• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Nic64

Smash Lord
Well the difference is that the SW2k video was just that, a video. It had no ties to a game, it was just made to show off gamecubes power. The E3 video is a video of the game in action, they didn't just animate it, that's actually the game in its current form.

New weapons would be great. I agree that a whip or an ax would rule, I'd also think a pike/spear might be good. Yeah the bow is a bit overused, they should bring back the good ol' beam shooting sword like in LoZ(or rings of light ala LTTP).

firaga01

Smash Lord
First of all, rAt, it's good seeing you again and hearing your $0.02!

Look, by last minute, I didn't mean it took Nintendo three minutes to make WW. I know as wella s the next person that games of WW's caliber take months if not years to design. I still stick next to my conjecture, however, that Nintendo was always going to make a realistic LoZ sequel but wanted to try something different anyways.

If you truly believe MM was a unique game, good job, you're right, genius. Any deviation from the Ganondorf storyline is enough to bring about uniqueness in a Zelda game (for those who are slow: I'm being sarcastic. The gameplay was great.) However, MM could have been a much better game had they not rushed through it. Remember how I kept saying MM took only a year to make? I wasn't saying MM sucked, I just meant that Nintendo used the euphoria generated by OoT to create an unpolished sequel to it because people didn't want to wait 6 years again for the next Zelda.

THAT'S ALL I MEANT, DAMMIT!

Oh, and Luigi? I'm not whining about anything. I'm telling you what I think. If you're too **** close-minded to address the issues at hand, bite me and stop *****ing like a fanboy.

I don't know how you guys can NOT see a similarity between SW2K and LoZ. To say there are no ties between them is completely absurd. There, I'm through. I'm done arguing with people who refuse to listen.

dejavu3k

Smash Lord
I know where you live....and you can't do anything
Other than the fact that they are both realistic, there is no other similarity. Spaceworld featured Link going against Ganondorf. E3 features Link exploring a world with different enemies. Spaceworld was just a movie showing the Gamecube's power. The E3 clip is made up of actual in-game clips.

Also, the graphical styles are also a bit different. The Link of Spaceworld looks much more similar to the link of OoT. The Link of E3 has more of a distinct look. For example, his hair is not evenly parted, like OoT and Spaceworld link. Spaceworld Link also had bright yellow hair. E3 Link has more of a brownish hair.

If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Personally I think the new Link looks alot like the LTTP Link with the major sideburns and all.

dejavu, it's funny when you're talking about the Spaceworld Link because it's your avatar. ;)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
As a comment to nic64 post.
I thought they made it clear that when they redid the first zelda by making OOt that it meant that alttp and OOT were unrelated. You can see it as a twitch to a story line. ALLTP is the sequel to zelda 1 and WW is the sequel to OOT. They were not to be placed in the same line. Als it would make more sense because they both have some side line's like Links awakening(LA) and MM. These are not direct sequels. If not then plz correct me ;)
As for MM just being a quick remake I completely disagree. For starters we have the time system witch really was one of the best aditions to the game. I have until now not seen any other game use this as well as MM. Maybe pokemon but that has a different time system. The way in with you can redo events because you have 3 days to complete it was great. They also used this to its fullest. You really had to follow people for a whole day to find out what they did. Unless you used a guide of course but thats just fake.
Also this was the only zelda wich featured bosses witch you could fight again and again. The story was also quite dark and it had a really good epic feeling.
Its one of the best zelda's IMO and not a quick remake.
Quantity isn't important quality is. :D

As to the SWK2 demo as its called by some here. I do believe it had some kind of influance and of course they are realted somehow but they obviously changed a lot. Mostly the characters don't look so clay like as they did in de SWK2 demo witch was one of my greatest fears. I do believe thing have to be changed and you could see it wasn't completed yet. The plains didn't feature much detail and that is not ninty like. It was clear this wasn't a finished version.

