• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I didn't mean that literally. I was just poking a hole in his logic.

I'LL ONLY BELIEVE IN YOUR "GAWDS" IF JESUS CAME OUT OF HIDING TO SHAKE MY HAND IN PERSON
Because seeing is believing my friend? I could use the simple brain analogy.
BELIEVE IN SOMETHING??? HOW ABOUT EVOLUTION??
Did you see evolution? No. So how do you know it exists?
To him seeing is believing obviously. Yet, he supports evolution without seeing it. I just punched a big hole in his logic.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Let me say congrats to Lee cause I'm late and I just found out he got first.........

I think the PnT guys can make some money down the road if they add SF4 to the mix. With the venue fees, he can generate over 200 minimum. The Brawl guys use the side near the cash register and the SF4 guys will use the HD TVs.

EDIT: I got 4 months of a layoff for joining tournament, so I'm gonna use this time to reinvent my thinking when playing Brawl(if that makes sense).

Curlz

Smash Lord
Let me say congrats to Lee cause I'm late and I just found out he got first.........

I think the PnT guys can make some money down the road if they add SF4 to the mix. With the venue fees, he can generate over 200 minimum. The Brawl guys use the side near the cash register and the SF4 guys will use the HD TVs.

EDIT: I got 4 months of a layoff for joining tournament, so I'm gonna use this time to reinvent my thinking when playing Brawl(if that makes sense).
Jeff said he doesn't want to run 2 tournaments due to the lack of space. We were really crowded last time with only 16 people. If we get big with 25-30 people a month plus SF4, there will be no space.

Also, what do you mean 4 months layoff?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm done arguing. Too lazy. Arguing in person is fine though! Btw, raising Chaos is probably the greatest feeling in life possible. Devil Chaos fa sho!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ok. So far this discussion about religion was going smoothly. laughs here, no flame there. Chronic, chill friend. No one is attacking you for being Atheist.

There's alot of things that can't be explained.

God can't be proven, nor has he been disproved.
Evolution; I support it because to me evolution is just another part of surviving in life which is brutal. To me evolution is a lingering adaptation to one's environment.

My favorite theologian is St. Thomas Aquinas. I have a book on him but aparently it is in super mondo advanced vocabulary and it is extremely hard to understand, but I understand that he took from both Philosophy and Catholicism and did wonders explaining things, lol I'm just too lazy to go investigate more specifically myself but I find that amazing.

But hey if this religion topic is going to start a flame war, then we can always go onto other random topics. or have a Socratic Discussion (PT boards recently got one of those threads ftw!). Or we can just have more random discussion.

Just throwing that out there. I'm not flaming anyone for what they believe in, I never have in this entire discussion. Just having a friendly discussion about how funny Christianity can be. Also I'm also tired/bored of the current topic.

NEXT TOPIC!

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
Why would you choose to believe in something? How is that any different than choosing not to believe something when there's 0 proof? Don't come back with "there is proof!" unless you have such proof to support it.
im not going to try to convince you that there is proof, because i havent actually found definitive proof, and i doubt there will EVER bee DEFINITIVE proof. this isnt the only reason i believe in a god, but its a good reason to not be atheist.

if God does in fact exist, and i believe in God, i will go to heaven.
if God doesnt exist, and i believe in God, nothing happens.
if God does in fact exist, and i refuse to accept it, i will not go to heaven.
if God doesnt exist, and i dont believe that he does, nothing happens.

so, either, nothing happens, or you go to heaven if you believe. and if you dont believe, either nothing will happen, or you will not go to heaven. i would rather be wrong with nothing happening, than quite frankly, going to hell. now someone, batto or bomber, said that even an atheist can go to heaven if they are searching for truth, and i havent heard that one before, so maybe im wrong.

edit: whoops, posted too late, apparently. i guess i have the last word! HOHO! hahaha

is double posting against the rules in social threads? just wondering....

edit 2: if i was a god, i would only allow atheists into my "heaven" just to be a ****. i would have so much fun telling them they were wrong about me existing....

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Well, I say I'm atheist. I don't care either way if there is a God or not; but I mainly refute the current gods we have, most notably the Christian one. As for not believing in anything, I can see arguments for how there could be none and the arguments for how there could be one. Again though, I don't care either way.
This is actually agnosticism. By definition atheists believe there is no divine higher power at all. Agnostics don't necessarily pick a side.

