• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Sensai

Smash Master
Eh. I didn't wanna post in there 'cause it's so old and I figured it would get closed or something. But, alrighty then!

Stryks

Smash Hero
I found windwaker to be way easy, the bosses werent real challenging, and the boat riding pissed me off, tough I never finished it due to I had to return it back to my frien, but according to him I was close to finishing it... Sure Tp was easy, but I did get stuck like 5-10 times in the game, and with the game being way darker, I find it to better than WW...
Still OoT, it had great songs that I still humb every now and then, and the story, dungeons and bosses were simply awesome, but theres something that makes TP better IMO...

so: TP = OoT > WW IMO...

Stryks

Smash Hero
what majoras mask was incredibly awesome, the time thing, having only 4 days sucks, but the transformations, the stories, and being, IMO, a darker game than OoT, makes it a real contender for TP and OoT, its one of thos egame snot many played, but simply rocked...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Ohh I see how it is.

TP>OoT=MM>WW

What probably bothered me about WW was the infinite sea, and something about the enviorments. It looked nice, but there was something missing.... land? Room for roaming and finding a cave instead of finding a tiny island every 5 minutes? I can't split OoT and MM apart, as they both have their major points, despite length of the game. Maybe it's the Wii, maybe it's the look, maybe it's the fact I get a pony at the beginning of the game, but I heart TP. No doubt after playing these games through some more times, my overall opinion will change.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Wind Waker... Sure, it was easy, but that game had the best art style of any Zelda game, where I just found Twilight Princess to have a boring art direction. Gameplay was overall more fun for me in Wind Waker as well, with the controls being extremely fine tuned for the GameCube controller making it extremely easy to enjoy. Sure, most of the map was water, but I had much more fun sailing around in that water than riding Epona around Hyrule field. The towns as well as the enemies in Twilight Princess also felt like they lacked character compared to Wind Waker. And so many items were rarely used and just seemed tacked onto the game. In Wind Waker everything was there for a reason, I found myself smiling all the time while playing it and loved sailing around looking for the different islands. When you've been sailing for 10 minutes and finally come across that island you've been looking for? That was such a great feeling and I actually felt like I was exploring. Twilight Princess was more of "Hey, follow this road and it'll lead you directly to the town because we blocked off all the other paths." I just liked Wind Waker so much more, and I believe it's partially because Miyamoto wasn't behind Twilight Princess. Aonuma was behind this one (Miyamoto produced it, Aonuma was the director), and I really feel like I can tell it was made by someone different than Miyamoto.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Well unless you want to count Four Sword Adventures, one of those 4 great games for the consoles has to be last. It's not like my interest in each one is drastically different than the other; they each rank closely so it can be hard to call one winner. It's hard to say that *this Zelda game* ranks last when you see how much detail, care, and hard work the people put into each one. It's amazing as it stands that Zelda games have been able to stay fresh after all these years, a trait that few series can accomplish and maintain.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I kinda discovered a glitch today, I don't know if anybody has talked about it. So here it is, you know at the city in the sky at the part where you have to transform to go across the ropes? Well during that part there is a poe that you might come across and if you try to tear out it's soul and you fall off the ledge due to that, then you won't come back from the fall.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Well, I finished the game a few days ago, and I'm still coming to terms with it--I'm simultaneously impressed, but disappointed as well.

What made OoT so compelling was the mythology that it created. At the very beginning, you were introduced to Ganondorf and the game immediately established a sense of rivalry between Link and the villain. Everything Ganondorf did to screw over Hyrule made you hate him a little more, and portrayed him as a ruthless, bad*** menace. . .the way he killed the Deku Tree. . .the way in infiltrated Hyrule Castle to subdue it completely. . .all leading up to your first physical confrontation, when you face him as a kid, and he blows you away with his ball-of-energy-attack. Mind-blowing stuff.

What I'm saying is that OoT managed to establish an epic mythology by creating a villain that you were emotionally invested in, and created this rivalry between Hero and Villain very early on in the game. This made the end bossfight, and resulting payoff, extremely satisfying.

On the other hand, you have TP. What disappointed me was that there was never any
effort to establish a mythology. The Triforce was only very briefly mentioned in passing. Ganondorf himself didn't physically appear until mid-late game. The epic world and intense rivalry between Hero and Villain was reduced to a very subdued and lackluster Hero-chosen-by-fate-needs-to-save-the-world-again storyline.

