• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So Splatoon 2's next NA Splatfest is Fork vs. Spoon. If anyone feels like posting some Ashley spoon drawings in the plaza (maybe alongside Mewtwo)...

StormC

Smash Hero
Been busy for the past couple weeks while I'm still trying to get over the disappointment over Ashley not being playable. I mean, why did Nintendo go through all that effort to promote her, only to deregulate her to assist trophy status?
Because Sakurai is the one picking the roster, not Nintendo.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I can understand this sentiment, but the general public might not. During an Ashley thread on Reddit, someone said they considered her new red eyes a slap on the face to Ashley fans, because they went out of their way to change her and not make her a character. It got downvoted to hell and the person was accused of being whiny and what not.

I don't think it's that logical, "If you acknowledged her, why not make her playable?". It takes a lot more work to make a character playable. And I'd prefer Ashley getting an update and maybe a new voice than staying the sanebfrom Sm4sh.
With all due respect, Geno is a far more long-awaited newcomer than Ashley is and in a much more precarious predicament. There wasn't as much buzz for him during the Sm4sh speculation days because everyone (myself included) thought that his best chances were during Brawl. He's never had as much buzz as back then, even now that his chances are actually looking pretty good. If Sakurai, for whatever reason, let's say Square trouble, couldn't make Geno playable then he should've made that clear. Instead, he reminded the people that had already given up on him of him by making the Mii costume and then proclaiming that he wanted the character playable in Brawl and Sm4sh. The after-mentioned interview having taken place in early 2016, so he definitely would have known by then whether or not Geno was getting in.

Keep in mind, I'm saying this from a point of confidence that believes that Geno IS in and IS playable. Because that's what the evidence seems to suggest. But what I'm saying is, if Geno isn't playable, I would find Sakurai's actions highly questionable and like a slap in the face. Am I going to fly into a rage? Of course not. Come on. I've been in this game for too long and I'm too old for all that. xD

I just think the Geno hints would be distasteful because it gives the fans (a LONG-term fanbase that's been heavily vilified over the years considering the nature of Geno's position in the Mario series and status as a third party) false hope when there's no hope. I'm allowed to criticize Sakurai on that point if that ends up being the case. Geno isn't the type of character that's going to get multiple chances. He's a make-or-break character and that's something Sakurai should understand after all this time. So it's only natural for the Geno community to get their hopes up when Sakurai is giving us all this rope to hang ourselves with.

I've already given up on Geno before, it's Sakurai that re-ignited my hope. That's why it would be a slap in the face. If you find that "whiny" or whatever, I'm sorry you feel that way. But not every criticism is whining. I feel like I'm being very fair considering everything. I was perfectly content to let the character die with dignity. (Again, knowing I don't speak for the rest of Geno's fans.)

---

I would like to get off of Geno, though. Given that this is Ashley's thread.

Really, as long as buzz continues being made for Ashley and people's spirits don't dampen as a result of the AT disconfirmation, I feel like Ashley could easily rally some tangible results in not just Smash Bros. but outside the series as well, such as in Mario spin-offs. Maybe a good way to keep spirits high would be to shift discussion away strictly from her playability (though obviously that should remain a topic) and back on to her and her game appearances.

For instance, what do you think the "story of the day" will be for Ashley's segment in WarioWare Switch (still holding out for the leak for this to be real) and what do you think the gimmick for her microgames will be? Or do you think that they'll return to a minigame style ala Game & Wario (hopefully not...)?

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I get pretty anxious while searching Ashley's name on Reddit, but this thread is the most comforting thing I've read in a while.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._people_for_liking_characters?sort=confidence

It directly mentions Ashley fans in the OP. I'm glad people are finally taking a stand against this. We condemn the people who threaten Sakurai, but the people who go around calling Ashley fans delusional just for saying she has a chance as DLC get a free pass?

I don't even think actual hopelessly optimistic Ashley fans deserve this-- The ones who think she can be a bamboozle reveal. Yeah it's very unlikely but as long as they're not being toxic, don't treat them with toxicity.

