• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
oh and yes i remember that video! There's lots of cute Ashley MAD's and music videos on youtube I've seen; I'm sure I missed some tho
So do you prefer her Japanese voice over her English voice when it comes to the Smash version of her songs?
JP Version. English version doesn't sound quite like how I imagine Ashley sounding.

Oh Kyon is still pretty active on the Ashley discord. It's grown a lot since her deconfirmation surprisingly enough and I have to thank him for it. If it weren't for him, a lot of her major supporters would probably have gone their seperate ways from each other.
Hope you discord peeps can keep that train going.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm pretty sure it means nothing and some of the most diehard Ashley supporters I've seen have said about the same.

Speaking of which, I met that person who made that threat to Sakurai after Ashley was deconfirmed. Real nice person once you get to know them. Pretty young too which kinda gives less weight to their outburst.
I'm just glad that the full force of the Internet didn't come crashing down on them with the judgement hammer. Sure, threats aren't the most ... tasteful form of expression, but that's where you learn from your mistakes and do better next time, haha.

I've been summoned.

So, what's happening?
I'm not the one who summoned you, but waddup, haha.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm just glad that the full force of the Internet didn't come crashing down on them with the judgement hammer. Sure, threats aren't the most ... tasteful form of expression, but that's where you learn from your mistakes and do better next time, haha.

I'm not the one who summoned you, but waddup, haha.
Nothing much.

I've pretty much gotten over the events of 8.8, but sometimes I still think about it and get kinda salty :laugh:.
at least I still got my Squids :ultinkling:.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Oh Kyon is still pretty active on the Ashley discord. It's grown a lot since her deconfirmation surprisingly enough and I have to thank him for it. If it weren't for him, a lot of her major supporters would probably have gone their seperate ways from each other.
Ah I see. I will have to get back to that discord thing then. Honestly when I very 1st made my discord profile, it was a day before the August direct. I haven't been back since the bad news :/
glad it's not dead then :)
JP Version. English version doesn't sound quite like how I imagine Ashley sounding.
Yeah her English voice in the Smash version of the song is a little to "Broadway" if you ask me; I think the original from Touched is fine though. The cleaned up version in WW gold sounds sped up though, it's strange. But I do like her new WW gold voice, it reminds me of Mandy from the Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy~
I've been summoned.

So, what's happening?
Oh I was just saying how we missed you here. You were always funny to me! XD
Like, in a good way I mean. I liked your sense of humour ;o

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Nothing much.

I've pretty much gotten over the events of 8.8, but sometimes I still think about it and get kinda salty :laugh:.
at least I still got my Squids :ultinkling:.
Haha, I completely understand. As someone who voted for K. Rool during the Ballot, I can't say that 8.8 was the worst day of my life. But every once in a while, someone in a YouTube video or something will mention Ashley's fate, and I can't say it makes me happy.

That being said, I'm still clinging to the possibility of DLC. Stranger things have happened, haha.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
So what do you guys do now?
Like, what do you talk about now?
Same old ashley speculation just in the context of her getting in as DLC. I usually talk about what others characters getting in would mean for Ashley. Like if Isaac, Geno, and Skull Kid, that would be good for us because we don't have to compete with them for DLC, but it could cut her support because her niche as a magic fighter is more saturated and therefore in less demand.

Then discussion like those have us talking about the other character's chances. We had a pretty long one about a new pokemon rep and Shantae a while back.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I don't even understand the Skullkid hype. Vaati, Hilda, or even Lana would make way better choices. But I suppose those would be just another magical character for Ashley to have to 'compete' with.
You can't forget Midna either; her fans are in the same bucket as us :/

Not like MM wasn't great tho. I just feel like the mask is what makes him, rather than Skullkid himself. I still wouldn't complain if he was added tho; we need more Zelda characters outside the Triforce Trio.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I don't even understand the Skullkid hype. Vaati, Hilda, or even Lana would make way better choices. But I suppose those would be just another magical character for Ashley to have to 'compete' with.
You can't forget Midna either; her fans are in the same bucket as us :/

Not like MM wasn't great tho. I just feel like the mask is what makes him, rather than Skullkid himself. I still wouldn't complain if he was added tho; we need more Zelda characters outside the Triforce Trio.
I think it's due to him being the only popular Zelda character that's not an assist trophy. Vaati seems to have been retried, Hilda would just be a Zelda echo and Lana is a Zelda spinoff character that might not even be owned by Nintendo.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Fingers crossed for an AT specific Ballot with multiple winners.
And why does it have to be a ballot specific to ATs? If anything, a regular ballot being showered with Ashley votes will demonstrate that people won't care about her status as AT and want her playable still.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Any Assist Trophy poll would need two promotion for Ashley to be a "winner". Waluigi is 100% winning that battle. Even then, some of the 3rd party characters, like Alucard and Bomberman give her a run for her money. However, I think 3rd party assists have a very low likelihood of promotion regardless. That would outright require a new contract for character licensing which seems like a waste of time.

