• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
View attachment 152079

There were two other said leaks before this that said Ashley would be DLC as well. Diddy Kong, Birdo and Paratroopa were recently confirmed to be unlocked during the tournament. So this list seems to have correctly gotten every character before they were confirmed.

The only argument to this is the rest of the DLC characters, they seem pretty silly but Mario spin-offs aren't exactly known for having too many great characters.
Where's the squid? They showed him off at E3.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I totally forgot about that. Black Mage in that Mario Basketball game, right?
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS and Mario Sports Mix on the Wii had Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, Moogle & Cactuar as unlockables. Hoops also had a stage with Malboro hazards, and Mix had a freakin' Behemoth (King) as a final boss, plus the Chocobo's theme as part of a mini-game.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Geno being in both Smash and Tennis Aces are open to the realm of possibilities, so if this is true than Ashley being in Tennis is just the start. Soon enough she'll be in Smash, Mario Kart and other spin-off titles.

She's already popular enough to advertise other games like Monster Hunter, Tank Troopers, and an actual real-life store! I don't even need to mention everything else, as I'm pretty sure all of you know already, but for you lurkers out there

in order!

-Club Nintendo reward.
- Keyphone chain
- Mario Maker
- Badge Arcade 2015 - 2017 [bascially took it over as Mascot, hell, they even ended it off with her]
-Three 3ds themes dedicated to Ashley [Wario or the other characters never even got one]
- Single most best treated WarioWare character in smash [Two songs, one new song, Assist, Mii-outfit, Smash 3ds warioware stage included Ashley's song out of the rest.]
-Voted decently high for Smash Bros.

And that's just a quick reminder, there's still more of Ashley to share!

Hell, they already have the model for her, just clean it up a bit and you have your most requested Assist to playable character. Easy for them and better for us. (Perhaps aside from Waluigi, but that boat has sailed)

WarioWare is recently getting a game, and a lot of people are excited for Ashley! She is no doubt WarioWare's most beloved character, even Nintendo and creators of WarioWare admit that. "By far the most popular of her series." So there's no arguing anymore, it's no doubt Ashley. Say as you want, Mona, Jimmy and 9-volt ain't holding a candle to Ashley! Though, not to diss those characters, but saying these characters are way more popular is just bonkers!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mario Tennis Aces' characters were already datamined and that list is missing a few that we know are in.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
She's already popular enough to advertise other games like Monster Hunter, Tank Troopers, and an actual real-life store!
in order!
Cannot find any advertisements of Ashley in a real life store. Would you share your source on the matter?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Geno being in both Smash and Tennis Aces are open to the realm of possibilities, so if this is true than Ashley being in Tennis is just the start. Soon enough she'll be in Smash, Mario Kart and other spin-off titles.

She's already popular enough to advertise other games like Monster Hunter, Tank Troopers, and an actual real-life store! I don't even need to mention everything else, as I'm pretty sure all of you know already, but for you lurkers out there

in order!

-Club Nintendo reward.
- Keyphone chain
- Mario Maker
- Badge Arcade 2015 - 2017 [bascially took it over as Mascot, hell, they even ended it off with her]
-Three 3ds themes dedicated to Ashley [Wario or the other characters never even got one]
- Single most best treated WarioWare character in smash [Two songs, one new song, Assist, Mii-outfit, Smash 3ds warioware stage included Ashley's song out of the rest.]
-Voted decently high for Smash Bros.

And that's just a quick reminder, there's still more of Ashley to share!

Hell, they already have the model for her, just clean it up a bit and you have your most requested Assist to playable character. Easy for them and better for us. (Perhaps aside from Waluigi, but that boat has sailed)

WarioWare is recently getting a game, and a lot of people are excited for Ashley! She is no doubt WarioWare's most beloved character, even Nintendo and creators of WarioWare admit that. "By far the most popular of her series." So there's no arguing anymore, it's no doubt Ashley. Say as you want, Mona, Jimmy and 9-volt ain't holding a candle to Ashley! Though, not to diss those characters, but saying these characters are way more popular is just bonkers!
Say what? What did Ashley do regarding Monster Hunter? Was it something live in Japan?

