• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

-Ran

Smash Master
How absolute is your ban on MK? As in, if both players agree, can MK be used?
Just one Meta Knight free tournament is all I ask for. If people want to play Mk, they can do it in friendlies/money matches.

I remember that you mentioned wanting weeklies in order to keep up with OOS players. While once a month tournaments aren't enough for us to keep up with other areas, I think weekly is too much for us to handle. In short, as a TO, I think we need to build the community carefully. Too many tournaments for too few players will cut attendance.
I'm not saying a full blown tournament every week. I mean just holding a get together every Friday for those that can come, and do money matches/whatever/spur of the moment mini tournaments. These would be for people to experiment with other mains/get match up experiences, etc. It's not something that BR would have to come down to, or Nola go up to BR for. It'd just be if you're in the area, great. If not? See you at the actual tournaments.

I agree that we need to work on fostering newer players, and making each other better. New Orleans has plenty of untapped n00bs that we can pull in through Dibbz. Guys, if you see someone doing something wrong, or see something that they can do better, TELL THEM. If you see that I'm doing some horrible thing every time, let me know, and I'll do the same for you. We need to get better as a group, or else we're going to underachieve when we go to bigger tournaments.

This is the issue with a competitive game. You either work together as a team, or keep secrets from each other which results in reducing the overall skill of the group. If we keep informing each other of our flaws, and continue to refine our game, we'll stay competitive with each other, since we're always trying to become better. The dilemma is that money is to be made at the local scene, and to make your average player decent, and your decent player good, begins to threaten your possibility at reaching the money standings.

-

In other news, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just a 'decent Snake' player that thinks he knows too much about Smash. I'm no longer going to read any section of Smash Boards aside from the Regional Threads/Tournament threads. Everything else can go f00k itself. I feel that by reading and acquiring 'flawed text book knowledge' of the game, that I've put a road block on my skill level. I'm relying too much on what I've read, instead of my own insights midmatch. Theory Brothers =/= Smash Brothers. I haven't played the game nearly enough to take the step from decent to good, and then to great. I'm working on changing that.

Sudai

Stuff here
In other news, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just a 'decent Snake' player that thinks he knows too much about Smash. I'm no longer going to read any section of Smash Boards aside from the Regional Threads/Tournament threads. Everything else can go f00k itself. I feel that by reading and acquiring 'flawed text book knowledge' of the game, that I've put a road block on my skill level. I'm relying too much on what I've read, instead of my own insights midmatch. Theory Brothers =/= Smash Brothers. I haven't played the game nearly enough to take the step from decent to good, and then to great. I'm working on changing that.
That's stupid. Theory, even false theory, will help you improve. Know why I'm good? I read (quite literally) every character forum on a regular basis. The trick is filtration. Filter the things you know won't work or just wouldn't be worth the hassle (seriously, has anyone looked at draconic reversing with Yoshi? 3 button imputs in 6 frames to slide a very short distance, and if you mess up, you just wasted your DJ AND you're doing an attack in the air putting you in an easy place to punish [/siderant]), and then you try anything that seems like it might work. You don't try it during matches that matter though. You try it in learning matches.

That reminds me: Tip to Louisiana: Don't restrict yourself to just friendlies outside of tournaments. Learning matches are seriously important. Don't play these to win, play these to try cool new ****. People did this all the time and still had fun back in Melee, but I've yet to see many people do that in Brawl..

BravoNavo

Smash Rookie
That reminds me: Tip to Louisiana: Don't restrict yourself to just friendlies outside of tournaments. Learning matches are seriously important. Don't play these to win, play these to try cool new ****. People did this all the time and still had fun back in Melee, but I've yet to see many people do that in Brawl..
Also, Training mode is highly underrated.

Pritch

Smash Lord
The akuma/metaknight/ravager/etc comic was amazing. Though akuma's WAAAAAY more broke than mk would ever dream of being. And I'd have picked some other stuff besides ravager for broken stuff in magic, but I guess that's one of the more recognizable ones since it's fairly recent (no love for skullclamp though?).

Minor nitpicks though, the comic was sweet.

Sudai

Stuff here
Also, Training mode is highly underrated.
Actually, brawl is probably the worst fighter to use training mode in. In most fighters there's combos and actual tech skill, not so true in brawl. You don't get the effects of DI and you don't experience move decay within training mode. I really wish training mode were good in brawl, but it's definitely not. :/

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Pritch. I found that in another thread. =]

All of these suggestions are great. Also understanding the mechanics of all of the characters is a great way to learn as well. Play with them more and you'll at least get a basic strategy of how they fight so your prediction skills will go up. This does not happen without practice, however.

