• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Hungry Wolf - Terry Bogard Social Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yo peeps! Still excited about Terry!

But I’m losing my mind over something.
I’m not sure if it was designed poorly, or I’m getting misguided vibes here but...

Why would they put the 5th character to be revealed alongside Terry, and both have the (c) SNK disclaimer at the bottom? Instead of separating the 5th character to its own blank space.

... you don’t think we’re getting another SNK character for #5 do you? Or... a tag Team?
In a couple of Discords I joked about how Terry's trailer not showing Rock missing the invite meant he's in.

Fighter no. 74e anyone?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
In a couple of Discords I joked about how Terry's trailer not showing Rock missing the invite meant he's in.

Fighter no. 74e anyone?
Rock only shares the Rising Tackle though, even as an echo it'd be even more a stretch than Ken being an "Echo"

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why do people want Female Terry? F-Terry was created to have Terry's fighting style in the "SNK Heroines tag team frenzy". If you want the true "female" Terry, check out Alice.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

I’m not sure if it was designed poorly, or I’m getting misguided vibes here but...

Why would they put the 5th character to be revealed alongside Terry, and both have the (c) SNK disclaimer at the bottom? Instead of separating the 5th character to its own blank space.

... you don’t think we’re getting another SNK character for #5 do you? Or... a tag Team?
I don `t believe

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think fighter 5 is SNK as well, but it is interesting how despite being fairly easy to tone down (just give her a normal gi top and some bike shorts underneath) Mai wasn't in the trailer. The idea of her or Rock Howard being able to jump in for a quick assist attack is pretty exciting.

Man, I can't stop watching the trailer. Shoutouts to the few reaction videos of people I saw genuinely excited for him.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Personally I don’t want any references to SNK Heroines. But if it happens it happens.

I’d rather see Garou Terry as an alt.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
With Rising Tackle very likely to be his Up B, and his most likely sharing the command inputs gimmick that Ryu and Ken have, am I the only one here who thinks that Terry might be the first Smash Character to have Charge Inputs? I mean, considering the Input used in KoF for the move, I don't think it would be that difficult to implement and use in battle.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One point of interest; if this SG poll from 2015's any indication, I haven't seen ANY SNK love by the vocal part of the Smash fanbase, which otherwise backs every noteworthy IP/company under the sun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx0_ETF2mcYwYmk0YWFRbE1vMjg

Just how big is the silent majority anyway?

I don't think fighter 5 is SNK as well, but it is interesting how despite being fairly easy to tone down (just give her a normal gi top and some bike shorts underneath) Mai wasn't in the trailer. The idea of her or Rock Howard being able to jump in for a quick assist attack is pretty exciting.

Man, I can't stop watching the trailer. Shoutouts to the few reaction videos of people I saw genuinely excited for him.
If Mai had to show up as playable, it would have to be in a later DLC batch. In the meantime, we'll have to wait and see if she's in the spirit board...

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
One point of interest; if this SG poll from 2015's any indication, I haven't seen ANY SNK love by the vocal part of the Smash fanbase, which otherwise backs every noteworthy IP/company under the sun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx0_ETF2mcYwYmk0YWFRbE1vMjg

Just how big is the silent majority anyway?
SNK is big in places like South America and China. Of the nearly 1600 people that answered that first poll, only about 50 were from South America and about 30 were from Asia (meaning even less were probably from China). The people who answered this poll also mainly frequent sites like Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFAQs, etc. where they may be more inclined to support more popular characters on said sites like Geno, Isaac, etc.

Should also note that this poll was done in 2015, when SNK was mainly in the pachinko business up until recently when they started making games again like KoF XIV and Samurai Shodown. In a May 2019 SG poll, Terry came in 100th place for most wanted characters which is pretty impressive for a character who didn't get talked a lot in speculation.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey so uhhhhh Terry adjusts his hat so Garo alt is out of the question
Joker tightens his glove even if he's wearing the Shujin academy uniform and Pokemon Trainer has some different animations if you're using the female version. I wouldn't count the Garou alt out just yet.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Polls like those are also only representative of a very specific group of people. Most of the hype for Terry definitely comes from outside the Smash community.

I don't have much of an attachment to Terry but his inclusion is my favourite out of any Ultimate character. Seeing SNK get such love and attention to detail after being stuck on pachinko hell for so long makes me really happy, and more people will be exposed to their rich library and history.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
SNK is big in places like South America and China. Of the nearly 1600 people that answered that first poll, only about 50 were from South America and about 30 were from Asia (meaning even less were probably from China). The people who answered this poll also mainly frequent sites like Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFAQs, etc. where they may be more inclined to support more popular characters on said sites like Geno, Isaac, etc.

Should also note that this poll was done in 2015, when SNK was mainly in the pachinko business up until recently when they started making games again like KoF XIV and Samurai Shodown. In a May 2019 SG poll, Terry came in 100th place for most wanted characters which is pretty impressive for a character who didn't get talked a lot in speculation.
Sure are a metric ton of characters that only got one vote, even Pennybags from Monopoly, of all things.

But :ultkirby:? Did the person who voted for him even see Ultimate?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I actually picked up Garou.

This game is legitimately fun.

Why do people want Female Terry? F-Terry was created to have Terry's fighting style in the "SNK Heroines tag team frenzy". If you want the true "female" Terry, check out Alice.
There is a simple explanation.

Terry makes for a good best girl for some reason.

Last edited:

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902

I've checked the last Fighter Pass news post that has an image of Banjo with 2 "?" character place-overs and Micosoft and Rare's copyright was below him so it doesn't mean anything.
20190907_043502.jpg

Would be pretty funny if that came true and we do get a SNK Tag Team (especially if it's a character who appeared in Terry's trailer, but is oddly absent of any form of cameo in Terry's DLC pack). But at this point, a 2nd rep would most likely end up as a Season 2 character, if we're lucky to get another one at all.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
With Rising Tackle very likely to be his Up B, and his most likely sharing the command inputs gimmick that Ryu and Ken have, am I the only one here who thinks that Terry might be the first Smash Character to have Charge Inputs? I mean, considering the Input used in KoF for the move, I don't think it would be that difficult to implement and use in battle.
I'd be iffy with Rising Tackle's charge really working considering that you would likely want to use the enhanced version in the air, and holding down would cause a fast fall which could kill him before you could correct it. It's been a dragon punch motion before, so it could fit that command too.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Drew up how fem terry can work and shes not too small. I didnt really alter her proportions other than make her out fit slightly more PG
I mostly just wanna put to rest that she cant work. Im shocked by how well she works with the model other than her shoulders. That doesnt have to match tho since the hurtbox isnt tied to the model and her shoulders can be in the same spot for the animations to work, it just isnt as bulky there

terryconcept2.png

femterrysizecompare.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as 2nd SNK characters go, I'd say Metal Slug representation would be one of the likeliest outcomes. If there will be a team setup, I could see the Psycho Soldiers happen, though.

By the way, I've been curious about something. Has anyone posted any reaction vids from the BR community/fanbase?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As far as 2nd SNK characters go, I'd say Metal Slug representation would be one of the likeliest outcomes. If there will be a team setup, I could see the Psycho Soldiers happen, though.

By the way, I've been curious about something. Has anyone posted any reaction vids from the BR community/fanbase?
I'll try searching for some when I have the time, but my best bets for BR KoF reactions are KoF da Depressão and Velberan.

Some reactions take a bit longer to get posted to Youtube, so that would be my best bet as to why I haven't seen any yet.

EDIT: Just realized something: what if, instead of his Garou alt, they give Terry the KoF XIV red jacket? He has the cap in that one and then we'd have both a Fatal Fury and a KoF design, because of his stage.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just realized something after playing a bit of King of Fighters ‘98:

What if Terry’s Classic Mode Battles were all Squad Strike Battles? I mean, the 3v3 part of Squad Strike seems fairly similar to KoF, so that could work. Like, for example, Battle #1 could start with an Orange Ryu representing Ryo, then after you defeat him you go straight to a Blue Snake representing Robert Garcia and after you defeat him, you fight your last opponent, a White Lucina to represent Yuri Sakazaki. After defeating her, you win the battle and move on to the next battle, Fighters representing Chizuru Kagura (Palutena), Mai Shiranui (Bayonetta) and King (Zero Suit Samus) in the same format.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just realized something after playing a bit of King of Fighters ‘98:

What if Terry’s Classic Mode Battles were all Squad Strike Battles? I mean, the 3v3 part of Squad Strike seems fairly similar to KoF, so that could work. Like, for example, Battle #1 could start with an Orange Ryu representing Ryo, then after you defeat him you go straight to a Blue Snake representing Robert Garcia and after you defeat him, you fight your last opponent, a White Lucina to represent Yuri Sakazaki. After defeating her, you win the battle and move on to the next battle, Fighters representing Chizuru Kagura (Palutena), Mai Shiranui (Bayonetta) and King (Zero Suit Samus) in the same format.
Considering how amazing Ryu's classic mode was, I think this would be great! I definitely hope to see it. Get some Mii Gunners and a blue Incineroar for the Ikari Warriors!
Since we know that Terry is coming out in Novemeber, what date do you predict he will be released?
The 14th because that's my birthday.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Since we know that Terry is coming out in Novemeber, what date do you predict he will be released?
Most of the fighters have been released on a Wednesday, with the exception of Hero, who was released on Monday. This narrows it down to the 6th, the 13th, the 20th or the 27th. Though if I had to guess, I’d say Terry could release on the 13th, as while the 6th is pretty early into the month like Banjo, I have a feeling that Terry would be up there with the likes of the Street Fighter characters in terms of technicality. Probably not the 22nd either, because that would most likely steal attention from Doom Eternal, a game supposed to release on the Switch that same week. The 27th is super close to December, being late into the month like Hero was in July. If they want to satisfy the fans while at the same time having a good amount of work put into Terry, I’d definitely say the 13th.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'll try searching for some when I have the time, but my best bets for BR KoF reactions are KoF da Depressão and Velberan.

Some reactions take a bit longer to get posted to Youtube, so that would be my best bet as to why I haven't seen any yet.

EDIT: Just realized something: what if, instead of his Garou alt, they give Terry the KoF XIV red jacket? He has the cap in that one and then we'd have both a Fatal Fury and a KoF design, because of his stage.
Actually found a couple Brazilian reactions on Youtube. The first seemed rather measured if still a bit hyped - the second went all out.

I've also found quite a few Chinese reactions. Not as many views on the Chinese mirrors though. I presume that's because Chinese Smash has not been announced yet. However, those who watched the Terry reveal seemed to be overwhelmingly positive. The highlight according to them was Geese* - Nakoruru and Iori's segments also got attention.

*(Incidentally, there's a compilation of Geese falling off towers over the years. Almost 6 million views on that one).

EDIT: Found Terry's NYCC footage after the fact. The Chinese viewcount for Terry's reveal and the Direct overall could actually be much more than the Brazilian numbers (around 38 000 AFAIK). This is because I found a Weibo (Chinese twitter) account that only follows the Nintendo Switch - the account has about 1 million followes, The mirror there doesn't show a viewcount, but there was significant interest around the reveal. The other mirrors I've found are on a Chinese video site (there were more than 30 000 viewers on just that site).

Not bad when the Switch and Smash is not even officially released in China. The only options until they release it are grey market imports from Hong Kong, America or Japan. The Sans reveal got 2 million, but that's likely because the Megalovania remix drew an incredible amount of attention towards him.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Man, there really are two kinds of people.

It's one thing to say "eh, oh well, this character doesn't appeal to me that much, hopefully I like the next one more," rather than saying... that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So I finally bit the bullet and picked up KOF14 after playing every one of the classics and Fatal Fury over the last few days. Wow! What a great game! I remember it getting some flack before it was released but man, they must've ironed out the issues because I'm having a great time. I just wish my girl Whip wasn't DLC, since I don't have a lot of money...yet, but I just might be picking up both packs. I'm surprised that the 3D is working so well, though considering how much I loved Maximum Impact maybe I shouldn't be.

It's one thing to say "eh, oh well, this character doesn't appeal to me that much, hopefully I like the next one more," rather than saying... that.
It's genuinely so rude. This is a time for fun and excitement!

It's also funny how hypocritical some Smash fans can be... Not to generalize but it's funny how many of us want a retro character and then we get one who helped shape gaming and was on Nintendo in the SNES days....but because Terry is the "wrong" retro there's vitriol like this.

I know I'm biased because I love Terry and SNK but...it's disappointing.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's also funny how hypocritical some Smash fans can be... Not to generalize but it's funny how many of us want a retro character and then we get one who helped shape gaming and was on Nintendo in the SNES days....but because Terry is the "wrong" retro there's vitriol like this.
It's funny when you consider we have had three "retro" characters that originate from the fourth generation of video games, all on different consoles.

:ultkrool: SNES
:ultrichter: TurboGrafx-16
Neo-Geo

All we're missing is a new Genesis character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's funny when you consider we have had three "retro" characters that originate from the fourth generation of video games, all on different consoles.

Neo-Geo

Well...Arle Nadja was popular in the ballot on the Japanese side and is from that generation too...plus Puyo Puyo 2 is available on SNES Online now...

Perhaps she will complete the lineup!

(Or Dr. Robotnik...?)

StormC

Smash Hero
Well...Arle Nadja was popular in the ballot on the Japanese side and is from that generation too...plus Puyo Puyo 2 is available on SNES Online now...

Perhaps she will complete the lineup!

(Or Dr. Robotnik...?)
As a Lip supporter, I would happily take Arle.

Eggman would give me a heart attack. I couldn't take the hype.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At first I was thinking "Oh hey, they finally added a Terry emoticon", but I see you had to cheat. Come on, we got one for the Sans Mii Gunner so why not Terry?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

You and me both! He may not be in my sig anymore, but he'll always be one of my most-wanted villains.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

You and me both! He may not be in my sig anymore, but he'll always be one of my most-wanted villains.
He's in my "totally impossible" dream picks as well, though I wish his custom icon would still work. It helps that he hasn't been Mii costumed like Tails.

Neo-Geo

There is another...

The realisation dawned on me this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I gotta agree that's a bruh moment. I may not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to SNK or Fatal Fury and I didn't even want an SNK rep but even with a simple google search you can see that SNK has been around since the 70's and that they were on-par with Capcom when Arcades were big. That should and did get a rep whom just so happens to be Terry. And honestly? Good on them. I'm glad all you SNK fans got something.

D

Deleted member

I'm telling you guys, this guy's salt is more than the total salt in the Pacific Ocean.

Top Bottom