• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, but...I dunno.

Why are we doing spoiler tags on a 10 year old game? Anyway, wasn't Magus trying to kill Lavos in the first place, and you guys stopped him? I actually didn't really see Magus as evil, just...disgruntled, maybe? Oh, well, been a long time, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway, it's not that Seph thought the idea was stupid that bugged me, it's how arrogant he was about it, telling us how stupid we are for trying to ponder the possibilities of the storyline.

I'm sorry, but as gorgeous as the graphics are, there BETTER be a good story behind it. I don't want to sigh and roll my eyes by the end of the game because it's cliche Zelda.
I want to be so impressed by this game that I don't think of Ocarine of Time, I think of THIS game when I hear 'Zelda.'
And that's a lot to ask for. And it's also what Nintendo has said they're striving for, and I'm assume it's why the game has been delayed.

Also, concerning that Rev. controller rumor...which has neither been confirmed nor denied...

I think it would be a REALLY good idea for Nintendo to invest in such an idea.
Send the game out in spring, let us all buy it and play it, but program into the disk information that is accessed when you put it in the Rev.

That way, we can play it with the new control scheme when the Rev. comes out.
Why?
So that we can truly compare the controls and see what Nintendo is getting at. I think it would be ingenious if Nintendo pulled it off right.

KillerPlacebos

Smash Cadet
This may already be known, but I was at the local game stores today: EB, Game Junkie, Game Stop, etc. They all had the release date as June 6th, and the people at EB and Game Junkie said that a Nintendo rep told them the game would Most Definately be out by June. I realize that games get held back even when the have a "supposed" set release date, but a man can dream can't he?

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Thank you thedocsalive for clearing up the whole Mario RPG thing. (Yes, I’ve played those games. You assumed wrong.)

Anyway, Destiny Smasher, I NEVER said anyone here was stupid.

I believe that Link, Ganondorf, etc, will have full control over themselves when/if they turn into an animal. That’s just my guess. Bash it if you want.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Considering we already know that you play continue to play as Link when he turns into a wolf, I would say that's a safe assumption.

Zink

Smash Champion
Here is something I can see happening. For maybe the first quarter/third of the game, Link and Gdorf are fighting Twilight independently. Then, Dorf becomes aware of Link and his goal, and approaches him with a proposal to fight together. This Link is new: in the other games there was someone to warn him of Gannon, but maybe not this time, so he has to form his own conclusions. Same goes for Dorf. It's possible the know nothhing of each other, and maybe Dorf even has an informational advantage.
Don't forget that while we have seen many shots of Link fighting Moblins and such, there are not many of him fighting Twilight creatures.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's true.

But that's because Nintendo hasn't shown us SQUAT of Link as a wolf yet, either. How would Link fight monsters in the Twilight Realm when he turns into a wolf upon entry?

I'm sure we'll learn more in a few months.

I'm just concerned, because I don't really think it would be good to simply delay the game AGAIN until the Rev. comes out later this year. Nintendo is gonna have a SERIOUS dry spell if they do that, from the looks of it. I'm still thinking my idea would work well for them--release it for GCN early, but give it added functionality for Rev.

And no, Seph, you didn't SAY anyone was stupid, but you did imply it with the tone of your post, that's all.

Heh. I'm actually not THAT concerned with the storyline right now. I'm much more concerned about release date and how intelligent it will be. :p Nintendo needs to make sure the game is perfect, and then they need to announce a GOOD release date that will please people, and THEN they need to STICK WITH IT and make sure the release runs smoothly and there's enough to go around.

Until Nintendo officially states a release, you can't trust any of those game retailers.

After all, even AFTER Nintendo's delay announcement, some were still saying November '05.
Goes to show how much THEY know.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Destiny Smasher said:
And no, Seph, you didn't SAY anyone was stupid, but you did imply it with the tone of your post, that's all.
I'm sorry you took it that way, but I didn't imply anything. This is just going to have to stop. People assumed things about me that were simply not true. I am free to express my opinion without making fun of people. Let’s move on.

I really can’t see Ganondorf teaming up with Link, but if by some chance that it happens, I will still respect it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
That's true.

But that's because Nintendo hasn't shown us SQUAT of Link as a wolf yet, either. How would Link fight monsters in the Twilight Realm when he turns into a wolf upon entry?
Huh? In one of the trailers it shows wolf Link fighting "aliens" with the assistance of Minda and a dash attack.

