• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just made it into the
fourth dungeon. The fourth dungeon IS the Grounds in the Gerudo Desert, correct?

Anyways, I'm loving the game so far, but can anyone tell me if
Gerudos return? I mean, the desert returns, but what about it's inhabitants?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I just made it into the
fourth dungeon. The fourth dungeon IS the Grounds in the Gerudo Desert, correct?

Yes

Anyways, I'm loving the game so far, but can anyone tell me if
Gerudos return? I mean, the desert returns, but what about it's inhabitants?
Unfortunately, they are gone

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The bosses were pretty easy. Almost every single dungeon had me puzzled at something for at least twenty minutes, but it always turned out to be something incredibly easy that I just missed (exp: Using the boomerang on pillar, but it didn't work. After twenty minutes, I finally notice the marking on the ground linking them into a pattern).

It took me around 35 hours to beat it. I wasn't racing at all, I just really enjoyed it and wanted to do/find out as much as possible.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Actually, I think they all lied. This is the first Zelda game I have ever played without a guide, and I am not a "Gamer". Zelda (and WoW, a few years ago) is the only video game that I actually stay inside all day and play, unless someone calls.

saberhof

Smash Master
Soo....Are you gonna play it again? :), or maybe you should try passing it 100%...if you didnt already.

[EDIT]: a GuiDE!?...no wonder.
[EDIT2]: Nevermind VVVVVVVV

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Actually, that was a type. I meant to say without. This was the first zelda game I played without a guide

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
just beat it, clock says 53 hours, but I've fallen asleep with the game on several times... an amazing game, I'm concidering starting over or picking up I left off...

Eor
Did the game save for you after you beat it? Or did you have to start from your last save?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
NOTE: there could be spoilers in the following post, but I'm only gonna spoiler tag really obvious spoilers... so read at your own digression.

Eor, I'm in almost the exact same position as you. I usually have to use a guide for the dungeons, because they're just confusing to me, but TP was better. The dungeons made more... sense. I got stuck a good few times, but I figured it out after awhile. I beat it about 35 hours without using a guide once.

I felt like the plot was almost worse than past games because all it did was tease me and not actually deliver. There was some great stuff they started with - the kids were great characters, the cutscenes were dramatic and had motion-captured animation, the entire twilight realm was surreal and interesting, and Midna is a SWEET character. They had all this stuff to work with, but it all fell short in the end. Honestly, the last dungeon felt completely tacked on, and it felt like the whole last hour was just mashed in there because that's how all zelda games end.

We barely saw the twilight realm at all. Which was sad. It was beautiful and interesting, and the art team obviously worked overtime on it.

The beginning of the game started off with a great story, but about half-way through it just... drops it. I mean, for real. Like, what was up with Ilia? You rescue her and then after a huge journey you
finally get her memory back
and then you never intereact with her again. It seemed so... anticlamactic.

Also, Link had almost no connection with
Zelda
at all, and the final fight felt totally forced. In previous games,
Link always has some type of connection with Zelda before he goes on his journey. In OoT, he meets her in the garden and she gives him the ocarina, plus the whole sheik thing, and in WW she was freaking Tetra. It just seemed so awkward. It was like, "ummm yeah so feel like teaming up to kill ganondorf or whatever?" "sure okay!" It was just weird. If Ilia had been Zelda, on the other hand... or if they had it so Zelda's conciousness is transfered to Ilia's body instead of her own.

I'm still not sure if it's better than Majora's Mask. It's definitely better than OoT in my opinion, though. I don't know. It just felt like so much of it fell flat. It felt kind of incomplete.

Regarding a gameplay standpoint, though, it was extremely well crafted. Other than the bosses being on the easy side, and the 7th and 9th dungeons feeling out of place, it was perfect. The dungeons were extremely well-crafted, the game pushed you along in the right direction as to be guiding without being restricting, but not so free as to make you sit there tearing your hair out because you can't figure out what to do.

I thought using the wiimote for the sword wasn't really that amazing, except maybe in the final boss fight. The rest of the controls were great, though.

That's all my thoughts for now. Once some guides come out, I might go through it at a slower pace and do all the sidequests and whatnot.

EDIT: <3, mine just ended on the "the end" screen and stayed there until I turned the console off, and it didn't save. I hate it when games do that...

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
The only thing that's disappointed me so far (I'm just about finished with the
Lakebed Temple
) is that what you do with the Wiimote doesn't directly translate to sword moves. I can do whatever I want with the Wiimote, and Link will do the exact same thing on screen. If only there had been a more in-depth move system. What if some enemies could only be harmed with stabs, and stabbing required you to thrust the Wiimote forward? Anyway, if you could actually control the sword slashes directly, it would have been a whole lot more fun. That goes for Red Steel, too (which I feel is not a very good game. I got it cause I needed multiplayer, but it fell flat on it's face for that).

