• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm not counting on popular stages like that being saved for reveals, but hopefully we do get the favorites

I know this is probably fake af, but this is honestly the ideal roster for the game.

Well definatly fake since Isaac is english

But all except rayman, decidueye (Japan shoulder shrugs that Pokémon) B&K, and Isaac seems like a likely scenario

But positive most are ballot/fan focus choices and a few are ones no one exspect

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Well... I have a good 78 pages to skim-read through of my fifth most wanted, and many others. Glad to see the love and support for Ashley is strong!

Quick question(s) regarding Ashley's implementation though, which may or may not have already been brought up in this thread, but what is everyone thoughts concerning how much Ashley's move-set needs to reference the world and games of WarioWare? Do you believe all her spells need to reference WarioWare/should she have a mechanic referencing gameplay elements of WarioWare (such as the quickfire nature of their microgames) or do you think that it'd fine emphasising her character of a spellcasting witch without having to worry about how the moves tie-in to WarioWare?​

I'm not counting on popular stages like that being saved for reveals, but hopefully we do get the favorites

I know this is probably fake af, but this is honestly the ideal roster for the game.

I assume this is a supposed leak? I highly doubt any leak this early on is legit; we've still a good six months to go.

If it were true, whilst I'd be thrilled with the additions of Ashley and Bandanna Dee (and am already joyous about the known additions of Inkling and Ridley), I think I'd still be somewhat... disappointed. It lacks... surprise. Their all pretty well known characters (possible exception to Isaac, whose known on this site, but I'm unsure on his wider popularity) and the selection lacks any obscure or unusual choices. On a personal level, I'm also not a fan of the numerous 3rd party additions, and I think I'm in the rare camp of doubting Decidueye's chances (if Sakurai wanted a flying archer styled character, you'd think he would done that sort of move-set with Pit). Again though, highly doubt this is a legit leak due to the early nature and lack of surprise to it.

Dark Samus had a chance as a unique character for Smash 4. In fact, it's going to be weird if she goes from AT with her own unique attacks to a playable clone of Samus.

At least Kamek isn't already in because there would probably be people clamoring for Ashley to be his Echo.
Honestly, I think any character has a chance to be unique, so it's always disappointing when they are included as a clone, let alone an echo. I'm sure there are many who know of Dark Samus' potential for a unique move-set, but simply expect their inclusion to be that of an Echo Fighter; expectations over want. Whilst I think Kamek would be a nice addition (a 2nd Yoshi rep would be cool), it is nice to not have folks assuming Ashley's inclusion could only come as an Echo Fighter (Dixie Kong seems to receive quite a bit of this negativity now).

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well definatly fake since Isaac is english

But all except rayman, decidueye (Japan shoulder shrugs that Pokémon) B&K, and Isaac seems like a likely scenario

But positive most are ballot/fan focus choices and a few are ones no one exspect
Rowlett is still very popular in Japan, and Decidueye is the final evolution of its line.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well... I have a good 78 pages to skim-read through of my fifth most wanted, and many others. Glad to see the love and support for Ashley is strong!

Quick question(s) regarding Ashley's implementation though, which may or may not have already been brought up in this thread, but what is everyone thoughts concerning how much Ashley's move-set needs to reference the world and games of WarioWare? Do you believe all her spells need to reference WarioWare/should she have a mechanic referencing gameplay elements of WarioWare (such as the quickfire nature of their microgames) or do you think that it'd fine emphasising her character of a spellcasting witch without having to worry about how the moves tie-in to WarioWare?​
Howdy, fellow Ashley supporter!​
I would like it a lot if Ashley was equal parts magic and microgame. I don't think that Wario does a very good job of representing WarioWare (or Wario Land, at that), so bringing in a more faithful representative would be cool.​
Now, how that would be executed is beyond me, but if anyone can come up with an enjoyable and balanced way to make that happen, it's Sakurai and his team.​
(All that being said, I'll be happy with whatever, so long as she's playable.)​

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would like it a lot if Ashley was equal parts magic and microgame. I don't think that Wario does a very good job of representing WarioWare (or Wario Land, at that), so bringing in a more faithful representative would be cool.​
Now, how that would be executed is beyond me, but if anyone can come up with an enjoyable and balanced way to make that happen, it's Sakurai and his team.​
We have a stage with actual microgames in it, is that not enough?

Really, until Game & Wario none of the Warioware characters other than Wario himself ever put themselves in their microgames. And Ashley in particular has no consistent theme for her microgames, so no matter what you reference with her it's going to look out of place unless it relates to her witchcraft.