Regardless, Waluigi and Ashley are the only assists that I honestly think barely missed the mark to be playable.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Any Assist Trophy poll would need two promotion for Ashley to be a "winner". Waluigi is 100% winning that battle. Even then, some of the 3rd party characters, like Alucard and Bomberman give her a run for her money. However, I think 3rd party assists have a very low likelihood of promotion regardless. That would outright require a new contract for character licensing which seems like a waste of time.

Regardless, Waluigi and Ashley are the only assists that I honestly think barely missed the mark to be playable.
I actually think her only direct competition comes from characters like Knuckles or Krystal. Waluigi will never be playable in smash, as for him to get in, he would need to be K. Rool levels above every other dlc option, which will never happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except Waluigi is also that immensely popular too. He's one of the most popular characters in the Mario franchise. Krystal is nowhere near on that level, due to having a hatebase too. She's more like Tingle, a lot of pointless hate, but a large fanbase as well. Waluigi only has some haters, but it isn't to the same degree. Knuckles is probably closer to Waluigi's level, but is also drowned out by Shadow's popularity(who is the most popular character after Sonic himself anyway). Right now the only character who has more popularity is Toad among the Super Mario crew of the non-playables at best, and that's due to him being a Nintendo All-Star as well. Ashley has a bit of competition right now, though I would hesitate to say Krystal is nearly that high as is.

They all have detractors too, for various reasons.

Waluigi is easily at the top of the charts. Bomberman is definitely up there too. Knuckles is... somewhere up there, but his popularity is a bit overstated. Krystal has too much of a hatebase to really be that high up. Alucard is harder to say, but he's one of the most popular Castlevania characters, so fairly high at least.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Except Waluigi is also that immensely popular too. He's one of the most popular characters in the Mario franchise. Krystal is nowhere near on that level, due to having a hatebase too. She's more like Tingle, a lot of pointless hate, but a large fanbase as well. Waluigi only has some haters, but it isn't to the same degree. Knuckles is probably closer to Waluigi's level, but is also drowned out by Shadow's popularity(who is the most popular character after Sonic himself anyway). Right now the only character who has more popularity is Toad among the Super Mario crew of the non-playables at best, and that's due to him being a Nintendo All-Star as well. Ashley has a bit of competition right now, though I would hesitate to say Krystal is nearly that high as is.

They all have detractors too, for various reasons.

Waluigi is easily at the top of the charts. Bomberman is definitely up there too. Knuckles is... somewhere up there, but his popularity is a bit overstated. Krystal has too much of a hatebase to really be that high up. Alucard is harder to say, but he's one of the most popular Castlevania characters, so fairly high at least.
But does having a hatebase really detract from one's fanbase? Especially online where a vocal minority can seem much larger than it is in reality. Minecraft, Call of Duty, and the Star Wars sequels have ridiculously massive hatebases on the internet but they still make a ton of money and are popular with the general audience. I don't think one's popularity can be determined so easily as "Fans - Haters = Overall popularity."

I do agree with you though that Krystal is not nearly as high as any of the others on the list (and I'm saying this as someone that likes Krystal and wants both her and Fay and Miyu in a future Star Fox game together) simply because Nintendo themselves are obsessed with rebooting the franchise and taking it back to the same timeline over and over again, leaving Krystal in the dust for the time being.

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
While I agree (and like to think) that Ashley was nearly considered to be playable and lost out by a small margin, I think Sakurai was truly and completely blindsided by Waluigi. Like, he didn't expect people to want him at all. Sakurai probably thought that Waluigi was a joke not worth thinking about much. What he missed was that Waluigi while Waluigi might be a joke, it's a joke that people like.

