• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Zink

Smash Champion
Was that sarcasm? I don't think I've ever gotten approval from more than one person. :dizzy:
I just thought it would make a nice change, and having Link fight G-dorf AND Twilight means you would have to alternate sections or make two stories. Either way the storyline gets shot to heck.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
?
Not necessarily.
After all, I don't think Ganon wants Hyrule destroyed.
What I meant was that since it's Zelda, the writing would have to be better in order for such a thing to be acceptable. Sonic games aren't known for their great stories, so it's passable. But with Zelda, such a stunt would only fly if it was written well.

TeH PwNx0rZ

Smash Apprentice
Ganon doesn't really care about the world, he just wants to rule it. But, in order to have the pwoer he needs, he needs the triforce shards. I think that he'll just have slaves built a castle for him or something like that...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
?
Not necessarily.
After all, I don't think Ganon wants Hyrule destroyed.
He definetly doesn't want it destroyed. What was he going to use the Triforce for in WW? To drain the water away and have Hyrule once again awaken. You can't rule over what doesn't exist.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pecisely. Same reason why Robotnik helped Sonic save Mobius (that's right, MOBIUS, not earth) in Sonic Adventure 2. I'm always for the greater evil in a game series. Like Smithy in Mario RPG, or the main villain of Paper Mario 2.
I'm thinking that Nintendo may have plans for something like that in this one. But who knows? Maybe Ganon will just be really kick-***.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
This thread would be so awesome if people actually came up with good ideas. Ganon teaming up with Link? Sweet. Then they can go after the evil that doesn’t exist and beat the **** out of Zelda.

You don’t THINK Ganondorf wants to destroy the earth/Hyrule? No ****. Can’t anybody just leave a good game alone? The more ideas that people in this thread talk about, the more I don’t want to play this game. It’s going to be a good, original Zelda game. Your wild little fantasies are not going to come true. ****.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sephiroth27 said:
Can’t anybody just leave a good game alone?
It’s going to be a good, original Zelda game.
So...it's going to be like all other Zelda games, yet still be original? I'd like to see that.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
What a terrible attitude, Sephiroth27.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am just completely psyched about TP. It's going to be incredible, no matter how different or what kind of fictional twists they pull. The fact that it's supposed to have more dungeons than any other zelda game is just wild. Anybody think it'll be a two CD set like RE4? I think I'm going to take the week off work that it's supposed to hit the stores :)

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it'd be two discs, it could get annoying. RE4 was heavy on voice acting, which can suck up disc space pretty well. TP doesn't have any voice acting, apart from the occasional grunts, so no need to worry about switching discs.

Sephiroth27, just because we are coming up with ideas and theories doesn't mean the game is ruined. They are just opinions. People like to speculate.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Sephiroth27 said:
This thread would be so awesome if people actually came up with good ideas. Ganon teaming up with Link? Sweet. Then they can go after the evil that doesn’t exist and beat the **** out of Zelda.
Have you seen any of the trailers? There's this funky thing called the Twilight that makes everything around it gray and ashen, and monsters fall out of the sky ("We must tell the Princess!" Sorry, couldn't resist.) So far it doesn't appear to be Ganondorf's doing, but you said...
The more ideas that people in this thread talk about, the more I don’t want to play this game. It’s going to be a good, original Zelda game. Your wild little fantasies are not going to come true. ****.
And ideas people post in this thread directly affect the game itself, the original Zelda game, of which over ten have been made, and Link turns into a wolf in every one of them, right?

BTW, Zink, your team-up idea sounds very plausible, or maybe substituting Midna for Zelda, because except for some concept art of Zelda holding a sword, she hasn't looked very active so far; and just so you know, I'm not being sarcastic.

Link to the past

Smash Apprentice
i've been waiting for this game ever since it didn't have a second name when this game finaly comes out and i beat it i'll die a very very happy men I I just want to cry :cry:

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, you've got a negative attitude up there, buddy. The whole point is that we're having fun speculating.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a bland, old Zelda game. I want a GOOD, captivating story that catches me by surprise. I want evolved gameplay. I refuse to settle for an Ocariuna of Time par storyline after all of the hype they've put us through.

