• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Where is this picture I might take a look

Speaking of k rool

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/#post-22305163

From this I'm clueless to why Ashley failed again for playable
Having a smaller base than K. Rool's is probably a big reason why. Let's remember that this thread only had 3 pages filled before e3, while Rool had like over 2000 replies. It was very hard to ignore them.

I'm guessing with how many fan favs have gotten in and are expected to come in, Ashley will be a contender for that "Big 3" meme title that used to belong to Rool, Geno, and Isaac.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I guess now's as good a time as any to Rally the forces, at least preliminarily

https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1030202551696875521

Get those Ashley votes going and spread the word to the other Ashley fans.
Absolutely. Our support is already showing in that reddit poll we linked earlier. The results came in, and our girl got 10th!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._survey_results_based_on_over?sort=confidence

• 10~ Ashley (WarioWare) [76 votes, 3.3%]
  • 9~ Rayman (Rayman) [84 votes, 3.6%]
  • 8~ Sora (Kingdom Hearts) [96 votes, 4.1%]
  • 7~ Rex/Pyra (Xenoblade) [107 votes, 4.6%]
  • 6~ Bandanna Dee (Kirby) [165 votes, 7.1%]
  • 5~ Geno (Super Mario RPG) [170 votes, 7.3%]
  • 4~ Isaac (Golden Sun) [181 votes, 7.8%]
  • 3~ Banjo Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie) [192 votes, 8.2%]
  • 2~ Waluigi (Super Mario) [199 votes, 8.5%]
  • 1~ Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda) [214 votes, 9.2%]

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Absolutely. Our support is already showing in that reddit poll we linked earlier. The results came in, and our girl got 10th!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._survey_results_based_on_over?sort=confidence

• 10~ Ashley (WarioWare) [76 votes, 3.3%]
  • 9~ Rayman (Rayman) [84 votes, 3.6%]
  • 8~ Sora (Kingdom Hearts) [96 votes, 4.1%]
  • 7~ Rex/Pyra (Xenoblade) [107 votes, 4.6%]
  • 6~ Bandanna Dee (Kirby) [165 votes, 7.1%]
  • 5~ Geno (Super Mario RPG) [170 votes, 7.3%]
  • 4~ Isaac (Golden Sun) [181 votes, 7.8%]
  • 3~ Banjo Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie) [192 votes, 8.2%]
  • 2~ Waluigi (Super Mario) [199 votes, 8.5%]
  • 1~ Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda) [214 votes, 9.2%]
Oh Goody. I remember doing my part there too. Funny how the bandwagon made Skull Kid get #1

Last edited:

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
Wow tenth place, we are slowly moving up in popularity. Let’s keep it going : )

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Wow tenth place, we are slowly moving up in popularity. Let’s keep it going : )
Indeed. Considering how people thought that asking for ATs is stupid and she still got a high place, that's a good result. When people stop with that AT = no dlc meme her support will shoot up again.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
Awesome, 10th place! I've made sure to vote in the unofficial ballot as well. Hope everyone's having a fine week~

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Okay, I want to put this into perspective a bit more. She barely made it out. The big names who were below Ashley goes as follows.

11. Paper Mario [71 Votes, 3%]
12. Shovel Knight [62 Votes, 2.7%]
13. Doom Guy [59 Votes, 2.5%]
14. Crash Bandicoot [53 Votes, 2.3%]
15. Shantae [51 Votes, 2.2%]
16. Decidueye [50 Votes, 2.1%]
17. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl [31 Votes, 1.3%]
18. Marx [27, 1.2%]
19. Chibi Robo [24 Votes, 1%]
20. Tails/Knuckles [23 Votes 1%]
21. Captain Toad [22 Votes, 0.9%]

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Don't need a twitter account. Just a google account
In this case, yeah, but I think Twitter will soon become a huge battlefield for Ashley, and we will need as much soldiers(or minions?) as we can. Maybe not right now but keep alert at how things evolve.

Okay, I want to put this into perspective a bit more. She barely made it out.
I know, but our job now is to kill the "She is an AT, give up" meme. Our first barrier to push through. This is a good first step.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Twitter has decided that my week-old profile with no content has been compromised and refuses to send me a verification code, so it's up to y'all.

Also, I'm glad to hear that Ashley made it into that Reddit Top 10! Honestly, if those ten characters were our DLC, I would be ecstatic for eight of them! And since I've done a lot of contrarian debating the past couple days, I won't even tell you which ones I hate/ am indifferent towards!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Smosh did a Honest Trailers for WarioWare. It's good to see it got their attention.
I liked this one. I usually get a little ticked off at these because of the inaccuracies, like the Fire Emblem one, but this one is pretty spot on and flattering.

Also Devil Daria is a pretty sick nickname for Ashley.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Okay, I want to put this into perspective a bit more. She barely made it out. The big names who were below Ashley goes as follows.

11. Paper Mario [71 Votes, 3%]
12. Shovel Knight [62 Votes, 2.7%]
13. Doom Guy [59 Votes, 2.5%]
14. Crash Bandicoot [53 Votes, 2.3%]
15. Shantae [51 Votes, 2.2%]
16. Decidueye [50 Votes, 2.1%]
17. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl [31 Votes, 1.3%]
18. Marx [27, 1.2%]
19. Chibi Robo [24 Votes, 1%]
20. Tails/Knuckles [23 Votes 1%]
21. Captain Toad [22 Votes, 0.9%]
Considering Ashley is confirmed as an Assist Trophy, and that probably turned some people off to the idea of voting for her, I think that her making the Top 10 is phenomenal. She did better than most of the inevitable horde of third-parties that drown out the actual Nintendo characters, so that's something! And again, she did that despite already having her Assist Trophy revealed!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Considering Ashley is confirmed as an Assist Trophy, and that probably turned some people off to the idea of voting for her, I think that her making the Top 10 is phenomenal. She did better than most of the inevitable horde of third-parties that drown out the actual Nintendo characters, so that's something! And again, she did that despite already having her Assist Trophy revealed!
Yep, and it just means we have to push harder. The sooner an Ashley twitter account goes up the better.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
One of my favorite responses I got from Reddit.

"If they ever do make the decision to "resurrect" ATs into playable, I could see them getting cheeky with it, like maybe having Wario sneak into an AT storage room, grabbing Waluigi and Ashley, and then releasing them."

I guess he could do the same for Bomberman since they technically know each other.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
One of my favorite responses I got from Reddit.

"If they ever do make the decision to "resurrect" ATs into playable, I could see them getting cheeky with it, like maybe having Wario sneak into an AT storage room, grabbing Waluigi and Ashley, and then releasing them."

I guess he could do the same for Bomberman since they technically know each other.
Haha, I could see Sakurai making a big thing about Assists being promoted via DLC like that. It's probably more realistic to simply expect quick announcements like Smash 4's DLC, and that's fine with me. I won't complain if Ashley is announced as playable but she doesn't get an expensive cutscene to go with her, because, at the end of the day, we're getting what we want, haha.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Haha, I could see Sakurai making a big thing about Assists being promoted via DLC like that. It's probably more realistic to simply expect quick announcements like Smash 4's DLC, and that's fine with me. I won't complain if Ashley is announced as playable but she doesn't get an expensive cutscene to go with her, because, at the end of the day, we're getting what we want, haha.
Personally, I don't need a fancy announcement trailer for her. She could just be revealed just like the Echoes have been and I'd still be stoked.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Personally, I don't need a fancy announcement trailer for her. She could just be revealed just like the Echoes have been and I'd still be stoked.
Exactly. Remember how newcomers were announced for Brawl? You wake up, eat your breakfast, get ready for school, and check the website to see what's been announced, only to see the "Challenger Approaching" banner atop the website. You create your own suspense by choosing just how slowly you scroll down, and BAM! Lucas! Who's Lucas? Who cares! He looks cool.

I would have Ashley's announcement be THAT simple if it cemented her odds as a DLC character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hope they don't think they always need to be flashy. I can understand it for ridley and k.rool, but they don't always need that much. At least not if it uses resources they could use to make characters XD

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I like how she is a witch that has a lot to learn and not another perfect witch who can do everything right and her colors being some of favorites in red and black also helps. I also really liked the story they give her in the badge arcade and it showed with how much more popular she got when it comes to Smash speculation. Here's a funny Ashley picture I found on Discord to make up for some of the ones where she is getting beat up.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I like how she is a witch that has a lot to learn and not another perfect witch who can do everything right and her colors being some of favorites in red and black also helps. I also really liked the story they give her in the badge arcade and it showed with how much more popular she got when it comes to Smash speculation. Here's a funny Ashley picture I found on Discord to make up for some of the ones where she is getting beat up.
We need to keep this train of wholesome Ashley art going. I offer these as tribute:

Sauce(s): Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I like how she is a witch that has a lot to learn and not another perfect witch who can do everything right
This is kinda off topic but then you will love the anime Ojamajo Doremi if you haven't watched it yet, it has that exact premise/characters.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Having a smaller base than K. Rool's is probably a big reason why. Let's remember that this thread only had 3 pages filled before e3, while Rool had like over 2000 replies. It was very hard to ignore them.