Are people on this site so concentrated on competitive formats that they often forget game references not covered by playable characters but stages or items, or is it really that anything less than a playable reference is an insult?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Yeah I'd rather not have alot of the echos just be dark versions of the character, Dark Samus would be way cooler as her own fighter, the onlydark character I'd be okay with would be Hilda.
I'd like all the echoes to be dark versions so I could have a four player battle with edge bois dark pit, dark samus, shadow, and Hilda (although I don't think she is likely and would replace her with wolf). Seriously though, id be fine with shadow and dark samus, as they could really only get in as echoes. I think if I were to choose I'd rather have Isabelle or Impa though (if Impa wouldn't be able to make it in as a unique fighter). My number one echo would be Dixie if there was no other way, although I think she needs at least a different up b and dash attack. I doubt we'll get more than two or three more echoes though.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I'd like all the echoes to be dark versions so I could have a four player battle with edge bois dark pit, dark samus, shadow, and Hilda (although I don't think she is likely and would replace her with wolf). Seriously though, id be fine with shadow and dark samus, as they could really only get in as echoes. I think if I were to choose I'd rather have Isabelle or Impa though (if Impa wouldn't be able to make it in as a unique fighter). My number one echo would be Dixie if there was no other way, although I think she needs at least a different up b and dash attack. I doubt we'll get more than two or three more echoes though.
Hear me out, Dark dark pit as a echo of dark pit. In all seriousness similar to what you said, I would prefer characters like Impa and Isabelle, They're two of my most wanted echos actually, I mean at the end of the day I don't really care if dark echos get in cause more characters to beef up the roster, but dark versions of characters is one of the most overdone tropes in fiction that every time I see it happen I can't help but get annoyed, like I get it, the thing is they're supposed to defeat themselves to show character development, but still It's everywhere. Dixie would be cool, however if you're changing some of the moves then at that point it really isn't a echo any more, it's more of a Luigi, Young Link and Pichu situation.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Hear me out, Dark dark pit as a echo of dark pit. In all seriousness similar to what you said, I would prefer characters like Impa and Isabelle, They're two of my most wanted echos actually, I mean at the end of the day I don't really care if dark echos get in cause more characters to beef up the rooster, but dark versions of characters is one of the most overdone tropes in fiction that every time I see it happen I can't help but get annoyed, like I get it, the thing is they're supposed to defeat themselves to show character development, but still It's everywhere. Dixie would be cool, however if you're changing some of the moves then at that point it really isn't a echo any more, it's more of a Luigi, Young Link and Pichu situation.
I completely agree on the Dark Dark Pit idea. The roster just wouldn't be complete without such an iconic character. I agree having a bunch dark characters would be kind of annoying when they could be used to represent unique and more requested characters that just didn't make he cut (Impa and Isabelle). Three samus' might be a bit too much lol. Also, I only mentioned Dixie because she'd probably be a semi-echo so in not sure how Sakurai would classify her.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I only want three of those "leaked" characters, being K. Rool, Bandanna Dee, and Ashley. I personally hate Simon Belmont and think that snake should stay as Konami's sole rep.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
How were you supposed to figure that out...?

Also Isaac cannot be Isaac, as Isaac is Robin in Japanese, unless there are any other likely character's named isaac?
Not unless anyone would believe that Binding of Isaac would be represented for whatever reason. I doubt they wouldn't know that Isaac also had a different Japanese name, and I doubt Decidueye couldn't fit into 5 letters and not be understood.

Either way, why would any legitimate leak bother disguising their info with something so complex? Once it's decoded by fans, Nintendo would still find out that someone let it slip anyways.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Besides the aforementioned translation issue for Isaac, that roster is missing Geno who is pretty much mandatory

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yup this is definently fake. They used Decidueye’s Japanese name, but they used Isaac’s English name.

I do agree that this roster would be amazing tho.
I wouldn't dismiss it because of that. Maybe they wanted to be more cryptic about it or not confuse people by using Isaac's Japanese name, Robin, when we already have a Robin. Or maybe they just went with the Japanese pokemon name for no particular reason. I'm not sure what the inconsistent naming actually proves.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If this leak does end up being true, then I would have zero complaints. The only problem is that the list doesn't include a WTF character.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
We have a stage with actual microgames in it, is that not enough?

Really, until Game & Wario none of the Warioware characters other than Wario himself ever put themselves in their microgames. And Ashley in particular has no consistent theme for her microgames, so no matter what you reference with her it's going to look out of place unless it relates to her witchcraft.