Sudai

Stuff here
im not going to try to convince you that there is proof, because i havent actually found definitive proof, and i doubt there will EVER bee DEFINITIVE proof. this isnt the only reason i believe in a god, but its a good reason to not be atheist.

if God does in fact exist, and i believe in God, i will go to heaven.
if God doesnt exist, and i believe in God, nothing happens.
if God does in fact exist, and i refuse to accept it, i will not go to heaven.
if God doesnt exist, and i dont believe that he does, nothing happens.

so, either, nothing happens, or you go to heaven if you believe. and if you dont believe, either nothing will happen, or you will not go to heaven. i would rather be wrong with nothing happening, than quite frankly, going to hell. now someone, batto or bomber, said that even an atheist can go to heaven if they are searching for truth, and i havent heard that one before, so maybe im wrong.

edit: whoops, posted too late, apparently. i guess i have the last word! HOHO! hahaha

is double posting against the rules in social threads? just wondering....
Instead of responding to this, I'll link you to something that will explain my point for me since I'm lazy. It's a short read and is well worth your time if you really feel that way.
http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X13...out.com/od/argumentsforgod/a/pascalswager.htm

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You youngins and your irrelevant religious talks. Back in my day the Fuhrer would have had you shot for that he would.

Hayal Mein Fuhrer!

Battousai780

Smash Ace
This is actually agnosticism. By definition atheists believe there is no divine higher power at all. Agnostics don't necessarily pick a side.
Agnosticism usually refers to people in the middle who are undecided. I've decided that for myself there is no God. I'm more of a pragmatic atheist.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Ok, regarding the LSU tourney: I was told that the Broussard Hall lobby is open on both November 6 and 7 (Friday and Saturday). I need to know which day is better and what times we need it for. I put 4:00 to 11:00. Is that good?

Also, Randall, the forms I need to turn in ask for the signatures of the group president and the group sponsor/advisor. I need to meet you in person sometime tomorrow.

I need to turn this in ASAP so these dates don't get taken, so I need to hear from you guys the preferred date and times.

Posting this in the Facebook group as well.

EDIT: I checked the Aquarium's TV's: They're crap. The screens are fuzzy all the time. Had nothing to do with the signal. I also asked for the Lobby, not the Aquarium. Should I switch?

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
Instead of responding to this, I'll link you to something that will explain my point for me since I'm lazy. It's a short read and is well worth your time if you really feel that way.
http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X13...out.com/od/argumentsforgod/a/pascalswager.htm
like i said, i might be wrong. looks like youve punched a hole in that logic. i dont follow that, though. ive been raised a catholic, and it makes sense to me. but enough of this palaver. *gets popcorn and watches mushroom clouds*

RickyB

Smash Cadet
Its not about Agnosticism or Atheism or Capitalism or Communism.

The point you need to understand is that the "ism's" are all just school's of thought that you did not think of on your own. they were told to you and you bought into them. cogs in a machine, that's all you are. You can believe in Jesus all you want and have faith all you want but that won't change what modern science has to say. Just because your parents or your preacher tell you something dose not make it true. Use logic reject emotion, faith is blind emotion, and that is a very dangerous thing.

Bomber i know your scared to get in on this argument because deep down you know you really can't back up your blind faith in god. Your scared what the atheist have to say might make to much since to you. Fear is how religion has sustained itself for so long.

also i'm smarter than all you high school kids.

its funny how all the pro religious people are the ones who want to end the argument while the non believes enjoy the stimulating conversation

fear is control

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I think having a little debate is healthy, but I'd rather not join. On another note:

Regarding the LSU tourney: I was told that the Broussard Hall lobby is open on both November 6 and 7 (Friday and Saturday). I need to know which day is better and what times we need it for. I put 4:00 to 11:00. Is that good?

Also, Randall, the forms I need to turn in ask for the signatures of the group president and the group sponsor/advisor. I need to meet you in person sometime tomorrow.

I need to turn this in ASAP so these dates don't get taken, so I need to hear from you guys the preferred date and times. Comment away.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I vote Friday. The Aquarium has so much room and already has like 2 TVs there or something like that. It'll be perfect for a tourney. I won't be able to get there until like 6 tho after I get off work at 5... No shower ewwwwwwwwww.

Battousai780

Smash Ace

The point you need to understand is that the "ism's" are all just school's of thought that you did not think of on your own. they were told to you and you bought into them. cogs in a machine, that's all you are. You can believe in Jesus all you want and have faith all you want but that won't change what modern science has to say. Just because your parents or your preacher tell you something dose not make it true. Use logic reject emotion, faith is blind emotion, and that is a very dangerous thing.

Bomber i know your scared to get in on this argument because deep down you know you really can't back up your blind faith in god. Your scared what the atheist have to say might make to much since to you. Fear is how religion has sustained itself for so long.

its funny how all the pro religious people are the ones who want to end the argument while the non believes enjoy the stimulating conversation

fear is control
I'm trying so hard not to be a grammar nazi. xDDD
How's life RickyB?

