• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Just to set the record, i don't like Miley, her new song is just so catchy and everyone gets it stuck in my head and Swift is legit. On a real note, I do listen to a lot of Weezy and Drake! For example, go to youtube and search Lil Wayne's "Make Her Say" from his mixtape. You SHOULD like it! My taste in music is random

Sudai

Stuff here
FYI, the 'original' great players didn't have great players to learn from, you shouldn't think that you need to play them to get better. Yes, they're a great source to observe and learn from, but you should be constantly critiquing yourself. If Laffy simply gets together and practices together OUTSIDE of tournaments, you'll get better. However, don't just get together and play to play. Get together and play to LEARN. Help each other out. If someone doesn't punish you when you know they can, let them know. You're only hurting yourself if you let someone let you get away with doing punishable things.

Turazrok

Smash Master
FYI, the 'original' great players didn't have great players to learn from, you shouldn't think that you need to play them to get better. Yes, they're a great source to observe and learn from, but you should be constantly critiquing yourself. If Laffy simply gets together and practices together OUTSIDE of tournaments, you'll get better. However, don't just get together and play to play. Get together and play to LEARN. Help each other out. If someone doesn't punish you when you know they can, let them know. You're only hurting yourself if you let someone let you get away with doing punishable things.
Sudai posts beautiful and moving things. I don't quite read the whole thing but it's still quite impressive, and I agree with the above post. I don't ever play with anyone decent in melee. So I don't have MU experience, which contributes to my losses. No johns though.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Ok here we go...

This will eventually lead to people of a lower caliber only going to the local tournies.

How can you introduce people to the competitive scene when no competition is present?

With no competition present, how will people reach their highest potential?

How will people have an opportunity to learn from the best in the state?

Losing to Lee is a horrible john, it's the story of our lives.

Lee is the reason most of us are competing at a high level.

...I'm done.
Quoted for truth.

I sometimes don't get the mentality among some people in this state. When I was back in jacksonville, there was zero competition there. So I drove my *** to orlando, miami, atlanta, etc and played in tournaments that would have required a divine miracle for me to have any chance of winning at all. And what happened? I got ***** a bunch by colbol, lambchops, xif, qdvs, and countless others, but I learned a ton about the game and got way better in the process. And even though I was losing the majority of my games with anyone serious, it was a ton of fun.

The point is that I drove anywhere from 2.5 to 6+ hours on a regular basis to play with the best in my area (to say nothing of the 14 hour carpool to FCD), and you guys are trying to keep them from coming to you. I was paying gas, and fl tournaments have real entry fees (usually at least $15 for singles and $25-30 for teams) so you better believe I was losing money doing all this. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Curlz

Smash Lord
The reason I want to do this is because Laffy is definitely at a lower caliber compared to the other cities. If a Laffy local comes in to play and have fun, but being competitive at the same time just to get ***** by someone OoT then it gives them the mindset saying "I'm just spending $5 to lose."

I want to have at least 1 locals only tournament down here to let people know that's its not $5 to lose. Its $5 to hang out with friends, meet new people, play a game you love, and possibly win money back. (Thank you Randall)

Not everyone is like Turok and I. There are some people who will give up after getting destroyed by a top ranked player. I don't want that to happen here because word of mouth is powerful. So if we have a Laffy only tournament it will give me a chance to introduce people to the scene through Flounda and me. We'll show them SWF and then they'll get attached to the scene.

I'm not telling people that they'll lose to Lee if they enter, but that's what most of my friends have been telling me. They enjoy the game and want to get competitive but feel as if they can't because they have to compared to the PR.

Turazrok

Smash Master
The reason I want to do this is because Laffy is definitely at a lower caliber compared to the other cities. If a Laffy local comes in to play and have fun, but being competitive at the same time just to get ***** by someone OoT then it gives them the mindset saying "I'm just spending $5 to lose."