I guess thats about it.
:rolleyes:

Nic64

Smash Lord
I thought they made it clear that when they redid the first zelda by making OOt that it meant that alttp and OOT were unrelated. You can see it as a twitch to a story line. ALLTP is the sequel to zelda 1 and WW is the sequel to OOT. They were not to be placed in the same line. Als it would make more sense because they both have some side line's like Links awakening(LA) and MM. These are not direct sequels. If not then plz correct me

OoT was a remake of LoZ? o_O Where did they say this? OoT had refferences to LTTP, it's really not possible that they're completely unrelated IMO. I didn't get to the end of LoZ, one of my friends says Ganon is just turned to ashes not totally destroyed at the end and therfore it is not the last one, LTTP is...can anyone verify this?

And I agree with everything you say about MM. It was one of the greatest Zelda's IMO, not nearly enough people give it the recognition it deserves.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
SWK2? I didn't know they had a SpaceWorld in the year 1002?

The SpaceWorld Link always looked a little girly for me. The hair, the face, the earing(?!) but the new link, coolness. Regardless of where it's set, if Gannon's involved, if...ect. I think we can all agree it's just gonna rock. If you're gonna try and fit it in the timeline, there's a discussion topic for that somewhere.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
So, when does the name of this topic get changed to "Debate on the similarities and connections/lack of connections between New Zelda game and SW2K Video"? Is this debate getting old to anyone else? Remember when we used to debate more significant things, like how the games fit together, not how they came about?
Look, i see the SW video as validation that they had plans to make a game in a realistic style since before Wind Waker. That's all. I never said that the SW video WAS said game, or that they had even started on it yet, but the plain fact of the matter is that they showed the SW video AFTER the game which eventually became WW was announced, so whether or not it was endorsed by Nintendo, there was a implyed/assumed connection there. I see all of this as part of Nintendo's marketing stratagy. That's all. Nothing that can or will be said from this point forward will change my mind on the subject, so how's about we stop debating it?
On a side note, I can't wait till this game is released and we can start debating the Zelda game order/timelines/continuity/ect. again. Its a lot more fun than bickering over where a game came from.
Also, on the "MM vs. um... people who... don't like it...?" issue, the reason i say it felt rushed and undeveloped is that there were an undeniable amount of plot corners which were never tied together (Navi anyone? How about the Deku Butler's Son?), which would have been noticed if the developement team had taken more time. While i agree that the level of unnecesary sidequests was extremely impressive, both in depth and challenge, it was at the expense of the core game. The idea of redoing each day was brilliant, however, i always had the feeling that there was no real point to Link's presence. In his position, i'd have just gotten Epona, the Ocarina, and called it quits, as Link really has no connection to Termina. Again it would have been quite an easy thing for Nintendo to stop and hammer out these dents, hence why it feels rushed. However, don't misinterpret my criticisms to mean that it is a bad game, simply i think it could have been better.
Geez, i'm broke right now, so i'll hold off on the real two cents...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by The rAt
the plain fact of the matter is that they showed the SW video AFTER the game which eventually became WW was announced
No, they announced WW after. There was a whole lot of complaints because they thought they were getting a realistic one, then they get a cartoon. Just clarifying.

EDIT: But they still didn't say it was to be cel-shaded. That's what I'm trying to say.

The rAt

Smash Ace
I know Wind Waker itself wasn't announced. However, if i recall correctly, (i suppose it is possible, i'm getting old and my memory is going to be leaving me soon) Nintendo had already announced plans to make A Zelda game. No, it wasn't in development. No, no information was released about it yet. The plan was announced was ANNOUNCED. Kinda like Mario 128 is ANNOUNCED, and has been for quite some time, and yet for all we know, the game is a figment of Shiggy's imagination (Except that supposedly its already in development? maybe? i haven't really kept up w/ any of the information on it... it was kinda just an offhand example i thought of in the last two seconds, so if the example wasn't applicable, i appologize for sucking at life)... And like i said, my memory isn't what it used to be, so it may have been shortly after SW2K.
That's all... nevermind... I'm too tired... No more arguing...