The game in general, however (up to where I am, anyway) is fantastic. While it hasn't torn down barriers and wowed us into soiled pants like OoT did, I think it's a better game, all things considered. I'll have to get further before I pass final judgment.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ok it comes out december 7th here but please answer me a few questions.

Do they go indepth with the Zoras if they are in and explain their absense from TWW?

Is Shiek in it?

Are the Kokoris there?

What role does that one Gerudo play?

Does Zelda actually fight?

Who is the main villain?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Do they go indepth with the Zoras if they are in and explain their absense from TWW?
No. This game takes place before TWW

Is Shiek in it?
No (added space so someone couldn't tell the answer was two letters)

Are the Kokoris there?

No (added space so someone couldn't tell the answer was two letters)

What role does that one Gerudo play?
I am assuming, based on your last question, that you don't mind the last villian being ruined. If you do, don't read on. The "One Gerudo" is Gannondorf.

Does Zelda actually fight?
Rather big spoiler, just a warning. Answer in the next spoiler tag

In the final boss fight, she gets possessed by Gannondorf and forced to fight against you

Who is the main villain?

Rather big spoiler, just a warning. Answer in the next spoiler tag

Gannondorf, but he isn't revived until the last few parts of the game. It turns out in the end that the Twilight King is serving him, and he is revived at the end of the game

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Paranoid Android said:
. What if some enemies could only be harmed with stabs, and stabbing required you to thrust the Wiimote forward?
You can. While z-targeting, hold forward on the control stick and thrust forward. Voila.

As for one to one, it wouldn't work. If you don't have a set combo, linklink could just essentially keep swinging infinitely without a pause and killing enemies would be insanely easy. They're already pretty easy as it is. Also with one to one, what if you just shook you controller as rapidly as possible? Since there's no weight to the controller compared to a sword, you could turn Link into a living saw blade. Too easy.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
But you don't need to thrust forward. It's the Z-targeting thats making the thrust, not your movement.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
really? So if you hold forward and slash, it'll still do a stab?
Yes, and that's my point.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be limitations... Rather, I'm saying that there should be more. It shouldn't accept your obvious slash as a stab. And when you swing left, it shouldn't swing right. It just doesn't make any sense.

By the way, some of the later special moves are really cool.

And finally,
the fourth dungeon is kind of a pain in the ***. Stupid poes. Speaking of poes, I like their redesign

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you other guys agree with the comments on the story droppng it in the second half?

I have hopes for this story being the best so far in the series, and almost everything I've read (pn comment said otherwise) has said it has a great story and it has awesome pay off in the end.

Maybe it's a personal issue.
I've heard ONE person (besides that above) say the stort gives up halfway through.
Everyone else says the game gets BETTER the farther you get into it.

Eor:
Oh, I see. I guess when you see the first bits of the game, it seems rather animal oriented. Oh, well. Seems like Malon was kind of replaced by Ilia,, also. 1Up's video review mentiond how the kids continue to be a part of the storyline through the whol game...
Anyway, obviously, we're going to be very critical. Maybe I will be, too, as far as the story goes, but I have a gut feeling I will leave thinking i
t is the best Zelda I have played.
Maybe the gameplay/story won't be perfect, but no game is.
And as long as I enjoy it and it surpasses every Zelda before it, then I think I'll be satisfied.
EDIT: If I can get a friggin' Wii and Zelda within the next week or two, I'll be satisfied.
I'm goin' to New York City to the Nintendo World Store, maybe other places, next weekend, and if I cna't find one, I'm gonna be really annoyed, because that's ridiculous.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
That's because the Wii is selling ridiculously well. I think by next weekend there should be ample copies(after launch and thanksgiving weekend, but before holiday shopping really kicks in).

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Speaking of being stuck, I'm in the Goron Mines, and I can't get the third magnetic crane to work, the one highest up on the wall. (I apparently have a lot less free time than other people here.)
I've tried shooting arrows at everything around that crane that looks like whatever it is I need to hit, even while hanging upside down from the other cranes. I got to the boss's door and realized I'd only gotten two key shards.
I checked other rooms around, and nothing. Someone please help me out, because I need to go to work.

Hey, btw, I think I figured
out that Midna isIlia.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
blacksheap82 said:
Hey, btw, I think I figured out that
Midna isIlia.
Nope, she isn't

As for Midna, she might be my favorite Zelda character EVER. I really like her. She has more personality than, well, any other major Zelda character.

The boss fights, while easy, are quite fun. Especially
the Lakebed Temple. Once that fish came out of the ground, I thought to myself "Whoa crap!". I loved grappling onto its eye and then stabbing it. I was doing full-blown slashes with the Wii Remote instead of my usual flicks of the wrist.

