• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel like even if it's likely, a Pokemon newcomer isn't guarenteed this time around. There are less newcomers than before, so Sakurai might have decided to skip a Pokemon since the series is already highly represented. We also don't have a real stand out Pokemon for gen 7. Sure, Lycanroc is currently being pushed, but only recently. Mimikyu probably wasn't anticipated to be as popular as he is and Decidueye is just another starter. Also, maybe Sakurai wanted to wait until he knew who was popular and maybe add them as DLC?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
With what happened with Greninja, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a gen 8 rep
Maybe. I just feel like we have a good number of reps for Pokémon at the moment with all of them coming back. The current saturation of which could influence Sakurai's decision of adding a new one.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Which popularity came first: the Smash or the Pokemon? That is the question for Greninja.
It's an interesting question, but I have no doubt in my mind that the Pokemon Company pushed Greninja because of his inclusion in Smash. In my mind, this is something a lot of people seem to brush off. Plans can change because of Smash since it's such a big deal in terms of marketing. Oddly enough, I do think this slightly relates to Ashley due to her major push in the badge arcade and 'Ashley's future" being teased when it was over. With that said, in terms of Pokemon, there are a few ones I have in mind. Incineroar, Mimikyu and Zeraora (albeit for very unorthodox reasons). Those are my predictions for the Pokemon Smash Newcomer.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's an interesting question, but I have no doubt in my mind that the Pokemon Company pushed Greninja because of his inclusion in Smash. In my mind, this is something a lot of people seem to brush off. Plans can change because of Smash since it's such a big deal in terms of marketing. Oddly enough, I do think this slightly relates to Ashley due to her major push in the badge arcade and 'Ashley's future" being teased when it was over. With that said, in terms of Pokemon, there are a few ones I have in mind. Incineroar, Mimikyu and Zeraora (albeit for very unorthodox reasons). Those are my predictions for the Pokemon Smash Newcomer.
I agree that Incineroar and Mimikyu have pretty good chances, but why Zeraora?
I'm pretty sure it's a little late for that.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Honestly though, even if there's less newcomers, that could be anywhere from 5-12. Sakurai's wording was along the lines of "I hope you're not expecting too many new fighters this time", which could just mean he wants less hype

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
One thing I want to point out about Ashley's Mii outfit is that wave 6 was released after December 2015 when the roster was finalized. So sales for Ashley's outfit would not have been taken into acount.

Out of wave 6 Takamaru and Knuckles have been deconfirmed as assists. Tails is still on the table and as for Gil well...

I'd say if a wave 6 Mii outfit were to graduate to playable It's going to be Ashley hands down.

That being said I don't know how Pokemon became the recent subject but, after Pichu, Squirtle and, Ivysaur returning I'm starting to wonder if we'll even get a gen 7 Pokemon for base game. We might have to wait for DLC for gen 8.

If a Pokemon does get in, however, I don't see it impeading on Ashley's chances.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I agree that Incineroar and Mimikyu have pretty good chances, but why Zeraora?
I'm pretty sure it's a little late for that.
That's particularly why I said it was an unorthodox reason. IMO, the design for that thing just screams "This was made for Smash." Basically, the only way I see it working is if Sakurai wasn't sold on any of the pokemon from Gen 7 for Smash and as a compromise, GF designed a new Pokemon explicitly for that purpose. It's an admitted long shot and not one I'm willing to bet on. It's just something I see as plausible based on it's design

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
One thing I want to point out about Ashley's Mii outfit is that wave 6 was released after December 2015 when the roster was finalized. So sales for Ashley's outfit would not have been taken into acount.

Out of wave 6 Takamaru and Knuckles have been deconfirmed as assists. Tails is still on the table and as for Gil well...

I'd say if a wave 6 Mii outfit were to graduate to playable It's going to be Ashley hands down.

That being said I don't know how Pokemon became the recent subject but, after Pichu, Squirtle and, Ivysaur returning I'm starting to wonder if we'll even get a gen 7 Pokemon for base game. We might have to wait for DLC for gen 8.

If a Pokemon does get in, however, I don't see it impeading on Ashley's chances.
Well now I'm a bit worried lol. Maybe all those characters were added as consolation prizes for doing well in the ballot but not well enough to be in the next game? I really hope that's not the case. It's probably more likely it was easy to make an Ashley Mii costume because of the assist trophy anyways. Also, I don't think we can say for sure her costume sales or anything after December 2015 didn't potentially affect her chances. She might have began as a low priority character but was upgraded to a higher priority one due to events happening in 2016.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
That's not how you spell Poipole...

I wish
UR DARN TOOTIN THAT AINT HOW YOU SPELL IT. I MEANT WHAT I SAID AND I SAID WHAT I MEANT. :)

Well now I'm a bit worried lol. Maybe all those characters were added as consolation prizes for doing well in the ballot but not well enough to be in the next game? I really hope that's not the case. It's probably more likely it was easy to make an Ashley Mii costume because of the assist trophy anyways. Also, I don't think we can say for sure her costume sales or anything after December 2015 didn't potentially affect her chances. She might have began as a low priority character but was upgraded to a higher priority one due to events happening in 2016.
I think the true story isn't quite so complex. I'm certain that the majority of DLC was planned out ahead of time, meaning that the decision to include an Ashley Mii Costume predates the February 2016 release. And even if it didn't, that doesn't mean that Ashley is disconfirmed. At the bare minimum, Sakurai had Ashley on the mind, and figured that she was a profitable enough character to turn into a purchasable Mii Costume.