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Originally posted by The rAt

Also, on the "MM vs. um... people who... don't like it...?" issue, the reason i say it felt rushed and undeveloped is that there were an undeniable amount of plot corners which were never tied together (Navi anyone? How about the Deku Butler's Son?), which would have been noticed if the developement team had taken more time. While i agree that the level of unnecesary sidequests was extremely impressive, both in depth and challenge, it was at the expense of the core game. The idea of redoing each day was brilliant, however, i always had the feeling that there was no real point to Link's presence. In his position, i'd have just gotten Epona, the Ocarina, and called it quits, as Link really has no connection to Termina.
Navi abandond Link at the end of OOT because he didn't need a fairy anymore. So it makes sense navi wasn't in it.
Als you forget about the mask man in the clock tower. He would open the gates for you to return to the normal world but he needs the mask you can see that because only majora's mask opened the gate way back. So it makes sense link tried to save termina. And what would you do if you saw all these people so happy and heard that a moon was going to chrash in 3 days. I would help them. You are right about deku buttlers son but it wouldn't matter much for the story line anywayz.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Ryuker, to what you said previously... No.

It was made clear that Ocarina of Time was the first game placed in the series. It explained the origins of Hyrule and the tale of the one who wields the Master Sword, and he was the first kid to be clad in green clothing and pull the master sword out of the pedastal of time. Now Navi leaves him because Link didn't need her help anymore. Now the real reason Link goes into the Lost Woods in Majoras Mask is to look for a "lost friend". Here they were talking about Navi. Gah, you know the story.

Now, The Windwaker sets itself hundreds of years after OoT, explaining the origings of the hero of time itself in the beginning and throughout the course of the game. So yeah, you could say this is the "real" sequel to OoT. Then of course we have this WW2 at hand. It doesn't set it's territory at sea as the Windwaker did, but all the enemies seem to be darker more realistic enemies of the windwaker enemies. You can tell by the Moblins and Bokoblins.

The game that supposively comes next in the Zelda timeline is ALttP and Link's awakening. I forgot how Oracles and Seasons fitted in. I also have no clue where 4 Swords belong. The last games in the series are supposed to be The Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

Yatta

Smash Rookie
The game that supposively comes next in the Zelda timeline is ALttP and Link's awakening. I forgot how Oracles and Seasons fitted in. I also have no clue where 4 Swords belong. The last games in the series are supposed to be The Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.
I believe Oracles and Seasons fit in just before Link's awakening. If you complete both Oracles and Seasons with the password continuation so that the story continues in the other game you get the real ending. At the end of the ending you see Link leaving on a ship, which I think is the ship you see at the beginning of Link's awakening. I hope this helps you.

Nic64

Smash Lord
LTTP is the game in which Ganondorf dies, plus there are too many other holes for it to be after WW. The Master Sword being in the woods, not the bottom of the sea, Ganon being trapped in the dark world not turned to stone... really WW created more questions than it answered. Substitute 7 wise men with sages and the link between OoT and LTTP would've been obvious. WW destroyed many such connections, and created new questions like if all knowledge of Hyrule was lost then why is there a Kakariko village? Death mountain, lake hylia? Lost woods? It doesn't make any sense...hopefully this new game won't make it even more confusing =/

James macloud

Smash Journeyman
i don't know

the thing is ww is like centurays after the other adventurs so they can really say anything happens since gnodorf can't really die (i mean if some one takes the master sword out of his head he'll magicly recover). plus another thing like must me the most forgetful mofo ever. every time he seems to lose all his stuff. maybe he's just poor and needs to sell his stuff lol. i hope in this one link finds navi since thats why he ended up in the clock town. no wonder hes not around to stop gandorf the second time (when the gods flood the place) hes on a well deserved holliday. he link i'll buy that great fariy sword for 30 rypee. one lart thing i really hope you can get dogs in the new won plus great deyatie link shoud me in it he was so cool (link on drugs with a big sword for people who didn't get ever mask in MM).

