• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

As some of you here already know, there was some ugly Ashley hate art going around for a while. But this picture here I don't consider to be a part of that category- I actually like it! I like it because unlike all those other horrible pictures of Ashley crying and stuff, this one actually keeps her in character! I could totally see this being her reaction; I mean, she gives poor Red this same look all the time! :smirk:
Thanks to the artist for making me laugh in spite of such a seemingly distraught situation~
If the art is funny and tasteful, then I'll still laugh along with it, because good humor deserves a laugh, regardless of the message. But I can't even begin to tell you, with each passing day, how badly I want Ashley in Smash. It really sucks to be stubborn sometimes, haha.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

As some of you here already know, there was some ugly Ashley hate art going around for a while. But this picture here I don't consider to be a part of that category- I actually like it! I like it because unlike all those other horrible pictures of Ashley crying and stuff, this one actually keeps her in character! I could totally see this being her reaction; I mean, she gives poor Red this same look all the time! :smirk:
Thanks to the artist for making me laugh in spite of such a seemingly distraught situation~
I also like it. Waluigi is also in character, and Shovel Knight being happy is also fun. Definitely way better than seeing K.Rool beating up Ashley for some weird reason... Who in his right mind draw beat up childs anyway?

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I actually think the fanart of K. Rool beating her up is pretty cool, because in it she seems to be resilient and determined unlike her usual seemingly disinterested self. It's like she really wanted to be part of Smash, and is doing her best to try getting in.

JJtheDragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJtheDragon
3DS FC
0216-0918-4359

A quick drawing I made of our favorite witch and greedy plumber.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it bad if I found that Simon & Richter witch-hanging art a while ago funny? Just seeing them act like two drunken idiots makes me chuckle regardless of the circumstance.

Zero & Alucard are of course too serious to care about petty things like representation, but I'm sure Zero is glad with assisting being a step up from what he was before and Alucard is happy, or perhaps surprised to be acknowledged at all given his game never touched Nintendo consoles (but I guess some other GBA titles featuring him did).

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I actually think the fanart of K. Rool beating her up is pretty cool, because in it she seems to be resilient and determined unlike her usual seemingly disinterested self. It's like she really wanted to be part of Smash, and is doing her best to try getting in.
I said that exact same thing when I saw it on 4chan. It's actually in character for her (besides losing to K Rool). And it's pretty cool having it come from K Rool. He knows how hard it is to actually get in Smash, so him beating her up feels less insulting and actually more encouraging.

Euler23

Smash Cadet
Good points, everyone.

Yeah, I'm viewing WarioWare Gold as far more comparable to Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia in terms of sales and marketing than anything else. A smaller, lower budget game made to squeeze out the last bit of profit from the 3DS than some big budget "if it doesn't do well than this franchise is dead forever" sort of deal. From word of mouth I heard that most stores don't have a ton of copies in stock, which makes sense to me as Nintendo's recognition of it's niche status. A modest investment for a modest gain. I think that WarioWare is still in the green for the foreseeable future.

And yeah, a second Smash ballet is gonna be a huge mess to be sure, but we have to keep trying if we want any hope of pulling through.
Well, that would be consistent with my data points. I tried to buy a copy from two different stores on launch weekend, but both were sold out. Just this past Saturday I got a copy from Toys R Us, but I had to ask for it and it was in the back. So there's that.

As for a second Smash ballot, they'll have to make sure it's somehow not rigged and there's no voter fraud or hacking from the Kremlin. The cynical side of me says the first one was just a publicity stunt all along. I mean it's not a very scientific way of doing things (anyone can vote 20 times a day), though I'm sure it gave them some ideas of where to look.

Eh, I'm gonna have to disagree with you, for a few reasons.

Why is it likely that she becomes less popular? Despite two relatively lackluster releases between Brawl and Smash 4, Nintendo of Japan suddenly deemed her a marketable character around 2015. While we on this board chalked that up to a good thing, we didn't take into consideration how that wave of marketability may have come a little too late, relative to Sakurai's development plans. Even now, if you read through some of the blurbs in WarioWare Gold, Ashley is obviously still a popular character. It's just a matter of seeing what Nintendo decides to do with her next.
That makes sense, but remember that these are the same people that revealed a new console only for even the smart people (gaming journalists and hardcore gamers) to confuse it with a new controller for the Wii. Nintendo makes excellent products, but their marketing is very hit or miss.