No way, Jose. Or Joselita, as the case may be.

I don't want Ganon to be the main evil for the sake of being evil. That's dumb, and cliche, and it gets old.
I like those cases like Majora's Mask, where you get this evilevil villain, but he's evil for a reason.

The Twilight may be Ganon's doing, but it WOULD be amazing if we were caught by surprise to see a new villain.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Ditto, to a "T". DS, you are a man (or possibly woman, like you just said) after my own heart. And it really looks like we're not getting the same old story. OoT was in a sense cliche when it comes to plot, chars and their development, etc., but it was the first 3-D Zelda, so it didn't seem cliched at all. And I'm hoping also that the Twilight attacks Ganon, also, just because I want to see a new side to the char that shows what happens when he's under attack, we've never seen that before. I want to see what he does when he's cornered, defenseless, powerless or helpless. Turning into Pig-Ganon while in the Twilight being beyond his control would be perfect for that. It really seems the word "revolution" fits even the Cube's last hurrah quite nicely, too.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Hey, I want a “captivating” and interesting storyline as well. Guess what? That would make it ORIGINAL. Having a game that is ORIGINAL means that it has a new storyline, plot, characters, setting, events etc. So, by saying Ganondorf teams up with Link would indeed be original, it would nevertheless be idiotic. That is why I said I wanted a GOOD, original Zelda game. You must have thought original meant “same-old, same-old.” My attitude is fine. I just get angered easily when people come up with ideas that are not even worth contemplating about.

Link to the past

Smash Apprentice
Destiny Smasher said:
Yea, you've got a negative attitude up there, buddy. The whole point is that we're having fun speculating.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a bland, old Zelda game. I want a GOOD, captivating story that catches me by surprise. I want evolved gameplay. I refuse to settle for an Ocariuna of Time par storyline after all of the hype they've put us through.

No way, Jose. Or Joselita, as the case may be.

I don't want Ganon to be the main evil for the sake of being evil. That's dumb, and cliche, and it gets old.
I like those cases like Majora's Mask, where you get this evilevil villain, but he's evil for a reason.

The Twilight may be Ganon's doing, but it WOULD be amazing if we were caught by surprise to see a new villain.

well if it helps you sleep at night Ages and Seasons and Links Awakening and finaly The Adventure of Link Zelda II all had different villains at the end so there is a chance that the villain might be different in tp. Only time will tell :)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, go fig.

You just have a bad attitude. You seem to act as if somehow you KNOW what the game will be. You don't. And us coming up with ideas isn't messing with the storyline at all, so get over it.

Guess what? A Final Fantasy game can have a completely original story, but that doesn't make it an original game, either. SSB games don't even HAVE storyline, but they can be more original than other games by their gameplay.

And just because YOU think an idea is ********, that doesn't mean everyone else should conform to your opinion. Why don't YOU give us a good idea of originality, then, since you somehow seem to know of some brilliant idea.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
EnigmaticCam said:
What a terrible attitude, Sephiroth27.
Destiny Smasher said:
Ni...

I agree with everyone else, Seph, but you really shouldn't bash everyone elses ideas just because or with such ill reasons. Thats is what a forum is for, to discuss ideas about a topic. Even i have idea that can meld well into the what everyone else has talked about.

I've read that it would be cool to see Ganondorf and Link team, right? Okay, then after all is said and done, Ganondorf goes nutso on Link! Two birds, one stone! Stops the Twilight crisis AND takes over Hyrule! Thats what I would do if I was the G-man.

