• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Zink

Smash Champion
No, it wouldn't. One game, one console. Or one game, one console, and added features on the other console. I think that is the plan.

Zink

Smash Champion
Well, Tales of Symphonia was two disks. It was one of those mega-huge RPGs though. And I don't think there were any problems.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I've played that but it took me like 55 hours to get through the first disk and like 10 hours on the second to beat the game. Now I didn't look for everything but i felt being promised 80 hours of gameplay, I felt shorthanded. The first timed RPG I played was Chrono Cross and litterly took me 2 days to complete and I felt like that was alot.

Zink

Smash Champion
It all depends, cuz there are 2 story paths and like 15 major sidequests like the Coloseum plus like 6000 extra things. Just beating the game is not to lengthly.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's usually the case that the second disk is shorter than the first. Developers squeeze as much as they can of the game into the first disk, and then whatever it leftofer goes onto the second. Resident Evil 4 was like that: Parts 1 and 2 (village/castle) of the game were on Disk 1, and Part 3 (island) was on the last disk.

If you want a lengthy 2-disk RPG, try Baten Kaitos. That game clocked in for me at over 60 hours without finding everything (the back cover actually tells you that it gives ya 60 hours of gameplay).

With Twilight Princess said to have 70 hours of gameplay and the amount of space the game world will take up, it wouldn't surprise me to see it on 2 disks.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Gorons.......zzzzzzzz....what? Oh...yeah.

I would be surprised when I open my package to find 1 disk.

Will link have anyother special besides the downstab, like the multi-stab or the upstap? How about the mid-air spinning attack?

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
I don't know but just you saying that is making me so happy. Downstab? Wtf so awesome. I can't wait for this freaking game.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I know the Downstab is in this (or Sword Planter for SCII players) from seeing trailers. Only once I saw the attack but it was cool! Link was caught in webbing and this spider started to crawl on him. Then he did his spin attack, knocked back the spider, lept in the air and sunk his sword right into the spiders stomach! So cool! I'd really would want to have the Shadow of Illusions Stab (the Multi Stab) in this game. I wonder if that would be a Rev feature where you would poke rapidly to activate the attack? Or how about spinning the controller while tossing it into the air to make him spin in mid-air and float up-wards?

Zink

Smash Champion
OK guys, a worrying fact: I just checked the Nintendo website, and the release date for TP now says "2006". Uh-oh. That could be anything. If they are going to delay, you would think they would make an official announcement. In th latest Nin Power, they said nothing, just had the usual interview with a programmer. No release info.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Mic_128 said:
Nope, it's still GC, just is being made to have extra bells and whistles when played on the Rev.
But they also said originally that MP:H would absolutely not use the WFC, and plenty of other examples that I just can't think of off the top of my head where Nin said something that was supposedly carved in stone, then later got out the sledgehammer. I'm not saying I really think TP will be on the Rev, but even after E3, I'm not making any leaps of faith.

BTW, what did nin.com say before for TP's release date? Now I'm thinking that they didn't really know how long adding in the extra content would take, and just gave a date to prevent rioting.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Oh man, that's so lame. That's like, August to October, right? Jeez, if pre-order deposits garnered interest, my 10 dollars would probably pay it off by the time it gets released xD j/k. But seriously, this has got to be at least a year it's been delayed now and is probably going to be even longer until it gets to Aus. Ah well, more time to pay it off, I guess.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Just outta curiousity, how many of you are going to trust what Nintendo says after this? Ever? Seems that most of Nintendo's revenue on the Cube comes from devoted fans from previous systems, and they're going to need that strong fanbase to make the Revolution suceed (even if its better than all the other systems, let's face it, Nintendo's marketing techniques will screw them over until everyone figures that out by word of mouth). I guess pissing off the fanbase by announcing a fan favorite, then delaying it for a year, probably wasn't that smart, was it?

Andy

Zink

Smash Champion
Yay rat's back! :)
I see what you mean... although I think they just messed up one game. Maybe they found a basic programming error or something.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They also said that Mario 128 was definetly, 100% going to be shown at E3 2004. I thought it looked prettycool.

Oh...waitaminute.....