Meh. In any case, I have to admit that the end of the game was absolutely fantastic. Double Clawshots are absolutely incredible. And the very last swordfight with Ganondorf--especially the context A button game where you pushed him back with your sword--
was quite possibly the biggest fantasy fulfillment that any Zelda fan could ever hope to experience.

But in the end, I still think that OoT > LA > LttP > TP > WW > MM > crappy GB/GBA Zelda games.

Sensai

Smash Master
People actually compare Link's Awakening to the console giants?

Tell me it ain't so!

[Edit:]

Cashed, I know exactly what you mean concerning TP's linear...ness. It is much more straight foward then I like my Zelda games to be, but it still delivered.

I mean, there are a lot of sidequests and minigames etc, you just have to wait until a certain point to play them.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Eh, on the topic of which game was best, my opinion is like this...

OoT > TP > MM = WW > LttP

I haven't played the others too extensively, so I can't say anything on them. Really, all the games I played would be considered the best of their time. Majora's Mask was freaking awesome because of how different it was, and Wind Waker was a beautiful game with the most epic ending fight of all time.

However, TP is still awesome. I agree that it does seem too linear, and maelstrom's description of the hero/villain complex is something I totally agree with. However, despite its linearness, the introduction of Midna, the Wolf aspect, and the new style makes me appreciate it a bit more. I still consider it a must have.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Sensai, LA is usually considered to be incredible mostly because of the self-referential humor (appearances of goombas, chain-chomps, homages to AoL with horizontal side-scrolling), incredible items (Roc's Feather), and excellent dungeon design. . .and all of this despite being on a GB cartridge. In all honesty, LA is as deep and challenging as LttP, only shorter. Personally, they rank about the same in my book.

Master WGS, the wolf thing was pretty poorly done. Being a wolf felt extremely limiting and frustrating since there were limited battle tactics and the inability to use items. This basically meant that time spent as a wolf was shallow and unfulfilling, especially compared to your human form.

Okami pulled off being a wolf soooooo much better. Peeing on your enemies? Priceless.

Sensai

Smash Master
Malestrom, you point out something concerning being a wolf that interests me. Like you, I felt that being a wolf was irritating and much MUCH prefferred being a human. Digging was useless, although it could've been done very nicely.

Anyways, the thing that intrigues me is this: did Nintendo mean to make being a wolf frustrating?

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Being a wolf was fun at first (before you got the 7 awesome special moves), but pretty much as soon as Human Link gets the finishing move, being a Wolf becomes frustrating (whenever you knock an enemy down, you have to wait for them to get up?!?!?!?!). If they had included special moves for the wolf, and better use of howling (ie: being able to howl the Sun's Song or whatever), then being a wolf would have been fun throughout the game.

Also, I defy any Zelda fan to find a cooler item than the Cane of Somaria. It makes a giant orange block. WHY have I not seen this in any 3D Zelda? Do you know how much cooler the Cane of Somaria would have been in 3D? An entire D better, god****it!!! *block*, *no block*, *block*, *no block*, *block.........

FireBomb

Smash Lord
^^^Totally, that AND Roc's Feather/Cape. Jumping in 3-D would have changed the entire structure of dungeons and get me out of hopeless situations more than once. The jump attack would have been pretty awesome to use, not to mention powerful.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think that functionally the block wand and roc's feather would have been extremely similar- climbing a block you made=jump, and I'm sure you could put blocks into pits to equal jumping over. In fact, I would give the edge to the wand, in use terms, because it is more versatile. However, I think the inclusion of either one in a 3D Zelda would kinda break the game, since a lot of it revolves around finding ways to move vertically.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I admit, the wolf stuff was pretty shallow compared to being human, but it was still something different. Also, did anyone else not like how they actually called Link a human? I always liked the thought of Link being something... else... Like some sorta elf or something. Idunno, I just sorta wished they would have said "Original Form" or something.

Cane of Somaria and Roc's Feather are two of the items I really miss from the old days. Also, the cape on LttP that made you invisable. That'd be pretty cool.

Volrec

Smash Lord
Going back to TP:

I am up to the part where
Zant does some **** and puts Midna through twilight, link ends up as a wolf, i have to hurry to the princess castle

I never pay attention. Who the **** is
zant?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I actually disagree. Playing as a wolf was rather fun. Combat was rather shallow, but you just needed to do your AOE move with Midna to kill anything in your circle. I never really used the "Jump and bite" move. Though I enjoyed all of the jumping moves you did, especially when you had to time it.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I can't understand why the wolf was really integrated into the game. Mostly, it felt like the developers were forcing wolf parts onto us, just so they could say "yep, the wolf is still useful. Sort of." And after that, we spend about 8 hours playing as a human. Great job, NoA staff.

Eorlingas, I probably feel differently mostly because Okami pulled off the whole wolf thing a lot more effectively. In Okami, you have a huge number of attack options, as well as different equippable weapons. You also have different special abilities. Like pissing on your enemies. Basically, being a wolf in Okami was enjoyable, instead of a chore, like in TP.

Although, to be fair, wolves are hot. In any game.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
All I have to say is whoever decided fishing to be a necessary part of the game is probably seriously ********. I didn't figure out in time what to do with those gay reeking fish, so it jumped back into the water, and I've spent hours at a time trying to catch another. Man that was probably the gayest idea EVER.

Volrec

Smash Lord
In a Zelda night, I got up to:

I just beat some skeleon dragon looking head. the spinner is fun as a mother****er

OMG, THE
INSTANT MORPH FEATURE YOU GET IS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!! I ****ING LOVE IT. Instant morphing is freaking awesome

FireBomb

Smash Lord
One bad thing about the
instant morphing is the fact that Link HAS to go into wolf form in order to warp, then you have to manually change into a human again every single time. I hated that, and there was really no point seeing how I never stay a doggie for more than 10 seconds by the time I learn it.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
So I just beat the second dungeon, the
Goron Mines and I was amazed. It was a decent dungeon until I got to the magnets. When I was first sucked up and began to walk on the ceiling I was speechless. It was so different and sweet, it was great. The miniboss owned me before I realized it was kind of like fighting Bowser (grab and throw!). The boss was so-so, it took way too long to get it to where you could hit his eye and I was kind of bad with my aim. I was also kind of mad that the Gale Boomerang wasn't really useful for anything in this dungeon.

I have one question about after that dungeon.
Am I able to get the second finishing move now? I howled at the stone when I was in wolf form and got the wolf face on my map afterwards. Now I come back as a human and (seemingly) can't do anything.

If you can give me information on this question without spoiling anything for me that's about to come, put "Osco:" and then in spoiler tags the information. If not, put "Osco: You can't get it now" or "Osco: Telling you would spoil something"

Thanks.

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
One bad thing about the
instant morphing is the fact that Link HAS to go into wolf form in order to warp, then you have to manually change into a human again every single time. I hated that, and there was really no point seeing how I never stay a doggie for more than 10 seconds by the time I learn it.
It's not that bad... And hey, it beats riding Epona all throughout the land to get to the destination. Though it is sometimes fun just to ride around on Epona, thrashing everything in the way.
:grin:

Edit: and Osco,
Have you tried going to the destination yet? I think it's at some spring. If you can't find the golden wolf, just look around closely. It took me awhile for the golden wolves..

Sensai

Smash Master
So how long you guys figure until the Zelda storylines rival that of Final Fantasy's? If ever?

I just want a Zelda game that'll make me wanna watch a movie about it. I want a Zelda that makes me WANT to play it again, just to understand the nuances of the story...

And Volrec, I liked that boss, too.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I don't believe we'll ever see stories as deep or with a love story involved in Zelda games unless Square Enix takes over for them. They have they ability to make multiple great stories in the games over and over again. Zelda games take the same base storyline and sew together another story that somehow all fits in the end. The main character not talking would normally weaken a story, but we all know Link good enough that he doesn't need to. Even in the NES days, Final Fantasy was a compelling virtual storybook as well as having solid gameplay tied in. I don't think Zelda games will reach the storytelling status of Final Fantasy any time soon. Not like it makes it any worse, gameplay is more enjoyable in Zelda anyways which is why I'd prefer it better.

Movies... that's what some games are becoming. Not the transaction to a movie in a theater, but the actual games are almost like movies. Final Fantasy knows no bounds. My absent little kid mind used to think of RPGs and adventure games like that for a time. "Don't forget to watch (play) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time from 8 to 9, every weekday here on channel AV Video Output!" *siiigh* Down the abyss and back again...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Movies... that's what some games are becoming. Not the transaction to a movie in a theater, but the actual games are almost like movies.
With "normal" gaming, I agree. Games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas feel like movies, with how pretty the graphics are, how the story is set up and how the cutscenes are executed to tell the story. Gears moreso than anything else I've ever played. I don't particularly like the multiplayer in Gears, but the single player was so enjoyable to play because it felt so much like a movie. Now that I have an HDTV, I need to give it another play through so full enjoy it I feel.

[/offtopic]

Top Bottom