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Nic64
LTTP is the game in which Ganondorf dies, plus there are too many other holes for it to be after WW. The Master Sword being in the woods, not the bottom of the sea, Ganon being trapped in the dark world not turned to stone... really WW created more questions than it answered. Substitute 7 wise men with sages and the link between OoT and LTTP would've been obvious. WW destroyed many such connections, and created new questions like if all knowledge of Hyrule was lost then why is there a Kakariko village? Death mountain, lake hylia? Lost woods? It doesn't make any sense...hopefully this new game won't make it even more confusing =/
Hmmm... I'd have to say Wind Waker is last in the series. But I wouldn't say Wind Waker made more questions for the series. By any chance did you mean "Why isn't there a Kakariko village? etc, etc.." because if you did that's easy to explain. Since all knowledge of Hyrule was lost they just renamed thing for Wind Waker. Death Mountain became Dragon Roost Island or whatever it is, there wouldn't be a Lake Hylia since it's all ocean, Kakariko Village would've been lost as it was more towards the base of Death Mountain and would be underwater, and I'd have to say if anything, the woods on Outset Island are what are left of the Lost Woods.

If I was just typing about all that for no reason because I didn't read what you wrote correcting then ****, that sucks for me. :|

And James macloud... your spelling is absolutely terrifying.

The rAt

Smash Ace
I thought chronologically WW was supposed to take place after OoT? I mean, there's mention of The Hero of Time and how he defeated Gannon (with no other mention of Gannon being beaten by anyone, except by being sunk at the bottom of the ocean), and no reference to any of the other Links. Now, granted OoT is more significant than the other stories as it is the origins of both Link and Gannon, so over time, its concievable that it was the only story to survive. However, there would need to be at least some reference to or mention of the other stories, as there are so many other games in the series, so many major events and characters, and they would have at least been mentioned in some form or another. Therefore, i think it is unlikely that WW is the last game in the series, though possible. However, i think it is important to note that WindWaker is completely open ended. It does not stand alone in the series, because it does not end with the game, but alludes directly to another story. Until we know what that story is and what happens in it, without doubt, place Wind Waker chronologically. Who knows what this new game is going to bring?

Nic64

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I'd have to say Wind Waker is last in the series. But I wouldn't say Wind Waker made more questions for the series. By any chance did you mean "Why isn't there a Kakariko village? etc, etc.." because if you did that's easy to explain. Since all knowledge of Hyrule was lost they just renamed thing for Wind Waker. Death Mountain became Dragon Roost Island or whatever it is, there wouldn't be a Lake Hylia since it's all ocean, Kakariko Village would've been lost as it was more towards the base of Death Mountain and would be underwater, and I'd have to say if anything, the woods on Outset Island are what are left of the Lost Woods.

It's pretty well known that WW follows OoT chronologically, meaning that the other Zelda games take place after WW. Which is why it's odd that there is a kakariko etc. in LTTP. The lost woods btw pretty obviously became forest haven/forbidden woods.

James macloud

Smash Journeyman
your wroung

ww is not the same link he die like over 100 years ago. apart from links awakaning there is no other story that works. i think that all the storys fit in after majoras mark where link is just adventuring looking of navi and siria. plus the is a ww 2 schedualed (info from some mag GC i think)

Yatta

Smash Rookie
I don't think all the games fit the whole storyline together but here's my guess how the games that follow eachother up goes:

OOT, since this explains how it started.
MM (I haven't played it myself but for reasons stated by other people).
Wind Waker, for obvious reasons.