Edit: Oh, I see. Was actually thinking along the lines of a Palico costume, could totally see that happening. Interesting choices of gear for her, though. I feel as though Bloodbath Diablos and Dreadqueen Rathian would be more fitting, but I guess Valstrax and Dreadking Rathalos are more recognizable, and the latter's colors are a fit.

I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say that I feel that Nintendo is reluctant to use Geno for anything, because if they do, they know Mario RPG fans are gonna leap out of the woodworks and start demanding either a sequel or remake of that game. And to be quite frank, I was thoroughly unimpressed by his character and game of origin. Nothing about him is memorable other than how out of place he is in the humourous world of a Mario RPG, and I just don't get his appeal except as a symbol of a game people played and remember fondly.

On the other hand, I think being out-of-place is just one part of Ashley's charm. Diamond City is full of weirdos who are almost all completely obssessed with their occupation of choice, when they aren't making games for a greedy jerk who pays them next to nothing. Ashley initially wasn't much different, but stood out with her darker brand of humour, threatening to curse people in song or boil them in potions in her story. As the games went by, she was one of the employees to ditch Wario in D.I.Y, and actually STAYED away from him since as shown in Gold. Being lonely and wanting friends became a part of her character, and when you see the candidates available in Diamond City for companionship, you actually start relating with her, because who would REALLY want to be friends with those guys?

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I wish that Mario Tennis Aces leak was true but the presence of K. Rool and Geno on there makes me raise my eyebrow far too high. K. Rool has only ever been in one Mario spin-off (Sluggers) and I personally remember when Mario Hoops 3-on-3 came out and they missed out on the opportunity to add Geno and Mallow (seriously, I felt hoodwinked). Ashley was put in Mario Maker but she still hasn't made her debut on a mainline Mario spin-off. To be honest, I'm 50-50 on whether or not I'd even want that too. Call me a dirty purist but I'd prefer for her association to remain with Wario, Mario would drain that away. =P

On the flip side, who knows how well these characters did on the ballot? And who knows, perhaps Sakurai returned that information to Nintendo and they want to take advantage of their popularity. I just wouldn't hold my breath is all.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Is there a repository of all the Ashley stuff in Badge Arcade? Full sized images?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I do have to say though, I never understood Nintendo's insistence on filling the Mario sports titles with generic enemies. They have such a huge cast of colorful, memorable characters with their own identities already and yet they always end up defaulting to... Blooper. =P

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Been lurking in this thread since the first couple of pages, decided to make an account to show support! Put me on the list if youre able.

For goodwill, here's a drawing of Ashley I did a week or so ago.

Not only that, but she was an item character in Smash Tour.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Don't know your Ashley stuff, do you?

This is official, created for The Badge Arcade, which was used to promote both parties. Badge Arcade and Lawson Stores. Also
/SPOILER]
I thought you meant somebody dressed up as Ashley in a Nintendo store. But this cool, thanks![/spoiler]

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Been lurking in this thread since the first couple of pages, decided to make an account to show support! Put me on the list if youre able.

Very nice job. Not many people's first posts are as good as this one.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Welcome to Smash Boards and the Ashley Support Thread. Enjoy your stay.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do have to say though, I never understood Nintendo's insistence on filling the Mario sports titles with generic enemies. They have such a huge cast of colorful, memorable characters with their own identities already and yet they always end up defaulting to... Blooper. =P
At least they eventually and essentially gave them their own series via the Inklings in Splatoon. I just wish they didn't cut out characters like Diddy Kong for no reason at all (I mean, MK8 had room for all those guest DLC characters, but not him?). I just don't understand.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
At least they eventually and essentially gave them their own series via the Inklings in Splatoon. I just wish they didn't cut out characters like Diddy Kong for no reason at all (I mean, MK8 had room for all those guest DLC characters, but not him?). I just don't understand.
?