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
The rAt said:
Just outta curiousity, how many of you are going to trust what Nintendo says after this? Ever? Seems that most of Nintendo's revenue on the Cube comes from devoted fans from previous systems, and they're going to need that strong fanbase to make the Revolution suceed (even if its better than all the other systems, let's face it, Nintendo's marketing techniques will screw them over until everyone figures that out by word of mouth). I guess pissing off the fanbase by announcing a fan favorite, then delaying it for a year, probably wasn't that smart, was it?

Andy
Well, I'll just quote myself for a response, because I'm feeling really lazy right now.

myself said:
Mic_128 said:
Nope, it's still GC, just is being made to have extra bells and whistles when played on the Rev.
But they also said originally that MP:H would absolutely not use the WFC, and plenty of other examples that I just can't think of off the top of my head where Nin said something that was supposedly carved in stone, then later got out the sledgehammer. I'm not saying I really think TP will be on the Rev, but even after E3, I'm not making any leaps of faith.

BTW, what did nin.com say before for TP's release date? Now I'm thinking that they didn't really know how long adding in the extra content would take, and just gave a date to prevent rioting.
So basically, Nin will have to go a long way to earn my trust again. But I'm naturally distrustful of corporations anyway, so I guess that's a never.

BTW, Mic, sorry, that wasn't quite what I meant when I asked about nin.com.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I just saw the 30 minute TP video (that got closed) and I am now even more impressed - although the guy playing it sucks ;). I especially like how in the beginning, Link isn't automatically a hero, as opposed to in Majora's Mask where your first experience is running through a dark chamber chasing Skull Kid, or Occarina, where you overslept and mystical fairies come and fetch you're omnipotent self. I like the new whirlwind boomerang mechanic, and I can see it making a large impact on the next Smash Bros. game as well. Now we just have to wait (and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait) and see.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Thats the same as the one IGN has had up for 10 months

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
No, it really is the exact same video. Down to every single word. Its 10 months old.

Edit: http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/vids_6.html

There are the links. It is divided up, but I know that somewhere on that site there is an overall version of it, since its been on my computer since March. Your video just cuts out 30 seconds of them talking to eachother in the very begining.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Bread-Butterer said:
My initial thread was titled "incase you haven't seen it"

Not to mention it's a lot easier to view using google video.

Just trying to help.

My bad, then. Sorry

The rAt

Smash Ace
Well, I've got an incredibly short period of time to write this, and I've always been bad with posting links, so just go to Planetgamecube.com and follow the link on the main page; we've got confirmation that Twillight Princess will be playable on the Revolution controller. I've got some definite oppinions about this, which I'll post later.

Andy

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You could just have copy-pasted. like this.

Shiggy himself said:
"I would say that we are progressing well with completing [Twilight Princess]," Miyamoto said. "And one of the most important features is that, because Revolution can run GameCube software, when you play Twilight Princess on Revolution you can take advantage of the Revolution controller."

The rAt

Smash Ace
Mic, by now you should know I never do anything the easy way.

Anyhow, I think we have sufficient information to infer that this is the reason behind the game being pushed back to fall. It would explain why Nintendo announced the game quite some time before it was to be released, they probably weren't planning on including this feature until they were well into development.

Not to rip on the idea of making Gamecube games compatable with the Rev controller, but its a terrible reason to delay a game, especially one as highly anticipated as Zelda. For one thing, it steals the thunder from the next Zelda game. Why? Well, as I see it, the whole point of this new controller is change. No joystick, few buttons, this controller seems to cater to the whole first person control scheme and camera view. Of course that won't be true of all games, but the point is there will likely be changes, simply because I see no way many of the games on Gamecube can be played they way they currently are using the Rev controller. Well, how does this apply to Zelda? One word; change. Let's face it, after its transition to the Revolution, there will be change in the Zelda series. If I remember correctly, Shiggy even said something to that effect awhile back. That means that with the next Zelda game, Nintendo's got a chance, the excuse, the invitation to reinvent Zelda gameplay. The next game could very well be a whole new experience. One problem. If you can play Twillight Princess on the Rev controller, they've already had to invent that system and put it in place for TP. Thunder effectively stolen.

Maybe I'm still sore about having to wait until Fall for a game I should have been playing, at the very least, weeks ago. But at the very least, this is potentially a very stupid decision on Nintendo's part, but at this point I'm only angry when I think about it and I've gotten very good at repressing my rage and taking it out on small animals such as ducks, and I believe that at the very least Nintendo is making some very stupid choices.