As far as Smash Ultimate goes, the newcomers are all in one of three categories:
Well, we really only have four non-echoes so far so I think our dataset is a little too small to draw firm conclusions.

As a beside, there's no way Smash 6 isn't happening. Even if Sakurai decides to retire as Smash Director, Nintendo will make sure that he bestows his blessing upon a new director. Remember, Smash is a AAA console-selling titan of a franchise. It's not an artisan indie graphic novel that can't make a sequel because the creator doesn't want to compromise aspects of the story, it's a series that Nintendo, as a business, wants to keep afloat due to the money it pulls in.
Well, 2D Mario games are system-sellers that consistently sell tens of millions of units yet the series went on a 15 year hiatus after the SNES era. More importantly though, I can easily see this being the last one and they continue making money off of it with expansions and DLC much like Skyrim, WoW, and Minecraft (with an all-in-one version coming out every few years). With a Smash 6 they would have to cut beloved veteran characters (Sakurai's least favourite part of his job), they wouldn't be able to have 100+ stages, and the online playerbase would become split between two different games.

I don't see the logical correlation between Step 1 and Step 2. WarioWare Gold, despite being out for less than a month on a dying console, seems to be doing alright. The series itself, despite being niche, seems to have a few "million-plus" installments under its belt, and Gold is a return to form, plus some. Not to mention, outside sources such as YouTubers and game journalists seem to be eating the game up. And if you're only concerned about marketing in so far as having a character in Smash, then don't worry: Wario is still a playable character.

Also, I wouldn't use F-Zero as an example, considering it is the complete inverse of what you are predicting for WW; where you seem to think WarioWare will sink due to a lack of a second representative, F-Zero sank IN SPITE of having a playable rep in every Smash game.
That's not quite what I was saying. My point was that the game would have low sales because it's on a dying console, and that another character in Smash may have helped alleviate that. But that's an interesting point, you're saying that F-Zero was meant to be a big-budget game but didn't pull in E ticket sales numbers whereas WarioWare was meant to be a smaller scale project with very modest expectations? At any rate, here are the present sales figures for Japan. I'm not sure if this is any good for two weeks after launch, though it should be noted that both WarioWare and the 3DS are much bigger in Japan than elsewhere:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...japanese_charts_games_fill_16_of_top_20_spots

That's what we're rallying behind: playable Ashley DLC in spite of her Assist Trophy. Sakurai doesn't need to say anything because, as was mentioned above, people will come out of the woodwork to give Ashley a run for her money. As it stands, a lot of other AT fandoms appear to be accepting defeat, where Ashley fans have taken to continuing support in hopes of getting DLC. Sakurai obviously knows about Ashley's growing popularity, which is presumably why he pulled the plug during the Smash Direct and showed her as an AT. This is a good first step for us. We just need to keep it up.
If he doesn't make it clear though, that could hurt Ashley on things like the Smash ballot.

And I agree about the DLC thing. Not only is Smash coming out early on in the the Switch's lifespan, but it will inevitably sell better than Smash 4, on a console that has already outsold the Wii U. Without a doubt, if DLC happens, it will be more expansive.
I read that as "more expensive" at first lol. I sure hope not!

I still think you're downplaying Ashley's odds, though. Sure, there are the goofballs who suggest Shrek, but as far as Nintendo characters go, who else is left, as far as actual marketable/popular/unique characters go?
Off the top of my head: Waluigi, Issac, Isabelle, whichever Pokemon don't get in this time (plus the ones in the new game), the new Fire Emblem characters, Spring Man, Krystal, Takamaru, Geno, Shadow, Impa, Skull Kid.

I would argue that pretty much any super Nintendo All-Star is already in the game, so now is the perfect opportunity for those smaller-scale superstars (like Ashley) to shine, assuming Sakurai is willing to promote Assist Trophies. Assuming the fan-rule of "Assist Trophies can't be playable" isn't actually a thing, and third-parties aren't as involved as they were during Smash 4's DLC, I think Ashley automatically floats to the top. She's popular, she has the capacity for a unique moveset, and she has an interesting personality that would also meld well with the rest of the cast. That is literally everything Sakurai looks for in a character.
One thing I've learned from all this is that Sakurai is both unpredictable and a bit of a troll. There's a formula, sure, but he regularly goes "lol nothing matters" and does whatever he feels like. Everyone that tries to figure him out gets been burned badly.