I want to have at least 1 locals only tournament down here to let people know that's its not $5 to lose. Its $5 to hang out with friends, meet new people, play a game you love, and possibly win money back. (Thank you Randall)

Not everyone is like Turok and I. There are some people who will give up after getting destroyed by a top ranked player. I don't want that to happen here because word of mouth is powerful. So if we have a Laffy only tournament it will give me a chance to introduce people to the scene through Flounda and me. We'll show them SWF and then they'll get attached to the scene.

I'm not telling people that they'll lose to Lee if they enter, but that's what most of my friends have been telling me. They enjoy the game and want to get competitive but feel as if they can't because they have to compared to the PR.
That's fair enough. My opinion is this: when I get 3 stocked by Lee in brawl, w/e. I play melee more. When Lee 4 stocks me in melee, I think : I need to work on my game. A LOT. It's not about PR, because there isn't a set PR for melee, just top players. And even then I have like 4 years of catching up to do. Once I realized this I no longer cared about how bad I was comparatively. Just what I could do to improve myself. That's kind of the proper mindset. But gimpy puts it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY

r0ni

Smash Cadet

the only reason im one of la's best is because of losing so much. and just learning through sudai cyphus lee ect.

butthole good

Bomber7

Smash Hero
the only reason im one of la's best is because of losing so much. and just learning through sudai cyphus lee ect.

butthole good
or if needed, taking a break from the game is good if you are too caught up with frustration. I'm planning on competing in tournaments come May(?), just right now, I want to just host Voodoo Smash and also friendly people to get and give practice plus I don't lose $5-$10 just to play a few matches. :p

So yeah, if any one really wants practice at a tournament I'm not going to be competing in (starting after LasT) I'll sit down with you and we can fight. :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Music is personal taste so therefore it doesn't matter.

I like the music I got.

Rock and Country are for me.

eet

Smash Ace
i ****in HATE Kanye West's voice. He cant rap for ****. WHY DOES HE GET SO MUCH PLAY TIME - **** THE RADIO AND ALL THE RICH FUKERS WHO OWN IT.

Long live east harlem

sorry, i rly dislike kanye. wayne is ok - he got style but his lyrics are weak imo. his newest ceiling cd was better than the autotune bull**** but still way worse than say, illmatic.

and I ***** hate screamo hardcore gaysex music - like wtf, stfu and learn how to sing noob. there are pitchs ard vocal ranges and this whole science to it, check it out!1oner1

and country is just lame. sorry iceman, i love you.

its all about radiohead, ronald jenkees, miike snow, the beatles, album leaf, lymphic system, Tatu, pink floyd, aphex twin, coldplay, a perfect circle, 311, sublime, the flashbulb, postal service, the shins, massive attack, 2pac, biggie, krs-one, nas, jedi mind, cohen, telepopmusik, interpol, sigur ros, caspo and rusko, red hot chili peppers, infected mushroom, daft punk, the orb, Phil Collins, David Bowie and crystal method.

yay pasting. feel free to make fun of my gay music choices (im lookin at you, phil collins)

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
and country is just lame. sorry iceman, i love you.

its all about coldplay

yay pasting. feel free to make fun of my gay music choices (im lookin at you, phil collins)
I won't make fun of your gay music choices, I think you did a great job by yourself.

Here I am again, mixing misery and gin, sittin with all my friends and talking to myself
Looks like I'm havin a good time but any fool can tell, this honky tonk heaven really makes you feel like hell

That's what it feels like talking to y'all about music.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
and I ***** hate screamo hardcore gaysex music - like wtf, stfu and learn how to sing noob. there are pitchs ard vocal ranges and this whole science to it, check it out!1oner1
I know you're joking, but are you implying that there aren't different pitches to screaming? I already proved Hyro wrong on this one.

Sudai

Stuff here
You can't get better if you're not having fun in the process.

I've given my two-cents.
Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Having fun means being engaged. Being engaged means your brain will create more neural connections. More neural connections being made means you'll learn more and faster.