As far as MK goes, no one has asked me or anyone else who has fought him before how to fight against him effectively. I had some good theories and was not afraid to look into new ones as well. I was just mostly mad that no one seemed to really want to put in the effort to practice the matchup. For this, I apologize.

I'm moving to only the sidelines now. That's only where I should be I think.

BravoNavo

Smash Rookie
Actually, brawl is probably the worst fighter to use training mode in. In most fighters there's combos and actual tech skill, not so true in brawl. You don't get the effects of DI and you don't experience move decay within training mode. I really wish training mode were good in brawl, but it's definitely not. :/
You do have a point there, but I agree with you on not always playing your best. It helps you refine your minor techniques.

It's a shame that Smash's training mode is so useless in that sense. I loved 3rd Strike's training mode. Taught me how to parry. ;)

EDIT: Vaughn, it's not about the game. It's about PRACTICE!

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm moving to only the sidelines now. That's only where I should be I think.
That's where I like to be. I do love to jump in and point out fallacies and misinformation though. :o

/welcomes Vaughn to the sidelines.

It's a shame that Smash's training mode is so useless in that sense. I loved 3rd Strike's training mode. Taught me how to parry. ;)
I seriously agree. I played Tekken 5: DR with David (XSniper) a lot one night after I spent about an hour in training mode learning to do the juggles for Christie and granted, I only won 1-2 full sets, just learning the basic techs and combos in training helped me out a lot. Brawl you can't really do that... : (

BravoNavo

Smash Rookie
I seriously agree. I played Tekken 5: DR with David (XSniper) a lot one night after I spent about an hour in training mode learning to do the juggles for Christie and granted, I only won 1-2 full sets, just learning the basic techs and combos in training helped me out a lot. Brawl you can't really do that... : (
Christie can't hold a candle to Eddie Gordo. That's where the win's at!
(I'm more of a Virtua Fighter 5 person, though :) )

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Can somebody give me the link to where you sign up for the NO Monthly? I had my thing rescheduled and I don't feel like trying to find it like 20 pages back.

RickyB

Smash Cadet
Link for me, probably. Bombs and bow are too good. :\
shut the f()ck up redson i hate you. nah man i'm just kidding you know i love you...

can't wait for friday. We have to leave right after the tourney, :ohwell: brandon has work and i'm going on a random adventure to lafayette.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I would but I live in BR. :(

I'm thinking I might go Mario. I enjoy him. :D Since I'll actually more than likely be there for the low tier tournament. Hooray. ^_^

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Just one Meta Knight free tournament is all I ask for. If people want to play Mk, they can do it in friendlies/money matches.
That's fine. I was mostly curious.

Ran Iji said:
I'm not saying a full blown tournament every week. I mean just holding a get together every Friday for those that can come, and do money matches/whatever/spur of the moment mini tournaments. These would be for people to experiment with other mains/get match up experiences, etc. It's not something that BR would have to come down to, or Nola go up to BR for. It'd just be if you're in the area, great. If not? See you at the actual tournaments.
When you said weekly, I thought you meant actual tournaments. Smashfests and the like are definitely awesome for in between weeks. Moreso than playing with regularity, playing new people is essential for upping one's game.

Ricky, it sucks to hear that Houma is gonna have to leave right afterwards, but I'm glad you're making the trip. It'll be fun.

But yeah, I'm getting excited for Gameware. I haven't a clue whoto go for low-tier. Jiggly maybe? Lucas seems kinda fun, too.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I talked to OK guys (Kos-Mos, Thien (diddy), etc), and they said Louisiana is too good. Especially Lee.

<3

Also, come to Oh Snap.

There will be Melee, and I will win singles.

-Ran

Smash Master
Back home from Dibbz since I need to wash clothes/watch movies. Jiovanni, Lee, and John were there when I left.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Exactly lol.

Also, this morning on the way to school, I watched a car get forward smashed by a F350 Jacked up!
:urg:

f-350s DOMINATE all other vehicles in terms of crashes/durability

except metal slugs. they got guns and sh^t

the new fire emblem (and by new i mean new version of old game) looks pretty decent. i need to pick up that and kirby for ds.

ill eventually get a psp with mgpo

BravoNavo

Smash Rookie
:urg:

f-350s DOMINATE all other vehicles in terms of crashes/durability

except metal slugs. they got guns and sh^t

the new fire emblem (and by new i mean new version of old game) looks pretty decent. i need to pick up that and kirby for ds.

ill eventually get a psp with mgpo
Kirby for DS is the ****.
Also... Sakura is in SFIV

Top Bottom