• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
What is wrong with gamespot?

The reviews for TP are generally varied between 9.5 and 10.0, (1up is an example of a 10), and absolutely nothing is below a 9.0. How could it be?

Apparently gamespot thinks it could, and gave TP an 8.8.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/review.html

I don't understand. They've marked down for things most others have marked up for(with the exception of graphics, though they marked down more than others did), such as the soundtrack and the wii control.

I always though gamespot was screwy, and now i'm sure.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You're sure because you disagree with their review, even though you never played the game?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
To be honest, the only reason I can fathom that TP got a 9.5 from IGN, and not a 9.8 - 10, is because the next Zelda for Wii might be better. Really, .5 off because it doesn't have voice acting? The review itself seemed accurate, but the score seemed a bit low, in my opinion.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Reviews should only be taken as reference since they are based on personal opinion anyways...what matters is whether YOU enjoy the game or not. If they make another Zelda game for the Wii, it would surely due better since it will be built using Wii graphics, etc. instead of being a port from a Gamecube game like Twilight Princess. :)

Zink

Smash Champion
I read that GS review... it was really odd. Didn't talk much about gameplay, items, story, or dungeons. They mostly talked about how it's a lot like OoT and the music is old. It really wasn't like a lot of their other reviews.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
To be honest, the only reason I can fathom that TP got a 9.5 from IGN, and not a 9.8 - 10, is because the next Zelda for Wii might be better. Really, .5 off because it doesn't have voice acting? The review itself seemed accurate, but the score seemed a bit low, in my opinion.
The lack of orchestrated music was also a huge factor. I was quite dissapointed when I heard it lacked this.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
So was I, but every other review is saying that, for the most part, the music is just fine.

What Jeff has to say about TP is kind irrelevant to me, because while, technically, he was totally right, his tastes are simply not the same as mine, and GCN graphics bother him, while this game looks beautiful to me, and voice acting is crucial for him, whereas I enjoyed Paper Mario 2 quite thoroughly and didn't even THINK about voice acting...the writing was just that good.

But I guess I'll be my own judge, and I'll hopefully not let judging the game get in the way of enjoying it--if it's good enough, this will happen.
Less than 12 hours and I may have it in my hands...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I actually really want orchestrated music, and that is a pretty big disappointment. But, oh well. They did say that it was the best Zelda game ever. I wouldn't even care about the Wii if it wasn't for Twilight Princess.

Zink

Smash Champion
I don't really care about voice acting. Too often there are cutscenes in which the there are no subtitles, and you can't tell what they're saying (I'm looking at you, Path of Radiance). Plus, it's Zelda. It isn't a voice oriented game.
I disagree with Jeff about the graphics. I think they basically hit peak during the GCN generation. Look at Path of Radiance, Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia and Jungle Beat- simply dazzling, in anime as well as realism.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
I find this non-orchestrated music problem to be rather puzzling. You would think that if Nintendo went MIDI they would at least use a top of the line plugin for generation, but if you can actually tell the difference while it's playing in the backround, they must not have. What gives?

Oh well, the game still looks amazing. I'm not even a Zelda fan, and I'm actually kind of hyped for this.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Music is a big part, and even though it isn't orchestrated, I believe it will still be every beautiful and majestic-like. Zelda has never let me down before; it's always had great music.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I agree, I'm disappointed about the lack of orchestrated music. Because that would have made the game oh so much more epic. *dreams about the next Zelda*

But I supposed MIDI for one more game won't be so bad, the music sounds okay after all.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's what everyone but Gamespot had to say.

And alas, I spent the past two weeks getting all hyped for Zelda, only to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart to find out all the Wiis were reserved by people who had been waiting since the morning...Wonderful...Complete and utter waste of time that.

Oh, well. No way was I camping out.
I just hope they continue a ncie stream of supplies so that I have some chance of getting one soon...*sigh*
There goes my hopes of enjoying my Thanksgiving break...

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
5 minutes into the game and im loving it wii so cool waited 3 hours outside of eb games was worth it for the wii. I was so lucky i came to eb games at like 9:00 and there was only 10 people outside and i was 12 or 11 and there were 29 wiis that could be sold, excluding preorder.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ok, so I bought the game....

I find it to be the best Zelda game...ever. BUT, it doesn't have the "OMFG, THIS IS SO NEW AND AMAZING" feel that Orcania of Time did. I'd put pics up...but last time I did that, people were tripping.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh, the fishing part is really silly. I had trouble with it at first, but I proceeded to bang my head against the wall repeatedly after figuring it out. In order to fish you need to
wait until the green part of the lure goes down into the water and then you can pull back. Be sure your press B instead of A to give the fish to the cat.

I'd be more than happy to lend some help to those stuck, though I'm only near the end of the first dungeon so don't expect much...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
IceDrake,
you have to break the wood box in the cell and dig where the box was

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Man, I also had problems with what the two of you said above.

My question is for the middle of the first dungeon

I am in the forest temple, and I just got the Gale Boomerang and compass. I went to the place where there are four windmill things, and a door. Midna tells me to blow the windmills to open the door, and I do, but it wont work. The doors only shutter. What am I doing wrong?

Ronike

Smash Ace
Look at the ground for a clue. Does anyone else besideds me find this game a little bit more difficult than previous zelda games?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I find it more difficult, slightly. Who doesn't like a good challenge? I don't expect them to go easy on us after waiting all this time for this game.

Ronike

Smash Ace
True, true, but Im still not used to waving the Wiimote when im in danger vs. pushing a button. I suppose Ill get used to it. How far is everyone neways? I just beat forest temple and now have to do HW

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Eorlingas,
Look at the ground to find the correct path. You should see a line that is darker than the rest of the ground. If memory serves me right, you should hit the front left one, the front right one, the back left one, and the back right one. Enjoy your Piece of Heart.

Finally beat the first boss. I'll have to play more once Thanksgiving Break starts...

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.thewiire.com/review/16/3/Legend_of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess

The Wiire's review.
So weird...They actually say the game gets WORSE as you go, as te story and gameplay get rushed at the end.
I've heard the opposite everywhere else.
This review says the story peeters out, but everywhere ELSE has said it has one of the greatest pay offs in a video game.

These reviews are rather inconsisent, some saying sound is great, others that it sucks, etc.

But I guess everyone else's opinion won't matter much to my enjoyment.
I'll decide for myself when I play it. Whenever that happens...
Though I do worry if the game will be TOO much of deja vu.
Yoshi's Island 2 has, thus far, suffered from that, but I'm not even halfway through it.
But then again, TP looks to surpass OoT in presentation, whereas YI2 is actually LESS in presentation due to choppy animation in certain things that were smooth as butter in the original, etc.

I guess we'll see if that deja vu feeling disappoints.

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
It was funny when the troll thingys from wind waker came and attacked me in the first temple i like keep slicing em up wit the wiimote. shaking the nunchuck to make link do a spin is my favourite sword move.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://au.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-24771792&user=MattRorie

Gamespot retaliated to the masses concerning their Zelda review.
Here's how I responded to Matt:

---
I haven't play this game yet, but I HAVE played previous Zeldas, and here's the thing:

You guys are saying Zelda needs to revolutionize itself like Resident Evil 4.

Here's the flaw to that argument: Resident Evil was BROKEN.
Zelda never was!

Nintendo should not try to fix what isn't broken, we've seen how well THAT can go...

And while I can certainly see how blatantly the game relies on Oot in the first part of the game, I understand it differentiates itself quite nicely in the last half.

This is why Majora's Mask is currently my favorite Zelda--it uses a very creative concept, does it well, and incorporates the elements of Zelda while building on top of them.

If TPdoes this, I will consider it a success.

You don't ditch your legendary lineage JUST for the sake of change.
You expand upon it with fresh ideas.
Obviously, you still think the game was good, you gave it an 8.8, so you have to agree that the base formula is good.
Reviewers have said that the game does rely a lot on OoT, but it expands a lot in different ways and enlarges the scope to freshen the formula, and if it does this enough, then it's a worthy sequel.

After all, what about Mario Bros. 3 or Mario World?
They were practically the same game as their original, but they refined the formula and added in some new concepts, they didn't drastically change anything at all.

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Ack! This game has some crazy stuff they try to make you pull off. Can anyone tell me
how to get that chest in one of the early rooms of the first temple? The one that's suspended by a piece of web you can't reach? I need that key to get the fourth monkey...

Ronike

Smash Ace
Use the item you get in the dungeon, same as in wind waker. You aren't looking hard enough as its not even a key I think

Top Bottom