• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

-Ran

Smash Master
Lee might be using zss in finals. That's all he's practicing with at the moment vs meta knight. It's looking good vs Hylian's MK, but his sytle is no where close to M2K.

-Ran

Smash Master
Lee lost three to zip vs M2K.

He then went two matches over Azen's Lucario. Azen switched to MK and won the next three. Lee took third.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
good job to lee. makes me wish i could have gone to see how i woulda got.
its just really ****ing sick that 1st, 2nd, 3rd are all MKs.
i hope this actually holds some weight in the backroom as for MK ruining competitive smash. its being discussed now in the sbr.

anyway...i worked on my pika and its pretty good now.

Bakemonky

Smash Apprentice
What's up guys? It's been a while.

I no longer really play Smash (Melee or Brawl), and have moved onto other games (namely Soul Calibur IV), but that's not why I'm here.

I'm here to shamelessly promote Sector 9 Gaming.

A few of the guys who were at my tournies in Lafayette (which a few of you went to) and myself started a gaming site for ****s and giggles about 9 months ago. It was a website where we could talk about upcoming games and the video game industry as a whole. Since then it has begun garnishing a reputation and we're now averaging about 1500 hits a day.

So I'd like to formally invite you guys to check out our site, www.sector9gaming.com

Take a look around, leave a few comments, and let us know what you think. Tell us if you like what you see or tell us if you hate what you see!

Also, props to Lee. Glad to see Brawl is still alive.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Good **** to Lee indeed. Man, between Lee and Sudai, LA's getting some pretty awesome rep. :D

And I actually did a google search on some forums to see how people felt about the Akuma ban in ST or w/e... And it sounded pretty similar in some cases. Some stuff is ridiculously hard to counter, if at all. Plus, one guy actually stated:

"IMO, i don't think they should ban him in tournaments, either that or soft ban like O.Sagat and Vega and all, just like in Japan to make things interesting
i can see why he'd be cheap in a tourney, but people do **** up so anything can happen
only case i wouldn't really approve of him in a tourney is if there's like 30 Akumas that enter or something" ~shortshortsuper from http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=27728

(Sorry, with like 5 reports done this semester I've gotten in a habit of citing everything >.>) But point is, it's pretty much the same reception. No one wants to see 30 MKs entering a tournament anymore than SF people want to see 30 Akumas in a tourney. Idk, really, I'll probably just go with the flow, no matter what's decided. *shrug*

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
good job to lee. makes me wish i could have gone to see how i woulda got.
its just really ****ing sick that 1st, 2nd, 3rd are all MKs.
I really hate this discussion because I hate to seem like I'm b!tching, but I really agree with this statement. It was very easy to see that MK should be banned. I first realized this one time when me and Testament were having some friendlies. I was just going around the board (mostly Kirby though) and just controlling every match. Not that Testament is bad, I was just having a really good. After all of this he picks MK and 2 stocks me. This would be acceptable except for the fact that he very seldom plays MK. For someone to just be able to pick up a character and have such dominance is ridiculous. This tournament was also and example. I guess Lee was using MK while Azen was using Luke. When Azen got desperate after losing two matches, he switched to none other than MK. It's obvious that MK overcentralizes the metagame too much.

Also I see nothing wrong with character bans if they prove to strip the game of its depth and longevity. The SoulCal guys at Dibbz last night even talked about how there are already character bans. I'm not sure on this so maybe someone should confirm it. If anything we should do like pokemon and at least have a test ban and see how thing turn out without MK for a while to determine whether or not he should be banned. As I said in a previous post, MK alters tourney results. When Snake was an MK counter, everyone used Snake. MK is free to run trains at every single tournament that players have figured a way around Snake. Continued ignorance of this will lead to the eventual death of competitive Brawl

/rant

On a lighter note, CONGRATS LEE!!!

EDIT: wtf is a cinnamon match???

Sudai

Stuff here
anybody wanna best of 3 cinnamon match at dibbz?
Inform me as to what it is and I'll most likely accept? : D

Congrats on 3rd Lee, glad to see you're repping LA as good as I thought you would. : )

I didn't even know M2K or Azen were going to this Hobo. I seriously thought you were going to take first, but ****, taking Azen to 5th match? Too good.

RickyB

Smash Cadet
ohh thats what this is!!! i kept seeing those videos on the HOBO thread and couldn't figure out what they were doing .

that is pretty hardcore, i've had a mouth full of cinnamon, it not good.

Sudai

Stuff here
say best of 5 and whatever rules and stages used at that tourney. i'll bring the cinnamon
I almost think I'd rather eye brow match than have to eat a spoon full of cinnamon. lmao.

Bring the cinnamon, I'll decide at the tourney. (Before I watch you play, no worries on me ***** footing out from seeing you play or something)

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I beat Lee's Metaknight at Gameware Monthly 3 in the tourney and also 2-0'd DJ's as well both with Zelda. I also beat Lee's Metaknight in friendlies at Gameware Monthly 4 with Game and Watch. Enough said.

Congratulations, Lee!! You're awesome!!

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
holy chef, i would cinnamon match you but seeing as how your sig is ics ****** one of my mains, im going to decline.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I beat Lee's Metaknight at Gameware Monthly 3 in the tourney and also 2-0'd DJ's as well both with Zelda. I also beat Lee's Metaknight in friendlies at Gameware Monthly 4 with Game and Watch. Enough said.