This is at least the beginning of the timeline. I believe that some stuff happens (maybe explained in this new game?) and then comes A Link to The Past since it is said that you play with the ancester of the Link of the first Zelda (It's on the backside of the game case if I'm correct).
Since Ganon dies here the Oracle games come right after it since the Triforce is still complete and the evil guys are trying to revive Ganon.
Then comes Link's Awakening since at the end of the Oracle game's full ending you see Link going away on a ship (I don't think this can go after Wind Waker since it's not the dragon boat Link is on).

This leaves us with Zelda 1 and 2, in which 2 is probably after 1 from what I heared (I havenn't played Zelda 2).
The problem is how the heck did Ganon get back again in Zelda 1
:confused:

James macloud

Smash Journeyman
personaly

some how i still think gandorf is links farther. since in oot links mother dumps him in the forest cuz shes escaping from the war between Basicly (ganondorf and the hyrule king) ok. i was hoping they might slip this in some where. it also kinda explains why link can control the power of the gods in mm as ganondorf was able to do it in oot and a few other links (ganon!).

The rAt

Smash Ace
Okay, now i can confidently say tha Gannondorf is NOT Link's father. For one thing Gannondorf is a Gerudo and Link is a Hylian. These are two different "species" as much as Zoras and Kokiri are different "species". If Link were half Gerudo, he'd look a lot different than he does. Secondly, he couldn't be half Gerudo because a new male Gerudo is born only every 100 years, and I'm willing to bet that Gannondorf had not been around 100 years before Link from OoT was born. Also, there's some mention of OoT Link's father somewhere in the account of the Imprisoning or Seven Year War i think. I'd have to dig it up from the Legend of Zelda Continuity/Timelines thread, and i really don't feel like it right now. You know... now that i think about it... if that old thread is still around, wouldn't it make more sense to move some of these debates over there? I mean just for lack of convenience in seeing what's already been discussed/proven/unproven/debated? Call me lazy, but it just seems more convienient...

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I think you miss read the comic book. I have it at home and it clearly shows Link and his father. And trust me that is not Ganondorf. Also Link's father got killed in that comic by an axe in his shoulder.

Ganon963

Smash Rookie
*watches trailer again....and again......and again.......and again......and again*

*jaw drops*

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! I'd kill for this game!!!!

*takes out knife and runs*

gareths23

Smash Apprentice
I'm still thinking about what the sub title will be, most would think thats its got something to do with horses, but I'm thinking that it would be too ovious, I think it may be about some magical artifact again, just look (and yes, I'm pointing out the ovious)

Zelda I- Ummm, this game had no story
Zelda II- Soz, I have yet to play these games
ALTTP- Oh man, I'm hopeless
LA- Wasent it somekind of giant egg? I'm such a nooB
Oot-Ocarina of time
MM-Ocarina of time/Majora's mask
OoA- Harp of ages
OoS- Rod of seasons
WW- The wind waker
FS/A- The four sword

So there you have it, arn't ya glad I didn't add those CD-i games?
This makes me think that Nintendo is hiding something, maybe they want to surprise up once again? Rather than proving true something alot of us thought.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Ryuker
You are right about deku buttlers son but it wouldn't matter much for the story line anywayz.
NP actually made confirmation about that who the Butler's Son was.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Originally posted by gareths23
I'm still thinking about what the sub title will be, most would think thats its got something to do with horses, but I'm thinking that it would be too ovious, I think it may be about some magical artifact again, just look (and yes, I'm pointing out the ovious)

Zelda I- Ummm, this game had no story
Zelda II- Soz, I have yet to play these games
ALTTP- Oh man, I'm hopeless
LA- Wasent it somekind of giant egg? I'm such a nooB
Oot-Ocarina of time
MM-Ocarina of time/Majora's mask
OoA- Harp of ages
OoS- Rod of seasons
WW- The wind waker
FS/A- The four sword

So there you have it, arn't ya glad I didn't add those CD-i games?
This makes me think that Nintendo is hiding something, maybe they want to surprise up once again? Rather than proving true something alot of us thought.
Each game is called the Legend of Zelda. The only difference in the names are the subtitles, which are as follows:

The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The LEgend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords/Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

You're right in saying that each name has something to do with an important item or occurance in the game (except the first two, but they were really old with little to no proper storyline), but imo i think it's really far too early to be pondering about the title of the game.