As far as an Echo goes, I'd be down, because I still get my Ashley amiibo and whatnot, but I'll be darned if I can think of a character she'd be an Echo of.
I'm not sure here (her magic moves would likely be pretty unique), but perhaps Lip or Geno depending on what the director decides to do with those characters. They at least fit the size/shape criteria. Heck, I even saw a ROM hack of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with Ashley as a Lucas clone.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
That's not quite what I was saying. My point was that the game would have low sales because it's on a dying console, and that another character in Smash may have helped alleviate that. But that's an interesting point, you're saying that F-Zero was meant to be a big-budget game but didn't pull in E ticket sales numbers whereas WarioWare was meant to be a smaller scale project with very modest expectations? At any rate, here are the present sales figures for Japan. I'm not sure if this is any good for two weeks after launch, though it should be noted that both WarioWare and the 3DS are much bigger in Japan than elsewhere:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...japanese_charts_games_fill_16_of_top_20_spots
According to VGchartz, it's out pacing Samus Returns when it came out in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/182673/metroid-samus-returns/

That game was considered a success with a half a million sales, so I'm hoping that Warioware Gold reaches that threshold. Also, while it is relatively more popular in Japan, the raw sales have recently been pretty split between the regions. Smooth Moves actually sold the worst in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6151/warioware-smooth-moves/summary

So I'm guessing Gold is doing just as well in Europe, maybe a bit less in NA.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The next smash ballot better not be another stunt like it was last time with bayonetta. That reveal was the most outrageous thing to ever happen... aside from Corrin and smash tour.

Euler23

Smash Cadet
According to VGchartz, it's out pacing Samus Returns when it came out in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/182673/metroid-samus-returns/

That game was considered a success with a half a million sales, so I'm hoping that Warioware Gold reaches that threshold. Also, while it is relatively more popular in Japan, the raw sales have recently been pretty split between the regions. Smooth Moves actually sold the worst in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6151/warioware-smooth-moves/summary

So I'm guessing Gold is doing just as well in Europe, maybe a bit less in NA.
Not exactly the best source, but that is similar to these figures:

https://warioforums.com/threads/new-wario-series-sales-thread.2511/#post-50038

So that's interesting. 500K units would be pretty good for the 3DS.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So I thought about who can potentially make the AT jump in dlc, and compiled a list of the best options:
- Waluigi
- Knuckles
- Ashley
- Shovel Knight
- Zero
- Krystal
- Takamaru
If they are confirmed to return:
- Skull Kid
- Shadow
- Isabelle
- Kat & Ana
- Isaac
Even though the list is pretty long, we have to take into consideration that we haven’t seen the full base roster yet, so this list could be shorter by launch. That, and Ashley is one of the most popular on the list that has already been confirmed, so I can see her taking precedence over most (If not all) of the others.
To be honest, I'd classify 3rd party assists in a different boat entirely. They have, and always will have, bigger hurdles to cross than first party characters regardless of the situation. For example, I don't think Zero would ever be in because Megaman will always be the Megaman series rep. Popularity can only go so far. If any Assist trophies get promoted, I'd imagine they'd be locked to first party choices due to the ease of it more than anything. Of those, I really only see Waluigi and Ashley getting support. Takamaru (mostly) only has support for a retro rep rather than genuine want of the character. Lyn is another sword wielding FE character who really won't get much support within the Smash base. Krystal is the only iffy one, but with the return of Wolf and her own series (thus far) seemingly writing her out, I feel her support wouldn't be very high. Only Isaac really poses a problem, but if he fails to make the base roster and fails to make AT, at the very least, he wouldn't be competing for an assist trophy promotion spot. In terms of the confirmed assists, Only Waluigi poses any real threat, but if both groups support their character with equal enthusiasm, it's possible to get both.