Nintendo themselves are obsessed with rebooting the franchise and taking it back to the same timeline over and over again, leaving Krystal in the dust for the time being.
Nintendo has only rebooted Star Fox once since Krystal joined, hasn't it?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I agree (and like to think) that Ashley was nearly considered to be playable and lost out by a small margin, I think Sakurai was truly and completely blindsided by Waluigi. Like, he didn't expect people to want him at all. Sakurai probably thought that Waluigi was a joke not worth thinking about much. What he missed was that Waluigi while Waluigi might be a joke, it's a joke that people like.

Basically, yes. This mindset only came about because Star Fox 64 got ported to the 3DS, then got followed by Zero, the actual reboot. We have no idea what Nintendo is planning to do post-Starlink, aside from the racing rumor (perfect opportunity to get Krystal and the SF2 girls in something).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hope both Krystal and Ashley get promoted to playable in the dlc phase. There's no precedent for it, but things are pretty new and there's lots going on, so it could always still happen.

:O

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Since Kyrstal joined yes. My issue comes less from the fact that there's been three reboots and more from Nintendo's unwillingness to leave the very specific time frame of the first Star Fox game. First they killed Star Fox 2 and repeated Star Fox 1's plot in 64. Then the franchise meandered along with no direction before finding a viable path in Assault, then immediately ditched that for the horrific mess of bad fanfic-tier writing in Command, and realizing that they wrote themselves into a corner with that game their solution...was to repeat Star Fox 1's story again and without adding anything new to the table.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But does having a hatebase really detract from one's fanbase? Especially online where a vocal minority can seem much larger than it is in reality. Minecraft, Call of Duty, and the Star Wars sequels have ridiculously massive hatebases on the internet but they still make a ton of money and are popular with the general audience. I don't think one's popularity can be determined so easily as "Fans - Haters = Overall popularity."

I do agree with you though that Krystal is not nearly as high as any of the others on the list (and I'm saying this as someone that likes Krystal and wants both her and Fay and Miyu in a future Star Fox game together) simply because Nintendo themselves are obsessed with rebooting the franchise and taking it back to the same timeline over and over again, leaving Krystal in the dust for the time being.
Yes, I'm saying that the overall votes would be influenced by the fact that they have hatebases too. This basically means the total votes would be lesser than those without. Albeit, it's just a guesstimate.

Waluigi doesn't have an extreme hatebase at all, so he's easily up there on the popularity list. That was the main point. But yeah, having a hatebase might not mean anything at all, because even if you take into account the fanbase minus hatebase count, it only depends upon the total number of votes. Ratios don't apply for voting. They either have a ton of votes or they don't.

That said, I think I lost the overall point somewhere, but I think Waluigi is definitely one of the higher voted characters. This may be part of why he was always an AT since the beginning, because he's just that popular. Krystal getting the AT treatment may simply due to the fanbase. Ashley got AT'd after she became far more promoted and popular, so that makes sense. A good way to look at AT's is many of them are characters who are popular but couldn't make the cut as playable.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Looks like one of the polls from earlier published results and I think Ashley did pretty good

https://smashboards.com/threads/kmdps-character-poll-the-results.457989/

at 916 responses, it's not a huge sample, but it is something to say the least
It seems like a generous amount of people are still sore over Ashley's disconfirmation, even a month later. That, or they simply sympathize because they've already gotten what they want, and a significant fandom wasn't granted the same pleasantry.

Speaking of which, I don't know the sample size, but there's a poll on this site regarding which Assist Trophies you hated seeing disconfirmed the most, or which one you'd want to see playable the most, something like that. Last I checked, Ashley and Waluigi were neck-and-neck, with Bomberman closely behind.

(If DLC began with those three characters as playable, I would be the happiest man alive.)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Looks like one of the polls from earlier published results and I think Ashley did pretty good

The sample size actually isn't bad, you usually don't need more than 1000 people for your sample to be representative. Of course that's with a random sample. I don't know if that changes with convenient sampling.

This honestly gives me some hope for Ashley's future on this site atleast. She beat out the meme man himself Waluigi and Shovel Knight, and she was super close to number 1. She might just be second in line for that DLC promotion behind Waluigi if her online western popularity is getting to these heights.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

I don't think Waluigi was ever planned to be playable this time. If this was a normal 10 plus newcomer game I feel like Ashley would have made the jump.

