• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I guess so, however, it's pretty much completely unlikely for her to join the battle at this point, I mean she was already as an assist trophy. I don't know guys and gals, I would love for Ashley to be in the game, but at this point, we have to until the next installment. :(
I don't think it's that unlikely for her to get in as DLC. I think the demand for Ashley is high enough for Sakurai to rethink her placement in Ultimate just like he's done with other assists in between games.

Ultimate seems to be trying to do what the fans want, and after all the salt assist trophies have been producing, it's one of the things I see them rectifying in DLC.

I still enjoy Ashley's classic design from the Touched!/Smooth Moves/D.I.Y. days the best! The way her dress flairs out at the bottom hems more, her long thigh/knee high black stockings, and how her twintails are bigger and longer all suits my tastes in cute aesthetics better~ That was the Ashley I fell in love with~<3
I do still enjoy the designs on the other characters though, and it's not like Ashley can ever be made to look ugly lul

True! :b:

YES! I've been saying this for a long time actually!
And another thing I'd like to point out- I think if they add a 'Smashified' version of this model to the game when she becomes playable, I see no reason to get rid of her Game & Wario style looking AT. I think this game can have two Ashley's no problem; there are already multiple versions of multiple characters all in as either stage elements, trophies, pokeballs, and fighters already so I think it's no big deal to leave an AT in the game if that AT character does indeed becomes playable, to me it's not a hassle or game design obstacle to overcome or be removed~
I wouldn't mind Ashley getting 2 sets of costumes like Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin got, but I'm not sure the classic and Gold Designs are distinct enough from each other to warrant that. I could see them either going with the design they already have for her as an assist, or using her potential new design in Warioware Switch.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I don't think it's that unlikely for her to get in as DLC. I think the demand for Ashley is high enough for Sakurai to rethink her placement in Ultimate just like he's done with other assists in between games.

Ultimate seems to be trying to do what the fans want, and after all the salt assist trophies have been producing, it's one of the things I see them rectifying in DLC.

I wouldn't mind Ashley getting 2 sets of costumes like Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin got, but I'm not sure the classic and Gold Designs are distinct enough from each other to warrant that. I could see them either going with the design they already have for her as an assist, or using her potential new design in Warioware Switch.
I agree with you too reguarding everything you said about Sakurai and AT's reguarding DLC. We have the same views on that front~ ;)

True. They're really not all that distinct from each the other all that much, the changes are very subtle. Most outside of the WW fandom wouldn't really notice these things but to me it's the subtle bits that stand out and are glaring to me the most hehe..

Ahh... I so hope a WW Switch is announced soon, I would love to see that! I'm sure whatever design they go with will be uber cute, as always~ Embarrass

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ashley has enough traction, if fans can keep showing that they really want her, the dlc phase carries a chance for it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If she doesn’t get in dlc, I doubt she could ever get in the next game, seeing as Sakurai himself said in a famitsu column that the team had opened pandora’s box (metaphorically. He basically said they would have to make cuts in the next one), and I doubt that there will even be a next game for at least six years. Would you really want to wait that long to have another game where she isn’t guaranteed? After the DLC cycle for this one ends, I’m out, but for now, I’ll support as much as possible.
I'm a Ridley fan, so I've been waiting 17 years already. I'm used to it. lulz

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Oof, I was worried that Ashley's popularity among western wario fans was less than 9-Volt's but that seems to have changed since last year. Here's the 2017 Mariowiki poll on the subject.

D1s0OyF.png

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Oof, I was worried that Ashley's popularity among western wario fans was less than 9-Volt's but that seems to have changed since last year. Here's the 2017 Mariowiki poll on the subject.

View attachment 163287
Nice! Our girl is moving up in the world! Even nicer considering number two is actually two separate characters ^^
I would have figured Penny would be up higher but oh well~

Everyone please consider liking this short video that still supports Ashley for Smash Ultimate. Consider it something of a petition without all the unnecessary red tape involved lul:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Looks like we're the #3 thread now. That's a shame. But Just gotta keep on going!

I just want Kat and Ana to break Ashley outta snowglobe prison already :(

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Alright so there's a direct tomorrow and it'll be showing 3DS content as well as Switch stuff. I think the most realistic expectation I have that helps Ashley is an announcement that solidifies the leak that predicted Gold and Ware Switch. If we either get Wario Land VB or a Links Awakening Remake then I will take that as a small victory for Ashley.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Looks like we're the #3 thread now. That's a shame. But Just gotta keep on going!

3th place? Not bad for a "unpopular character that never stood a chance", according to the haters.

Alright so there's a direct tomorrow and it'll be showing 3DS content as well as Switch stuff. I think the most realistic expectation I have that helps Ashley is an announcement that solidifies the leak that predicted Gold and Ware Switch. If we either get Wario Land VB or a Links Awakening Remake then I will take that as a small victory for Ashley.
I've seen this leak being referred to a lot but I've never seen it. Any link to it?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I would be very happy if we got Link's Awakening and Wario Land remakes. Wario Land especially deserves it.

It would be great if Ashley could be announced as Mario Kart 8 DLC. It would be nice if Nintendo at least acknowledged that she's popular.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 163287
is actually the 2016 poll, though the 2017 one had very similar results.

1536766964521.png

To be honest I don't put much stock into that since it gets a bunch of things wrong and the things it get rights can be chalked up to educated guesses

-Microgames: the previous highest number of microgames in a WW game was 223 and 300 is the next nice, round, number (plus the actual number of 316 though admitelly that kind of super precise information a 2nd hand source wouldn't necessarily have for an unannounced game)

-Story mode: The campaign structure in WW Gold isn't different from any of the previous games. What else where they going to do?

-There's no games using the camera.

-Amiibo support: While there's the amiibo paint extra, there's no microgames (in the plural or singular) that make use of it.

The only really eyebrow-raising statement is the full voice acting, THOUGH the claim it started development in late 2015 would line up with the fact the Nintendo games don't have anything newer than Super Mario Maker.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

It was bound to happen; Shantae support has been ravenous. I just hope what happened to us doesn't happen to them :(

She's been in there so long she's developed Stockholm syndrome.. She's starting to like it in there- we have to SAVE Ashley guys what are we doing!?!? D:
I get the other things helping Ashley but how does a Links Awakening Remake give her a victory? I'm surprised no one else asked this; am i just being dumb by not seeing the obvious? :confused:
I would be very happy if we got Link's Awakening and Wario Land remakes. Wario Land especially deserves it.

It would be great if Ashley could be announced as Mario Kart 8 DLC. It would be nice if Nintendo at least acknowledged that she's popular.
I would too ;)

Yeah I don't see what Nintendo doesn't understand about how people WILL pay to have a playable Ashley! Give us what we want Nintendo and we Will give you $$$
Wow. I don't even see Penny in this one. I thought she was more popular than that... :/

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
She's been in there so long she's developed Stockholm syndrome.. She's starting to like it in there- we have to SAVE Ashley guys what are we doing!?!? D:
I get the other things helping Ashley but how does a Links Awakening Remake give her a victory? I'm surprised no one else asked this; am i just being dumb by not seeing the obvious? :confused:
Because if The link's awakening remake is real then the leak that Samcumprit posted ( https://mobile.twitter.com/LeakReview/status/985331127647744000 ) is pretty much confirmed, which in turn would confirm that WarioWare switch is real and hence more Ashley content! (The same would apply for The wario land virtual boy remake and viceversa)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Because if The link's awakening remake is real then the leak that Samcumprit posted ( https://mobile.twitter.com/LeakReview/status/985331127647744000 ) is pretty much confirmed, which in turn would confirm that WarioWare switch is real and hence more Ashley content! (The same would apply for The wario land virtual boy remake and viceversa)
Ah OKEY
Thanks for catching me up on that! I hardly ever actually check out any 'leaks' for myself personally, becuz most of them turn out to be fake. I'm the type that usually only looks into a leak after the confirmation, so that's why i didn't knoe any of dis lul

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
is actually the 2016 poll, though the 2017 one had very similar results.

View attachment 163560
Oh thanks for the correction. I got it from Kyon who said he got it from you, and he told us that it was the 2017 poll. I didn't expect the tables to be turned this much since the 2015 poll showed 9V way in front of the rest of the cast. I'd be interested in seeing the 2017 poll if you have it, and the eventual 2018 poll.