Oh, and r0ni, return all the teaching we've given you to the n00bs in the same way we did to you. Kick their ***** and yell at them when they do anything wrong. :p

Hyro

Smash Lord
I know you're joking, but are you implying that there aren't different pitches to screaming? I already proved Hyro wrong on this one.
No, you proved some people sound like demons when they do it and others sound like little girls.

Country sucks fo sho.

wayne is ok - he got style but his lyrics are weak imo. his newest ceiling cd was better than the autotune bull**** but still way worse than say, illmatic.
lolWUT??

Wayne is KNOWN for his lyrics. He has the best lines in every rap song...listen to this from No Ceilings:

Swagga just dumb....call it SARA PALIN
If you *****s fly then I must be PARA SAILIN
We, we are not the same I'ma MOTHERFKN ALIEN

^^^^^^

That's some clever ****. Sara palin...para salin....TOO ****ING GOOD lmao

Annnyyyway, I love autotune, it's the ****. Sounds good, makes their voices sound a lot crisper, why the **** not. Your singing a song, not taking a test, you can cheat on it.

Black Eyed Peas are pro, Lupe Fiasco too good, T.I. got some good ones, Akon is a monster

And I always like listening to Sean Kingston, probably cuz of the lil kick of reggae, that's why I think this new guy Iyaz is gonna be big. That song replay is fiiiiiiiiiiiiyah <--(LA vocab :lick:)

EDIT: DIBBZ TODAY, text/ call me to find out whats ups, be there at like...7...or 8 or 9.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
No, you proved some people sound like demons when they do it and others sound like little girls.

Country sucks fo sho.

lolWUT??

Wayne is KNOWN for his lyrics. He has the best lines in every rap song
If they sound different, then there is a different pitch. :/ Country does indeed suck, and Kanye is horrible. :]]

Hyro

Smash Lord
I want to have at least 1 locals only tournament down here to let people know that's its not $5 to lose. Its $5 to hang out with friends, meet new people, play a game you love, and possibly win money back. (Thank you Randall).
So they can't hang out with friends if people from OoT are there? They can't meet new people? And play a game they love? What does getting money back have to do with it??

I've never in my life entered a tournament to win money. I think of it as going to the movies. I use to go every friday, for $10. I'd go. Wouldn't win any money...had fun, hung out. That's how I feel entering tournaments. It's like going to the movies except more...interactive lol

And it's really not a cliche, getting ***** makes you better.

Anyways, Jnig, when you and Blaine coming down?? And did Sam say he wanted to come too?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Tournaments=Going to the movies, but more interactive.

Anyways, Jnig, when you and Blaine coming down?? And did Sam say he wanted to come too?
Good analogy. I think it's obvious OOT-ers are against this OOT ban.

I am coming with Randall, Blaine probably can't make it, and I still have to find out if Sam is coming or not.

Curlz just wants us to stop attending, so he can make money. I don't blame you though.
DANM!!! This better not be true.

That's like me running an LSU tourney, then saying LSU students ONLY. I could get some serious bank, but that's fcked up!

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
A jug of wine to numb my mind but what good does it do
The jug runs dry and still I cry, I can't escape from you

Alright, now let me translate that into Screamo. Ahem,

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH, AAAHHH, AAAAAAHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH (****ty guitar solo) AAAHHHHHH

Did you see the subtle differences? Oh ****, don't cut yourself over it.
Country may not be your cup of tea, but at least you can understand what the fux goin on without bein on ****in acid. Just sayin.

