• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I see that there's mention of Team Attack On, so I was wondering if there would be a team tournament or maybe informal team play. If not, are there any plans to have a team tournament in the foreseeable future? I'm coming anyway, most likely, but I'm just curious. The last Gameware tournament I went to was a heck of a lot of fun.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
this past tournament really makes me want to get better. i want to be the best DK, but i dont know where i should draw his limits. Its suicide to use him against DDD, stupid against falco and wario, and asking alot versus snake, gw, diddy, and lucario. I feel like i've run dry out of all of his tricks, and whats left is just trying to master all the matchups.

i got back into working on my pika for some of those matchups, but how many 2ndaries do i need?.. and at what point would i not really be representing DK? I would surely miss being "that DK guy."

I think i've settled that: even if i dont use DK over half the time, it doesn't mean he's not my best. It just so happens my 'best' isn't always the best choice.
I realize u can't really plan everything out in smash- who u'll use for which characters, on what stages, what kind of playstyles, and what if you're wrong, whats your backup's backup... Just gotta go with your instinct and learn from the past. I just believe things aren't as easy as they seem, but they're never as hard as they seem either. You just lost the game.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Teams might happen. Usually, our side tournaments are after Singles, so it depends on the interest of the players who are still there. Basically, I can't really say for sure right now.

CJ the Illest

Smash Cadet
Roni should not have been knocked out. That pool had way too many good people in it especially John/Cyphus. It was to my understanding that John beat Cyphus in pools though. I know that you beat Cyphus last tournament and in pools and i am certain that the only reason he went dk was to see if he could get your Snake with it this time. I am confident that Cyphus would have won with Kirby or Luigi (but i mean after all its just pools). I just don't want your head to get too big ran bc you beat Cyphus. We should start discussing a power ranking. I'll start with my honest opinions. I hope this can be discussed in a reasonable manner and keep in mind this is MY opinion and is meant to be discussed with your top 10 in the rankings(Top 10)

1. Lee - I won't go into detail here.
2. Sudai - Has proven to be A top notch player on multiple occasions. Is no doubt 2nd best in LA. His ROB is very sexy and pretty unbeatable. Professional camper. :]
3. Nikzor- His DDD is broken. He always comes extremely close to beating me along with Sudai and has an advantage on Cyphus's Dk which is obvioius and he doesn't have a problem with Ran. He also always places well.
4. Cyphus- From playing Cyphus and Ran, Cyphus still has a huge edge in the game its just that i know he used Dk in pools. No offense Ran, but like i stated earlier I'm pretty certain Cyphus would have went Kirby Or weegee in an actual tourney match.
5. Ran- Places 5th on average and is learning a better MK for the bad matchups against snake. He is a very competent player and has the potential to move up in rankings.
6. John-Hyrulian Royalty(Toon Link)- One of the best toon links i have ever played. I believe he is very capable of beating the above people with more (offline) practice. :D John will move up in the power rankings as long as his game continues to improve which i know it will.
7. Jiovanni- A very smart player and amazing Kirby. He is Always improving and has ridiculous mindgames. I see him taking even higher places in the tournaments to come.
8. CJ - NEEDS To play us more bc i know you should be placing higher than you have been lately.:p. A very smart snake user but could use a little more offline practice. We should play more ^_^
9. Roni- A very smart player. His MK is getting extremely scary now and he is definetely a huge threat with mindgames to defeat many. Has a really good Mk/IC's/Pit and has mirror shielded Cyphus.
10. Chaddly- A really great Pokemon trainer who is actually good with ALL of the pkmn. His elite four are pretty amazing.

Discuss / maybe post your own opinions so we can all agree on a Solid Top 10
ok.. this is REALLY messed up. but lees honest opinion. and i understand that.
im struggling to understand how from last power ranking. that i go from 2 to 8. when in every tourny that i attend. i come in top 3. lol. lets look at my record.

i have a losing record against lee. i think in tournys its 0-3
cyphus: is 1-1. or 2-1 me. i cant remember. until this last tourny it was 2-0 me. and we went to game 3. and he gimped me twice on battlefield. lol
sudai: 2-1 me in tourny matchs.
nick: never played him in a tourny. and is my cousin btw and play friends every now and then. resulting in close games.
ran: 2-0 me in tournys.
john?: i dont even kno what this guy looks like. and never played him.
Jiovanni: this is the only person that i ever play friendlies with. and completely knows my strat. not to mention he plays kirby. who in my opinion,, pwns snake. every match is close. last tourny when he beat me. game 1 was an embarrisment for me. i think i went in like i was gunna win no matter wat. he won. game 2, i realize that hes for real and i 3 stock him. game 3, forget wat i did to win game 2 and close at the end. with me thinking that my utilt killed him. and him fsmashing me. lol