Bomber7

Smash Hero

fear is control
o.0 but I admitted that I can't prove God existed. Tbh, it doesn't really matter because you can't prove God and you can't disprove him. I believe in science but I also believe in God creating the earth, but I also believe that who's not to say that God didn't make it to where things happened naturally i.e. nature, science, etc? I don't know. I'm only human. I have no problem with admitting that. I'll admit that I am scared at times because I am only human and I am given that emotion and I will admit that knowing someone(or something) is watching over me gives me comfort. I've heard so many stories from family and non family as well as have experienced incidences myself where I believe that it was more than just coincidence. However that is why it's called Faith Ricky, there is nothing logical about it.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I don't follow my religion to please anyone. My parents raised me as a Catholic and I've been in a Catholic school since grade 3, but I left Catholicism last year due to its hypocritical nature. I am a Non-Denominational Christian that believes in the savior and listens/reads the word.

Anything can be questioned, so go ahead and ask me questions. I just don't know if I can completely back it up, but regardless I have faith. Even if it may be "blind faith" it can still be faith. And my faith is for the higher being.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I think the best way I could come across is to use an analogy my best friend made. He asked me, "If I wrote a book and claimed I was divinely inspired by God; and if this book said to believe in it with blind faith, would you?" Of course I said no. "Well then why would you believe a book that someone you don't even know wrote roughly 2000 years ago?"

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I don't follow my religion to please anyone. My parents raised me as a Catholic and I've been in a Catholic school since grade 3, but I left Catholicism last year due to its hypocritical nature. I am a Non-Denominational Christian that believes in the savior and listens/reads the word.

Anything can be questioned, so go ahead and ask me questions. I just don't know if I can completely back it up, but regardless I have faith. Even if it may be "blind faith" it can still be faith. And my faith is for the higher being.
emphasis on why it is called "faith". I don't get why people get offended by people who believe in something they cant prove.

or most cases:
something you can't prove = God
religious arguments = arguments about the credibility of Christianity

Edit: I also would like to mention that in the Christian discussions I have been in with people, no one has yet been able to tell me what about Christianity; I'm talking about the core doctrine, that they find is so wrong.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

fear is control
Ricky ur thoughts are actually very profound but ur weed use hampers ur grammar. As far as atheism goes its believing just as much as any religion. Science has yet to prove how the universe came into existence. **** they've traced the genetic timeline many different species but still can't manage to find where humans went from being primitive to civilized. I am pro religion, but I would consider atheism a religion to some extent. A religion is basically a set of beliefs about the universe and atheists have to believe that there wasn't a divine or higher being that isn't responsible for our existence which makes it a religion. Basically I believe in God because I haven't been proved otherwise and with my education it would actually take a lot to disprove it.

I think the best way I could come across is to use an analogy my best friend made. He asked me, "If I wrote a book and claimed I was divinely inspired by God; and if this book said to believe in it with blind faith, would you?" Of course I said no. "Well then why would you believe a book that someone you don't even know wrote roughly 2000 years ago?"
Most present day Christians don't take most of what the Bible says literally. As Christians we're supposed to act in a Christlike manner. The Bible outlines many righteous ways to live life. Also note how repetitive some preachers can be becasue they're stretching for all of the good tidbits from the bible. Another reason not to follow everything in the bible literally is because it was approved by king james. King James was the former king of england and notorious for not being a good king (which is why there isn't a King james II, III, IV, etc.) so it wouldn't be the best idea to take that literally. Atheist or Christian you still have blind faith. Science can't explain every detail of the universe as of yet.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Well, how does a merciful God create people knowing full well that they will eventually go to hell? Blahblah free will. Free will is an illusion. Decisions are based on the arrangement of a person's brain, his life experiences, and stimulus. With no free will, God essentially makes humans to go to hell. He ill equips them for life. Very merciful.

Most present day Christians don't take most of what the Bible says literally. As Christians we're supposed to act in a Christlike manner. The Bible outlines many righteous ways to live life. Also note how repetitive some preachers can be becasue they're stretching for all of the good tidbits from the bible. Another reason not to follow everything in the bible literally is because it was approved by king james. King James was the former king of england and notorious for not being a good king (which is why there isn't a King james II, III, IV, etc.) so it wouldn't be the best idea to take that literally. Atheist or Christian you still have blind faith. Science can't explain every detail of the universe as of yet.
I'm not even talking about taking things literally or not. Of course Adam and Eve didn't exist. But as far as what Jesus says, Christians do believe and follow him blindly.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I am pro religion, but I would consider atheism a religion to some extent.
Atheism is as much of a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby.

We aren't supposed to take the bible literally. The bible was put into figurative language to help us understand better. Genesis would be the best example. One day in Genesis when he created the world could have been millions of years. It said that God created the animals and then man. In the bible it also says "Let us make something in our image." or something in the like, and then creates man. Could that possibly explain evolution.

There as you see is how science and religion come together.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Ahhhh get ***** religion.