Battousai780

Smash Ace

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH, AAAHHH, AAAAAAHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH (****ty guitar solo) AAAHHHHHH

Country may not be your cup of tea, but at least you can understand what the fux goin on without bein on ****in acid. Just sayin.
I'm not going to argue with dumb responses like that. Some screamo has dumb lyrics just as country, but other screamo just as country can have deep profound lyrics.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to argue with dumb responses like that. Some screamo has dumb lyrics just as country, but other screamo just as country can have deep profound lyrics.
No dude, do what makes you happy. I won't pick on you cuz you listen to screamo, just don't pick on country (that goes for all you mutha****as).
And I'm sure some songs you listen to have great lyrics, I won't argue that, I just think I would enjoy them as well if I could understand them. The two bands you mentioned, Slayer and Dimmu Borgir, are good examples. Don't know what the hell Slayer is talkin about, and the other is, what, Scandinavian? Come on.

Hyro

Smash Lord

I lol'd @ this

But country sucks too

"My dog died, *cries*

/song

:)

Curlz

Smash Lord
I can't really explain myself over the computer. Its hard to type out my thoughts. But I think having one Locals only tournament will end up helping the turnout here.

Its not so I can win money for myself. Honestly, I never thought of that, haha. Its to introduce people slowly to the community.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I listen to some Metalcore and Rock. Plus, country.

Threat Signal's lead singer kinda looks like roni.

r0ni

Smash Cadet
You can't get better if you're not having fun in the process.

I've given my two-cents.
lmao actually this is false, i hated it and never had fun learning this game. the only reason i have fun now is because of how good i am. if thats concieded im sorry, but its true.

r0ni

Smash Cadet
man this thread dumb boopdopshoop drugs.

freddy-we needa hang out soon, your cooler than anyone i know, and you the mammal king.

bopdoop

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
"My dog died, *cries*

/song

:)

Old Musicians: Ray Charles, The Beatles, Elvis, Tom Petty, Tom Jones, The Rollin Stones, Jimmy Buffett, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin), Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Jerry Garcia (and his Grateful Dead), Bruce Springsteen, Gram ****in Parsons, Jim Morrison (of the Doors), John Fogerty (of CCR), Aaron Neville, the Beach Boys, **** Dale (wouldn't let me say ****), Dr. John, Stevie Wonder, George Thorogood, Huey Lewis and the News, Isaac Hayes (aw yeah), Little Richard, Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits), Taj Mahal (for the blues folks), Van Morrison

Newer Musicians: U2, Norah Jones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (love em), Coldplay (ew), Alison Krauss (for the Bluegrass crowd), Beck, Phish (yes, I said Phish), Sugar Ray

These artists (and more, I put the more important ones) covered at least one Hank song. I'd venture to guess that his songs feature more than 'my dog dies *cries*'. But what do they know, it's not like most are in their respective HOFs or anything. Don't **** with country, or country's gonna **** with you. I shouldn't have even opened my mouth, I'm just a dumb hillbilly. I'll get back to raisin chickins with George Thorogood, I suppose.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ahhh, GameWare was fun.

Alas, because December will be keeping me busy with exams, a possible tournament and the holidays, I wont be going there anytime soon :(

Sudai

Stuff here
r0ni, of course, is the exception. :p

He had help being engaged while not having fun for one very important reason and it's because of something he looovvveeeesssss. ;D

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
lolWUT??

Wayne is KNOWN for his lyrics. He has the best lines in every rap song...listen to this from No Ceilings:

Swagga just dumb....call it SARA PALIN
If you *****s fly then I must be PARA SAILIN
We, we are not the same I'ma MOTHERFKN ALIEN

^^^^^^

That's some clever ****. Sara palin...para salin....TOO ****ING GOOD lmao
Some more hot lines:
I'm an ***hole, wipe me down *****
Dropped my best **** like the Cowboys dropped Owens

Haha,I met her on Monday and f-cked her all week
Cause every time she leave she come back to the tree
She know I love brain so I treat her like a geek

There's probably a lot more that I missed, but yea Wayne is considered the best by many. And Kanye isn't that bad, people know his music is fire, but they don't like his attitude and I can see why. After the past award incidents and recently the Taylor Swift incident....:ohwell:

Anyway, y'all need to get on that Taylor Swift ****, she sings country but home girl can rap too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMSTU_eGeg :chuckle:

Top Bottom