CJ the Illest

Smash Cadet
ive thought about it. and realize now that lee's list has me soo low. because of the fact that he destroys me when we play. but when he plays cyphus, sudia.. its rly close. thats my conclusion to this amazing post. lol

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Roni should not have been knocked out. That pool had way too many good people in it especially John/Cyphus. It was to my understanding that John beat Cyphus in pools though. I know that you beat Cyphus last tournament and in pools and i am certain that the only reason he went dk was to see if he could get your Snake with it this time. I am confident that Cyphus would have won with Kirby or Luigi (but i mean after all its just pools). I just don't want your head to get too big ran bc you beat Cyphus. We should start discussing a power ranking. I'll start with my honest opinions. I hope this can be discussed in a reasonable manner and keep in mind this is MY opinion and is meant to be discussed with your top 10 in the rankings(Top 10)

2. Sudai - Has proven to be A top notch player on multiple occasions. Is no doubt 2nd best in LA. His ROB is very sexy and pretty unbeatable. Professional camper. :]
3. Nikzor- His DDD is broken. He always comes extremely close to beating me along with Sudai and has an advantage on Cyphus's Dk which is obvioius and he doesn't have a problem with Ran. He also always places well.
4. Cyphus- From playing Cyphus and Ran, Cyphus still has a huge edge in the game its just that i know he used Dk in pools. No offense Ran, but like i stated earlier I'm pretty certain Cyphus would have went Kirby Or weegee in an actual tourney match.
5. Ran- Places 5th on average and is learning a better MK for the bad matchups against snake. He is a very competent player and has the potential to move up in rankings.
6. John-Hyrulian Royalty(Toon Link)- One of the best toon links i have ever played. I believe he is very capable of beating the above people with more (offline) practice. :D John will move up in the power rankings as long as his game continues to improve which i know it will.
7. Jiovanni- A very smart player and amazing Kirby. He is Always improving and has ridiculous mindgames. I see him taking even higher places in the tournaments to come.
8. CJ - NEEDS To play us more bc i know you should be placing higher than you have been lately.:p. A very smart snake user but could use a little more offline practice. We should play more ^_^
9. Roni- A very smart player. His MK is getting extremely scary now and he is definetely a huge threat with mindgames to defeat many. Has a really good Mk/IC's/Pit and has mirror shielded Cyphus.
10. Chaddly- A really great Pokemon trainer who is actually good with ALL of the pkmn. His elite four are pretty amazing.

Also, I agree whole heartedly with this list.

I'd like to see some more effort from the lower class people in this game, like Bomber, though. I think with some practice with the bigger names, he could rise to around #7 on that list. That is, if he was willing to put in the time and dedication to get better.

Oh crap, I need to pass the torch of "Worst in State", don't I?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
the thing CJ, is that we have many players of same level, and high probability of beating one another.
you, me, sudai, ran, nick, john (imho) are at that same 'level'. i'd say giovanni, pierre, chad, and johnwu are right behind for their own reasons (character choice, inconsistency, or lack of experience, etc)
And what is most recent gets priority, so where someone might be "10th" in someone's opinion now, might be 3rd after seeing them do great the very next tournament.
I think attention needs to be put on specific matchups-not just tournament placings. Example: this past touranemnt Sudai had a pretty easy trip to the winner's finals.(no offense =] i love you). He avoided me, CJ, Ran, John, and Lee (until the finals) if i'm not mistaken. I fought lee 2nd, CJ, and John.

---------------
this is just out of my own boredom...
my current opinions on DK's matchups (assuming infinites/chainthrows, and camping is correctly used and spammed on the majority of stages)

90:10 DDD
70:30 Falco
65: Diddy, Ice
60:40 Wario, Snake, GW, MK
55:45 ROB, Toon, Lucario
-the rest is 50 or in DK's favor, or..i honestly don't know- Olimar/Kirby/Pika.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Ricky, I'm so sorry, I brought home your AV cables with me... T_T After all that effort to give them back to you I took them anyway, I am SO sorry. =(

Now I guess I'll post my opinion on the power rankings...