Peanut_Reactor

Smash Apprentice
Pros and Cons in my opinion after ONLY beating 2nd dungeon in twilight princess (sample views into the game)
Pros:
Weapons well thought out with multiple uses and well collaborated into dungeons
Storyline is good (so far... theres a second part?!?)
Good music (but wheres the classic stuff? its mostly orchestrated)
World/dungeons are big
riding a horse = fun

Cons:
Wolf form to me... is just not fun compared to human
swinging sword action is not a very good use of the remote, not following movements and involving pressing of buttons to use different moves
cannot shoot arrows while running/horseriding... (EDIT: you CAN shoot on horseback =D)
no movement involved in shooting arrows... simply point and click
bosses/puzzles are too easy and somewhat repetitive... but thats not really that bad... (dont have to use guides as said earlier by other ppl)
2nd dungeon... dont use any old items? =Z =Z

Skler

Smash Master
I beat this game after about 35 hours of playing. Kinda short, but I didn't do any side quests so I started on those, some of those heart pieces are so obvious.

The game is awesome, by far the best fights I've had in a Legend of Zelda game (all the other games were so easy). The puzzles are about the same as the other games but I love the fighting! You can shoot arrows from horseback and while moving (not running, but moving)

I forgot to add the game has the best boss fights ever.

Zant is the best boss I have ever met and G-dorf is actually a challenge!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Pros and Cons in my opinion after ONLY beating 2nd dungeon in twilight princess (sample views into the game)

Cons:
Wolf form to me... is just not fun compared to human
swinging sword action is not a very good use of the remote, not following movements and involving pressing of buttons to use different moves
cannot shoot arrows while running/horseriding...
no movement involved in shooting arrows... simply point and click
bosses/puzzles are too easy and somewhat repetitive... but thats not really that bad... (dont have to use guides as said earlier by other ppl)
2nd dungeon... dont use any old items? =Z =Z

ummm...music isn't orchestrated, it's all midi files.

and you can shoot arrows from horseback, and still keep moving, much better than ocarina of time.

Personally i wouldn't want something where i have to draw every single arrow back physically and then re-aim...it's just too slow.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher, trust us.
The second half of the story is just like any other Zelda game. No true characters that do anything, except for Midna, which is why she is a shining light through the game. In the first half, the Kids are very important. In the second half, only Illia is important, for one use. Besides that, you have no reason to talk/interact with any of them. They have no more purpose, and it feels very random. The ending is not...climatic. It's a good ending, but it doesn't live up to the game. I would say the first half is better then OoT, and the second half is below it. It is still a very good game. Just unequal.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I forgot to add the game has the best boss fights ever.

Zant is the best boss I have ever met and G-dorf is actually a challenge!
Zant was funny. But I thought the bosses were just for show. Not really challenge.

By the way...
Does anyone know anything about a magic meter?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
cannot shoot arrows while running/horseriding...
Er, um, you can shoot arrows while on horseback. Use the Z-targeting or the point and shoot method.
I beat this game after about 35 hours of playing. Kinda short, but I didn't do any side quests so I started on those, some of those heart pieces are so obvious.
Yeah, some of the sidequests can be really difficult to complete.
From what I've read, the Poe Souls are giving people a lot of trouble without using a guide. And then there's the Cavern of Ordeals...
By the way...
Does anyone know anything about a magic meter?
Apparently, there isn't one in the game despite earlier screenshots showing one. But then again, nothing in the game really requires magic..
There is magic armor that makes you invincible but that thing eats Rupees instead.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Nope, she isn't

As for Midna, she might be my favorite Zelda character EVER. I really like her. She has more personality than, well, any other major Zelda character.

The boss fights, while easy, are quite fun. Especially
the Lakebed Temple. Once that fish came out of the ground, I thought to myself "Whoa crap!". I loved grappling onto its eye and then stabbing it. I was doing full-blown slashes with the Wii Remote instead of my usual flicks of the wrist.
Oh, ah well, it was just an educated guess. But that still doesn't tell me how to activate that third crane. I've exhausted practically everything I can think of, or else I wouldn't be asking. Plus my brother is taking his turn right now, and is catching up to me. But I don't want him to get ahead of me so he doesn't spoil any of it.

Two side points: I'm somewhat dissapointed by the Wiimote sword controls. I was told by people who played it before launch that he swung his sword exactly according your movements of the Wiimote, but it turns out he doesn't; no upswing, and no right to left slash. But the thrusting is good. I'm just dissapointed that you don't do the finishing move by stabbing down with the Wiimote like in the E3 demo of the Goron Mines. Still, it's a lot more interesting than mashing the A button, and I don't know if the shield charge is in the GC version also, but I know thrusting the GC controller wouldn't do the same thing.