To be honest I don't put much stock into that since it gets a bunch of things wrong and the things it get rights can be chalked up to educated guesses

-Microgames: the previous highest number of microgames in a WW game was 223 and 300 is the next nice, round, number (plus the actual number of 316 though admitelly that kind of super precise information a 2nd hand source wouldn't necessarily have for an unannounced game)

-Story mode: The campaign structure in WW Gold isn't different from any of the previous games. What else where they going to do?

-There's no games using the camera.

-Amiibo support: While there's the amiibo paint extra, there's no microgames (in the plural or singular) that make use of it.

The only really eyebrow-raising statement is the full voice acting, THOUGH the claim it started development in late 2015 would line up with the fact the Nintendo games don't have anything newer than Super Mario Maker.
I have some faith left since guessing a new compilation game for the 3ds and the right release year after the uncertainty Game and Wario left us in just lends this leak some credibilty despite some of the errors it has.

Like you said, the tease in Mantis' card and none of the Nintendo Microgames referencing past 2015 also support the information in this leak. This could all just be a lucky educated guess and I'll probably concede to that if we get nothing related to this leak in the next direct.

Here's that card for any of you wondering.

20180912_174556.jpg

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
The image I posted was the results of the 2017 poll, lol. There was no 2018 one - the "favorite Wario characters" category got removed because the results were getting too predictable.
Oh I didn't notice, heh. Kinda proves your point about the poll being predictable.

Maybe next year you could have the poll again since WW Gold could've changed people's perspectives on the characters.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo of Canada's PR representative acknowledged the popularity of Waluigi

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/12/nintendo-waluigi-acknowledgement-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

“I think it’s great when something builds naturally because, you know, as a marketer, when you have something that goes viral like that it’s brilliant,” he explained. “You can’t buy that. You can’t create it. And when the fans do something like that, it’s amazing. But it’s so good to see from a passionate side of things. And let’s face it, it’s funny."

I think that's an interesting statement and I couldn't say it better myself. In fact Ashley is a character that also has been building naturally as well which is a good sign. I'm pushing for Waluigi too because if he makes it through we know Ashley will be next on the list.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know, it's funny how, if Ashley was never disconfirmed, her likelihood for a reveal tomorrow would have been pretty high. Taking into account the music theory and the awkward blog post numbers, then only Pokemon, Xenoblade, Warioware and a Retro Newcomer with no home stage really have a chance at getting a unique newcomer in the direct.

Personally, I don't see Pokemon getting revealed tomorrow since I feel they would get an Alola stage and I somewhat feel that Xenoblade would get a new stage if it was a character from X or 2 just leaving Warioware as the likely newcomer since it's not a series that really needs stages.

If only ;_;

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
You know, it's funny how, if Ashley was never disconfirmed, her likelihood for a reveal tomorrow would have been pretty high. Taking into account the music theory and the awkward blog post numbers, then only Pokemon, Xenoblade, Warioware and a Retro Newcomer with no home stage really have a chance at getting a unique newcomer in the direct.

Personally, I don't see Pokemon getting revealed tomorrow since I feel they would get an Alola stage and I somewhat feel that Xenoblade would get a new stage if it was a character from X or 2 just leaving Warioware as the likely newcomer since it's not a series that really needs stages.

If only ;_;
Yeah I wish Ashley wouldn't have been deconfirmed so soon. Smash speculation isn't as fun. It just feel like I'm competing for consolation prizes.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah I wish Ashley wouldn't have been deconfirmed so soon. Smash speculation isn't as fun. It just feel like I'm competing for consolation prizes.
I get what you're saying. Ashley was at the tippy-top of my list, and it sucks that she didn't make the cut. That being said, I prefer the "ripped bandage" approach. I sort of hated the feeling of not knowing where she stood, especially as I increasingly began to buy into the idea that Ultimate was going to cater to the big and long-standing fan demands. Personally speaking, I thought that having Ashley's disconfirmation sandwiched between Dark Samus and King K. Rool was by far the best way to present it, as I friggin' love Metroid, and King K. Rool was the character I voted for in the Ballot. But that's just me.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

While Nintendo trademarked Wario Land VB last year and they trademarked Wario Land this year again. Skip Ltd has to keep the lights on somehow and there not a big enough team to jump to the Switch quite yet.