Zink

Smash Champion
Deo ^ totally, execpt Gdorf might not describe himself as "nutso", lol.
OK new idea: Link and Gdorf team, but in the process of defeating Twilight, Dorf is sealed into the Sacred Realm again, blames Link, and swears revenge.
Sep27, you have incurred the wrath of Mic. I advise you to take cover.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Well, it appears that all of this dissent has driven me out of hiding. Or maybe it was just enough to distract me from my obnoxiously large homework load? Or perhaps nobody even cares that I'm posting and I'm wasting my breath with all of this unnecessary exposition?
In any case, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't really like the idea of Link and Ganon teaming up so much. It isn't because of the shift from the previously established 'normal' or that it strays away from the usual plot, actually those are reasons why I would have liked it. I think it could do wonders for the story. But we have more than the story to consider here; namely gameplay. This could very easily turn into a gimick for new and unnecessary game mechanics. I mean, if Link and Ganon are truly teaming up, then Ganon would have to physically be present with Link to help him along. Anyone smell a character shifting mechanic ala Medlii and Beano (er, whatever that little shrub's name was) in Wind Waker? Now personally, I hate having to keep track of one character in some of the larger environments, let alone two. I hate having to toggle between two fundamentally different control schemes, and I hate having to make sure I'm doing things in a very specific order. Thus, I absolutely hated that little bean plant, and would like to stay away from anything which is likely to favor such gameplay. IF, however, Ganon took on a Sheik-esque roll, where he shows up at opportune times to give a helpful item or grudgingly insightful piece of advice, I could see the concept having some merit.

All of this to say one thing; there are intelligent and valid viewpoints on both sides of the spectrum. This idea could revolutionize the Zelda series, but conversely it could destroy it. It's not out, it hasn't been done, all we have are our oppinions, and while we can critique them, we shouldn't insult each other's intelligence for which ideas we like. So, let's not stone Sephiroth27 for disagreeing with us. By the same token, Sephiroth27, don't be a *******. Let's all agree to get along and not attack people's character.

Wow... I feel like a mod... I'm gonna stop now...

Andy

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The rAt said:
In any case, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't really like the idea of Link and Ganon teaming up so much. It isn't because of the shift from the previously established 'normal' or that it strays away from the usual plot, actually those are reasons why I would have liked it. I think it could do wonders for the story. But we have more than the story to consider here; namely gameplay. This could very easily turn into a gimick for new and unnecessary game mechanics. I mean, if Link and Ganon are truly teaming up, then Ganon would have to physically be present with Link to help him along.
Not necessary. I highly doubt that the worst villian ever would go through a dungeon with Link, let alone be playable. More than likely, he'd give directions or perhaps help out in a boss fight only to turn on link afterwards or something. *shudder* I really don't want to see link like those 2 from WW.

Zink

Smash Champion
That's more what I expected, like maybe there are dungeons only Link can do and same for Gdorf, so he would show up at certain times... Medlii and BEANO!?!?!

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Actually, I'd imagine him being like Sheik along the way...MAYBE playable in some dungeons if he began tagging along somewhare around the middle. However, I don't think he would be teamed up with Link throughout the whole game. He'd probably only do it around the climax when the Twilight is culminating in vast, unimaginable power that can't be stopped any other way. For some reason though. I think it would be awesome if this version of Link died in a tragic scene around the end, and from there on you played as Ganondorf to defeat the twilight. Sort of like the Fierce Diey in MM. Maybe even double Wielding the Master sword and his own giant sword.

I just think it would make for a good show, as well as fit the story...and the legend of how a hero never showed up to stop Ganondorf from siezing Hyrule. I'm just having these vivid daydreams of how it would all go down.

But you know, I'm wondering if Nintendo might have had Twilight Princess in development since before Wind Waker, and only made Wind Waker as a side project so they could keep the public happy and make TP a secret project as they planned the perfect story and other aspects. And this might be how TP is able to have more dungeons than any previous game.

I'm sure everyone remembers those demo vids, and then the surprise revelation of WW that dragged everyone's expectations down, then it make the greatness of TP seem much better by comparison. And even if you look at it. WW is the mirrow of MM, another sort of offshoot from the roots. but maybe I'm over-analyzing.