Admittedly, I did always have a nagging negativism in the back of my head in regards to her odds because so far as I know her popularity was not as high during the Sm4sh era as it clearly was this time around for Ultimate and all the evidence that pointed towards her popularity had Ko Takeuchi's name on everything. And by my estimation, she's currently breaking out but hasn't made the full leap as a breakout character. I would say that a high priority goal to shoot for would be to get her into the Mario spin-off titles, especially Mario Kart (as it's the largest spin-off).
I think a lot of us here were just hoping that Smash would be what Ashley needed to be a break out character. Regardless of Ko's involvement, I've seen quite a few people that weren't particularly Ashley fans express that it really felt that all the cards were in Ashley's favor immediately prior to the direct. If MK8D DLC does happen, I really do think Ashley has a high chance to be included and I can only imagine that really boosting her as a character, especially for Smash.

To be fair, Warioware Gold is partially a remake. It's within the realm of possibility that the game itself had lower sales expectations than normal because of that.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
That makes sense, but remember that these are the same people that revealed a new console only for even the smart people (gaming journalists and hardcore gamers) to confuse it with a new controller for the Wii. Nintendo makes excellent products, but their marketing is very hit or miss.
Yes, it's true that Nintendo has had a history of iffy marketing. But let's also remember that their marketing stunts back in the day are the reason we're even talking about video games in the 2010's, haha. And, more importantly, as far as WarioWare Gold's marketing has gone, it has seemingly matched the caliber of the game itself, I would say.

Well, we really only have four non-echoes so far so I think our dataset is a little too small to draw firm conclusions.
We have eight newcomers, Echoes included. Three of those are classic "speculation" picks, some of which have been wanted since Melee. Another four are popular, in their own right, but are also easy on development time due to their potential as Echoes. Then there's Inkling, who's sort of a more modern offshoot of the first category. The sample size is big enough. Considering we're less than four months away from the game's release, I doubt the sample size will get too much bigger (and if it does, I'm guessing most of those will be Echoes).

Well, 2D Mario games are system-sellers that consistently sell tens of millions of units yet the series went on a 15 year hiatus after the SNES era. More importantly though, I can easily see this being the last one and they continue making money off of it with expansions and DLC much like Skyrim, WoW, and Minecraft (with an all-in-one version coming out every few years). With a Smash 6 they would have to cut beloved veteran characters (Sakurai's least favourite part of his job), they wouldn't be able to have 100+ stages, and the online playerbase would become split between two different games.
This is more of a "tomato, tomato" case. Sure, 2D sidescrolling Mario took a break, but it was suspiciously around the time that 3D Mario was born, almost as if one was the natural progression of the other. You may see it as one successful series coming to a halt while another begins, but I see it as the series evolving in order to utilize the technology that was once unavailable.

And sure, if a sequel were to be made, there may not be as many characters or stages, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally would love to see the series reborn, trimming the fat on the roster, bringing in newcomers in their place, and presenting new ideas that there simply wasn't time to birth during games like Ultimate.

That wasn't my point, but I'll take it, haha.

No, I was saying this: It doesn't matter if a series has a character in Smash or not, as nice as the exposure may be. The end-all is "does the game look appealing enough to consumers to the point that it sells successfully?" F-Zero, seemingly, was not successful, despite Captain Falcon's legendary nature as "the superhero guy from Smash". WarioWare Gold, on the other hand, seems to be doing just fine in the marketing department, and, as a (presumably) lower-budget title on a dying console (with a sizable install base, mind you) seems to be selling alright. That's why the jump from "Step 1: No Smashley" to "Step 2: Wario dies forever" is illogical, in my eyes.

If he doesn't make it clear though, that could hurt Ashley on things like the Smash ballot.
A couple of things here:

1) A second Smash Ballot is purely hypothetical. As a matter of fact, while I can't find it right now, I could've sworn that I read an article where Sakurai said he learned a lot from the Ballot, but doesn't intend to do another one any time soon. Even without a Ballot, there are plenty of avenues to show your support, though.

2) If a second Ballot were to happen, it would be remiss of Sakurai to say "rule number one: NO ASSIST TROPHIES!", considering so many of them are popular characters that Sakurai simply considered too low-priority for the time being (Krystal, Knuckles, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Zero, Ashley, Waluigi, and Midna, just to name a few off the top of my head). If Sakurai loves money, and the consumers voted for an Assist Trophy, he would put them in, no questions asked.

I read that as "more expensive" at first lol. I sure hope not!
Haha, no. I would be pretty mad if they made the DLC more expensive. It's gonna be bad enough that there'll probably be more of it this time around, haha.