Zink

Smash Champion
The trailer packaged in Nintendo Power a while back showed Link as a wolf multiple times, and it was stated that you would hold a button to expand a circle around you, then release to auto-dash attack enemies in the circle. Reminds me a bit of the Wind Waker boomerang.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
thedocsalive said:
Although you can argue that Bowser only joined up in Mario RPG to get his castle back: if Smithy landed anywhere else in the world, I don't think Bowser would have cared. And that's not even the best example that comes to my mind.
Regardless of how or why Bowser joined with Mario, the fact is he did it and it's an example of when two enemies will join forces to beat a bigger evil. To argue that it's stupid for Link and Ganon to join forces because they're enemies is to ignore great games like the Mario RPG example I quoted. And I think it's a great example. However, Mario has always had a comical side to it, while the Legend of Zelda has always been more serious and mature. So most likely, if Ganan and Link teamed up, it would have more depth to it, and it wouldn't be for the entire game.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Sephiroth27 said:
LMFAO, that just proves how it ISN'T a good example.
And the rest of my post proves why it IS a good example. Try actually reading my posts instead of screening them for the parts you feel worth responding to.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
So, if part of it tells how it IS a good example, and another party tells how it ISN’T a good example, then your little argument with thedocsalive is POINTLESS. If you want to support your side of the topic, you shouldn’t be giving reasons that would help your “enemy.”

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Zelda has had it's comedic moments. In WW, link getting fired into the wall of Forsaken Fortress? And in OoT, when Link rescues Daruna and attempts to hug him and he runs off screaming.

Seems like a good example to me.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Sephiroth27 said:
So, if part of it tells how it IS a good example, and another party tells how it ISN’T a good example, then your little argument with thedocsalive is POINTLESS. If you want to support your side of the topic, you shouldn’t be giving reasons that would help your “enemy.”
Is it your goal here to be completely unreasonable? My point in pointing out the difference between Legend of Zelda and Mario is to illustrate that, despite the fact that it IS a good example, they are still two different games. And that will be the case with any and ALL examples. The point of an example is to illustrate a similarity between two supposedly different things. And as Mic pointed out, even in the Legend of Zelda you will find something that will give you an occasional laugh or two.

But to tell you the truth, I think it supports my example even more so. It fits the game well to have Bowser join Mario because it offers more opportunity to expand on the comedic nature of the game, and the nature of the relationship between Mario and Bowser. Conversely, if Ganon and Link were to join forces, it would fit the mature nature of the game by (1) giving the game more character depth and more drama, (2) expanding on the duel-like relationship between Ganon and Link. It would give us an interesting perspective on how two enemies, such as these two, would act had they been forced to team against something bigger than either of them individually.

Now, I'm not saying that after they defeat the Twilight they'll give each other a high five and go for a drink at the local bar. But I think some people here have put forth some great ideas on this, like Ganon taking advantage of the situation and back-stabbing Link when the bigger enemy is gone. And that's just one way of handeling it. Who knows what other creative ways it can be done?

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
ROFL. Hold that thought EnigmaticCam. If Link and Ganondorf do team up to take down this possible new evil, then they SHOULD go down to the local bar and have a drink or two. That is one interesting storyline.

Yes, I like to be COMPLETELY unreasonable. :laugh:

I get what you are saying EnigmaticCam. Sorry for the argument.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Well, I hate to break up the recent squabbling over unconfirmed plot details with some real info, but if you head over to PlanetGamecube.com, they've got an article on a recent interview with good ol' Reggie aired recently on Spike TV. According to the article, he said outright that Twillight Princess will be released in the fall.
My reaction to this info can be summed up on one word. ****!!

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, no kidding. A lot of fans are gonna be in for some more frustration.

Nintendo is trying to use Twilight Princess as the Rev.'s first huzzah instead of the GCN's last huzzah, and I don't like it.

They really should release it in time for summer, because, in my opinion, it will simply sell the best then, when there's nothing around to disrupt it and gamers are left to dry for the summer.

Come fall, no matter HOW popular it may be, the game is going to lose SOME profit from other things, like the PS3 and new XBox 360 titles, etc. I mean, maybe it would sell better because of Christmas, but I just see this Christmas season being WAY too crowded out with things, and Zelda could lose some of its punch. Dangit, I'm gonna annoyed at E3 when they tell us it's not coming out until fall.

And Daniel (on the site) made a very good point--since Nintendo didn't announce a release date before, they'll be getting bad press and negative attitudes because they 'delayed it again.' They DID imply a spring 06 release. Then again, if they've been planning this all along, what else could they have done?

"Oh, it's being delayed for another ENTIRE YEAR."
I'm sure that would have gone well, too.

Long story short, they should've simply waited to reveal this game until it was further along. Now there's so much hype built up that it REALLY needs to be perfect, because people will be annoyed otherwise.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I've actually lost a lot of interest in the game because I'm so annoyed that it hasn't come out. I don't like to get excited over a game when it's first shown and have to wait so long... atleast with such little media. I like little new gameplay clips and stuff that don't spoil anything, but keep me interested. You're right, they should've waited to reveal the game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm not even bothering to wait anymore. Like Starcraft ghost, when it comes out, yay, until then, what game?

Zink

Smash Champion
Man I remember reading about Starcraft Ghost YEARS ago and wondering whether to get it or Halo 1. That was a long time ago people.
Another delay? I'll believe it when it is announced at e3, or when Nintendo Power says so.
BTW does anyone predict a return of Oni Link in TP?