Edit: I also agree that sales figures didn't affect whether or not Ashley is in the game. That being said, it's not like those figures were made public, anyway...

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
This is one of the few characters I was thinking about since Smash 4 (other than a couple DK characters everyone knows and Sceptile). I honestly hope Ashley makes the cut this time around because of some unique moveset potential as well as being from a less repped series. And not being revealed as an AT during E3 significantly increases her chances, considering her and shadow were some of the staples when it came to assists, and both were mysteriously missing at E3, which showed 30+ ATs.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Aight, learning from last time, what do you all think are the chances that something comes out of this tournament?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Aight, learning from last time, what do you all think are the chances that something comes out of this tournament?
Nothing ever comes out of these aside from regional promotion. Directs and Smash presentations are what announcements are for.

Slim. Which works for me, as I have Vinny and Joel from Vinesauce's streams to watch tonight.
Are the charity livestreams still going on?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm honestly ok with waiting a while for reveals as long as they're for good characters like Ashley, K. Rool, or Bandanna Dee. At this point though, I do think that the missing gamer stage could be announced with ashley, or fountain of dreams for bandanna dee. Hopefully this truly is the ultimate fanservice.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I won't to be able to watch most of the stream, but I trust that you will all scream if something interesting happens.

Also how many of these streams are they doing, is this the last one?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I'm honestly ok with waiting a while for reveals as long as they're for good characters like Ashley, K. Rool, or Bandanna Dee. At this point though, I do think that the missing gamer stage could be announced with ashley, or fountain of dreams for bandanna dee. Hopefully this truly is the ultimate fanservice.
I'm not counting on popular stages like that being saved for reveals, but hopefully we do get the favorites

I know this is probably fake af, but this is honestly the ideal roster for the game.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm not counting on popular stages like that being saved for reveals, but hopefully we do get the favorites
I'm hoping we get at least one of Jungle Hijinx, Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats, Fountain of Dreams, and Sector Z. Not hard to do as most of those are fairly popular/not shredded on as being bad

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm hoping we get at least one of Jungle Hijinx, Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats, Fountain of Dreams, and Sector Z. Not hard to do as most of those are fairly popular/not shredded on as being bad

Add Brinstar Depths and Hanenbow to that list and you've got the ULTIMATE stage roster (along with the new stuff, of course).

And as far as newcomers go, I'm feeling optimistic. Something about this game gives me a pretty adventurous, fan-pleasing vibe. Perhaps it was bringing back literally every veteran and adding the meme dragon himself, I dunno.

At this rate, I just need Ashley and K. Rool and the game will truly be ULTIMATE. I wouldn't complain at all about Isaac, Geno, and Marx, either...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Add Brinstar Depths and Hanenbow to that list and you've got the ULTIMATE stage roster (along with the new stuff, of course).

And as far as newcomers go, I'm feeling optimistic. Something about this game gives me a pretty adventurous, fan-pleasing vibe. Perhaps it was bringing back literally every veteran and adding the meme dragon himself, I dunno.

At this rate, I just need Ashley and K. Rool and the game will truly be ULTIMATE. I wouldn't complain at all about Isaac, Geno, and Marx, either...
Honestly, not a fan of most of the stages they've already announced (other than stuff like spear pillar and the new ones)

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I know this is probably fake af, but this is honestly the ideal roster for the game.

Yup this is definently fake. They used Decidueye’s Japanese name, but they used Isaac’s English name.

I do agree that this roster would be amazing tho.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Honestly, not a fan of most of the stages they've already announced (other than stuff like spear pillar and the new ones)
I've never been too fickle about stages, but there were a few that I always loved as a kid, so it would suck if they got left out (especially when Smashville comes back, of all stages).

I know it's a longshot, but I'm really hoping Miiverse returns. All they need to do is implement a comment system like Splatoon 2 did and it serves the same purpose. I know it's just cosmetically-different Battlefield, but I've always had a softspot for the one-off quirky stages.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Been gone for a bit. Just noticed Ashley's WarioWare voice was revealed. Kinda shocked me at first. For some reason I expected the odd voice she's had in the past, but I don't hate it. It fits her, though she sounds older than I expected, but she's considered a teenager at least in the US market so hmm. I was like wat at first but I like it now.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Haruhi, it has been forever since we've seen you. Welcome back to the Ashley support Thread.

As I said before, I'm just glad her voice doesn't sound too childish and such, such a relief.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Haruhi, it has been forever since we've seen you. Welcome back
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

this is honestly the ideal roster for the game.

Honestly? In terms of brand new fighters, this is perfect IMO.
But since echo fighters are a thing now, I would like to see more characters whose only chance to get in Smash is by being an echo fighter.

Daisy was a nice surprise.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You mean like Shadow or Dark Samus?
Dark Samus had a chance as a unique character for Smash 4. In fact, it's going to be weird if she goes from AT with her own unique attacks to a playable clone of Samus.

At least Kamek isn't already in because there would probably be people clamoring for Ashley to be his Echo.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'd rather not have alot of the echos just be dark versions of the character, Dark Samus would be way cooler as her own fighter, the onlydark character I'd be okay with would be Hilda.

Top Bottom