Off the top of my head: Waluigi, Issac, Isabelle, whichever Pokemon don't get in this time (plus the ones in the new game), the new Fire Emblem characters, Spring Man, Krystal, Takamaru, Geno, Shadow, Impa, Skull Kid.
I was initially going to do an in-depth analysis of this one sentence, but to save time, I will just say this: I was referring to characters that could be considered "Nintendo All-Stars". You know the ones: the characters from successful franchises that show up all the time, and everyone likes them ... more or less. Some of these characters could certainly be considered slightly out of left field "popularity" choices, but I wouldn't call Isaac a "Nintendo All-Star". Also, Geno and Shadow aren't Nintendo characters.

Ashley is a likable character, especially in Japan (and, as we've learned recently, she even has a dedicated fanbase in the West, as well). As such, she is also marketable. And, while her series can be considered niche, it is a series with obvious staying power, considering it has appeared on every console since the GBA. Ashley has even gone on to ascend her home series, which rarely happens for minor characters. I think it's safe to say that she's among the Nintendo All-Stars.

One thing I've learned from all this is that Sakurai is both unpredictable and a bit of a troll. There's a formula, sure, but he regularly goes "lol nothing matters" and does whatever he feels like. Everyone that tries to figure him out gets been burned badly.
In general, I agree with you, but as it relates to this particular game, I dunno. Literally every character so far is a popular pick. And it's not like we have a lot of them left. If he has a "left field" card up his sleeve, it probably should've been played sometime sooner, haha. When you start off with Inkling and Ridley, and work your way up to Simon Belmont and King K. Rool, expectations are only going to get higher. If he pulls some dorky character like Bubbles from Clu Clu Land (I love Bubbles, but you get the point) out of thin air at this point, I will admit, it will be kind of disappointing. The man is obviously consulting the Ballot like a sacred text. Just think about how he has described at least three characters as "popular choices" (Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus). Fan-favoritism is obviously playing a role.

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
Alucard is happy, or perhaps surprised to be acknowledged at all given his game never touched Nintendo consoles (but I guess some other GBA titles featuring him did).
While he took a back seat to Trevor in this game, don't forget Alucard was also a playable character in "Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse" for the NES.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I actually think Nintendo's marketing has been on point lately. While I agree that Gold might be a little under-pushed, I think Nintendo wants to put all it's eggs in the Smash basket right now. Which is understandable.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
In general, I agree with you, but as it relates to this particular game, I dunno. Literally every character so far is a popular pick. And it's not like we have a lot of them left. If he has a "left field" card up his sleeve, it probably should've been played sometime sooner, haha. When you start off with Inkling and Ridley, and work your way up to Simon Belmont and King K. Rool, expectations are only going to get higher. If he pulls some dorky character like Bubbles from Clu Clu Land (I love Bubbles, but you get the point) out of thin air at this point, I will admit, it will be kind of disappointing. The man is obviously consulting the Ballot like a sacred text. Just think about how he has described at least three characters as "popular choices" (Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus). Fan-favoritism is obviously playing a role.
I don't think their point is really about pulling weird off the wall characters as much as it is that Sakurai himself likes to surprise the fanbase however he sees fit with characters that have some modicum of desire. I think Sakurai still has a lot of surprises for this game and I do honestly believe that this game is unleakable. Not so much that nothing's going to leak, but that anything that does get leaked will be just that unbelievable.

Okay guys, no pressure, but now is definitely a good time to make the Twitter account, things have mostly cooled down now so the timing is great.
I'm wondering how we're going about doing this. We do need to organize to be able to get something like this off the ground.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I ended up putting 35 hours into WarioWare Gold and the game sure made up for the the kind of lackluster Game & Wario. I got all of the unlockables including all of the rank A and B cards. Ashley was one of my favorite characters in the game alongside 9-Volt and Mona. I would like to join the support group as while.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I don't think their point is really about pulling weird off the wall characters as much as it is that Sakurai himself likes to surprise the fanbase however he sees fit with characters that have some modicum of desire. I think Sakurai still has a lot of surprises for this game and I do honestly believe that this game is unleakable. Not so much that nothing's going to leak, but that anything that does get leaked will be just that unbelievable.