Are people on this site so concentrated on competitive formats that they often forget game references not covered by playable characters but stages or items, or is it really that anything less than a playable reference is an insult?
It's funny that you're getting upset with me about not paying attention to stages or items, considering I was just showing concern for the return of Hanenbow a page or two back. Do you think I would do that because of competitive viability, or perhaps it was because I like the idea of an unorthodox stage themed after an old DS game that otherwise has no representation? It's almost as if I'm not as concentrated on competitive formats as you seem to think...

Each playable character comes from a series. The way that those characters behave is what makes those series what they are. It is only natural that a fan of Series X would want to see a playable representative from Series X behave as if they were from Series X. And, whether you like it or not, the playable characters in Smash are the big kahunas. They are on the box art, they get the flashy reveal trailers, they are the primary selling point, because they are the characters that the player controls, and they take the most development time to implement into the game. It only makes sense that a fan of a character wants to see elements of their favorite game in the character that they play as, regardless of whether or not that series also has a stage.

I am aware of the WarioWare stage. I am also aware that Ashley comes from the exact same franchise. Both of those things pull inspiration from the same source, and while Ashley herself is not a star in WarioWare's microgames, she does develop them for a living, so it would make sense to see them referenced.

As far as microgame references looking out of place...we're talking about WarioWare. There is very little rhyme or reason in WarioWare. I'm not saying that her entire moveset has to be "LOL RANDOM X3". I'm saying that it would be cool to see how Sakurai could pull from both of those aspects of Ashley's character to build a fully-fleshed playable Ashley. I don't know what that would look like, which is why I said that I think it would be cool to see what Sakurai does with the concept, because I sure as heck don't have any ideas.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
How were you supposed to figure that out...?

Also Isaac cannot be Isaac, as Isaac is Robin in Japanese, unless there are any other likely character's named isaac?
Well that dubunks it then.

The only other plausible character would be Isaac from Binding of Isaac.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Even if this leak didn't end up being true, I still see K. Rool and Bandanna Dee or Ashley being playable, with how popular they are. With the mii fighter costumes for Ashley and K. Rool, I'd be surprised if they aren't included. The only thing in this leak that makes no sense to me is simon belmont. Seems like he wasn't to popular until recently, and Konami already has a smash rep with Snake, which significantly throws off his chances.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Even if this leak didn't end up being true, I still see K. Rool and Bandanna Dee or Ashley being playable, with how popular they are. With the mii fighter costumes for Ashley and K. Rool, I'd be surprised if they aren't included. The only thing in this leak that makes no sense to me is simon belmont. Seems like he wasn't to popular until recently, and Konami already has a smash rep with Snake, which significantly throws off his chances.
I'm not a big Simon fan...at all, but to play devil's advocate, I noticed quite a few people around the Internet after Mega Man's reveal for Smash 4 hoping Simon would make it in so that the little Captain N squad would be back together. That being said, I've never seen so many "leaks" mention him as a shoo-in until now. Personally, I'd prefer Bomberman be playable, if there had to be a second Konami character, but that obviously isn't happening.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm not a big Simon fan...at all, but to play devil's advocate, I noticed quite a few people around the Internet after Mega Man's reveal for Smash 4 hoping Simon would make it in so that the little Captain N squad would be back together. That being said, I've never seen so many "leaks" mention him as a shoo-in until now. Personally, I'd prefer Bomberman be playable, if there had to be a second Konami character, but that obviously isn't happening.
I also would've preferred bomberman, don't know how he didn't make it in as playable, considering how much he was wanted. I also feel bad for those Waluigi fans who not only had to see him get deconfirmed, but also KO'd to show off a new feature.

StormC

Smash Hero
A company already having a character in the game means jack all.

:ultmegaman::ultryu:
:ultsonic::ultbayonetta:

There is some precedent - Sakurai has stated that Castlevania was influential on him - and the only other viable Konami character is an AT. If it wasn't for Vergeben's claim I probably wouldn't humor the idea, honestly, but it's not completely out there by any means.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I hope Simon Belmont isn't included over King K. Rool, who imo, is the only real shoo-in at this point.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I tend to not believe any leaks that don't mention a Rhythm Heaven character. Maybe I'm a little (a lot) bias because they're my most wanted newcomer, but since it was pretty much confirmed one was planned for Smash 4 and they're the next logical new Nintendo series to be repped, I consider them very likely. I really don't see a character from a dead series like golden sun to make it in over them.(although I want him too).