But I think I just pushed everyone's tolerance of imagination with that whole, Link will die, idea. I'm not TRYING to start trouble, it's just a gift I have.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
^ Well, I would say you're overanalyzing a little bit, but then again, people tell me to stop doing that all the time practically, so I shouldn't start throwing stones. Your idea about Link dying is imaginitive, and there's nothing wrong with that, it would even tie together the WW and TP plots like you pointed out. However, I was going to say that I didn't think Ganondorf would playable in a team-up when that idea was first mentioned, or even go through dungeons with Link like those two dungeons in WW rAt mentioned. At the very most, he might just branch off from you in the dungeon, because I think working side by side would be too out of char. I'd thought of situation like the one with Sheik also, but more like they just call a temporary truce. That could be really interesting, because the story could go more in depth with Ganondorf's char than the previous games could, when we only saw him as an enemy, and not how he'd react when he's not the protagonist for once. However, I really think that you should NEVER play as Ganondorf, not to flame anyone's ideas, but I just think that should be one of the Seven Deadly Sins of Nintendo Gaming Development, to have Link die, and then have you play as Ganondorf, especially not with the Master Sword; it sounds like something cheap they would do if they just couldn't think of a better plot. Having Ganondorf use the MS to defeat the Twilight practically goes against the conventions of fantasy; there's something about that that to me is just plain wrong.

Okay, well, that was longer than I'd intended. Sorry about that. :dizzy:

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Mic_128 said:
Because they are long time enemies. That’s like saying Cloud and Sephiroth would team up. They HATE each other. Having the main hero and the main villain team up would be POINTLESS. There would be no evil to fight. Oh, and I don’t want anybody to say something like “Well there could be a new evil out there that they both don’t want.” No. If there is a new evil out there that would threaten the lives of Link and Zelda, I am certain Ganondorf wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Also, I have every right to bash the opinions of others because that’s MY opinion. Now, if I were to call someone stupid for their ideas, then THAT would be bad.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sephiroth27 said:
Because they are long time enemies. That’s like saying Cloud and Sephiroth would team up. They HATE each other. Having the main hero and the main villain team up would be POINTLESS. There would be no evil to fight.
The thing is, it seems there IS a new evil. This "Twilight" is transforming Hyrule's residents into animals. Zelda is trapped in there, the only one that has yet to change into an animal, due to the protection of her robe (from what I understand from trailers). How is Gannon going to get the Triforce if he goes in there and changes into an animal? He won't like that. One thing Gannon is, is power hungry. Taking out Link might be on his list, but he wouldn't kill him if it means he'll never get a hold of the last triforce piece. And I assume Cloud and Sephiroth would team up if the planet they're on is about to be destroyed.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Sephiroth27 said:
My attitude is fine. I just get angered easily when people come up with ideas that are not even worth contemplating about.
So since you didn't actually use the word "stupid", then what you said there is completely different, right? God, you have to be kidding me. And also, you couldn't have been reading most of these posts very closely, because most of what people have been saying is not along the lines of a campy Saturday morning superhero cartoon team-up. Most of the opinions posted here are just along the lines of Ganondorf and Link having a common enemy now, and are both going to fight it, which could be side-by-side or on different fields. What I'd like to see more than anything when it comes to this subject, which I'm repeating, but hopefully I have your attention now so you'll notice, is what Ganondorf does and how he reacts when he's no longer the protagonist, when he's under attack from someone else. A cutscene of him being forced to flee (something the char would probably never admit to), with the emotions of embarassment, anger, possibly even fear, showing on his face that this game is apparently going to portray quite well, would add a whole new level or dimension to the char that we haven't seen yet, almost starkly contrasting the Ganondorf in OoT.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Mic_128 said:
The thing is, it seems there IS a new evil. This "Twilight" is transforming Hyrule's residents into animals. Zelda is trapped in there, the only one that has yet to change into an animal, due to the protection of her robe (from what I understand from trailers). How is Gannon going to get the Triforce if he goes in there and changes into an animal? He won't like that. One thing Gannon is, is power hungry. Taking out Link might be on his list, but he wouldn't kill him if it means he'll never get a hold of the last triforce piece.
Being changed into an animal isn’t necessarily the works of a new evil force. If Ganondorf was an animal, it would just be an inconvenience for him to get the triforce, but I think he could do it. (Depending on what animal he actually is of course)