End of rant.

On the upshot I've just dumped all of my rage upon the poor innocent bystanders of this forum, and I can now go write a happy story about fluffy pink bunnies and bright colorful rainbows for my creative writing class. I'm hope that makes everyone's day. Later.

Andy

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
This is stupid. They delayed the game so that people who buy the game will be disadvantaged and miss out on something if they don't have a Revolution. I suppose it is a valid marketing scheme, but by the time it is released, the only people who will still be waiting for this game will be the devoted fans, who will all be buying Revolutions anyway. I always hated those gameboy connection extra bits, although I guess they didn't really contribute to the games, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of role the Revolution controller will have.

Alternatively, Shiggy could just mean that the game will be playable with the new controller, but in the same old conventional way, with the analogue stick extension; like just a gimmick, and the game has been delayed for another reason.

And like the rAt said, introducing new controls now would really spoil it for the next Zelda.

This sucks.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
umm.. how about no.

THink about. everyone was psyched for TP right? when it didn't have rev functionality.

This is basically saying, you're still gonna get everything you've been looking forward too, but people who buy a Rev will have an alternative control scheme.

THe only downside is the extra wait, but its not like playing on teh cube will be lacking anything.

If you were satisfied with no rev compatibility there's no reason to say the compatibility sucks other than some extra wait.

Its a smaryt marketing strat for nintendo, because it provides an extra incentive to buy the Rev while at the same time making sure people who don't intend to get a Rev will still havbe tons of resons to buy this game. Honestly, despite how pissed you are at the wait, does that mean you're going to boycott TP? THink again.

Oh and on a side note, if you truly are a nintendo fan, then I'm sure you should've seen the delays coming along time ago. I know I did, but I didn't care.

Also what if Nintendo had orignally said they'd be releasing it this Nov, and then when this announcement happened, do you think you'd say **** Nintendo, we could've got this earlier, if you hadn't added the stupid rev functionality? No, you'd say oh cool, if I ever get a Rev I'll have more reasons to play this game more.

In conclusion, no matter how much you whine now, you'll still purchusing this game in Nov. Meaning you should shut up.

Not to rip on the idea of making Gamecube games compatable with the Rev controller, but its a terrible reason to delay a game, especially one as highly anticipated as Zelda. For one thing, it steals the thunder from the next Zelda game. Why? Well, as I see it, the whole point of this new controller is change. No joystick, few buttons, this controller seems to cater to the whole first person control scheme and camera view. Of course that won't be true of all games, but the point is there will likely be changes, simply because I see no way many of the games on Gamecube can be played they way they currently are using the Rev controller. Well, how does this apply to Zelda? One word; change. Let's face it, after its transition to the Revolution, there will be change in the Zelda series. If I remember correctly, Shiggy even said something to that effect awhile back. That means that with the next Zelda game, Nintendo's got a chance, the excuse, the invitation to reinvent Zelda gameplay. The next game could very well be a whole new experience. One problem. If you can play Twillight Princess on the Rev controller, they've already had to invent that system and put it in place for TP. Thunder effectively stolen.
None of the game mechanics will be changed, so w/e is on the GC is on the Rev.

A rev zelda will be designed with the rev controller from the start, not just a different way to control thrown in at the last second. Hence, it will most likely play very differently.

Not to mention, the next Zelda would still be a huge success even if you're right about the hype being down. There would still be massive sales. SCIII is the same control setup as SCII, doesn't stop people from going crazy over it. In reality, it doesn't matter even if the next LoZ isn't the first Rev zelda, it'll still make its way into most Rev owners' homes.

Thunder remains.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
My problem with it is that we're waiting for something we don't really need. The game was delayed to add Rev controller functionality. If history repeats itself we would have seen two Rev Zelda games anyway. The extra year just wasn't worth the wait. Incentive? Anyone who was planning on buying TP was probably going to buy a Rev anyways.

I was originally planning on buying TP last Novemebr. With the PS3,Rev coming out and SSB slated as a launch title, I don't know if I will be buying Zelda this Fall. Next year? Maybe if I still care.

Top Bottom