Just because we've seen Link ride a horse (Epona or not) doesn't mean that it's going to be something about horses (It might be, who knows?). Don't forget that the game is 25% completed, and little to no informamtion has been revealed about the storyline. hings might even change, like some of the enemies we see Link fighting in the trailer might be removed from the final game.

BTW, i have no idea why i've never posted in this topic before. Oh well. I'm looking forward to this anyway, even though the trailer didn't really impress me.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
People! There's another topic for the Zelda timeline! Go look for it!

No new info, but I'm just here to report that the Legend of Zelda has knocked former top spot holders for EGM's Top Ten Most Wanted (you know, the ones the fans vote on) Halo 2 and MGS3 to claim the top on its first month! In fact, Nintendo controls around six spots on the countdown with GCN and a DS game (Hunters).

Must be a lot of Zelda fans that read EGM.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just have to pipe up for a minute... For those of you who think WW follows OoT: How can this be if at the end of WW...

The King clearly states that Link and Tetra's(Zelda's) new land will NOT be the new Hyrule. This is why many people think it is followed by the Oracles.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't really see why we can't talk about the timeline in this topic. It does directly relate to the upcoming Zelda, and the other topic is dead/inactive. Plus, there's nothing else to really talk about concerning this Zelda so the timeline discussion will help keep it bumped towards the top so it's right there when actual information comes up that we can talk about.

Anyway...

Wind Waker follows OOT because a) it talks about the hero of time and b) there are many references to OOT, such as the sages and whatnot. I think that's a given, pokemonmaster. Everyone knows it goes OOT --> MM --> WW, it's just figuring out where the other games go.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Giygas
b) there are many references to OOT, such as the sages and whatnot.
I think the Sages are what really give it away. There's actual pictures of all the Sages from OoT in WW. That could only happen if, sometime after Ocarina of time, the king put that room there and surrounded it with stained glass windows of the Sages.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Yeah, plus the statue of OoT Link. Come to think of it though I think that LTTP may occur inbetween them, a few subtle clues seem like it may be possible. Hyrule Castle in WW is in the middle of a lake, like the opening shot from LTTP not like OoT's castle with a small moat. As I already said, WW destroyed a lot of OoT's connections to LTTP...Ganon being sealed inside the sacred realm, the sages putting him there(LTTP says 7 wise men but it could easily mean the same thing). But then at the end of LTTP everything seems to go back to normal, the king is also there. At the begining of LTTP it shows the king dead so maybe using the power of the triforce Link made it as though that entire series of events had never occured?(thus there being no legend about him). The only confusing thing that arises from this is that WW seems to make more sense of why the Hylians of OoT were a ancient unknown race in LTTP, because the earth flooded and a lot of information on them was lost.

Another possibility is that the theory of the dimension split when you open the door of time is correct and that LTTP as well as MM are on the other branch.

Trying to make sense of the Zelda timeline is perhaps impossible however, the more solutions to plot holes you come up with the more you create...

Anyway, I hope this game is more like MM in a few ways...not a lot of people liked it but I think it was a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by Kid Icarus
possibly fake images
PROBABLY ARE fake.
99.9% chance these are fake
Possibly? Probably? 99.9%? I hope to Din those are fake. They suck.

Anyway, I wish the game's graphics weren't so photo-realistic. It makes it too serious, like if you let Link die even once, then you have to start all the way over, from the opening scene of the game. I mean, even OoT was cartoony enough to let you know that if you died, you'd be just fine, and that you'd come right back to where you left off. In this game, I'd be dreading even getting a flesh wound.

Top Bottom