If only ;_;
While I think the 103 stages is the final count for the base game. A Gen 7 Pokemon can just use one of the Pokemon Stadium stages and Elma could just share Gaur Plain. If Ashley was still in the running for the base game I feel like most would be saying October due to it being closer to Halloween.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
She should've been in the E3 montage. I think Sakurai underestimated how popular she was, considering the other deconfirmed characters at E3 (Waluigi, Lyn, Bomberman, Knuckles, Krystal). I'd bet she wasn't even planned to be shown in the Smash Direct but they caught wind of how highly speculated she was and wanted to let fans know as soon as possible (given that she was the only returning AT shown and didn't get posted on the website).

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
She should've been in the E3 montage. I think Sakurai underestimated how popular she was, considering the other deconfirmed characters at E3 (Waluigi, Lyn, Bomberman, Knuckles, Krystal). I'd bet she wasn't even planned to be shown in the Smash Direct but they caught wind of how highly speculated she was and wanted to let fans know as soon as possible (given that she was the only returning AT shown and didn't get posted on the website).
If I remember correctly, her popularity didn't really take off until after E3, so I'd argue that it's better that it happened like this. If she was in the E3 montage, she arguably never would've had the chance to garner the support that she did.

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly that Ashley was put in the Smash Direct to stifle popularity before it got too out of hand. Again, up until mid-June, Ashley typically flew under the radar, so the uptick in support for her probably threw Sakurai and Nintendo off guard, haha.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, her popularity didn't really take off until after E3, so I'd argue that it's better that it happened like this. If she was in the E3 montage, she arguably never would've had the chance to garner the support that she did.

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly that Ashley was put in the Smash Direct to stifle popularity before it got too out of hand. Again, up until mid-June, Ashley typically flew under the radar, so the uptick in support for her probably threw Sakurai and Nintendo off guard, haha.
You know... I have some trouble thinking that was Nintendo's reasoning. I don't think Nintendo was unaware of Ashley's appeal (although there could have been some miscommunication inside Nintendo regarding her) . I also don't think Nintendo would go out of their way to just disconfirm a character. And wanting to stifle the popularity of one of their own characters just would be so extremely mean spirited and bordering on self-sabotage. I am still stumped by Ashley's odd presence on the direct, but I think we will have to wait on a famitsu article or something that talks about her to have some light shed on this situation.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
You know... I have some trouble thinking that was Nintendo's reasoning. I don't think Nintendo was unaware of Ashley's appeal (although there could have been some miscommunication inside Nintendo regarding her) . I also don't think Nintendo would go out of their way to just disconfirm a character. And wanting to stifle the popularity of one of their own characters just would be so extremely mean spirited and bordering on self-sabotage. I am still stumped by Ashley's odd presence on the direct, but I think we will have to wait on a famitsu article or something that talks about her to have some light shed on this situation.
Perhaps "stifle" wasn't the best choice of words. I don't think they want to kill off interest in the character, but considering this game is proposed to be the "ultimate" Smash experience, I'm sure they would like to minimize people getting their hopes up. You have to admit that Western support in Ashley instantaneously blew up after E3, where it was rather small-scale beforehand. Nintendo probably expected MIA Assist Trophies to gain some speed in support, but perhaps not to the extent that Ashley did.

