You seem to not utilize certain options lucario has such as running and b reversing ASC on the ground. If you observe your first 50 seconds of match one you will notice you tend to roll away + ASC a lot. This is not a terrible option because it is relatively safe, but when you overuse an option it lets your opponent get used to punishing it. the TL quickly started to dash in and power shield punishing you for habitually shooting aura spheres in that situation. In reality toon link doesn't even have to approach in that situation because he can outcamp you with his multiple projectiles. Most toon links will rely on this to accumulate percentage on you and not take risky options in approaching you.

Anyway if you tried b reversing on the ground it would make you much less predictable because you could do that at any distance to toon link while rolling always makes you move a certain distance. Furthermore, try anticipating that when your opponent sees you sitting on the ground charging your aura sphere, they will want to dash in and shield. You can punish this by waiting a little bit longer with the ASC and catch them when they jump or roll. Alternatively you can cancel the ASC and approach while they are in their shield waiting for you to approach. While on the topic of b reversals, I'd recommend utilizing wavebounces, b reversals and b pivots as great options for getting around the stage in unpredictable ways especially in the air. Try looking through the lucario options thread that covers a lot of things you're not doing at the moment.

Looking at a later part of the video... yeah you overuse rolls a lot. I'd recommend playing for a while focusing on not using rolls at all. Try jumping backwards, pivot grabing etcet. Every time TL got close to you you ended up rolling. Just look for other options you can do.

3:34 DEFINITELY wall cling here. What Mason said :)
4:27 I recommend using your up B a bit under the stage because TL can't hit you with a projectile from that angle.
4:43 you could have up B'd from the stage to the ledge and force toon link to recover on stage. This is something you could practice for this situation. In this example it would net you a ledge get up + dsmash punish which would have won you the game.

In general I also notice you tend to full hop a lot as opposed to short hop + fast fall. In general you have to be careful about jumping in the air with lucario because he is floaty and characters love to punish his landing and juggle him. For this reason SH +FF is a the safest option. You can SH+fair + dair or ff nair or ff FP as your basic set of options. You also have sh Bair + ff up tilt and other mixups.

Tiger Shark

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your advice guys! I've read over all of it and will try some new things out. Also that is a good point about full hops (some are accidental), I'll have to try and control my character better.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks for your advice guys! I've read over all of it and will try some new things out. Also that is a good point about full hops (some are accidental), I'll have to try and control my character better.
Sorry for the timestamp layout TS but if it helped then right on to ya. Come back anytime and check back for more advice/help if you need some more!

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I'd probably post a video but LM and pitbull would probs rage instead of constructive feed back.

I seem to get all the hate and everyone else seems to get good and bad critic.... I only get what I did bad.....
Not anything I did good.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd probably post a video but LM and pitbull would probs rage instead of constructive feed back.

I seem to get all the hate and everyone else seems to get good and bad critic.... I only get what I did bad.....
Not anything I did good.

I'm willing to critic you and give good and bad points BC >:

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
That would be awesome, sorry. Everyone seems frustrated or mad at my videos. Its annoying to be that guy who seems to be hated on

I'm having a $5mm with Attila on the 7th so I'll get that up here soon!

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice

Not anything I did good.
Why will I rage? I was always there to help you. I don't see why I couldn't help you again to improve your skills, BC.

Top Bottom