I feel like the all of the western fan support for Ashley might have also blindsided him due to her being pushed more in Japan.
I hope both Krystal and Ashley get promoted to playable in the dlc phase. There's no precedent for it, but things are pretty new and there's lots going on, so it could always still happen.

:O
I say promote Waluigi, Ashley, Krystal, Bomberman and Shovel Knight if DLC is going to last a few years this time.

Nice to see Ashely take spot number 2 on assist trophies people wanted playable and number 6 on the most wanted character poll that included everyone. I guess Waluigi and Skull Kid are less popular on Smashboards.

It seems like a generous amount of people are still sore over Ashley's disconfirmation, even a month later. That, or they simply sympathize because they've already gotten what they want, and a significant fandom wasn't granted the same pleasantry.

Speaking of which, I don't know the sample size, but there's a poll on this site regarding which Assist Trophies you hated seeing disconfirmed the most, or which one you'd want to see playable the most, something like that. Last I checked, Ashley and Waluigi were neck-and-neck, with Bomberman closely behind.

(If DLC began with those three characters as playable, I would be the happiest man alive.)
I feel like DLC will start off with Rex or Spring Man. This time I can see them doing it by seasons and doing something like unique newcomer, one promoted assist trophy, one 3rd party newcomer and one new echo fighter.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I feel like DLC will start off with Rex or Spring Man. This time I can see them doing it by seasons and doing something like unique newcomer, one promoted assist trophy, one 3rd party newcomer and one new echo fighter.
I'm going to reserve my thoughts on how DLC will go until we actually have it confirmed, haha. My knee-jerk reaction is to assume that DLC will primarily focus on relevant/newer Nintendo characters, but last time DLC happened in Smash, my expectations were not met, to say the least.

That being said, I agree with you about Rex. Xenoblade 2 sold pretty well, being the first XC game to surpass a million copies sold. No matter what direction Sakurai takes for DLC, I'll be pretty surprised if Rex isn't in there somewhere.

As far as Spring Man goes, I'm slightly less optimistic. Sure, he'd be cool, and the possibility is there, but Arms is still a series in a state of infancy. Nintendo hasn't even had a chance to create a sequel and prove whether or not the franchise has staying power.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I don't think Waluigi was ever planned to be playable this time. If this was a normal 10 plus newcomer game I feel like Ashley would have made the jump.

I feel like the all of the western fan support for Ashley might have also blindsided him due to her being pushed more in Japan.

I say promote Waluigi, Ashley, Krystal, Bomberman and Shovel Knight if DLC is going to last a few years this time.

Nice to see Ashely take spot number 2 on assist trophies people wanted playable and number 6 on the most wanted character poll that included everyone. I guess Waluigi and Skull Kid are less popular on Smashboards.

An idea someone on the discord gave was to have a doppleganger assist who would change into assists that have been promoted. They gave Doopliss as an example. I don't see it happening but it would be a pretty slick idea.

Btw, the direct is tomorrow and I'm just gonna guess that Bandana Dee will be the next one revealed.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So, any chance that Ashley gets announced as DLC for Mario Kart or Mario Tennis tomorrow?

Would obviously be a massive boon to her viability as a character in Smash DLC or future iterations. And would continue her breakout trend in fantastic fashion.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it but it would be a massively pleasant surprise.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
So, any chance that Ashley gets announced as DLC for Mario Kart or Mario Tennis tomorrow?

Would obviously be a massive boon to her viability as a character in Smash DLC or future iterations. And would continue her breakout trend in fantastic fashion.

I honestly could see them announcing more content for MK8D in this direct. With paid online coming out, they need to give people a reason to jump back in if they've only been playing casually up until now. I'm not sure on Ashley's chances but if she were added in, I think no one would be able to sleep on her after that.

Euler23

Smash Cadet

Maybe someday, but I think Super Smash Bros. will be the first Mario spinoff Ashley is ever going to appear in. They’re usually quite stingy about non-Mario characters appearing in the likes of Kart and Tennis (though they’ll bloat the roster with pointless filler characters like Baby Pink Gold Daisy). I know we got Link, ROB, Isabelle, etc. But even Diddy Kong doesn’t get to be in every Mario Kart game. IMO the next non-Mario characters should be Captain Falcon in Kart (the poor guy is never getting his own game, so the least they could do is include him in another racing game especially since he already has his own track) as well as Link and Ganondorf in Tennis.