I'm guessing with how many fan favs have gotten in and are expected to come in, Ashley will be a contender for that "Big 3" meme title that used to belong to Rool, Geno, and Isaac.
The Big 3 has always been K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo. This was started pre-Smash 4 and towards its launch seeing as Mewtwo was nowhere in sight until the 50 Fact Extravaganza.

The new Big 3 may include Geno if being 3rd party doesn't hurt hs chances in the fans eyes. I'd honestly say from looking at what people wanted. Ashley, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee seemed biggest.. but after the K. Rool reveal and the Ashley R.I.P..who knows..

I am curious to see who you all think the next Big 3 are?

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Okay, in a new development, I tried to set up an Ashley fan Twitter account. Before I could so much as write a Bio, Twitter decided that I was breaking terms of service and is now stonewalling me by insisting that they sent me a verification code, even though they haven't. At all. SINCE LAST NIGHT.

If these are the impossible hoops you have to jump through, why do people like Twitter so much?

That being said, I'll leave one of y'all to carry this torch, and I'll follow from behind as best I can. It was going to be a page that followed all the main Nintendo news outlets, as well as related users like Ko Takeuchi and Erica Lindbeck, and also shared fan art that Ashley fans created and gave permission to use (as well as a name to go along with it).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Okay, in a new development, I tried to set up an Ashley fan Twitter account. Before I could so much as write a Bio, Twitter decided that I was breaking terms of service and is now stonewalling me by insisting that they sent me a verification code, even though they haven't. At all. SINCE LAST NIGHT.

If these are the impossible hoops you have to jump through, why do people like Twitter so much?

That being said, I'll leave one of y'all to carry this torch, and I'll follow from behind as best I can. It was going to be a page that followed all the main Nintendo news outlets, as well as related users like Ko Takeuchi and Erica Lindbeck, and also shared fan art that Ashley fans created and gave permission to use (as well as a name to go along with it).
They should have support for when things go wrong. But just try again when you feel like it, maybe it'll slide through eventually.

Exactly. Remember how newcomers were announced for Brawl? You wake up, eat your breakfast, get ready for school, and check the website to see what's been announced, only to see the "Challenger Approaching" banner atop the website. You create your own suspense by choosing just how slowly you scroll down, and BAM! Lucas! Who's Lucas? Who cares! He looks cool.

I would have Ashley's announcement be THAT simple if it cemented her odds as a DLC character.
This time was completely different wasn't it? We almost have to create our own hype but they're still giving big shots to help us keep the hype alive :p It's just months apart,...no biggie. just a couple months.. just a couple... :O
XD

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
The Big 3 has always been K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo. This was started pre-Smash 4 and towards its launch seeing as Mewtwo was nowhere in sight until the 50 Fact Extravaganza.

The new Big 3 would may include Geno if being 3rd party doesn't hurt hs chances in our eyes. I'd honestly say from looking at what people wanted. Ashley, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee seemed biggest..after the K. Rool reveal and the Ashley R.I.P..

I am curious to see who you all think are the next Big 3.

From here on out, I think it's going to be pretty hard to have a universal "Big 3" like we did back in the day. The Big 3 were three fan-favorite Nintendo All-Stars who were snubbed for whatever reason. However, with most Nintendo All-Stars already being in Ultimate, and with the advent of the "third-party wave", I doubt that the Smash speculation scene will ever universally decide upon three "shoo-ins".

In my opinion, the next Big 3 are Ashley, Waluigi, and (possibly) Bandanna Dee. Allow me to explain:
- Waluigi and Bandanna Dee are bonafide Nintendo All-Stars, while Ashley is just under them (similar to Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool).
- Bandanna Dee has nothing against him except priority on Sakurai's development plans. Ashley was seemingly the same way, as was Waluigi, and yet, here we are.
- All three characters have notable fan support, with Waluigi even taking over for Ridley as "the meme".

They should have support for when things go wrong. But just try again when you feel like it, maybe it'll slide through eventually.

This time was completely different wasn't it? We almost have to create our own hype but they're still giving big shots to help us keep the hype alive :p It's just months apart,...no biggie. just a couple months.. just a couple... :O
XD
I suppose I'll keep trying to get their attention, but the (seemingly) easiest solution would be to give them the verification code that they insist they're sending to me.

And yeah, I kinda miss the Brawl days. Not as steeped in hype culture, but exciting in its own right.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Well I've been thinking in making and managing the twitter account for the movement if that's all right with you all. I've got lots of free time.

I will need some brainstorming help in deciding what kind of material to post and stuff like that tho.

How should it be named? Ashley for Smash? Maybe something silly like AshleysAshtrays lol

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well I've been thinking in making and managing the twitter account for the movement if that's all right with you all. I've got lots of free time.

I will need some brainstorming help in deciding what kind of material to post and stuff like that tho.

How should it be named? Ashley for Smash? Maybe something silly like AshleysAshtrays lol
If it's all the same to everyone else, then have at it. Apparently, Twitter thinks I'm a n'er-do-well, so it's better if someone else does this.

What I intended to do was a few things:

1) Retweet Nintendo and Ashley-related tweets. If you intend to do that, I would follow Ko Takeuchi, Erica Lindbeck, Nintendo Versus, Nintendo, and various video game reviewing sites, in order to keep up with their thoughts on games like Smash Ultimate and WarioWare Gold, as well as just share whatever neat little projects Takeuchi is working on, or keep up with the goings-on of Ashley's VA.

2) Share verified Ashley fan art. For example, if someone on the Ashley Discord shares their original art, assuming you get their permission to do so, share it on the Ashley page and give them credit.

3) Tweet out funny little Ashley quotes and WarioWare fun facts to pad things out.

4) Plenty of hashtags.

I think we should all come to a consensus on the name. I was thinking something that ties back heavily to Smash Bros, since that's what's we're trying to work towards. Something like "SuperSmashleyBros" could work, on that front.

Of course, other users might have more/different ideas.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace

Thank you. I neglected to make one because I kinda lack the free time and wouldn't know the first thing about managing a twitter account. All I know is that retweeting and following a bunch of people is useful. So I'm happy that you are taking up the mantle. I'll be sure to follow and retweet your stuff.

I'd say AshleyforSmash would suffice and you could change the nickname to some silly stuff later on.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I can actually see this happening. One thing I am not sure about and never will be is Waluigi. I doubt Sakurai would add any character if he understood the level of harassment he was getting for Waluigi...

I feel like it would have only made him hard pressed to NEVER include him.. Maybe..just maybe though.. Ashley and Isaac for sure at the moment.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
One potential worry with referencing the phrase Smashly so heavily is that it's kind of limiting. I want Ashley in more games in general- bring her to Mario Kart and Mario Party even. If those types of games ever have a ballot, this twitter needs to be at the forefront of those as well.

Maybe a reference to her badge arcade portrayel as a star could be used, like AshleyRidesToStardom. That's longwinded, though, but maybe it can lead to other ideas.

Another thought is to make more of a reference to Nintendo than Smash- as I would rather Ashley be considered the signature Witch of Nintendo rather than the Witch of Smash.

To play devil's advocate, though, if we were to go too broad then we would lose the current important message that Ashley should be in Smash.

I'm not sure..

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I can actually see this happening. One thing I am not sure about and never will be is Waluigi. I doubt Sakurai would add any character if he understood the level of harassment he was getting for Waluigi...

I feel like it would have only made him hard pressed to NEVER include him.. Maybe..just maybe though.. Ashley and Isaac for sure at the moment.
I don't think Sakurai let's the harassment get to him. And I especially don't think he'll disqualify Waluigi because of a few death threats from his fans.

One potential worry with referencing the phrase Smashly so heavily is that it's kind of limiting. I want Ashley in more games in general- bring her to Mario Kart and Mario Party even. If those types of games ever have a ballot, this twitter needs to be at the forefront of those as well.

Maybe a reference to her badge arcade portrayel as a star could be used, like AshleyRidesToStardom. That's longwinded, though, but maybe it can lead to other ideas.

Another thought is to make more of a reference to Nintendo than Smash- as I would rather Ashley be considered the signature Witch of Nintendo rather than the Witch of Smash.

To play devil's advocate, though, if we were to go too broad then we would lose the current important message that Ashley should be in Smash.

I'm not sure..
It is, but Ashley for Smashley is pretty quotable and, like you said, Ashley in Smash is the main goal. Her getting into Smash would ultimately lead to her getting into other nintedo games or gaining more prominence in her own series.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I don't think Sakurai let's the harassment get to him. And I especially don't think he'll disqualify Waluigi because of a few death threats from his fans.

It is, but Ashley for Smashley is pretty quotable and, like you said, Ashley in Smash is the main goal. Her getting into Smash would ultimately lead to her getting into other nintedo games or gaining more prominence in her own series.
Well, I was going to respond to the same people with the same messages, but you beat me to it, and while using less words, so I guess I'll just let you do all the talking, haha.

Top Bottom