Congratulations, Lee!! You're awesome!!
The accomplishments of one person can't speak for everyone. That plus I hear you're actually better than you give yourself credit for. That's not gonna make the whole smash community pick up Zelda or just find some magical way to beat MK. If they did pick up Zelda, 99% of them wouldn't play her as well as you and they would just play MK anyway. The fact that MK continues to rack up tourney results doesn't help his case. Unless the tourney results normalize in some sort of fashion, he will still be considered to overcentralize the metagame.

holy chef, i would cinnamon match you but seeing as how your sig is ics ****** one of my mains, im going to decline.
*DB voice* You still a ***** tho *DB Voice*

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
The accomplishments of one person can't speak for everyone. That plus I hear you're actually better than you give yourself credit for. That's not gonna make the whole smash community pick up Zelda or just find some magical way to beat MK. If they did pick up Zelda, 99% of them wouldn't play her as well as you and they would just play MK anyway. The fact that MK continues to rack up tourney results doesn't help his case. Unless the tourney results normalize in some sort of fashion, he will still be considered to overcentralize the metagame.
That may be true that I'm better than I believe that I am, but that still said, others can get just as good if they applied themselves. I'm not saying that people will have to pick up Zelda or anything (I used GW as well), but I do believe more analysis of the mechanics of the game and much practice will make Metaknight matchups better. It's all about studying. I'm not as good as Lee is skill-wise, but with the studying that I've done, I can at least be able to keep up with him. Metaknight's skill is more reflected by the skill of the player. The same could be said with any other character.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
That may be true that I'm better than I believe that I am, but that still said, others can get just as good if they applied themselves. I'm not saying that people will have to pick up Zelda or anything (I used GW as well), but I do believe more analysis of the mechanics of the game and much practice will make Metaknight matchups better. It's all about studying. I'm not as good as Lee is skill-wise, but with the studying that I've done, I can at least be able to keep up with him. Metaknight's skill is more reflected by the skill of the player. The same could be said with any other character.
That's all subjective. The facts point to that won't happen anytime soon if ever on a widespread scale. I'm sure Azen practiced a lot and prides himself on his skill with Lucario, but when money was about to be taken from his hands, he had no problem switching to MK. He recognized how good Lee was and took the best chance that he had to win. I personally wish it didn't have to go down this way considering MK is one of favorite characters of all time, but apparently Sakurai felt the need to make up for Kirby's lackluster ability in melee and unleashed this monster on the world. We've been waiting for months for someone to find something to take care of MK, but its just not happening and probably won't happen on a widespread scale. Of course there are always anomalies as there are in a majority of social analyses, but they shouldn't sway the ultimate decision.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I just think competitive Brawl in and of itself was a mistake. It didn't bring balance. Competitors and casuals are still going at it. And counter-picking still makes up a lot of the game. It's not going to be very well balanced still if MK is banned. It might be MORE balanced, but not nearly enough. It'll be like Melee again. If this is what it's come down to, then maybe everyone SHOULD go back to playing Melee. It might at least make Taylor and Ken happy in the apartment.

I don't see this going anywhere at all. People are quitting anyway and probably more will end up quitting over this issue as well.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
The accomplishments of one person can't speak for everyone. That plus I hear you're actually better than you give yourself credit for.
Understatement? Methinks so. >.> Vaughn = extraordinary. =D

That's not gonna make the whole smash community pick up Zelda or just find some magical way to beat MK.
Pun intended? XD XD XD

Well you're right about not just Zelda. According to most places, the three neutrals for MK are Zelda, G&W, and DK. The reason they work is cuz they can take the heaviest advantage of killing MK early. They have fast and/or really good ranged, powerful moves that can kill an MK early. But I mean, would Lee still win all of our tournaments even without MK? I'd put money on it. Lol. *shrug* Que sera, sera.

Btw, Vaughn, this week you up for some Four Swording? :D

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
i did exceptionally well vs azens lucario as i won the first two matches. he went metaknight after and won the next three. azen and m2k both beat me with meta. i dont really know if their mk's are better its just that they play each other a lot and have a LOT of Mk ditto experience. I literally have none. Theres not one good mk in LA, even dj's started sucking so now he plays olimar. i know i would have had this if i had more mk experience, but ah idk. me and azens matches were recorded so hopefully theyll be put online. you also notice how bad i perform against mk haha. i stayed in winners until winners finals though, but the only character i lost to was MK. ahh lol. ill get there with moe ditto experience...

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Well you're right about not just Zelda. According to most places, the three neutrals for MK are Zelda, G&W, and DK. The reason they work is cuz they can take the heaviest advantage of killing MK early. They have fast and/or really good ranged, powerful moves that can kill an MK early. But I mean, would Lee still win all of our tournaments even without MK? I'd put money on it. Lol. *shrug* Que sera, sera.

Btw, Vaughn, this week you up for some Four Swording? :D
Metaknight's also consider Snake and Diddy neutrals as well even though they're also 5% in his favor. There are also known 60:40 matchups with characters like ROB and Marth. Though he has slight advantages across the chart, they aren't that big. Find ways to exploit that weakness.

Yeah sure, Nick. But I need more cables, so it might be a while.

Edit: Also Yoshi and Dedede are 60:40's and Falco is 55:45. Probably more.

Sudai

Stuff here
Taylor, get off my account!

*stays away from the MK debate as per usual*

People on the ROB boards are nominating me for ROB board moderator..? wutwut?

Lee, teach me to play MK at the next GW and I'll give you good MK experience.

Top Bottom