Mic_128 said:
And I assume Cloud and Sephiroth would team up if the planet they're on is about to be destroyed.
And I assume you’ve never played Final Fantasy 7.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Sephiroth27 said:
And I assume you’ve never played Final Fantasy 7.
And I assume you've NEVER played any of the Mario RPGs, in which Mario occasionally teams up with Bowser to fight a bigger evil? I think that works because in previous games you're always fighting with the same characters and looking at Bowser one-dimensionally. Bad or not, he's a cool character! The mario RPGs gave us a chance to use him and for once look at things through his perspective. The Link/Ganon thing would be the same. All of us are used to using Link to fight Ganon. Ganon's always been on the other end of the game. But if he's slightly playable in TP, I think it would make things interesting :)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Wow,
You can cut the tension with a Goron's knife in here. In retrospect, sorry for the bad analogy, but I couldn't resist. I am going to agree with most of what is being said about Ganon and Link teaming up. It goes back to the old saying; my enemy's enemy is my ally. Note, I didn't say 'friend', there's an important difference. Ganon can still hate the crap outta Link and still be forced to work with him. And there's the crux of it. Look at it from Ganon's POV. Right now, Twillight is the greater threat. So rather than a futile attempt at destroying it himself, it would be most advantageous for Ganon to team up with Link, gain his trust, make Link do all the work, then stab him in the back as soon as the Twillight is gone and take the Triforce. We aren't talking about a buddy-buddy relationship here, we are talking about Ganon twisting a bad situation for the maximum benifit for him, and the most logical way to do so would be to team up with Link. And what is more despicable than manipulating your most hated enemy into destroying the only true threat to you, then killing him as soon as his guard is down?

There is one flaw in this idea though; this is a new Link. Ganon has never met this Link. As likely as not, he's got no idea of the connection between this Link and any other Link. He may not even know if Link's got the triforce of courage. Heck, mabye Link doesn't even know, or doesn't even have it. To Ganon, Link may just be another pawn. Now as soon as Link gets ahold of the Master's Sword, the dynamic is going to change. But the point is, we don't know any of the details, and until we do, we can only speculate. As far as I can tell, the people who like the Ganon/Link team up are only attempting to find valid reasons as to why Link/Ganon could concievably team up, and whether or not we like such ideas, that does not mean they do not fit into the character.

I guess what I am saying is this; Sephiroth27, I seriously doubt anyone here believes that you shouldn't be able to think its a bad idea. And if they do believe that, then they are wrong. On the flip side, it sounds like you are insulting people's ideas and oppinions, which they have as much right to as you. Perhaps its your word choice, I don't know. But if you would like to avoid these conflicts in the future, perhaps you could more clearly state what you dislike about the idea without insinuating poor judgement on those that agree with it. Personally, I don't like the idea of a Ganon/Link team up either, but I respect those that do, because they've thought it out. Perhaps you could present an equally susinct and thought out explination as to why you think it would be a bad idea?

Let us remember that this is just a game. Albeit the latest in an amazing series of games, which I would hate to turn out to be anything but amazing, but still just a game. And people are more important than games. Except mabye Smash Bros...

Andy

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
EnigmaticCam said:
And I assume you've NEVER played any of the Mario RPGs, in which Mario occasionally teams up with Bowser to fight a bigger evil? I think that works because in previous games you're always fighting with the same characters and looking at Bowser one-dimensionally. Bad or not, he's a cool character! The mario RPGs gave us a chance to use him and for once look at things through his perspective.
Although you can argue that Bowser only joined up in Mario RPG to get his castle back: if Smithy landed anywhere else in the world, I don't think Bowser would have cared. And that's not even the best example that comes to my mind.

Spoilers!
Chrono Trigger anyone? Magus has to team up with Crono and the gang to fight Lavos, who is the greater evil.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sephiroth27 said:
Being changed into an animal isn’t necessarily the works of a new evil force. If Ganondorf was an animal, it would just be an inconvenience for him to get the triforce, but I think he could do it. (Depending on what animal he actually is of course).
Except that I'm willing to bet that when people turn into animals, they not just take on the form of the animal, but BECOME that animal, IE they'll act like the particular Animal. Minda probably gives Link some item so that he doesn't lose his mind when in the Twilight. If the twilight didn't mess up your mind, the Hylians could just walk out of the castle, Zelda included.

Top Bottom