In other news the fact that they have 3DS titles to announce means there’s a chance the Virtual Boy Wario Land remake is real. Also, Wario Ware Gold is still doing rather well on the Japanese charts.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I'm not expecting any Ashley news tomorrow, but I would love it oh so much. There's a very small part of me still hoping for a bamboozle as well (Not gonna lie, I've been waiting for a leak to have the balls and say Ashley's gonna be playable. No luck on that front far as I can tell), but I'm trying my best to ignore it and focus on DLC support. I would start playing Mario Kart again if she were announced for that.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
An idea someone on the discord gave was to have a doppleganger assist who would change into assists that have been promoted. They gave Doopliss as an example. I don't see it happening but it would be a pretty slick idea.

Btw, the direct is tomorrow and I'm just gonna guess that Bandana Dee will be the next one revealed.
I'm thinking it will be Incineroar to get a breather for the big fan favorite characters.
We’ll just have to wait and see. Personally, I think we’re gonna be seeing shadow and/or Isabelle echoes.
I think there saving the final echoes for the next Smash Direct.

Maybe for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. They still need to release Birdo, Paratroopa, the other story mode enemies and the other characters they added to the data before they start working on new characters.
Maybe someday, but I think Super Smash Bros. will be the first Mario spinoff Ashley is ever going to appear in. They’re usually quite stingy about non-Mario characters appearing in the likes of Kart and Tennis (though they’ll bloat the roster with pointless filler characters like Baby Pink Gold Daisy). I know we got Link, ROB, Isabelle, etc. But even Diddy Kong doesn’t get to be in every Mario Kart game. IMO the next non-Mario characters should be Captain Falcon in Kart (the poor guy is never getting his own game, so the least they could do is include him in another racing game especially since he already has his own track) as well as Link and Ganondorf in Tennis.

In other news the fact that they have 3DS titles to announce means there’s a chance the Virtual Boy Wario Land remake is real. Also, Wario Ware Gold is still doing rather well on the Japanese charts.
I feel like the best chance for Ashley would be if they do a WarioWare or Smash Bros pack. They might focus on adding back in other popular vets like Diddy and Birdo first.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Fingers crossed for an AT specific Ballot with multiple winners.
Mine too! Ashley and Waluigi have to be the top contenders for that one! :b:
Even if it only had one winner, she’d still have a pretty good shot.
There would need to be at least two. If there was just one, Waluigi would win by a landslide and we'd get no one else.
There are TWO Sceptile's now?!? D:
I wouldn't count Bomberman out either. I think those are definitely the top 3 by far. All the other AT's are a distant 3rd when compared to these three. Unless characters like Skull kid and Shadow are still AT's. I think Midna and Knuckles have fair chances too.
I think it's due to him being the only popular Zelda character that's not an assist trophy. Vaati seems to have been retried, Hilda would just be a Zelda echo and Lana is a Zelda spinoff character that might not even be owned by Nintendo.
That's too bad about Vaati :(
Hilda and Lana... I'm not sure why I mentioned them now lol. Becuz although she's been deconfirmed, I think Midna would have the strongest chance out of all the Zelda characters. She seems to be the most popular one-off character of the series. I think maybe Toon Zelda or Tetra has a chance too. The champions seem unlikely to me :(
Yeah see i think that confirms my stance on them being the top 3 by far. They are definite shoe-ins for AT DLC or Smash 6
If Nintendo is still paying attention and giving fan service to the players, I can definitely see them being DLC. Maybe not at 1st, but say Switch gets a 10 year life span with DLC added evert year to smash? Oh yeah~
So, any chance that Ashley gets announced as DLC for Mario Kart or Mario Tennis tomorrow
Maybe not tomorrow or the next day, but definitely one day for sure; it's inevitable!

My heart and prayers go out to the people of Japan, I know they will recover from this, but earthquakes are among the worst disasters- stay strong Japan!
IMO the next non-Mario characters should be Captain Falcon in Kart (the poor guy is never getting his own game, so the least they could do is include him in another racing game especially since he already has his own track) as well as Link and Ganondorf in Tennis.
I agree with you on capn falcon, but I could never see Ganondorf playing a friendly game of tennis! XD
And why does it have to be a ballot specific to ATs? If anything, a regular ballot being showered with Ashley votes will demonstrate that people won't care about her status as AT and want her playable still.
True :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom