• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just letting you guys know that this is a major chain convenience store in Asia, what other Nintendo characters do you know that promote stores. Seriously though if that isn’t notable I dunno what is.
Yeah, I don't know how big was the promotion in the Lawson stores (mostly featured on Eshop cards AFAIK), but it's still big nonetheless for such a character. Like Animal Crossing and the 7-Eleven items.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I like to think Sakurai was shopping at Lawson in 2015, saw the Ashley promotion and realized just how popular she was.

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Heya guys could I join the supporters list? Ashley is in my top 3 most wanted characters so of course, I need to support our Little Witch.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, I don't know how big was the promotion in the Lawson stores (mostly featured on Eshop cards AFAIK), but it's still big nonetheless for such a character. Like Animal Crossing and the 7-Eleven items.
Yeah no for a character like this it’s a huge thing, I really see how she appeals to Japanese audiences, she’s just so cute and seems like just the type of character they’d like.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I believe they're referring to the WarioWare Gold advertising in Japan, there are little cardboard stands of the characters that get placed around a 3DS sign.
I believe what was being referenced is the Lawson's Ashley Badge. It was used as promotion at Lawson's (A japanese convenience store) and a Badge in the badge arcade

I've seen some people say they'd be upset if Ashley made it in over Waluigi, which I don't understand. They have absolutely no relation to eachother. Waluigi isn't a Wario character either. That's something I see a lot of. I know Wario and Waluigi are pairs in Mario spin offs, but Smash Wario represents WarioWare. So that point is null.
It's funny how smash fans consider character competition. I doubt Sakurai has any real competing slots outside of something like "Gen X Pokemon". One thing I detest seeing is "Since Bomberman is an assist trophy how can X 3rd Party character be playable?" As if there's some sort of hierarchy of 3rd party characters to be considered. I'd imagine the amount of competition between characters is fairly limited

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah no for a character like this it’s a huge thing, I really see how she appeals to Japanese audiences, she’s just so cute and seems like just the type of character they’d like.
Yep, she fits just right among their cute, chibi and sometimes quirky mascots.

Look at those mascots in front of the Super Potato store in Akihabara for example.
superpotato.png

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Shame. I was thinking a call-back to the Super Metroid box-art with Giga Bowser standing in for Kraid and some extra fighters supporting Samus would be nice.

If Ashley is going to make a cameo in a Mario game, it's probably going to Luigi's Mansion. I have a hard time seeing Ashley compete in the kind of sports that are Mario Tennis or Kart, as much as that would be cool left-field picks. She's not interested in fame and these events do nothing to help her magic studies. The only possible reason for her to attend would be to try and make new friends, but I think she'd rather do so on her own terms.
I love that I'm super behind just from the time since my break at work. We're coming for, you King K.

But anyway, Ashley is the type of person to get out of her comfort zone for the sake of putting her name out there. It's why she dressed up in a bunch of outfits in the Badge Arcade, according to the Arcade Bunny.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Super Potato Girl is now added to my list of things I must protect.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Today is the 8th of July in the year 2018.
No recent developments has been discovered besides some drivel from the Anonymous Leaker Known as 4Chan.
While everyone else had dreams about Smashley I ended up having a nightmare where my house was blown up by the government because I rode my bike too fast.
Today has been ok.

Make sure to ride slow next time. Along with that save 15% or more on car insurance.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I love that I'm super behind just from the time since my break at work. We're coming for, you King K.

But anyway, Ashley is the type of person to get out of her comfort zone for the sake of putting her name out there. It's why she dressed up in a bunch of outfits in the Badge Arcade, according to the Arcade Bunny.
Confirmation that he heard this from Ashley herself, or is this just speculation on his part?

She does seem to be naturally curious, what with constantly attempting new spells, potions and whatnot. But I still find it difficult to believe she's doing all that for the sake of recognition, given her displayed attitude. If she wanted to meet new people, I'd imagine she'd want to do so in a controlled fashion, rather than risk getting too much attention at once and ruining her privacy.

That being said, it would make for an interesting meta-plot, where Ashley's now-massive fandom manifests in-universe, perhaps as a result of another misfired spell or ''accidental'' good deed and she has to flee from raving masses.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Confirmation that he heard this from Ashley herself, or is this just speculation on his part?
The story of Ashley in the badge arcade is that, essentially, the bunny came to her in a dream and convinced her to wear a costume (for halloween) and she did so. He went to her the next night in a dream and showed her the world of crossovers that would essentially spawn her in dressing up as various Nintendo characters and select 3rd parties like Monster Hunter. She was convinced because the Bunny used it to say she could get herself out there and make friends. (Cute tidbit is that Ashley and Nikki are friends) Even later, he tried to convince her to wear a swimsuit. This angered Ashley as she realized that the bunny was a demon (or devil) and she cast a spell on him. In the aftermath, Ashley comes to a realization that crossovers aren't bad and "awakens" (The words of the Arcade Bunny) to that side of her. After which, he states to look forward to the future of this new awakened Ashley.