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Konami already has a smash rep with Snake, which significantly throws off [Simon's] chances.
I would argue that Snake's presence actually benefits Simon's odds. If Snake didn't come back (let's say "EVERYONE EXCEPT SNAKE IS HERE " happened), who would've thought that Konami would be willing to cooperate to get any of their characters in Smash?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I tend to not believe any leaks that don't mention a Rhythm Heaven character. Maybe I'm a little (a lot) bias because they're my most wanted newcomer, but since it was pretty much confirmed one was planned for Smash 4 and they're the next logical new Nintendo series to be repped, I consider them very likely. I really don't see a character from a dead series like golden sun to make it in over them.(although I want him too).
If anything, a rhythm heaven character should be higher priority(Considering one was planned for smash 4), than Simon Belmont.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I still don't see how inconsistent naming debunks the rumor. Not saying it's even close to real-- because it has no ground to stand on-- but still.

On a different topic, what can they even use as the WTF character? Hopefully, it's not Hanafuda cards like people suggest. I just can't connect with that; I need something that has a face and that I'm familiar with. If we get anyone, I hope it's someone that was realisable at one point but missed their chance, like Cooking Mama.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I still don't see how inconsistent naming debunks the rumor. Not saying it's even close to real-- because it has no ground to stand on-- but still.

On a different topic, what can they even use as the WTF character? Hopefully, it's not Hanafuda cards like people suggest. I just can't connect with that; I need something that has a face and that I'm familiar with. If we get anyone, I hope it's someone that was realisable at one point but missed their chance, like Cooking Mama.
Depends on what you mean by a WTF character. If it's a Nintendo History esque WTF character You've got Hanafuda cards... And that's all I can think of. If you're asking about a retro WTF character than I think Lip, Ayumi Tachibana, Excitebike or Mach Rider fit that rather well.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I think that people refers to Smash 4 files. After, the game is once more made with Bandai-Namco so it wouldn't be surprising to have similar folders for the game.
When modding, every character folder are in japanese. Koopa, Reflet, Murabito, Purin... This and also the fact that there is no "codename" either. Bayonetta and Pit's folders obvious don't have the same number of letters.

So going for the japanese name for Decidueye, yet keeping the english name of Isaac is fishy at least.

My WTF pick is still Excitebiker. Fighting on a bike would be weird, yet I find it not so hard to envision.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

I'd love Chibi-Robo. His series was still alive (it's probably dead now) during smash Ultimate's project plan as Zip Lash released in October 2015. He would fit the bill of "realizable at one point but missed their chance" as his best chance was probably brawl. He just looks like he has so much potential and personality.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
My WTF pick is still Excitebiker. Fighting on a bike would be weird, yet I find it not so hard to envision.
I'm on board with Excitebiker. It'd be hilarious to watch some dude on a dirt bike gracelessly zooming all over the place (not to mention with a playable Excitebiker would come a possible Excite Truck/bots stage, which might have the Tasmania theme from Excitebots as a song?! Sign me up!)

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Y'know, for an Ashley support thread, we're covering a wide range of characters here.

Howdy to you too, Zabadoo! Thanks for replying to my question.

Wario sadly doesn't do a good job of representing either of his series; though it is nice to see his shoulder barge back. As for Ashley and how to implement WarioWare features, I believe a good basis for her spells and such could be from her various cutscenes across the series. As for any mechanic, I'm sure that a quick-timed mechanic could be implemented to a special/specials (I've seen quite a few people mention a move involving a cauldron), with the WarioWare bomb timer involved in it.

It's been a long time since I last sat down to think of move-sets for my most wanted characters, and I no longer have access to the many posts on Miiverse concerning such stuff. Maybe if I find some spare time (unlikely) I'll do a little bit of research, compile an Ashley move-set with as much fitting WarioWare inspiration as possible, but one that could work in a cohesive manner.

Agreed, though frankly, I'd rather no 3rd party characters at all. Still, I do see another 3rd party addition as quite likely, even with a limited amount of newcomers. I'm unsure if Yuri Kozukata (Project Zero) counts as she co-owned by Nintendo, but if I had to pick a pure 3rd party character, I'd have gone with Bomberman... whose an Assist Trophy... so then I guess it'd now be Rayman if I had to choose one. Again, would prefer not.

I'd pool K. Rool, Bandanna Dee and Ashley amongst some of the most likely series represented newcomers to be added, alongside Dixie Kong and Isabelle. That doesn't mean I believe all will get in, I am only expecting around 7-9 newcomers (including Inkling and Ridley) max after-all, but I believe at least one or two will get in.

My personal pick for a WTF character would be Vince from Art Academy; he's your artist instructor in the series. Style Savvy is also a series that deserves some form of representation in SSB, but I'm unaware if there is any character who could serve as a face or base model for a playable role; could probably have a decent stage though.