1. Really no need for discussion here. Lee just wins and beats us all and is vary vary sexy. >.>
2. I'm in agreement here, Sudai just knows how to analyze situations and always does well. Pro camper indeed. ;)
3. I'm flattered but I'm not sure I deserve the #3 spot... I can do really well against a lot of LA's best but I still think there could be some people above me. That's just me though.
4. Cyphus is a great player and I definitely feel he needs to be in the top 5 no questions asked. He knows what he's doing and I know he's come up with a way to deal with his bad matchups, just watch and see. =) "Can't have **** without ape!"
5. Ran's a pretty good player who consistently places well and knows how to use snake really well. His MK isn't bad either, so he could move up, absolutely.
6. John is omg amazing. He really knows what he's doing with T. Link and I can definitely see him shooting up with more tourney attendance. And this is/was without DI. =X
7. Jiovanni surprised the heck out of me. He literally improved as Sunday went on and I got to witness it. Smart Kirby and I definitely agree, he has really good mindgames. I fell for a few. XD
8. CJ (definitely my cousin =3 <3) may only be here due to his last tourney's performance but I feel he should be much higher up than this. I'm pretty positive he'll prove this at the next tourney.
9. Roni is gonna overcome, he just had a slight setback. He is so much better than what we all saw Sunday, I'm not quite sure what happened. I played him the night before and it was SO close. He will show you himself on the 16th tho I'm sure. >=)
10. I never got a chance to play Chaddly's P.Trainer, but I have a LOT of vids of him that I got to glance over yesterday. It looks really good, but I feel the same as Sudai in that either him or Pierre could go here.

And with that, I hope everyone has a Happy and SAFE New Year. =D Don't blow yourselves up, especially your hands, we need those. =O <3 Everyone! ^_^

Edit: Cyphus, I think Sudai did have to fight John in the winner's semi-finals, but hey now he had to fight me twice XP. But he knows how to counter me better than almost anyone here (I mean... He did teach me everything I know <3 Subai-sensei =3), so I would agree that that wasn't hard for him.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Teams might happen. Usually, our side tournaments are after Singles, so it depends on the interest of the players who are still there. Basically, I can't really say for sure right now.
Cool, thanks. I'd love to see how teams go at this level of play.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
i messed up in my list. Cj was supposed to be 5th in my list. He always places top 3 minus last tourney. but sorry about that. he's definetely better than 8th :D

i had wrote a lot more about everybody.and then my computer blew up. OMG. in short.
Sudai travels OOS and knows a lot of matches/placed well at hobo.
Nick i put 3rd bc his d3 negates cyphus's dk. and he's been getting better.
Cyphus *****.
CJ deserves 5th if not higher. We'll see more at the next gameware monthly.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
HyrulianRoyalty: John is too common a name, and HyrulianRoyalty is too long...
ur new nickname is Hyro for short.
maybe.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Cyphus, I think Sudai did have to fight John in the winner's semi-finals, but hey now he had to fight me twice XP. But he knows how to counter me better than almost anyone here (I mean... He did teach me everything I know <3 Subai-sensei =3), so I would agree that that wasn't hard for him.
Hey now, Nick.. I may not play anymore, but I think I deserve some of the credit for that one too.. =P

I'm pretty sure the list would change quite a bit if some of us still played, but it seems like tourney attendance is dropping a lot now. Only 20-ish people last time? Crud..

I think the side tourney at Gameware should be Vaughn's Gauntlet..

And Redson, just give the title back to Battou. =D

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
You do, Vaughn. You taught me a lot too. You were more of the "fighting" side of the learning while Sudai was more of the "theory/technique-teaching" side, even though you both did both as well. It's the only reason I've gotten this far. =D

I think the 20 people attendance was due to the holidays mostly. I could also be proven very wrong as well, we'll just have to see.

I second the vote for Hyro. ^_^

And thanks Lee. =3 <3333

Hyro

Smash Lord
HyrulianRoyalty: John is too common a name, and HyrulianRoyalty is too long...
ur new nickname is Hyro for short.
maybe.
lol

I have a bunch of nicknames, Hyrule, Hyrulian, but the most shortest being H_R.

And I don't think I'm good enough to be on the power rankings...I think the only reason I did half decent is because you guys didn't have experience against Toon Links. :(

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
would this be an accurate list of the characters we use? What could be edited/added? (ignore the order, please)

Lee: Lucario, MK/Diddy/Marth
Sudai: ROB..Lucario
Nick: DDD, Wolf
Cyph: DK, Kirby/Lu..Pika
CJ: Snake, DDD
Ran: Snake..MK
Hyro: Toon

Wu: Pit/Lucario, Falco
Pierre: Lucas
Jio: Kirby, Snake
Chad: Trainer, Snake
Roni: MK, Falco/Ice

RickyB

Smash Cadet
Happy New years eve everyone

Nick i totally forgot about the cables don't even worry about em' just give them to me next time you see me.

And Hyro is like the best nickname ever you should use that from now on John.

r0ni

Smash Cadet
god *** this list, im glad to be on it and what not but like...im so pissed about the tourny sunday and like.....*** ran you didnt have to fuking specificly point me out that i got out in pools. god think about your actions before you make them......*** ....happy new years.... 9. Roni is gonna overcome, he just had a slight setback. He is so much better than what we all saw Sunday, I'm not quite sure what happened. I played him the night before and it was SO close. He will show you himself on the 16th tho I'm sure. >=)
. thanks for this nick....i love you :D

-Edit-also cyphus, my characters as of now are gonna be falco,mk, and ic's

D

Deleted member

happy noob year. im really ****ed up right now. ive actually been debatiting religion all night, but the oposite side from what im used too. my sisters new bf is just so matter-of-fact about everyone and i try to make him realize that while i have faith, you cant be so certain about such topics, but it was a waste of time.

im drunk as ****.

all the brawl talk is boring,

is john (hyrulian_royality), john wu?

i want to play tee before he leaves. i want to play nes right now.

im in pass christian, but i didnt drive so i wont be able to play nes tomorrow. come to BR before you leave, please. if i have to mm you to get you to come, then i'll do it. im pretty awesome at melee.

eric moved his desk top and the router upstairs so i havent checked swf in a while. that kind of suked but w/e

i broke up with grace and im hanging out with a new older girl named Kaya. it broke my heart to leave grace, but these things happen.

i felt like i had to make a big post to make up for my week of absence. wish me luck on not getting alcohol poisoning. good night all.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
New Years. Got drunk with dad, end of story lol

Man, I gotta make it on one of the lists in LA <_< Melee or Brawl.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I think the question is who didn't get drunk last night? I'm hung over from playing Kings, and then got two friends to try smash-drinking with items on in brawl. That was funny... From what I remember... >.<

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I made up a drinking game for last night. You watch Alpha Dog and drink for every curse used. For some scenes, it's impossible to keep up.

Added benefit of getting to make fun of such a stupid movie while buzzed.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
whats up LA thread Im hanging out in jacksonville playing lunar sssc......i feel like **** though...... too much sake last night.....

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Oh you guys and your alcohol. I'm underage B&, so I settle for Monster Energy Drink. I've had 7 cans in one hour. Yaaaay cardiac arrest.

In other news, it's getting closer! The candidates for WORST IN STATE right now are Bomber and Battou. We'll have to have a worst in state match, soon. And I have to see it, before I leave. (Which is in like...five days? Not even? I dunno. Too lazy to count.)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
who gets it if I'm in too much of a cr@ppy a** mood and a really apathetic mood to do a sh*tty match like that Red? I know I'm horrible but do I really have to show something to everyone that they already know?

Besides I'm getting to where I'm losing my interest in Brawl. I barely touched the game this week. I'd rather be "sniping" on Starwars Battlefront than playing Brawl. I'll still go to tournies and all and friendly at your place but other than that have no interest for the game. Not to mention having no skill I cant say I've lost any edge on my game cuz I had none to begin with =/

Sudai

Stuff here
I, also, didn't drink last night, but happy new years to all anyway.

r0ni definitely kissed me on the lips last night at the stroke of midnight though, lawl.

ranmasama

Smash Rookie
do people play brawl regularly at dibbz or do you guys normally hit the boards before yall go. A few of my friends want to play some competition. I thought maybe I'd show them what real competition is instead of what we are used to playing online since thats the only type we play.

Also do you have to pay to use their tvs? I've only been to dibbz twice so I don't know how that works.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
people usually appear on fridays or saturdays. it's usually posted here before we go and its 5$ for an entire day and night for a tv unless you leave for an extended period of time

Top Bottom