I'm wondering how we're going about doing this. We do need to organize to be able to get something like this off the ground.
That's exactly why I'm starting to believe the Gardevoir leak that has Gothitelle in it, cause who the heck would put that ugly looking thing (apologies to whatever fans it has) in a fake leak? This roster has been getting almost too predictable with the popular picks, we could use a good old Sakurai gobsmack right about now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's exactly why I'm starting to believe the Gardevoir leak that has Gothitelle in it, cause who the heck would put that ugly looking thing (apologies to whatever fans it has) in a fake leak? This roster has been getting almost too predictable with the popular picks, we could use a good old Sakurai gobsmack right about now.
I can kinda see that, but it could also just be a niche wishlist from the leaker's side. As much as I agree, I do assume Gothitelle to have a small dedicated fanbase, no less due to it being one of the female-looking pokemon that many people have a lot of positive affinity with.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

I cry for zero, LOL.
anyway, what do you guys think of the skull kid theory?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't really believe in the Skull Kid theories. I'm not against him; he may not be my first pick for a Zelda rep... But it still a Zelda rep from a game I love.

But I don't see Sakurai giving big hints like this. You can't create surprise if you basically tell what you'll show. And misleading people would just make them rage. It's just a coincidence to me, and Skull Kid can simply come in Smash thanks to his own merits, mainly his popularity and HUUUUGE fanbase, who managed to get him in Hyrule Warriors Legends after being an NPC in the Majora's Mask DLC pack.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I ended up putting 35 hours into WarioWare Gold and the game sure made up for the the kind of lackluster Game & Wario. I got all of the unlockables including all of the rank A and B cards. Ashley was one of my favorite characters in the game alongside 9-Volt and Mona. I would like to join the support group as while.
Welcome aboard the Smashley Train! May we see our favorite witch make her dazzling debut through DLC!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
That's good to hear, fam. If you don't mind me asking, what did you like about Ashley? I just like hearing about people's tastes.

I cry for zero, LOL.
anyway, what do you guys think of the skull kid theory?
The background and mushroom connection sound like nonsense to me. The fact that the Moon is an assist is the only thing that really strikes me as a clue to his inclusion. He already had a decent chance by being a heavily requested missing assist, now he has another assist that effectively "replaces" him. Like if Ashley wasn't shown, but they did show a new Warioware assist trophy, we would rightfully go nuts about the news.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
With DLC season and any hope of Ashley being playable still being a long time away, I'm just gonna drop this startlingly accurate prediction of the future made three friggin years ago. Under spoilers for length.

Sauce: http://behonkiss.tumblr.com/post/129748782392
That's a little scary, haha. I'm hoping that Waluigi could act as a DLC Trojan Horse for Ashley, but I would be happier if the reverse was true. I'm down with both characters, but I think I've made it clear where my priorities lie.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
That's a little scary, haha. I'm hoping that Waluigi could act as a DLC Trojan Horse for Ashley, but I would be happier if the reverse was true. I'm down with both characters, but I think I've made it clear where my priorities lie.
I want Waluigi in if he could be the Mario Spin-Off games representative. I'm talking about him running over people in a go-kart, throwing those Mario Party dice cubes at dudes and using all the Mario Sports special moves and stuff. For that I can think of no better candidate than the Waaa. If not, then I don't really care one way or another since there's a million other Nintendo characters with more interesting moveset potential, like a Custom Robo representative or whatever.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm viewing WarioWare Gold as far more comparable to Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia in terms of sales and marketing than anything else. A smaller, lower budget game made to squeeze out the last bit of profit from the 3DS than some big budget "if it doesn't do well than this franchise is dead forever" sort of deal. From word of mouth I heard that most stores don't have a ton of copies in stock, which makes sense to me as Nintendo's recognition of it's niche status. A modest investment for a modest gain. I think that WarioWare is still in the green for the foreseeable future.

And yeah, a second Smash ballet is gonna be a huge mess to be sure, but we have to keep trying if we want any hope of pulling through.
Couldn't be much worse than the people wanting Shrek. I hope.

In any case, for what it's worth, I would at least vote for some Wario Ware characters (among others) to try and steer things in the right direction.

SK's reaction is precious, he knows that he gets to be in at all.