Splatoon already existed before their appearance in MK8, I'm sure?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
?

Splatoon already existed before their appearance in MK8, I'm sure?
Actually, Splatoon came out a year after MK8. I'm referring to the common fan theory about the Inklings being evolved Bloopers.

Still though, I'm just saying that the odd roster choices for Mario spin-offs sometimes are done at the expense of series mainstays (remember when Toad was playable in Mario Party?).

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Actually, Splatoon came out a year after MK8. I'm referring to the common fan theory about the Inklings being evolved Bloopers.
Ah yes, I've heard the theory before. Although, I just looked at the wiki and it says that the Inklings didn't debut in MK8 until it was ported to the Switch. So they did show up in their own game prior to appearing in MK8. That's what I was getting at.

Roy (from Fire Emblem) debuted in Melee. I wanted to avoid the confusion of thinking that Inklings were advertised in a spin-off prior to appearing in their own game.

Still though, I'm just saying that the odd roster choices for Mario spin-offs sometimes are done at the expense of series mainstays (remember when Toad was playable in Mario Party?).
Yeah, I agree. The roster choices never seem to have any rhyme or reason to them. I honestly wouldn't doubt it if they were decided by an exec throwing darts at a board and calling it a day.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
We surpassed Isaac, we're now the second biggest support group on the entire site, only behind K. Rool! Things are looking good for our little witch aren't they?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 152079

There were two other said leaks before this that said Ashley would be DLC as well. Diddy Kong, Birdo and Paratroopa were recently confirmed to be unlocked during the tournament. So this list seems to have correctly gotten every character before they were confirmed.

The only argument to this is the rest of the DLC characters, they seem pretty silly but Mario spin-offs aren't exactly known for having too many great characters.
Just to add to the evidence of fake, Birdo, Diddy and Para Trooper were "leaked" back in April. So any leak that contains them after the fact is iffy.

Who are the 2 girls on the top right?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well there were those two Mario sports games in the Wii era that had a whole team of Final Fantasy characters plus a Dragon Quest Slime in the second...
Wasn't that because it was made by SquareEnix/one of their studios?
It is a bit of a different situation.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Wasn't that because it was made by SquareEnix/one of their studios?
It is a bit of a different situation.
Yeah, SE made both games. To me, that at the very least shows that SE has no intention of using Geno again. Which, IMO, is bad for his chances in Smash.

Katey and Michelle I think, my kana to english names is spotty
Huh... I have no idea who they are XD. Nothing comes up for their names in Monster hunter.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Why hasn't K.Rool appeared in any recent games, I don't remember mention of K.Rool anywhere, outside of Smash supporters is he relevant to anything? Even Geno hasn't been anywhere, the Mario and Luigi remake removed him.

outside of Smash Geno hasn't appeared either, though Ashley has! quite a bit too.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Did you guys know that the Arcade Bunny was also designed by Ko Takeuchi?

It’s hard to tell since it’s one of his few characters to be rendered in 3D but yeah that was his creation.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, that would mean this would be the third(?) character of his that was an assist?

if you count Kat/ana and Ashley, that is up to three total assists he's gotten into Smash. What if the Bunny replaced Ashley as Ko's assists and he'll finally have his Ashley playable!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think if Ashley is playable and Sakurai wanted to replace her, they'd pick Mona. Though what's good about the Arcade Bunny being an assist is it means Sakurai is absolutely aware of the Badge Arcade pushing Ashley.

I still hold my breath every day though for a Smash update with an assist trophy. Every time Ashley isn't there it's a sigh of relief.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Why hasn't K.Rool appeared in any recent games, I don't remember mention of K.Rool anywhere, outside of Smash supporters is he relevant to anything? Even Geno hasn't been anywhere, the Mario and Luigi remake removed him.

outside of Smash Geno hasn't appeared either, though Ashley has! quite a bit too.
Outside of Smash, I believe his last appearance was Mario Sluggers in 2008. K. Rool has a bit of an interesting history since he did appear in DK games outside of a couple spin-offs up until Returns. It's not that much of a stretch to assume that K. Rool wasn't used to have Retro do their own thing and not have to rely on past ideas to make a good game. Either way, He's still widely regarded as the DK nemesis. His only real competition is Dixie, IMO.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I will say, something that worries me is that Ashley's assist trophy in Smash 4 may have actually been a bane on her chances. People voting on the ballot may have avoided penning her in if they were already discouraged by her status as an assist. Her Mii outfit being released in the last batch of DLC could be a sign that she still did well in the ballot regardless of this fact but I feel like we could have missed out on showing overwhelming support as opposed to just noticeable support.