I see some suggest Excitebiker, but I don't see him as that weird of a choice. I would be quite happy with an Excitebiker character, though there are many more retro inclined characters I'd prefer (Lip is my number one after all), and it'd be really cool if they could reference each of the Excite entries in his move-set such as Excite Trucks.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Y'know, for an Ashley support thread, we're covering a wide range of characters here.

Howdy to you too, Zabadoo! Thanks for replying to my question.

Wario sadly doesn't do a good job of representing either of his series; though it is nice to see his shoulder barge back. As for Ashley and how to implement WarioWare features, I believe a good basis for her spells and such could be from her various cutscenes across the series. As for any mechanic, I'm sure that a quick-timed mechanic could be implemented to a special/specials (I've seen quite a few people mention a move involving a cauldron), with the WarioWare bomb timer involved in it.

It's been a long time since I last sat down to think of move-sets for my most wanted characters, and I no longer have access to the many posts on Miiverse concerning such stuff. Maybe if I find some spare time (unlikely) I'll do a little bit of research, compile an Ashley move-set with as much fitting WarioWare inspiration as possible, but one that could work in a cohesive manner.

Agreed, though frankly, I'd rather no 3rd party characters at all. Still, I do see another 3rd party addition as quite likely, even with a limited amount of newcomers. I'm unsure if Yuri Kozukata (Project Zero) counts as she co-owned by Nintendo, but if I had to pick a pure 3rd party character, I'd have gone with Bomberman... whose an Assist Trophy... so then I guess it'd now be Rayman if I had to choose one. Again, would prefer not.

I'd pool K. Rool, Bandanna Dee and Ashley amongst some of the most likely series represented newcomers to be added, alongside Dixie Kong and Isabelle. That doesn't mean I believe all will get in, I am only expecting around 7-9 newcomers (including Inkling and Ridley) max after-all, but I believe at least one or two will get in.

My personal pick for a WTF character would be Vince from Art Academy; he's your artist instructor in the series. Style Savvy is also a series that deserves some form of representation in SSB, but I'm unaware if there is any character who could serve as a face or base model for a playable role; could probably have a decent stage though.

I see some suggest Excitebiker, but I don't see him as that weird of a choice. I would be quite happy with an Excitebiker character, though there are many more retro inclined characters I'd prefer (Lip is my number one after all), and it'd be really cool if they could reference each of the Excite entries in his move-set such as Excite Trucks.
Ikr
And since we're covering other characters ,who's the most likely third-party characters you think will get in?
My Top 3:
Rayman
Geno
Zero

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm on board with Excitebiker. It'd be hilarious to watch some dude on a dirt bike gracelessly zooming all over the place (not to mention with a playable Excitebiker would come a possible Excite Truck/bots stage, which might have the Tasmania theme from Excitebots as a song?! Sign me up!)
Just imagine the Aerials being all some dirtbike tricks! And a potential overheating mechanic too, boosting power but with some risk.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
My pick for a WTF character has always been Nikki from Swapnote/Swapdoodle. Another Badge Arcade star and just the right mix of well known and obscure.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Ikr
And since we're covering other characters ,who's the most likely third-party characters you think will get in?
My Top 3:
Rayman
Geno
Zero
I think the most likely is Geno because this seems to be a fan servicy game and square already let cloud in. He's also a Mario character. I'm not sure if that helps him though. After that I'd go with Simon because of all the Konami representation in this game (bomberman assist) and the "leak" (I'm still not entirely convinced). Then I'd go with Rayman just becuase Ubisoft is on good terms with Nintendo and the trophies in SSB4 exist.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Ikr
My Top 3:
Rayman
Geno
Zero
If I had to choose three third-party characters, I'd go with:
- Geno
- Bomberman
- Banjo-Kazooie

That isn't my top 3 list, by the way. Those are just the only three third-parties I can think of that I wouldn't loathe in Smash (well, them and maybe Rayman).

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace

Oh, so we giving out thanks? In that case, I've wrote before that the WarioWare characters could have an archetypal ability that allows them to move and attack faster the more they hit their opponent. The amount of hits they can take before losing their speed boost is above their damage display like a lot of other similar passive in Ultimate. This is supposed to reflect the "Speed Up" mechanic in WarioWare.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind if they reference other WarioWare things in her moveset, so long as it's interesting and fits as an ability a witch could have. One I've heard of is summoning. Someone on a 4chan thread suggested that since it's unlikely other Ware characters will be playable, Ashley could be able to summon them with her down special. (Conspiracy Mode) Maybe that's why we haven't seen Kat & Ana?

Last edited:
Top Bottom