I want Waluigi in if he could be the Mario Spin-Off games representative. I'm talking about him running over people in a go-kart, throwing those Mario Party dice cubes at dudes and using all the Mario Sports special moves and stuff. For that I can think of no better candidate than the Waaa. If not, then I don't really care one way or another since there's a million other Nintendo characters with more interesting moveset potential, like a Custom Robo representative or whatever.
I think the main determining factor is whether he shows up in a "big" title. Last Fall, Daisy became DLC for Super Mario Run, Nintendo's big name mobile phone Mario title, and wouldn't you know it, she got promoted here.

I'm not for sure on what to think about that waluigi face
It's OK. To be overwhelmed by such indescribable beauty only proves that you are still human. :laugh:
Besides, if you want to know who's responsible, Dragonith did it, and he's a supporter of the ballot. :p

https://www.deviantart.com/dragonith/art/Smash-Ballots-Wario-525213841

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
That would be pretty cool. Mario spin-offs are his bread-and-butter, so I can't think of anyone better to represent them.

That being said, I wouldn't write him off too easily. Sure, he's an Assist Trophy now, but he could be a newcomer with massive mainstream appeal down the line. He might just be some spin-off character to us, but the casual market doesn't differentiate between "core Mario" and "spin-off Mario". When they boot up Mario Kart/Party/Golf/Tennis/etc. to play with their friends, Waluigi is guaranteed to be there (Mario Kart 7 notwithstanding). And, for a fanbase that paraded Ashley's 3DS themes and advert appearances, it would be hypocritical of us to not point out that the man is on t-shirts, plushes, posters, etc. on an international scale.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
That would be pretty cool. Mario spin-offs are his bread-and-butter, so I can't think of anyone better to represent them.

That being said, I wouldn't write him off too easily. Sure, he's an Assist Trophy now, but he could be a newcomer with massive mainstream appeal down the line. He might just be some spin-off character to us, but the casual market doesn't differentiate between "core Mario" and "spin-off Mario". When they boot up Mario Kart/Party/Golf/Tennis/etc. to play with their friends, Waluigi is guaranteed to be there (Mario Kart 7 notwithstanding). And, for a fanbase that paraded Ashley's 3DS themes and advert appearances, it would be hypocritical of us to not point out that the man is on t-shirts, plushes, posters, etc. on an international scale.
Definitely. I didn't want to come across as too dismissive of him, I actually love Waluigi and would like to have him in just for the memes and to round out the Mario Bros/Wario Bros theme. It's more so that if they're not going to use his most fun, fitting, and interesting potential for a moveset, then there are other characters that could use the love just as much.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Definitely. I didn't want to come across as too dismissive of him, I actually love Waluigi and would like to have him in just for the memes and to round out the Mario Bros/Wario Bros theme. It's more so that if they're not going to use his most fun, fitting, and interesting potential for a moveset, then there are other characters that could use the love just as much.
No, haha, you definitely didn't come across that way. I just wanted to put that out there. I see a few people across the net who insist that Waluigi is an insignificant character, but in reality, he's pretty recognizable on an almost mainstream level. That's something most video game characters could only pray for.

I'm not too big a"Waluigi supporter", but my fondness of Waluigi and his dorky antics predate even Brawl. While Ashley's fate (along with Ridley's and K. Rool's) was an actual determining factor of how excited I'll be about Ultimate, Waluigi is simply a character that I think would be fun to play as.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Where is this picture I might take a look

Speaking of k rool

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/#post-22305163

From this I'm clueless to why Ashley failed again for playable

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

Speaking of k rool

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/#post-22305163

It's right here if you wanna see it.

To me it's more mean-spirited than anything else, and a poor show of sportsmanship to be gloating like this. Thankfully the K. Rool supporters here at SmashBoards are way nicer.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

Speaking of k rool

I take this as a positive. Sure, it sucks that Ashley isn't in right now, but if we continue to show our public support and bring people to our side, Nintendo will have to realize that the fans want a playable Ashley. The K. Rool fanbase is awesome proof of this, considering Nintendo had every intention of putting the character on ice. Their battle was even more uphill and impossible than ours, and yet, here we are.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

To me it's more mean-spirited than anything else, and a poor show of sportsmanship to be gloating like this. Thankfully the K. Rool supporters here at SmashBoards are way nicer.
Dang that is a good picture

Sad,y I kind of figure down a picture like this would spawn

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

To play devil's advocate, King K. Rool seems like the kind of guy who would punch a little girl in the face multiple times.

But yeah, it's pretty messed up.

Top Bottom