She especially needs her popularity to be transparent considering her status as a side character (albeit the most popular one) in a not so popular spin-off from a character that is, himself, a spin-off. =P

Hopefully this is a case of the stars aligning and Ashley just happens to have had perfect timing (considering all the promotion in 2015 around the time Ultimate's roster was finalized). I just can't help worrying a bit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Outside of Smash, I believe his last appearance was Mario Sluggers in 2008. K. Rool has a bit of an interesting history since he did appear in DK games outside of a couple spin-offs up until Returns. It's not that much of a stretch to assume that K. Rool wasn't used to have Retro do their own thing and not have to rely on past ideas to make a good game. Either way, He's still widely regarded as the DK nemesis. His only real competition is Dixie, IMO.
Honestly, I don't think DKC lends itself too well to villains-du-jour like Kirby does. The only ones that clicked with people were Lord Frederik and the Snowmads.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I will say, something that worries me is that Ashley's assist trophy in Smash 4 may have actually been a bane on her chances. People voting on the ballot may have avoided penning her in if they were already discouraged by her status as an assist. Her Mii outfit being released in the last batch of DLC could be a sign that she still did well in the ballot regardless of this fact but I feel like we could have missed out on showing overwhelming support as opposed to just noticeable support.

She especially needs her popularity to be transparent considering her status as a side character (albeit the most popular one) in a not so popular spin-off from a character that is, himself, a spin-off. =P

Hopefully this is a case of the stars aligning and Ashley just happens to have had perfect timing (considering all the promotion in 2015 around the time Ultimate's roster was finalized). I just can't help worrying a bit.
I think given her push and the backlash to her deconfrimation (I'm in that collage!) she seems very likely regardless, but I voted for her in the ballot anyway.

Honestly, I don't think DKC lends itself too well to villains-du-jour like Kirby does. The only ones that clicked with people were Lord Frederik and the Snowmads.
Man, not even the Snowmads are all that memorable either. They just had the fortune of being more creative than the tikis, which isn't that high a bar. Some of them straight up look like Ice Age characters.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Man, not even the Snowmads are all that memorable either. They just had the fortune of being more creative than the tikis, which isn't that high a bar. Some of them straight up look like Ice Age characters.
That is a good way of explaining the Snowmads design perfectly. Now that you mention it, the Tikis look like a part of a canceled Dreamwork special.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've seen some people say they'd be upset if Ashley made it in over Waluigi, which I don't understand. They have absolutely no relation to eachother. Waluigi isn't a Wario character either. That's something I see a lot of. I know Wario and Waluigi are pairs in Mario spin offs, but Smash Wario represents WarioWare. So that point is null.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Cannot find any advertisements of Ashley in a real life store. Would you share your source on the matter?
I believe they're referring to the WarioWare Gold advertising in Japan, there are little cardboard stands of the characters that get placed around a 3DS sign.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I believe they're referring to the WarioWare Gold advertising in Japan, there are little cardboard stands of the characters that get placed around a 3DS sign.
Understood. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I've seen some people say they'd be upset if Ashley made it in over Waluigi, which I don't understand. They have absolutely no relation to eachother. Waluigi isn't a Wario character either. That's something I see a lot of. I know Wario and Waluigi are pairs in Mario spin offs, but Smash Wario represents WarioWare. So that point is null.
Eh, those same people were already upset about Daisy making it in, and probably will again if Geno does, so it is a moot point.

Top Bottom