W/e keeps you sane throughout the day.....
I could agree with you. It keeps the peasants in line; but when religion causes bad things, one can obviously see something is wrong. Ever heard of the Inquisition? That's an extreme example. But today, the religions prevent so many good things. The Catholic church opposes giving condoms to Africans to stop the spread of AIDs. Just because fornicating and contraceptive use are sins in their religion is no reason to prevent millions of people from dying.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I could agree with you. It keeps the peasants in line; but when religion causes bad things, one can obviously see something is wrong. Ever heard of the Inquisition? That's an extreme example. But today, the religions prevent so many good things. The Catholic church opposes giving condoms to Africans to stop the spread of AIDs. Just because fornicating and contraceptive use are sins in their religion is no reason to prevent millions of people from dying.
If people would have listened to the church and not had pre-marital sex like they were supposed to, they wouldn't have t worry about millions of people dying.

But that's not the point. Its not like condoms are illegal. If they were, MechaCon would have been a bad experience. >.<

Battousai780

Smash Ace
If people would have listened to the church and not had pre-marital sex like they were supposed to, they wouldn't have t worry about millions of people dying.

But that's not the point. Its not like condoms are illegal. If they were, MechaCon would have been a bad experience. >.<
So now everyone MUST listen to the church? That's ridiculous. How about they hand out condoms, so people won't die? The issue had nothing to do with religion. Also, it's not like these Africans can afford condoms. They can't even afford to buy food.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well, how does a merciful God create people knowing full well that they will eventually go to hell? Blahblah free will. Free will is an illusion. Decisions are based on the arrangement of a person's brain, his life experiences, and stimulus. With no free will, God essentially makes humans to go to hell. He ill equips them for life. Very merciful.
Well you don't know that God creates humans to go to hell. That's ludicrous. Yes, free will does play a role, however we are also taught that if you are truly sorry for your sins, assuming you lived the worst life you can think of, then you can get accepted into heaven. I'm not promoting that you should go do w/e the hell you want knowing it's not the right thing to do just so you can turn around and say you are truly sorry, no; I'm just saying given the circumstances, Christians are taught that there is redemption.

The simplest way I could explain God to a person who would ask me to explain him is he is like a father. He's loving, but can be strict at times; he's there anytime you need him and he will give you comfort if you need it. However if I had to be more specific he would be the father of a young adult because during young adulthood you are exploring independence and becoming more independent yourself. What that relates to is not having to rely on God for everything that you need, but like the parent that let's their child go out into the world, will always be there if they are needed.

And Batto, there has always been the controversy of "God has a plan for you" but "God gave you a free will". I see that, like the bible, it is interpreted differently. Most commonly we would take it as we have the power to choose, which we do, but yet we have God controlling us. The way I take it is that God does have a plan for us, however it's like he has given us a blank, untouched canvas, and our free will and the power to choose is us painting the picture on our own. In a sense yeah God does have a plan for us, and in the end, when you finish painting the picture, you will see what God's plan is(was?). But all we really need to worry about is living our lives the way that we want to; we have free will, we might as well use it. In the end, make yourself happy and live with no regrets, and for all we know, that could truly be "God's plan" after all "God's plan" has never been set in stone. you are the master of your life.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

I'm not even talking about taking things literally or not. Of course Adam and Eve didn't exist. But as far as what Jesus says, Christians do believe and follow him blindly.
So was God supposed to create a "perfect" race that would always choose "righteous" actions when faced with a decision to make. I don't really feel like explaining too much but almost every philosopher found that example would itself be morally wrong. God by definition cannot be morally wrong. People are supposed to have the right to choose religion, not be forced to believe as told. Even though I am a Christian doesn't mean that I just blindly follow everything that the Bible and my Preacher says. If so I would've put $1500 in the offering yesterday.

Atheism is as much of a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby.
religion = a set of beliefs about the nature of the universe. Some atheists don't like to believe it but atheism is actually a very faithful religion.

We aren't supposed to take the bible literally. The bible was put into figurative language to help us understand better. Genesis would be the best example. One day in Genesis when he created the world could have been millions of years. It said that God created the animals and then man. In the bible it also says "Let us make something in our image." or something in the like, and then creates man. Could that possibly explain evolution.

There as you see is how science and religion come together.
Not really when it was written the Bible was meant to be taken literally. People were much different back then and needed simpler explanations to figure out how the world worked. Also the bible was originally written in Latin IIRC. Easy to lose plenty in translation. Science has an approximal timeline of humans despite some missing links but the bible and science have some contradictory ideals.

Chronic Alchemy

Smash Rookie
So now everyone MUST listen to the church? That's ridiculous. How about they hand out condoms, so people won't die? The issue had nothing to do with religion. Also, it's not like these Africans can afford condoms. They can't even afford to buy food.
FLOFL!!!
Gawd, no need to be racist, just to tell the truth...

and Jio, the Bible says alot of things, and not that clearly...

Top Bottom