With all due respect, Geno is a far more long-awaited newcomer than Ashley is and in a much more precarious predicament. There wasn't as much buzz for him during the Sm4sh speculation days because everyone (myself included) thought that his best chances were during Brawl. He's never had as much buzz as back then, even now that his chances are actually looking pretty good. If Sakurai, for whatever reason, let's say Square trouble, couldn't make Geno playable then he should've made that clear. Instead, he reminded the people that had already given up on him of him by making the Mii costume and then proclaiming that he wanted the character playable in Brawl and Sm4sh. The after-mentioned interview having taken place in early 2016, so he definitely would have known by then whether or not Geno was getting in.

Keep in mind, I'm saying this from a point of confidence that believes that Geno IS in and IS playable. Because that's what the evidence seems to suggest. But what I'm saying is, if Geno isn't playable, I would find Sakurai's actions highly questionable and like a slap in the face. Am I going to fly into a rage? Of course not. Come on. I've been in this game for too long and I'm too old for all that. xD

I just think the Geno hints would be distasteful because it gives the fans (a LONG-term fanbase that's been heavily vilified over the years considering the nature of Geno's position in the Mario series and status as a third party) false hope when there's no hope. I'm allowed to criticize Sakurai on that point if that ends up being the case. Geno isn't the type of character that's going to get multiple chances. He's a make-or-break character and that's something Sakurai should understand after all this time. So it's only natural for the Geno community to get their hopes up when Sakurai is giving us all this rope to hang ourselves with.

I've already given up on Geno before, it's Sakurai that re-ignited my hope. That's why it would be a slap in the face. If you find that "whiny" or whatever, I'm sorry you feel that way. But not every criticism is whining. I feel like I'm being very fair considering everything. I was perfectly content to let the character die with dignity. (Again, knowing I don't speak for the rest of Geno's fans.)

---

Really, as long as buzz continues being made for Ashley and people's spirits don't dampen as a result of the AT disconfirmation, I feel like Ashley could easily rally some tangible results in not just Smash Bros. but outside the series as well, such as in Mario spin-offs. Maybe a good way to keep spirits high would be to shift discussion away strictly from her playability (though obviously that should remain a topic) and back on to her and her game appearances.

For instance, what do you think the "story of the day" will be for Ashley's segment in WarioWare Switch (still holding out for the leak for this to be real) and what do you think the gimmick for her microgames will be? Or do you think that they'll return to a minigame style ala Game & Wario (hopefully not...)?
I wouldn't call you whiny. It's just a popular perspective that I was wondering if you were ready to respond to if the day ever came that Geno was revealed to only be returning as a mii costume.

I don't share the same perspective as you do not because of not wanting to be "whiny" but because of the belief that something is better than nothing. As you said, the analogy isn't 1 to 1, since you were given a lot of hope before and were snubbed for way longer than we have.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Ashley's magical talent is on the rise, her supposed ineptitude isn't referenced at all in Gold and she beats a demon lord so handily the battle isn't even given a proper cutscene. Her confidence is at an all-time high as proven by her boast of becoming the world's greatest witch in her minigame. If her exploits in Gold don't at least make her famous in the demon realm, I'll be surprised. I'd imagine her plot being her rising magical talent and exploits starting to attract unwanted attention, which would do double duty as a reference to her growing fandom.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It's highly unlikely she's in the base roster, but I could potentially see her as DLC. Sakurai surely knows how popular she is now, and they could always say that the assist trophy Ashley is an impostor or something to justify her inclusion as being playable while also having an assist trophy.

StormC

Smash Hero
From what I understand, there is a recent One Piece game that is in the process of adding DLC characters that were assists, so it is possible.

It's tough to know how DLC will shake out this time around, though, especially if we don't get another ballot.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Ashley's magical talent is on the rise, her supposed ineptitude isn't referenced at all in Gold and she beats a demon lord so handily the battle isn't even given a proper cutscene. Her confidence is at an all-time high as proven by her boast of becoming the world's greatest witch in her minigame. If her exploits in Gold don't at least make her famous in the demon realm, I'll be surprised. I'd imagine her plot being her rising magical talent and exploits starting to attract unwanted attention, which would do double duty as a reference to her growing fandom.
Which is good because I wasn't much of a fan of her misfiring a spell. She's definitely past that if she's summoning demons on the first try and killing dark lords. Her moveset after Gold is looking a lot better than it was before.

Eek. I'm a little worried to that kinda plot. Warioware doesn't really hold back if that monocular microgame in Gold is anything to go by. Basically, in that game you focus a telescope that reveals a young girl and it pans up showing that she's a graphic on a nerdy guy's shirt. Still, I think it sounds like a pretty funny meta joke.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
I get pretty anxious while searching Ashley's name on Reddit, but this thread is the most comforting thing I've read in a while.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._people_for_liking_characters?sort=confidence

It directly mentions Ashley fans in the OP. I'm glad people are finally taking a stand against this. We condemn the people who threaten Sakurai, but the people who go around calling Ashley fans delusional just for saying she has a chance as DLC get a free pass?

I don't even think actual hopelessly optimistic Ashley fans deserve this-- The ones who think she can be a bamboozle reveal. Yeah it's very unlikely but as long as they're not being toxic, don't treat them with toxicity.
It's great to see people on reddit finally figure out that maybe it's a bad idea to generalize an entire fanbase just because of a few people's actions.

Hopefully I can talk about Waluigi and Ashley getting in as DLC without being called delusional before long.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Which is good because I wasn't much of a fan of her misfiring a spell. She's definitely past that if she's summoning demons on the first try and killing dark lords. Her moveset after Gold is looking a lot better than it was before.

Eek. I'm a little worried to that kinda plot. Warioware doesn't really hold back if that monocular microgame in Gold is anything to go by. Basically, in that game you focus a telescope that reveals a young girl and it pans up showing that she's a graphic on a nerdy guy's shirt. Still, I think it sounds like a pretty funny meta joke.
Er, she didn't kill Hum Gree, just "defeated" him and that made him nice again somehow. The magic Ashley uses in her microgame section does seem to be light-aligned, so perhaps she isn't just limiting herself to dark arts.

Her light-reflecting microgame on level 3 also has pretty girls to be uncovered. Hm... but you know what's actually not held back? In 18-Volt's description of the Pikmin-squishing microgame, he says the Pikmin deserve it for killing many Bulborbs. Yeesh...

Well, the attention she gets is more likely to be from demons rather than pervy fans, since she still doesn't do a lot of magic in public. A better kind of attention could be from the Crygors wanting her assistance in procuring ingredients for their conconctions. Doesn't seem that different from potion-breweing if you ask me.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys... had a pretty strange dream last night about Ashley: might as well tell you all what I remember (and keep in mind, this is literally from what I remember):

I recall sitting on my bed, possibly after Ashley's deconfirmation a week and a half ago, when suddenly, I think I found Ashley's wand and by extension Red? Regardless, I ended up using it to summon her and she suddenly just appeared out of nowhere... does she even have teleportation magic canonically? And well, I don't remember if I just cried tears of joy at that or was just surprised to see her, but she just appeared and talked with me for some time, with one of the topics being about Ultimate. And well... if I do remember correctly, she told me not to give up on her and keep supporting her for Ultimate (where she was referring to DLC most likely). I think I then remember giving her a hug before she left via warping away, although I might of seen her later in other places during my dream cycle last night?

Either way, that's what happened... it was quite interesting, I'll give you that. Perhaps that was a message to keep supporting her for as long as I can regardless of the deconfirmation?

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Er, she didn't kill Hum Gree, just "defeated" him and that made him nice again somehow. The magic Ashley uses in her microgame section does seem to be light-aligned, so perhaps she isn't just limiting herself to dark arts.

Her light-reflecting microgame on level 3 also has pretty girls to be uncovered. Hm... but you know what's actually not held back? In 18-Volt's description of the Pikmin-squishing microgame, he says the Pikmin deserve it for killing many Bulborbs. Yeesh...

Well, the attention she gets is more likely to be from demons rather than pervy fans, since she still doesn't do a lot of magic in public. A better kind of attention could be from the Crygors wanting her assistance in procuring ingredients for their conconctions. Doesn't seem that different from potion-breweing if you ask me.
From what I can tell, Ashley used her magic to dramatically change Hum Gree's personality, which in some philosophies is equivalent to killing someone.

That's pretty dark coming from 18. I'll have to read some of the index entries later. I already read Ashley's and from what I gather, she seems to really like the moon. Also, that mirror would be a cool special move. It could work as a deflector and also hit people with concentrated light from a distance.

I wonder how Ashley would react if she found out how much more popular she is than her coworkers. I think that would be an interesting plotline for a stage on Switch. She's rummaging through fanmail and you passing or failing a microgame determines whether she ends up reading something nice or reading something disturbed. It would be a fitting throughline to her debut in Touched where all she wanted was friends.

Well guys... had a pretty strange dream last night about Ashley: might as well tell you all what I remember (and keep in mind, this is literally from what I remember):

I recall sitting on my bed, possibly after Ashley's deconfirmation a week and a half ago, when suddenly, I think I found Ashley's wand and by extension Red? Regardless, I ended up using it to summon her and she suddenly just appeared out of nowhere... does she even have teleportation magic canonically? And well, I don't remember if I just cried tears of joy at that or was just surprised to see her, but she just appeared and talked with me for some time, with one of the topics being about Ultimate. And well... if I do remember correctly, she told me not to give up on her and keep supporting her for Ultimate (where she was referring to DLC most likely). I think I then remember giving her a hug before she left via warping away, although I might of seen her later in other places during my dream cycle last night?

Either way, that's what happened... it was quite interesting, I'll give you that. Perhaps that was a message to keep supporting her for as long as I can regardless of the deconfirmation?
That sounds like a sweet dream, yellow. Also she does canonically warp in her Gold Epilogue. Tho I think that was her poofing in between Daimond City and the Demon Realm.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From what I can tell, Ashley used her magic to dramatically change Hum Gree's personality, which in some philosophies is equivalent to killing someone.

That's pretty dark coming from 18. I'll have to read some of the index entries later. I already read Ashley's and from what I gather, she seems to really like the moon. Also, that mirror would be a cool special move. It could work as a deflector and also hit people with concentrated light from a distance.

I wonder how Ashley would react if she found out how much more popular she is than her coworkers. I think that would be an interesting plotline for a stage on Switch. She's rummaging through fanmail and you passing or failing a microgame determines whether she ends up reading something nice or reading something disturbed. It would be a fitting throughline to her debut in Touched where all she wanted was friends.

That sounds like a sweet dream, yellow. Also she does canonically warp in her Gold Epilogue. Tho I think that was her poofing in between Daimond City and the Demon Realm.
Perhaps I should have emphasized "again" when describing Hum Gree. His A-rank bio states that he deeply wants to be defeated to "go back to who he was before all this". Ashley didn't directly wipe his personality, just destroyed whatever was influencing it.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hopefully, none of what I said from my dream sounded too crazy: it's literally just what I remember from sleeping last night. :p

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand, there is a recent One Piece game that is in the process of adding DLC characters that were assists, so it is possible.

It's tough to know how DLC will shake out this time around, though, especially if we don't get another ballot.
Well that's pretty interesting. This might make Sakurai more open to the idea of assist trophies becoming playable DLC seeing other devs are into it

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
It might be controversial, but people keep buying Skyrim. And by their nature, fighting games tend to be iterative. I can't really think of anything a Smash 6 would have that couldn't be added to Smash Ultimate as DLC (ie more characters/stages) unless they radically change the formula. That is, they would need to make the first 20 seconds of this video obsolete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L93H7YC-83o
Skyrim is a multi-platform game that is getting a sequel. And consumers got frustrated with Skyrim being ported to everything. That's why Bethesda did that self-deprecating skit at E3 where the comedian whose name escapes me plays Skyrim on his Amazon Echo and refrigerator. Also, each release of Skyrim, to my knowledge, never adds anything, the exception being a new outfit and weapon in the Switch version.

I don't want Super Smash Bros. to follow that formula.

And that's why I brought up a sequel that refines the roster. Either of these moves could be seen as controversial. You seem to be okay with the controversy surrounding completely halting Smash as a series, citing Skyrim's sales as justification. I would be okay with the controversial decision of making a sequel that sacrifices the focus on old content and adds new modes, characters, and stages in its place, because that's pretty much what every Smash game has done up to this point.

I'm only saying "it would make money" isn't Sakurai's only consideration when looking at potential DLC characters.
Sakurai actually answered the question of how characters are added to Smash in 2014. The first thing he mentions is a character popularity poll.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Sure, Sakurai is an artist, but not in the "feel inspired to paint a circle and hope someone buys it" kind of way. He is making a product that he (presumably) wants people to buy, and part of that process is adding characters that fans want. There are boundaries as to what he'll add, which he details in that article (are they unique, would they clash with the rest of the cast, would they be fun to play as, what is the status of their series, etc.), but part of that process is "what do the fans want".

Right, but if you include Fire Emblem fighters and new Pokemon as Nintendo All-Stars the field gets a lot more crowded.
This is true. But not every character from those franchises are an All-Star. For example, the only non-Smash Fire Emblem characters that might approach "All-Star" territory are a couple of Awakening/Shadow Dragon characters and maybe Lyn. As for Pokemon...yeah, they're kind of in their own category.

What if Bubbles was the second-last character revealed then ;)? Or if they did a "Mewtwo is on the way!"-type announcement for a free post-release DLC fighter.
When the game debuted with "Inkling, Ridley, 'don't expect too many new characters'", and then Part 2 is "Simon, K. Rool, a few fan-favorite clones", it sets up a pretty specific scenario where those few newcomers that are left will be of the same caliber.

Just think back to Smash 4: We got Villager (arguably Smash 4's Inkling), Mega Man (a fan-favorite), and Wii Fit Trainer (makes sense, but no one asked for it). The next character was Rosalina, a unique Mario newcomer who undoubtedly has her fans but was probably more just because she's marketable. Then Little Mac, who was probably mostly fanservice but who also had a pretty cool new game. Then Greninja, who was undoubtedly for marketing purposes. Long story short, you could tell that Smash 4's newcomers would be a variety of characters who were added for a variety of reasons pretty early on, and that trend certainly held up to the end. I would simply be frustrated if the trend that is going with Ultimate is broken just for the fun of it.

All that being said, if Sakurai wants to add Bubbles (read: a retro rep) via DLC, then I'd be down for it. I'm already expecting DLC to be "relevant" characters like Rex and Edelgard (and Ashley PLEASE), so a few dark horses would be lovely.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Perhaps I should have emphasized "again" when describing Hum Gree. His A-rank bio states that he deeply wants to be defeated to "go back to who he was before all this". Ashley didn't directly wipe his personality, just destroyed whatever was influencing it.
I was not aware of that card of his. Ashley's a straight up hero then. A far cry to the villain she was portrayed as initially.

Well that's pretty interesting. This might make Sakurai more open to the idea of assist trophies becoming playable DLC seeing other devs are into it
There's an even closer to home example for Sakurai to take from. Crogunk was a support pokemon in Pokken, and he was promoted into a fighter eventually.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was not aware of that card of his. Ashley's a straight up hero then. A far cry to the villain she was portrayed as initially.

There's an even closer to home example for Sakurai to take from. Crogunk was a support pokemon in Pokken, and he was promoted into a fighter eventually.
Maybe the reason Ashley was extra nasty in her early appearances had to do with crippling self-esteem issues. It's also when her skill was the poorest, making her feel deeply ashamed of herself. And so to avoid embarrassment she plays up her own nasty reputation to prevent others from getting close enough to witness her failures.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
As someone that's been supporting Geno for the last 12 years, this is make-or-break for Geno.

He's never had better cards than he has now. If he can't make it in with all the cards he has played for him on the table right now, he never will. And although I'm sure others will continue pushing for him if he doesn't make the cut, it's base roster or bust for me. Whether I get him or not, I'm retiring from the Smash speculation game.

So while anecdotal, take it for what you will. I would consider it a slap in the face that Sakurai reminded us of Geno with the Mii costume (when he could have let the character die if it was hopeless) but I would expect the Geno support to fade away if we get knocked down again. Or at least get a lot more quiet.

That said... I do think he'll get in. =P

That's spirit! We're not here to give up on them guys! I'm behind you both 100% !! (*__*)
Maybe the reason Ashley was extra nasty in her early appearances had to do with crippling self-esteem issues. It's also when her skill was the poorest, making her feel deeply ashamed of herself. And so to avoid embarrassment she plays up her own nasty reputation to prevent others from getting close enough to witness her failures.
That just makes me wanna cry for her ;__; Don't you ever give up on yourself again either Ashley!

I wanted to share this today:

SUPER PLUSHIE BROS. anyone??? x'D dey all sooo cute~<3 i wanna take em home wit me omochikaerii~<3

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
That's spirit! We're not here to give up on them guys! I'm behind you both 100% !! (*__*)

That just makes me wanna cry for her ;__; Don't you ever give up on yourself again either Ashley!

I wanted to share this today:

SUPER PLUSHIE BROS. anyone??? x'D dey all sooo cute~<3 i wanna take em home wit me omochikaerii~<3
Wow. Those are awesome! It's cool seeing Ashley among the Smash pantheon. Also, Ashley plush. Take note, Nintendo.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
This is something that was asked on the Mona thread: How would you feel if Kat & Ana or Mona or a different Warioware character got in as a fighter?

I told them I would ask around but I guessed that a few of us would feel robbed. I think I'd be happy, but I'd understand the sentiment of not wanting that to happen, because a Warioware character already being in could reduce Ashley's chances or popularity.

I hope if it were to happen, we can take the news with grace and still cling on to our girl.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
This is something that was asked on the Mona thread: How would you feel if Kat & Ana or Mona or a different Warioware character got in as a fighter?

I told them I would ask around but I guessed that a few of us would feel robbed. I think I'd be happy, but I'd understand the sentiment of not wanting that to happen, because a Warioware character already being in could reduce Ashley's chances or popularity.

I hope if it were to happen, we can take the news with grace and still cling on to our girl.
Considering it would be overlooking my most-wanted character - a character who has gotten a notable amount of exposure the past few years - in return for anyone else, I can't say I'd be overjoyed. I wouldn't be mad, since there are non-Ashley characters that I like, and hey - more WarioWare, but it wouldn't make any sense to me.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet

I'd be happy with another WarioWare rep in general. Ashley's my favorite character of the bunch but Jimmy T would be hilarious. Kat and Ana sound fun as well.

I mostly just want more WarioWare in Smash so that people can stop accusing it as being too niche for more representation.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I’d be stoked. Any new character is a good thing in my book. Ashley’ll have her chance someday, she’s kind of in a class of her own.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hopefully, none of what I said from my dream sounded too crazy: it's literally just what I remember from sleeping last night. :p
I don't think anyone could surprise me by telling me a weird dream they've had. I'm completely desensitized to the dreams people claim to be weird, haha. Y'all would think I was a lunatic if I told you some of the more off-the-wall dreams I've had, haha.

But yeah, I hope that your dream is some sort of Smash-related omen. I'm still banking on DLC that pertains to newer games and younger audiences (and maybe a couple of left-fielders here and there), so Ashley still has a shot. I'm sure we'll get this game's version of the 50-Fact Extravaganza in October or November to explain that mysterious mode on the menu, share the last few characters, and hopefully give us an idea of what DLC is going to look like.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Even though Ashley is an assist, I hope they still try to bump her representation in Ultimate. I'm doubtful that they'll add an Ashley's library stage or a Daimond City stage now, but I'm hoping that we can still get an english version of Ashley's Song V2 and possibly a remix of her Revolution theme. Preferably this one. It's very big band and jazzy like her original theme and I like Ashley being asssociated with that kind of music.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Wow. Those are awesome! It's cool seeing Ashley among the Smash pantheon. Also, Ashley plush. Take note, Nintendo.
It's one of the better Ashley plushies I've seen on the interwebs, that's why I wanted to share it Embarrass
And it's a great feeling seeing Ashley represented along with the rest of the Smash cast that's playable, she's really cemented her way into peoples hearts over the years~<3

I think've let my opinion of this be known over there already, but my opinions on things seem to change by the week. Like, a week ago I was neutral about Issac making it into Smash as a playable fighter but now I'm super excited about it!
Anyways onto another WarioWare character making it in as playable over Ashley. I think it's a dumb move. Smash has been shown to revive once 'dead' characters and franchises in the eyes of people before, it has this power to rise characters up! And I just think it'd be a wasted opportunity to try and hide Ashley behind the curtains of another WW character only to meet her current status instead, and at such a critical time too, when they can just continue to ride on her hype train even further now! Like Zabadoo said, we need those Ashley plushies Nintendo! And I'm sure Nintendo is aware of all this, which is why I believe along with others of how and why she was shoehorned into the direct at the last second- as to not let the ever growing fanbase of Ashley down at a much later date, they were trying to avoid another Waluigi type backlash I'm sure. So I don't think Nintendo would do this...

However, with all that being said, any WarioWare character added as playable would still appease me, personally. I would definitely play as Mona/Kat & Ana/9-volt/Penny, etc. And I still wouldn't ever give up on Ashley either, she would still remain as my favorite and I would still push her for DLC and Smash 6. But it's a conflicting thing... I would also still feel kind of burned over all of it. I would feel like Nintendo once again, failed to understand or predict the desires of it's hardcore fans.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For the first time I had an Ashley dream >_<. She was revealed for Mario Kart in a similar fashion to how smash reveals are. It was kinda weird. But I was excited nonetheless, which in turn woke me up.

Robbed isn't the word I'd use. I'd just find the decision strange. Like adding Balrog to a Capcom crossover fighter before Chun-li.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

I know this is probably heresy to say on this thread but Mona in some ways actually deserves the honor of being the second WarioWare rep even more than Ashley. She was always the deuteragonist/female lead of the WarioWare series and her peppy but off-kilter style fits with WarioWare's tone better than Ashley (definitely still on the Ashley train though). I'd be more than happy if she got in. I'd like to play as Kat & Ana just for the lulzy factor of killing people with ninja kindergartners but I would think it a bit strange if they got in over the more popular Ashley.

EDIT: Playing as 9-Volt and using old school Nintendo stuff to kick some butt like Duck Hunt would be great too!

Oh that is awesome! How have I never seen the Ashley Tharja worshiping pic before!? I guess Tharja is like her senpai! (.^ ^.)
There's actually another cute and funny art I found of Tharja and Ashley.

When I first saw it I thought "This is adorable but why did the artist add stupid looking shoulder pads on Tharja?" It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that it was just Ashley's hair, lol.

Sauce: https://www.deviantart.com/jadenkaiba/art/FE-Awakening-Tharja-s-New-Daughter-652535857

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So the Shantae supporters are starting to get into a tizzy over various occurences (or lack of them in the case of guest appearances in fighting games), most notably twitter silence from WayForward regarding tweets with Shantae and Smash. Sound familiar?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So the Shantae supporters are starting to get into a tizzy over various occurences (or lack of them in the case of guest appearances in fighting games), most notably twitter silence from WayForward regarding tweets with Shantae and Smash. Sound familiar?
Hey, don't look at me! I think all of the "evidence" gathered could just as easily be attributed to an NDA involving an AT rather than playable status. xD

Though her lack of appearances in popular inidie fighting games (despite being a resoundingly loud suggestion by the fanbase) and the fact that we now have concrete evidence that Sakurai is using the ballot for his choices and Shantae has placed high on multiple, various polls such as this one with over 45,000 respondents... is interesting.

Though I'm obviously very wary. I'll be content with an AT, though.~

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
For the first time I had an Ashley dream >_<. She was revealed for Mario Kart in a similar fashion to how smash reveals are. It was kinda weird. But I was excited nonetheless, which in turn woke me up.

Robbed isn't the word I'd use. I'd just find the decision strange. Like adding Balrog to a Capcom crossover fighter before Chun-li.
I'd love to see her in Mario Kart with some kind of pumpkin themed kart- OR BETTER YET, she could transform Red into her kart! Think about it, he's already her ride when it comes to her broomstick, so I'd like to see a Red themed kart even better~ And when you do those little flips for extra speed boosts Mario kart seems to be all about now, her Red kart would transform back into Red while they do poses together!

Yeah that's how'd I think most people would feel, you put it better words than me. I was rambling the other day a lot..
Like imagine if in Smash 4, Little Mac still remained an Assist Trophy while Doc Louis became playable instead. that would be a HUGE WTF moment for everyone, I'd think it'd be like that if any other character (besides maybe Mona) got in over Ashley!
I know this is probably heresy to say on this thread but Mona in some ways actually deserves the honor of being the second WarioWare rep even more than Ashley. She was always the deuteragonist/female lead of the WarioWare series and her peppy but off-kilter style fits with WarioWare's tone better than Ashley (definitely still on the Ashley train though). I'd be more than happy if she got in. I'd like to play as Kat & Ana just for the lulzy factor of killing people with ninja kindergartners but I would think it a bit strange if they got in over the more popular Ashley.

EDIT: Playing as 9-Volt and using old school Nintendo stuff to kick some butt like Duck Hunt would be great too!

There's actually another cute and funny art I found of Tharja and Ashley.

When I first saw it I thought "This is adorable but why did the artist add stupid looking shoulder pads on Tharja?" It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that it was just Ashley's hair, lol.

Sauce: https://www.deviantart.com/jadenkaiba/art/FE-Awakening-Tharja-s-New-Daughter-652535857
Not going to dismiss Mona's status in WarioWare or as a deserving Rep for the series, but I've got a ton of moveset ideas that has me believing Ashley would still be a better fit to represent WW than her. I'd play as the two adorables Kat & Ana too and I'd say Ashley would be able to pull off the the old school Nintendo references like 9-volt as well with her ability to transform Red into all manner of a variety of things~

YEP that's the other Tharja pic with Ashley I've seen before! I was just really surprised with your other one becuz I had no idea there were two pics of Ashley and Tharja together! :laugh:

There's also this:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
It's like looking into a mirror. Hopefully they don't meet the same fate as us.

I'd love to see her in Mario Kart with some kind of pumpkin themed kart- OR BETTER YET, she could transform Red into her kart! Think about it, he's already her ride when it comes to her broomstick, so I'd like to see a Red themed kart even better~ And when you do those little flips for extra speed boosts Mario kart seems to be all about now, her Red kart would transform back into Red while they do poses together!

Yeah that's how'd I think most people would feel, you put it better words than me. I was rambling the other day a lot..
Like imagine if in Smash 4, Little Mac still remained an Assist Trophy while Doc Louis became playable instead. that would be a HUGE WTF moment for everyone, I'd think it'd be like that if any other character (besides maybe Mona) got in over Ashley!

Not going to dismiss Mona's status in WarioWare or as a deserving Rep for the series, but I've got a ton of moveset ideas that has me believing Ashley would still be a better fit to represent WW than her. I'd play as the two adorables Kat & Ana too and I'd say Ashley would be able to pull off the the old school Nintendo references like 9-volt as well with her ability to transform Red into all manner of a variety of things~

YEP that's the other Tharja pic with Ashley I've seen before! I was just really surprised with your other one becuz I had no idea there were two pics of Ashley and Tharja together! :laugh:

There's also this:
Ashley was just so flexible as a fighter. The only silver lining to this is that Gold added more to her kit. Like summoning. I don't know if it would appease Warioware fans if she she just summoned various characters from the game tho. I would have to ask the other threads later.

I love these art pieces but Ashley feels so out of character. Not Bayo tho. Her response to Ashley would probably be, "Of course you are, darling".

This one recent one paints Ashley as rather nasty but it's pretty accurate. Good to see her acknowledged more in fanart btw.

Whatever.jpg

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's some good stuff going for Shantae. But nothing says we won't meet the same fate. We just gotta keep our heads up and enjoy what we have. And maybe cry a little inside if it doesn't work out, I mean, we're only human.

Nice comics.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Well guys, it took me some days but I finally made my Ashley twitter account!!

https://twitter.com/AshleyForSmash

If you click on it you will realize that it's empty right now... but I will think up what avatar/banner to use and figure out what content to get, make, and share. I think I will be kinda busy this week but by the weekend I expect to have things more figured out lol. In the meantime you could follow it and/or give ideas about what to share.

This is exciting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Well, this is the last time I join the speculation scene. After it was confirmed that Sakurai is using the ballot + we get a new pokemon every time, I am becoming incredibly optimistic about a certain reptile’s chances! Come on Sakurai, don’t let me down this time!

Top Bottom