Nuts, I'll have to post the other later.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Oh, ah well, it was just an educated guess. But that still doesn't tell me how to activate that third crane. I've exhausted practically everything I can think of, or else I wouldn't be asking. Plus my brother is taking his turn right now, and is catching up to me. But I don't want him to get ahead of me so he doesn't spoil any of it.

Two side points: I'm somewhat dissapointed by the Wiimote sword controls. I was told by people who played it before launch that he swung his sword exactly according your movements of the Wiimote, but it turns out he doesn't; no upswing, and no right to left slash. But the thrusting is good. I'm just dissapointed that you don't do the finishing move by stabbing down with the Wiimote like in the E3 demo of the Goron Mines. Still, it's a lot more interesting than mashing the A button, and I don't know if the shield charge is in the GC version also, but I know thrusting the GC controller wouldn't do the same thing.

Nuts, I'll have to post the other later.

Question 1:
Do you have the bow yet?
If not, keep reading. I'm assuming that you don't.

Are you
in that room with a single magnetic crane, a bunch of enemy archers shooting at you, and a single laser-eye thing? Go near the laser-eye thing (I forgot their actual name... I should get the guide just for the bestiary) and look around - There should be a treasure chest with a small key in it. Use that to open the only other door - not activate the crane. Once you go through this door, you'll find another piece of the Big Key, and then later encounter the mini-boss that will give you the Hero's Bow. Once you have this, you will end up in that same room with the crane and archers again, but you will be able to shoot the eye of the laser thing, and then drag it out of the way so that you can get to where you activate the crane (with your iron boots, of course). Don't forget to shoot the door open with your bow before taking the crane ride, or you're in for a splash.

I hope that helps. Being stuck really sucks - Even worse in one of those "D'oh!" situations.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
SO now for my new set of questions...
What do you get at the bottom of the cave of ordeals? And has anyone found the third tunic yet?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
EDIT: Forget, it was just another "D'oh" situation; you hit the nail on the head there, PA. That wasn't the first time I made this game more complicated than it needed to be, that's what I get for not being observant. Whoever it was that said the dungeons made more sense, I think it's that you really just follow one route, there's less backtracking. Although, I haven't gotten to the Lakebed Temple yet... God, I hate levels or dungeons. where you have to control the water level over and over again.

Sorry everybody! :( :psycho:

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Eor: (*chortle* Eyore, like a...donkey, or something...)
That's a shame, the story looks very promising, and I've heard the first half of the game is LESS original than the second half. But then again, I've seen mixed opinions all over the place, so I can't really take anyone's word for it--I'll have to play it myself. And it smacked me in the head yesterday--of course there's no Malon, because Ilia is basically a replacement of her, of sorts. Midna has got to be important, they even play a ditty from her theme on the title screen, and she oozes personality and "myserious importance."

Now, ya know what's silly?
All those folks whining about Twilight Princess being delayed on GCN.
Guess what? You practically have to wait until then at least ANYWAY because there's no f5cking Wiis anywhere, which makes me wonder why the advertising is crazy right now when ou can't GET any. I know I'd be annoyed if I got excited about something and then found out that I couldn't GET one.
Oh, wait...that sorta already happened.
Still crossing my fingers for New York City...
Any bets on my chances of getting one at the Nintendo World Store this Saturday?

Skler

Smash Master
I don't know why people are saying the story isn't good. It's probably one of the best in a Legend of Zelda game, who cares if some important characters don't do as much as they could. The new characters > the old ones anyways (honestly, they rule). It's a story that isn't boring, and I get bored pretty easily.

Ok so about the bosses...

Maybe I went a little far when i said a challenge, but they can actually hit (like ganon's vicious elbow stab combo). The other games they really couldn't do anything except look sorta scary at times and bang on your shield all day.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There has been one major game-breaking glitch discovered in the game. It doesn't happen until a later part of the game, so it's best to know about itnow and not be sorry later. Obviously, there will be spoilers in the vid but watching it could be more beneficial than you think.

Cannon glitch

There is another game-breaking glitch involving one of the bridges in the game, but I'm guessing it hasn't happened to anyone.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Skler
Maybe I'm not speaking for everyone, but we're not saying the story is bad. We are saying that the story started out amazing, but then slipped into mediocre. The news characters (when I say that, I mean the Order people. Shad, Rusl, that old man, and the girl)didn't do anything. They just existed to tell you where to go next, and that could have been done by the sages, who basically did. All they really needed to do was make it much longer inbetween each dungeon, like the first four, and inbetween each one have a quest that used each character. They all already had a motive for being at the location.

Top Bottom