I get that this is all speculation ... but that's literally what this forum is about, haha. After all, it's the best explanation for her showing up so randomly in the Smash Direct.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I feel that she may actually be the first dlc character, but that’s a tinfoil hat topic that I’ll let you guys go over.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I feel that she may actually be the first dlc character, but that’s a tinfoil hat topic that I’ll let you guys go over.
I'm reserving my opinion on DLC until we actually know it exists and see the first wave, but if Assist Trophy promotions end up being a thing, then there's no way Ashley isn't happening. I don't know if she'll be the first, but I could see her being a character bouncing around Sakurai's head even now, haha.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Another Mii outfit/AT character has been made playable. At this point you'd sound foolish to even think Sakurai didn't put a heavy consideration for Ashley to be playable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Another Mii outfit/AT character has been made playable. At this point you'd sound foolish to even think Sakurai didn't put a heavy consideration for Ashley to be playable.
I'd say it's safe to say they probably did. Isabelle is a semi-clone in some ways so it was easier to make her possible sooner.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I'd say it's safe to say they probably did. Isabelle is a semi-clone in some ways so it was easier to make her possible sooner.
Yeah, I was thinking this was the case too. Isabelle even uses her party popper like her Mii outfit. It's an indication if Ashley was made playable she'd probably have a good amount of her A button attacks use her rod.

I'd argue Ashley's a "realizable" character but in comparison to Isabelle who can borrow moves from an already existing character, Ashley would require more effort to conceive a moveset making her a little less "realizable" when put next to Isabelle.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So, uh, I found this.
Good to know that Black Suit Spider-Man is on our side. Maybe he can do some silly dancing and yelling about apartment door repairs on our behalf.

Yeah, I was thinking this was the case too. Isabelle even uses her party popper like her Mii outfit. It's an indication if Ashley was made playable she'd probably have a good amount of her A button attacks use her rod.

I'd argue Ashley's a "realizable" character but in comparison to Isabelle who can borrow moves from an already existing character, Ashley would require more effort to conceive a moveset making her a little less "realizable" when put next to Isabelle.
Honestly, this makes me a little more optimistic for DLC. Ashley's coffin nail wasn't that "WarioWare doesn't need a second rep", or anything like that. Perhaps it was because she was too unique of a character who was against some incredibly tough competition in the "unique character" category. She was considered, but compared to the likes of K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, etc, wasn't quite as high-priority. And she didn't have a workaround like Isabelle, who is obviously inspired by Villager, or Dark Samus, who could be treated like a doppelganger of a pre-existing character, so perhaps she'll get her chance in the near future...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
A non-echo Isabelle was just the curve-ball I needed to get interested in Smash speculation again post-assist. Bit bitter sweet to see Ashley's Badge Arcade Compatriot get a 'unique' slot over her. But I can't say it's undeserving.

Bit sad that there was no Wario Land VB or Link's Awakening remake announced, but I'll give it until early next year before I consider it bunk.

I agree and it's nothing but good news for Ashley, imo. That means there's a possibility Sakurai can change his mind if the support is there.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I think they where not expecting her to get so popular in America that fast so that had to let fans down easy before it got out of hand.
I still think Rex and Spring Man will happen first with a promoted assist trophy maybe being the 3rd DLC character.
Good to know that Black Suit Spider-Man is on our side. Maybe he can do some silly dancing and yelling about apartment door repairs on our behalf.

Honestly, this makes me a little more optimistic for DLC. Ashley's coffin nail wasn't that "WarioWare doesn't need a second rep", or anything like that. Perhaps it was because she was too unique of a character who was against some incredibly tough competition in the "unique character" category. She was considered, but compared to the likes of K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, etc, wasn't quite as high-priority. And she didn't have a workaround like Isabelle, who is obviously inspired by Villager, or Dark Samus, who could be treated like a doppelganger of a pre-existing character, so perhaps she'll get her chance in the near future...
Now that Animal Crossing has a 2nd character I feel like Xenobalde and Pikmin are the only other series outside of WarioWare that should have a 2nd character right now. F-Zero likely needs a return before they think about adding in another character.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Now that Animal Crossing has a 2nd character I feel like Xenobalde and Pikmin are the only other series outside of WarioWare that should have a 2nd character right now. F-Zero likely needs a return before they think about adding in another character.
I'd be down for both of those franchises getting a second rep! Xenoblade has the obvious choice of Rex (although I know others would prefer Elma, point being that there is certainly room for an appropriate second). I know that many people prefer Louie or Alph for a second rep. I'll be the contrarian who suggests a playable Bulborb, haha.

And I agree with you on F-Zero. I looooove F-Zero, but it's been dormant for over a decade, and none of the characters are passionate fan-favorites like King K. Rool was, so let's get a reboot going before we add a second character.

Top Bottom