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Well, hold your horses. This just kinda came to me but whats to say you had to do that same concept in MM (doing a whole bunch of sidequest) would reward players with a "Oni" Link power to defeat the final boss. Then reward players to be able to play as "oni" link outside of boss battles. I'm putting one in quotes because it doesn't particulary have to be Oni Link but just a suped-up link to bash brains in with. And I'd like to see alternative costumes like the White and Black costumes from Smash Bros. That would interesting. And I would love just to have a moment to play as a goron. Why? Just because I love gorons.

Zink

Smash Champion
you love gorons, lol.
Anyway the problem I had with Oni Link was that they had an ultimate good power but the ultimate evil, the mask, was a pretty lame boss, so I thought they should bring it back for a better enemy. Plus it was very cool.

I just know someone is going to ask about a Link/Ganondorf fusion power. I just know it.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I see what your saying and that has happened in other games as well where you get the ultimate weapon and the final boss is easy as shoot fish in a barrel. Final bosses w/o the ultimate weapon should be as hard as waking up a Goron on a sunday afternoon after the big spring festival (what?). Final bosses w/ ultimate weapon should be as hard as hell (what?). If they have a Oni Link going on, this is what I expect. Maybe my expectations are too high but oh well.....scraah.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Reggie told gaming magazine EGM that the game will have special functionality when played in Nintendo’s next-generation console. He said, “The trick will be what makes it special to play on the Revolution, and to the extent that we could create something like that, boy, wouldn't that be fantastic?”

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not quite. The date has been changed to "to sometime in the fall." (Sept 1 - Nov 30)

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
The rAt said:
Well, I hate to break up the recent squabbling over unconfirmed plot details with some real info, but if you head over to PlanetGamecube.com, they've got an article on a recent interview with good ol' Reggie aired recently on Spike TV. According to the article, he said outright that Twillight Princess will be released in the fall.
My reaction to this info can be summed up on one word. ****!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! NOOOOOOO-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH!!!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay, I feel better now that I got that out. Zink has a point, I'm not even expecting the Rev's release date to be concrete after E3, but I'm thinking the same thing as Mic (Now that I'm calm again). I actually haven't bought a game for my Cube since last September when Ultimate Spider-Man came out, which almost doesn't count since it was a third-party multiplatform title. Everything else has been handhelds. That's the problem, for anyone who doesn't own a PS2, Xbox, or 360. There really is nothing else right now, unless Sonic Riders turns out to be a sleeper blockbuster, which I guess in an oxymoron, but you get the point. Man, now I really am pissed off. I wish I'd never even heard of this game until now, instead of two years ago, or whenever that first trailer was shown. I agree, Nin had better deliver the best game in their history, or anyone's history, for that matter.

Oh, and did anyone think of a Link/Ganondorf fusion? Oh, wait, sorry. :lick: :chuckle:

No, in all seriousness, I think that should never happen. First Amendment and creativity withstanding, that really would be a ******** and horrible idea. :urg:

Zink

Smash Champion
Yes the worst idea ever.
They can't delay TP again- it'll give gamers nothing besides Riders, which looks okay, until fall, when they will have the Revolution. If it is pushed back that far, I'd expect them to switch it to Rev, even if it doesn't use the tilt-mote, just for better graphics and stuff.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
The graphics look fine to me. I'm ready to invest several hours of my life to this game if it has plenty of features and plot drive to keep me going. If this delay is what it takes, then I'm willing to wait. But I wouldn't think they delay it just for graphic boost when it looks this good already. Maybe if the Revo will make the game more clearer then that might make things more enjoyable. By more clear, like playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on the Gameboy Player compared to the DS, GBA, and SP. I could actually see much better on the player than anyother system. IF the revo can allow the game to be seen better, then getting it for the revo wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Qustion being: Would you get the revo to play TP? Would the extras with revo be enough to convince hard core and causual gamers to get a revo with thier TP?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
So Twilight Princess has been pushed back one whole year now. Wonderful. WTF ARE THEY DOING. They already said it would be staying on the Gamecube, unless they are going to go back on that....

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nope, it's still GC, just is being made to have extra bells and whistles when played on the Rev.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's kind of a good strategy when you think about it. All the existing GameCube owners who have been waiting for this game will be tantalized by the extra features that it will have on the Rev. and may pick the new system up because of it. Although I'm really starting to think Nin should just make a Rev launch title, basically forcing Zelda fans to get the new system. That with the new Smash Bros. title, the still-unknown launch IP that is being developed by Miyamoto, and all the other games at launch would make for an incredible line-up on day one.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Smash get pushed back a bit but still coming out in time for Christmas, much like the GameCube's launch.

Zink

Smash Champion
If they truly are pushing it back all the way to fall, I will expect them to do just that. That might also give them a reason to push back Smash Revolution to the holidays and give themselves a little breathing room.

Top Bottom