Last edited:

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
The story of Ashley in the badge arcade is that, essentially, the bunny came to her in a dream and convinced her to wear a costume (for halloween) and she did so. He went to her the next night in a dream and showed her the world of crossovers that would essentially spawn her in dressing up as various Nintendo characters and select 3rd parties like Monster Hunter. She was convinced because the Bunny used it to say she could get herself out there and make friends. (Cute tidbit is that Ashley and Nikki are friends) Even later, he tried to convince her to wear a swimsuit. This angered Ashley as she realized that the bunny was a demon (or devil) and she cast a spell on him. In the aftermath, Ashley comes to a realization that crossovers aren't bad and "awakens" (The words of the Arcade Bunny) to that side of her. After which, he states to look forward to the future of this new awakened Ashley.
Wait so Ashley and the bunny exist in the same universe? I thought Ashley was considered a fictional character to the bunny's world.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think a great moveset for Ashley would be involving summons of Wario Ware microgames in the form of objects and characters like Duck Hunt and Pac Man for her special attacks, and her normal attacks would be her usual witchy stuff like magic an spells, and of course Red could lend a bit of help on the fight too.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I like the idea of Ashely being a "debuffer" not unlike how her assist worked. When Inkling covers people in ink, they take more damage, and when Inkling rolls over the stage, the ink makes enemies slow down, these are just side effects to the Inkling's moves. If Ashely's entire moveset revolved around lowing the opponent's stats, be it damage, knock back or speed, I think she would be one of the most unique newcomers to come to Smash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I swear those people who say that they’re gonna get mad if Ashley get in before Waluigi literally have no idea what they’re talking about. They have literally nothing to do with each other other than being associated with Wario, and even then Ashley’s mostly a stand-alone character.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Wait so Ashley and the bunny exist in the same universe? I thought Ashley was considered a fictional character to the bunny's world.
Prolly not. It's just a cute story from a gacha game. Not to mention it all takes place in a dream. Though, a bit of trivia, the team that worked on the Badge Arcade worked on Warioware.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If the WarioWare team worked on badge arcade, and the badge arcade Bunny said to forward to Ashley's future...
Do they know something? They'd have to know about their own character's future right? It's probably just a cute sentiment.

OR IS IT? (Sakurai PLEASE)

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I mean if anyone knows anything it's probably Takeuchi, who also worked on the Badge Arcade. It's an odd tease for Ashley's future, but they could have just been talking about the new WarioWare.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean if anyone knows anything it's probably Takeuchi, who also worked on the Badge Arcade. It's an odd tease for Ashley's future, but they could have just been talking about the new WarioWare.
Yeah, It's a statement that can mean pretty much anything. The only thing I'd take away from it at this moment is that Nintendo does have plans for Ashley in the future.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I swear those people who say that they’re gonna get mad if Ashley get in before Waluigi literally have no idea what they’re talking about. They have literally nothing to do with each other other than being associated with Wario, and even then Ashley’s mostly a stand-alone character.
Those people are natural enemies and don't get along with many other fanbases

like Daisy fans and Waluigi fans
or Captain Toad fans and Waluigi fans
or Ashley fans and Waluigi fans
or Waluigi fans and other Waluigi fans

DAMN WALUIGI FANS! THEY RUINED THE WALUIGI FANBASE!

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Those people are natural enemies and don't get along with many other fanbases

like Daisy fans and Waluigi fans
or Captain Toad fans and Waluigi fans
or Ashley fans and Waluigi fans
or Waluigi fans and other Waluigi fans

DAMN WALUIGI FANS! THEY RUINED THE WALUIGI FANBASE!

You Waluigi fans sure are a contentious bunch.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know, I really thought Daisy fans were the worst Smash fandom, but now that they got what they wanted they’ve chilled down a bit.

Waluigi on the other hand somehow went in reverse.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know, I really thought Daisy fans were the worst Smash fandom, but now that they got what they wanted they’ve chilled down a bit.

Waluigi on the other hand somehow went in reverse.
I don't think Daisy fans were ever that bad... It was just memoryman. That dude single handedly made Daisy fans public enemy #1

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think Daisy fans were ever that bad... It was just memoryman. That dude single handedly made Daisy fans public enemy #1
True, tho it was mostly done for attention. Ironically Daisy got in for the exact reasons I wrote her off, which came as a huge shock when she was first revealed. I’ve adapted since.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Thought so, i saw your face on the same page. Now this may seem petty, but i've bookmarked that page, and if Ashley get revealed, i'm gonna reply to that post on that day. Is this taking it too far? is this being childish? maybe, but the amount of self satisfaction i would get from that would be godlike.
It depends, if one is just doing speculation then its whatever. If the person is being a jerk about it and attacking those who want her in then you're damn right I'm gonna send a smug af message if she gets revealed.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
It depends, if one is just doing speculation then its whatever. If the person is being a jerk about it and attacking those who want her in then you're damn right I'm gonna send a smug af message if she gets revealed.
I can't wait to see all the scoffers who make amends on the Ashley "I Was Wrong" thread!

Hehehe!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Honestly, I'd rather just have Ashley playable than get caught up in the more petty side of things. No offense to anyone that (rightfully) feels attacked by the detractors.

Let them spew their ignorance. A lot of them already took a massive blow with Ridley's reveal. My guess is at least one more newcomer is going to smack them again. =P

Edit: Honestly, we're in the zone now where more "out there" character choices aren't out of the question anymore. Practically all the all-stars are already in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom