• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Could be premature, but I don't think we're getting Snom, Alcremie, Yamper, or Wooloo. On the fence with Corviknight, but I'm leaning toward no as well.

The other five, Dragapult, Toxtricity, Cinderace, Zacian, and Inteleon, are all Pokemon who I think are worth serious consideration.
i would hope they would consider corviknight ive barley seen a pokemon team without one, game freak do seem to reconize wooloo's popularity so i imagine some one suggest him to sakurai, whether sakurai would take that seriously is another matter, if nothing else he'll replace gogoat in smash 6 id think

It's many people saying it looks too much like other rock types like Golem, Aggron & Rhyperior, but bland. Or that the eyes look goofy, and that they should've kept Rolycoly's eyes. And people were expecting a locomotive as a final evolution.

And judging by recent character additions, they seem to be avoiding small characters (not including veterans like Pichu & Squirtle) as often as possible. And given that many of the favorite pokemon are the ones that look cool or tough, they seem to gravitate towards them while avoiding the cute ones who, more often than not, happen to be small.
They could've easily picked Rowlet as a character given it's popularity, but as far as we know the 2 candidates were Decidueye & Incineroar.
i think that ties into they seem to be going for the ones that are easy to included

To me, it would be really refreshing to have a small, cute Pokémon get in again. One of the reasons I was rooting for Mimikyu for Ultimate (and turns out it still is the most popular Alola mon haha). I guess it’s just easier to go with the ”cool” final stages when choosing a Pokémon, especially when they’re chosen before the Gen is fully out and actual popularity is yet to be determined. If waited a bit longer, maybe Rowlet would’ve been a good candidate as well - a round, plush, flying ball of grass could’ve been quite fun actually.

Not sure if Galar has a standout cutesy Pokémon though, except for the starters (Scorbunny the most). Wooloo, Snom maybe too, sure, but how they would be translated into Smash, I’m not sure.

Also, Coalossal and its evolutionary line is like my new favorite Rock-type so here’s at least one new fan haha!
he has two, he was very nearly on my team

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Honestly, there's very few pokemon that have been taken seriously. Like, ones that have had massive support all around. This is what I'm getting from it
1. Legendaries (Zacian and Zamazenta)
2. Galar Final Starter Evos
3. The random popular pokemon (Dragapult, Toxtricity, Obstagoon, Sirfetch'd, Urshifu, Corviknight etc.)
4. The completely random pokemon not likely to get in. (I've seem some wierd character ideas around.)
This in itself is a fairly large amount, but not many of these act as good reps. They would be fun yes, and unique, but they wouldnt do a good job covering their games, as not many had a major role, nor have any appeared in major movies around the time. This is basically the mindset of people who think that pokemon aren't good at repping their games, but we'll see.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Small Pokemon are fine, and I wouldn't mind seeing one get in Smash. I just don't know if Galar has any that Sakurai would give serious consideration to. Wooloo's shtick is rolling around, which we already have through Jigglypuff. Yamper plays fetch. Snom would be...a massive accomplishment for Sakurai of he could somehow make that work. The starters are the only ones I could see working, but even then, why choose the starters when their evolved forms offer so much more?

I guess there's Morpeko too, and its ability to change forms would be unique. Not sure if Sakurai wouldnchoose it over several others though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
why choose the starters when their evolved forms offer so much more?
In the case of Scorbunny, not really. Cinderace does have signature moves, but they're soccer-themed, which starts from the beginning in this line.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've been really enjoying the anime so far. Maybe it's a tad slow and unfocused at times, but i've really liked how expressive in facial & bodily movements the pokemon have been.
These specific scenes are my favs so far:

1583126666636.png
1583126752443.png

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
from what i know theyve gone in a different direction with catching pokemon which strikes me as odd
Haha funny how a core aspect of Pokémon (catching them) is odd, but I get you, it hasn’t been done this much in the anime. Go has a goal of filling the PokéDex and catching Mew, and he has caught a Pokémon or more in, like, every episode. The start has been a bit slow but hopefully it’ll pick up the pace a bit, especially with Ash having a goal now as well after battling Leon. I really enjoyed Sun/Moon anime and so far this season has been enjoyable as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Haha funny how a core aspect of Pokémon (catching them) is odd, but I get you, it hasn’t been done this much in the anime. Go has a goal of filling the PokéDex and catching Mew, and he has caught a Pokémon or more in, like, every episode. The start has been a bit slow but hopefully it’ll pick up the pace a bit, especially with Ash having a goal now as well after battling Leon. I really enjoyed Sun/Moon anime and so far this season has been enjoyable as well.
its just seems a shame that grooky and sobble are left out, though i look forward to see ash's dragonite

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Finally done with the colors. I really couldn't think of what to do with the fifth alt but i'm happy with them overall. Not a pro, but it gets the idea across.
Let's see if you can spot the theme.

1_Colors_SW_50.png

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don’t know if I ever properly did this, but whatever.

All I want is to see the 8th generation of my favorite gaming series of all time to be represented in smash. Of course I have my favorites, but I’m really not picky in this instance. Put in Sizzlipede, I don’t care!

So by that logic, I support Zacian and/or Zamazenta. So go ahead and toss me on that list.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Zacian/Zamazenta are my fav pokemon reps to get in aside from Mystery Dungeon Grovyle, but given the addition of the Galar spirits, I think base-game Sw/Sh is getting passed over for Fighter Pass 2. It's disappointing given a quadrapedal swordfighter is a heretofore unseen bodyplan/style in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll have to add the movesets Delzethin and I made to the first post. Been meaning to do that for a while now.

Zacian/Zamazenta are my fav pokemon reps to get in aside from Mystery Dungeon Grovyle, but given the addition of the Galar spirits, I think base-game Sw/Sh is getting passed over for Fighter Pass 2. It's disappointing given a quadrapedal swordfighter is a heretofore unseen bodyplan/style in Smash.
We'll see. Personally, I don't think there's any distinction between base game and DLC SwSh. I can't imagine them going through the trouble of adding more SwSh content to Smash but limiting themselves to adding stuff only from the DLC because of four Spirits. That would mean no remix of the Wild Battle theme and a lot of other notable tracks from the base game; that alone gives me reason to doubt.

Just seems restrictive without a good excuse.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We'll see. Personally, I don't think there's any distinction between base game and DLC SwSh. I can't imagine them going through the trouble of adding more SwSh content to Smash but limiting themselves to adding stuff only from the DLC because of four Spirits. That would mean no remix of the Wild Battle theme and a lot of other notable tracks from the base game; that alone gives me reason to doubt.

Just seems restrictive without a good excuse.
Agreed, I don't see them making a hard divide between the base games and expansions like that. Especially since there's a pretty plausible chance the spirit event was planned out before deciding on a potential Gen 8 newcomer. Remember how the base game had zero content from USUM despite that pair of games being more relevant than SuMo by Ultimate's release?

Especially considering we know they've used placeholder spots for Pokémon newcomers at least twice in the past. We could very well see a situation where, say, they decided back in the fall or summer that they wanted Challenger Pack 8 to be a SwSh character but didn't want to commit to one until right around now.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
First post has been updated. Added a new section for movesets and some new sprites at the list of supporters.

I hope we can at least get one moveset for Zamazenta. It often gets neglected, but this is its support thread too. Gotta make sure we show some love to both doggos.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
First post has been updated. Added a new section for movesets and some new sprites at the list of supporters.

I hope we can at least get one moveset for Zamazenta. It often gets neglected, but this is its support thread too. Gotta make sure we show some love to both doggos.
I'll try working on movesets for both, stating as I have nothing to do. :ohwell: Anyways, after Alm and Cinderace, I'll get to work on them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another notable episode of the anime aired today.

20200308_135714.jpg

I'm glad to see Ash capturing some strong Pokemon, but I'd be lying if I said I was a little disappointed by the lack of Galar Pokemon. We're 16 episodes in and we haven't seen any indication of Sobble or Grookey being a recurring Pokemon.

Plus, if Ash ends up with the typical full team of six, then half of it is from Kanto.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Another notable episode of the anime aired today.

I'm glad to see Ash capturing some strong Pokemon, but I'd be lying if I said I was a little disappointed by the lack of Galar Pokemon. We're 16 episodes in and we haven't seen any indication of Sobble or Grookey being a recurring Pokemon.

Plus, if Ash ends up with the typical full team of six, then half of it is from Kanto.
to be fair ash has plenty of strong pokemon. it does seem odd that theyre focusing on gen 1 pokemon for ash new pokemon i mean if he doesnt get any gen 8 pokemon this gen the hes unlikely to ever

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
to be fair ash has plenty of strong pokemon. it does seem odd that theyre focusing on gen 1 pokemon for ash new pokemon i mean if he doesnt get any gen 8 pokemon this gen the hes unlikely to ever
There's rumors going on about ash potentially getting a Lucario, specifically merch of Riolu poping up in a japanese plush lineup for the anime. To me it seems they're making up for not giving Ash some of the more popular pokemon, especially back in early gens (given that this series is very different as it doesn't focus on the most recent generation exclusively). Lucario, Dragonite, Gengar (and to a lesser extent Mr. Mime as his first psychic type) being some of the more popular pokemon given to him in many fanfictions as what many people wanted out of Ash.

Others i've seen are: Flygon (for ridding & commanding one in the Jirachi movie), Garchomp (after X&Y & especially Sun & Moon teasing us), Luxray, Espeon (as his first psychic type and an antithesis to Gary's Umbreon), & Tyranitar (the Larvitar he raised back in season 5). And i honestly see many of these as likely to happen.
They'll probably give most of the Galar pokemon to Go.

Overall, i'm really starting to feel that they're preparing to give Ash a final hurrah before fully passing the protagonist role to Go. Giving him the champion title, giving him pokemon people wanted him to get for years; it's all pointing into that direction.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Poyo Sword and Poyo Shield

698090a0dd65661ce2e9d49522723363.jpg

There's rumors going on about ash potentially getting a Lucario, specifically merch of Riolu poping up in a japanese plush lineup for the anime. To me it seems they're making up for not giving Ash some of the more popular pokemon, especially back in early gens (given that this series is very different as it doesn't focus on the most recent generation exclusively). Lucario, Dragonite, Gengar (and to a lesser extent Mr. Mime as his first psychic type) being some of the more popular pokemon given to him in many fanfictions as what many people wanted out of Ash.

Others i've seen are: Flygon (for ridding & commanding one in the Jirachi movie), Garchomp (after X&Y & especially Sun & Moon teasing us), Luxray, Espeon (as his first psychic type and an antithesis to Gary's Umbreon), & Tyranitar (the Larvitar he raised back in season 5). And i honestly see many of these as likely to happen.

Overall, i'm really starting to feel that they're preparing to give Ash a final hurrah before fully passing the protagonist role to Go. Giving him the champion title, giving him pokemon people wanted him to get for years; it's all pointing into that direction.
The merch isn't always the best indicator of future events. A lot of people thought Iris' Axew would evolve because Haxorus randomly got some new merch. That never panned out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i dunno feels a little like a stretch, i could see why people think he would get pokemon from the pokemon of the year vote but hes no starnger to catching popular pokemon, some seem to think the anime adds to a pokemon's popularity. garchomp is always as possibility as hes had gible for about 4 gens now.

i really dont see them retiring ash

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
i dunno feels a little like a stretch, i could see why people think he would get pokemon from the pokemon of the year vote but hes no stranger to catching popular pokemon, some seem to think the anime adds to a pokemon's popularity. garchomp is always a possibility as hes had gible for about 4 gens now.

i really dont see them retiring ash
But what would they do given that now that he's the champion & is participating in the world championships to take on Leon, someone who he would call a pokemon master?
It'd feel off if they just go back to the traditional formula of the past after 2 significanty different series progressing Ash as a character. And another reset would piss off many fans and most likely make them quit altogether.
And what about Go? He's treated as much of a main protagonist as Ash is.

We'll see what goes on in 2 weeks when Ash enters the world championship. They have to retire Ash eventually.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But what would they do given that now that he's the champion & is participating in the world championships to take on Leon, someone who he would call a pokemon master?
It'd feel off if they just go back to the traditional formula of the past after 2 significanty different series progressing Ash as a character. And another reset would piss off many fans and most likely make them quit altogether.
And what about Go? He's treated as much of a main protagonist as Ash is.

We'll see what goes on in 2 weeks when Ash enters the world championship. They have to retire Ash eventually.
ash is always looking for new pokemon and new challenges thats part of his character and that wouldnt stop just becuase he became a pokemon master at long last. gen 7 was that different it pretty much followed the same formula only with ash staying in the one place. theyve treated all of ash's travelling companions as main protagonists, even then youll notice ash is the only one in the movie no go

says who? nothing says they ever have to retire ash

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
ash is always looking for new pokemon and new challenges thats part of his character and that wouldnt stop just becuase he became a pokemon master at long last. gen 7 was that different it pretty much followed the same formula only with ash staying in the one place. theyve treated all of ash's travelling companions as main protagonists, even then youll notice ash is the only one in the movie no go

says who? nothing says they ever have to retire ash
How much can you get out of Ash is the real question. There's only so much you can do with 1 character before it becomes stale and tiresome. People will stop watching at some point. Maybe it'll take years or heck, more than a decade before that happens, but then what about Go?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How much can you get out of Ash is the real question. There's only so much you can do with 1 character before it becomes stale and tiresome. People will stop watching at some point. Maybe it'll take years or heck, more than a decade before that happens, but then what about Go?
you can wring loads out of one character, people have done it with all sorts of characters for even longer than ash. pokemon has the popularity to keep going and ash will go for as long as pokemon does most likely. go will leave just before gen 9.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
you can wring loads out of one character, people have done it with all sorts of characters for even longer than ash. pokemon has the popularity to keep going and ash will go for as long as pokemon does most likely. go will leave just before gen 9.
Let's leave it at that, cause we could go on forever. You feel Ash will continue, i still feel otherwise. We should wait a year or 2 to see what happens.

Anyways, when do we expect fighter #6 to be revealed? We know that Sakurai mentioned that it would take longer to get everything ready for fighter #6. We also haven't had a Nintendo Direct in a long time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wooloo has been deconfirmed.

ESrhHMXWsAcF9R1.jpeg.jpg

Anyways, when do we expect fighter #6 to be revealed? We know that Sakurai mentioned that it would take longer to get everything ready for fighter #6. We also haven't had a Nintendo Direct in a long time.
I don't expect anything until E3 at the earliest. If that end up to be true, then that's good for us.

Even if they knew SwSh was getting a DLC character in the second pass as early as E3 2019 (long before the Spirits were likely made), a minimal gap of 7+ months between the SwSh Spirits and SwSh DLC character is still a long time. Doesn't seem as outlandish when you argue that they could've made some SwSh Spirits because they knew the character would take a while to make.

Staarih

Smash Master
I was always under the impression we could get a trailer for fighter #6 in the next Direct to sell the pass - we knew Joker was coming like 4 months before he was actually out. But then... we never got a Direct haha! I can’t help but think the coronavirus or something had an impact, it’s the longest we’ve gone without one. I’m hoping March will deliver, as after Animal Crossing we have, like, nothing new. Whether we get fighter #6 or not, I dunno, I’ll happily wait for E3 as I’m more into knowing about new games atm.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was always under the impression we could get a trailer for fighter #6 in the next Direct to sell the pass - we knew Joker was coming like 4 months before he was actually out. But then... we never got a Direct haha! I can’t help but think the coronavirus or something had an impact, it’s the longest we’ve gone without one. I’m hoping March will deliver, as after Animal Crossing we have, like, nothing new. Whether we get fighter #6 or not, I dunno, I’ll happily wait for E3 as I’m more into knowing about new games atm.
I don't think the coronavirus has delayed the general Direct. There's nothing I can do to prove that, but I have a feeling the Pokemon Direct and AC Direct were all they had planned for January and February respectively. I think the latter would've been delayed if the coronavirus were the culprit.

I do think we'll get a Direct soon though. I can't see them failing to set up some expectations for E3 by showing off one of their big-hitters like BotW 2.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, going by what Sakurai said shortly after Byleth's reveal...

It may be a while. Probably until E3. I wouldn't be shocked if they took a couple weeks off after putting the finishing touches on Byleth and only started work on Fighters 6-7 some time in January.

I don't think the coronavirus has delayed the general Direct. There's nothing I can do to prove that, but I have a feeling the Pokemon Direct and AC Direct were all they had planned for January and February respectively. I think the latter would've been delayed if the coronavirus were the culprit.

I do think we'll get a Direct soon though. I can't see them failing to set up some expectations for E3 by showing off one of their big-hitters like BotW 2.
Yeah, and especially considering how little we know of upcoming release dates past Animal Crossing, there basically has to be a Direct soon just to announce more stuff or else we'll be almost completely in the dark a week and a half from now.

I figure it's only a matter of time...but I also think there won't be a Smash reveal yet.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
Finally. Someone said it isn't all third party.
Swordfighter pokemon. Makes sense.
Though,
I am glad there is some uniqueness and not just another final starter evo.
you couldn't have said it any better. I really hope it is half third party and half first

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So a website called "GAME" released a thing for Lego and Super mario collaboration, and it said that it was revealed in the last direct. They removed this, but does it mean a direct could be soon?
"GAME" is a store over here, theyve made a few errors i wouldnt read into it

Lusitania

Smash Rookie
Zacian gets all the love. I'm interested in the implications of expanding on "belly armor" for Zamazenta, but with a twist. You know how Zamazenta deflects all attacks? Well what about if you hit (clash) with an attack during the "shield armor" frames... it literally flips the opponent around, a la Cape?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think there's something we need to consider given how many people are ditching e3 this year and the big virus causing a lot of stress and fear.

Where would nintendo host their big June direct if e3 ends up being cancelled?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think there's something we need to consider given how many people are ditching e3 this year and the big virus causing a lot of stress and fear.

Where would nintendo host their big June direct if e3 ends up being cancelled?
Nintendo will still air their presentation regardless of what happens. They don't even need E3 for their Treehouse segments; those can be filmed at their headquarters.

The coronavirus could possibly cause E3 to be cancelled/rescheduled, and I feel like that's a legitimate possibility given where E3 is held. Do I feel like something of that level needs to be done? Not really, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

Top Bottom